Suggestion: HoM skins unlockable via gemstore

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Eodwen.2613

Eodwen.2613

Its been almost 2 years since gw2 released isnt it time to make those skins available to the people that did not play gw1? I myself have a linked account but havent got all of them unlocked. I would love a chance to get some of those skins via the gemstore.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The skins are still available to people who “did not” play GW1. All they have to do is “go play” GW1. Seriously, go play it. It’s still there.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If they did that, people in Guild Wars 1 would rebel. Not just because we want exclusive rewards all to ourselves, but because we put many long months in to get a lot of those skins. Anet said they would be exclusive, compensating us for losing literally five, six years of accumulation. All the best armor and weapons, gone. All our money. Gone. We all had to start over, in a game we never really asked for.

It’s not really that much of a perk to be honest.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Nope, should not happen.

Posted by: JerryMain.4371

JerryMain.4371

Nope, they need to remain exclusive

The Only One [One] – Piken Square

Xenon.4537

You can get the entire GW1 complete pack on steam sale for like 20 bucks. Keep an eye out for it. You would spend that much in the gem store anyway. Why not have an entire game full of content instead? It’s not that hard to unlock the skins the normal way.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

HOM skins are for people who played GW1. If you want them, play GW1.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Yep, you’ll even get a great game bundled totally free with your skins. :-D

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There’s no need to add other ways to get them, it’s still possible to buy GW1 and even newly created accounts can earn HoM points and be linked to pre-existing GW2 accounts to unlock the rewards.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Eodwen.2613

Oh you mean like for people that didnt grind gw1 to the ground back then. So after 2 years of playing gw2 they should go grind a completely different game so they can get a reward in this one. Great logic people. On top of that people had exclusive skins for like 2 years. I bet all of the people that answred no in this thread is people who already have all the skins. I also have 80% of the skins unlocked and i think its a terribly selfish attitude to keep. Isnt having fun in a great game for so many years enough for you people, you need extra rewards in a new game that nobody else can get ever. Yeah playing a game that belongs to the previous generation and its mostly dead atm is a such a great way to get rewards in the game you wanna play.

I think people that have the skins are only a minority, rebeling wont do much, just like when they decided to unlock legendary skins, and to be honest i think people that had the same legendary 2ice have a lot more valid reason to complain.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Oh you mean like for people that didnt grind gw1 to the ground back then. So after 2 years of playing gw2 they should go grind a completely different game so they can get a reward in this one. Great logic people. On top of that people had exclusive skins for like 2 years. I bet all of the people that answred no in this thread is people who already have all the skins. I also have 80% of the skins unlocked and i think its a terribly selfish attitude to keep. Isnt having fun in a great game for so many years enough for you people, you need extra rewards in a new game that nobody else can get ever. Yeah playing a game that belongs to the previous generation and its mostly dead atm is a such a great way to get rewards in the game you wanna play.

I think people that have the skins are only a minority, rebeling wont do much, just like when they decided to unlock legendary skins, and to be honest i think people that had the same legendary 2ice have a lot more valid reason to complain.

It’s not selfish. Those are badges of honor. They’re pride. They identify you.

It’s like getting a boy scout merit badge, but not wanting to join the boy scouts. It ain’t gonna happen. Giving them out to people for cash would devalue them.

I think it’s awfully selfish for you to want to devalue our hard earned rewards.

Xenon.4537

It isn’t even a grind to get most of the HOM rewards. If you complete each campaign, do the bonus objectives, and the hard modes, that’s like half of HOM right there. The rest you can fill out by getting some hero armor, 1 exotic set, some mini pets, and some torm/oppressor weapons.

Danikat.8537

I find it interesting that in the same post you describe it as “grinding it to the ground” and “having fun in a great game for many years”. Maybe I’m using a different definition of grind but to me those are mutually exclusive.

I agree it seems like odd logic. It also seems odd that I have to enter a PvP tournament to get a mini pet. It seems odd that we have to explore a section of The Mists, which is not (in game or in lore) part of Tyria in order to get map completion. We don’t make the rules, Arenanet do.

I’m completely in support of people being able to get the rewards they want, but that’s not the issue here. This isn’t like the shattered wings or the celebration hat. If someone wants the Hall of Monuments skins they can get them. The issue is that you don’t like the way they’re acquired and want to just buy them from the gem store.

You’re right that I have some of the rewards. But I don’t have all of them. I will probably never have 50 points because I don’t like obsidian armor and there’s no way I’m going to get it just for the HoM. But that’s fine. If I wanted 50 points I have the option. I’m choosing not to take it and that’s my choice, not something I can demand that Anet change to suit me.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

They are unlockable by buying GW1 and playing it. Go for it.

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

Fine, but it should be the accumulative cost of Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and EotN (original pricing non-collector’s editions) multiplied by the amount of years it was available to players prior to the release of GW2.

You’re looking around $1200, so whip out that credit card!

Danikat.8537

It’s not selfish. Those are badges of honor. They’re pride. They identify you.

It’s like getting a boy scout merit badge, but not wanting to join the boy scouts. It ain’t gonna happen. Giving them out to people for cash would devalue them.

I think it’s awfully selfish for you to want to devalue our hard earned rewards.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=boy+scout+badge&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.Xboy+scout+merit+badge&_nkw=boy+scout+merit+badge&_sacat=0

;)

Posted by: JerryMain.4371

JerryMain.4371

I bet all of the people that answred no in this thread is people who already have all the skins.

They put effort into it. It’s a reward for that. So seems logical I think. And no I don’t have all of them.

The Only One [One] – Piken Square

Xenon.4537

… I will probably never have 50 points because…

You don’t need 50 points for the skins and minipets. You only need 30. Beyond 30 you only get titles, and it’s only 4 titles extra.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I bet all of the people that answred no in this thread is people who already have all the skins.

I actually hated the game and I still say no.

Danikat.8537

… I will probably never have 50 points because…

You don’t need 50 points for the skins and minipets. You only need 30. Beyond 30 you only get titles, and it’s only 4 titles extra.

I know. But some people want all the titles (and achievement points) as well as the skins and minis.

But mainly I said that because I wanted a specific example of something I’d decided I didn’t want to do. I can’t remember now what other things I could put into my HoM and haven’t done and which of those I’d be willing to do.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Nope, I don’t have all the skins. I have 6 points currently, which unlocks all pieces of the heritage sets. I’ve discovered (if a bit late!) a game that I also really like, I’m not playing it for the skins but for the fun of it. I see it as a nice bonus, that progressing in GW1 also gets me shinies in GW2! I didn’t put any “effort” in to get those heritage pieces unlocked, just normal gameplay and I’m currently halfway in the Factions expansion, having finished Prophecies before that.

Eodwen.2613

The titles are enough proof you played gw1 imo. Some skins are nice and should be considered to be sold for gems maybe rework them a bit so they are not the same as the hom ones, then people wont have to feel “betrayed”.

Danikat.8537

The titles are enough proof you played gw1 imo. Some skins are nice and should be considered to be sold for gems maybe rework them a bit so they are not the same as the hom ones, then people wont have to feel “betrayed”.

Except then people who collect skins will still want both to get the complete set and we’re right back where we started.

Well, right back where we started with some extra cash for Anet.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Yeah, why not? We might as well completely remove anything that links GW1 to this.

Eodwen.2613

Hmm i think people that have no skins dont really care and people that do have some of them really dont want them to be available so i guess there arent any people that would want this

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

However, if we get reskins of these exclusive items then people will still be betrayed.

You have seen Anets “reskinning”, haven`t you? Put some glitter on it and make it smooth, that`s what we got with our champion bags. Reused assets dumped in glitter.
Oh and look, they even transformed a HoM Greatsword into a champion 1-Hand-Sword… with purple glitter…

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

~snip~ Great logic people. On top of that people had exclusive skins for like 2 years. I bet all of the people that answred no in this thread is people who already have all the skins. I also have 80% of the skins unlocked and i think its a terribly selfish attitude to keep. Isnt having fun in a great game for so many years enough for you people, you need extra rewards in a new game that nobody else can get ever. ~snip~

EXCEPT YOU CAN GET THEM!!!! It’s already been pointed out how to do so but, I’m positive that you’re already aware of how to do it. Instead of being a dramaqueen and making unevidenced accusations about the integrity of other people, why don’t you use some of that LOGIC you claim we are lacking and EARN them the same way we all did.

I’m so tired of reading all these ‘entitled brat’ posts. My young son is at school but I can just come on here and have the exact same kind of arguements. It’s childish and sad really. Calling other people “selfish”…LMAO.

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

Nope.

Buy GW1 and earn them like everyone else.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

100% no.

Do you realise the effort I put in to get HoM skins? They’re for the GW1 veterans, they give us something to show for it. You CANNOT take that away from us and give them to people for MONEY. Just go play GW1 if you really care that much!

| Lithia |

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I don’t have GW1 skins and I love them,… but I still disagree with this. People who played GW1 deserve their special heritage armor. It wouldn’t be a heritage armor if anyone could get them at the store.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Jovel.5706

However, if we get reskins of these exclusive items then people will still be betrayed.

You have seen Anets “reskinning”, haven`t you? Put some glitter on it and make it smooth, that`s what we got with our champion bags. Reused assets dumped in glitter.
Oh and look, they even transformed a HoM Greatsword into a champion 1-Hand-Sword… with purple glitter…

This.

It was a bad move when ArenaNet grabbed the HoM Fellblade, shrunk it down to a one-handed sword (the GW1 Fellblade was a one-handed sword btw, which some of us would have preferred it to be), then gave it a more prominent effect with purple patterns. All this while the GW2 Fellblade looks dull, chipped, and that effect it had in GW1 was replaced with smoke outside of the blade.

Do not touch the HoM items, don’t even reskin them. If you want the HoM stuff grab GW1 and earn them like the rest of us.

Posted by: Aethelbert.1497

Aethelbert.1497

Its been almost 2 years since gw2 released isnt it time to make those skins available to the people that did not play gw1? I myself have a linked account but havent got all of them unlocked. I would love a chance to get some of those skins via the gemstore.

No.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

As a long time GW1 player (I started in June after the original release in April), I’m not overly apposed to this suggestion, it would remove the only REAL remaining reason for Anet to gain GW1 software sales (besides the fact that the game IS really good and worth playing). That fact alone is why I doubt this will ever happen (and there will be some “outrage” from certain GW1 players….not me, but others).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: BardaTheHobo.9752

BardaTheHobo.9752

I’ve said this once before and I will say it again; nobody should get to wield a fiery dragon sword without knowing who Prince Rurik is first.

Dextarr Thunderfuse – Charr Engineer
Rragar Ragehammer – Charr Warrior
Achilles Adrastos – Human Warrior

Posted by: Fasalina.6571

Fasalina.6571

Nope, those skins are for people that played GW1 a lot, and yes me included. If you want them go play GW1 like us if you want them.
In the game I’m currently playing there are some champions skins (talking about LoL) that only people that played in the beta have ie. King Rammus. It’ll all about pride, it’s about “Been there, done that”.
YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO GET THEM. Just realize there are some things that you can’t simply flash your credit card and get.

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

When you buy GW and link the accounts you get 3 HoM points, which is enough to get the heritage shoes, great coat, and pants. Just buy the game. You may even like playing it.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Belisario.3410

Belisario.3410

Nope. Not gonna happen.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I’ve said this once before and I will say it again; nobody should get to wield a fiery dragon sword without knowing who Prince Rurik is first.

Know who he was AND survived his LEEEEEEROY moments.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I have an alternative sugestion… add a new item that costs, let’s say, 1600 gems (hmmmm), that delivers you a big magical book called “history of tyria” (alternative books called “history of cantha” and “history of elona” also available for the same price). Once your character opens that book, it’s magically transported into the body of a mighty human hero that lived 250 years ago, so you can relive his/her story and that of his/her companions (AKA loads GW1), and once you end their storyline you get items that can make you earn unique rewards like these.

So, in a way, they’d be adding the HoM rewards to the gem story and keep everyone happy..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m completely against those skins being available without going through the GW1 process. They were designed for the players of the old game and show that the person using them has Been There.

I say that as someone that would love the skins but is not willing to play GW1. I knew months before launch of GW2 that I could go through GW1 and secure some lovely skins. I chose not to. At that time I was looking forward to GW2’s lack of grind, totally sick of the WoW dailies and treadmill, and simply could not face the idea of learning a new game just to grind out stuff.

Then GW2 launched and totally absorbed me for a long time. Now and then I considered trying out GW1 despite not wanting a game that requires min max skill in complex builds (I suck at min max in every game I ever play). People in my guild play it, they’d help me out with learning the ropes and gathering the HoM things. I’d see the story first hand. But … I don’t want to spend my time on that.

So I can’t have the skins. End of story. Asking for them in the gem store is like asking for the Dungeon Master title in the gem store so you can pretend you’ve completed every path of every dungeon when you haven’t.

Jovel.5706

I have an alternative sugestion… add a new item that costs, let’s say, 1600 gems (hmmmm), that delivers you a big magical book called “history of tyria” (alternative books called “history of cantha” and “history of elona” also available for the same price). Once your character opens that book, it’s magically transported into the body of a mighty human hero that lived 250 years ago, so you can relive his/her story and that of his/her companions (AKA loads GW1), and once you end their storyline you get items that can make you earn unique rewards like these.

So, in a way, they’d be adding the HoM rewards to the gem story and keep everyone happy..

“(AKA loads GW1)”

All this trouble just to get a copy of GW1? 4,800 gems is $60. You can buy the Trilogy plus EotN for less than that. I also doubt ArenaNet will allow people to buy GW1 with GW2 gems, lol.

Also earning the HoM rewards and titles was alot more than just completing the campaigns. You had to buy unded miniatures, buy prestigious weapons, acquire prestigious armor sets throughout the game one of which is earned at the Fissure of Woe, earn titles, and dress your heroes up in hero armor, and to fill the monuments you had to get your hands on tapestries.

AKA, you had to play GW1 to earn them. Not just run from beginning to end at each campaign for goodies.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

“(AKA loads GW1)”

All this trouble just to get a copy of GW1? 4,800 gems is $60. You can buy the Trilogy plus EotN for less than that. I also doubt ArenaNet will allow people to buy GW1 with GW2 gems, lol.

Also earning the HoM rewards and titles was alot more than just completing the campaigns. You had to buy unded miniatures, buy prestigious weapons, acquire prestigious armor sets throughout the game one of which is earned at the Fissure of Woe, earn titles, and dress your heroes up in hero armor, and to fill the monuments you had to get your hands on tapestries.

AKA, you had to play GW1 to earn them. Not just run from beginning to end at each campaign for goodies.

Well, that’s not entirely true. I didn’t buy any mini-pets, or buy any weapons, or ever do the Fissure of Woe. Getting tapestries was very easy, I still have some in my bank. But, you do have to play the game(s) in order to acquire the items needed to place in the HoM.

I just ‘earned’ my 35th point (and accompanying title) this past weekend. Lol. Opened some birthday presents (so lucky I hadn’t already received those two previously from birthdays) and got the last two minis I needed to complete the Devotion section of the HoM. Yay!

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I think of it sometimes, picking up GW1 just to earn the points, but then I would almost feel like a poser – nah, I think it’s ok the way it is.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

No,

I bought GW1 and unlocked for HoM skins. This would make me upset.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

Nope. I loved GW1 enough to spend way too much time working on getting those HoM skins. There’s no reason why you shouldn’t be working on getting a copy of GW1 to put in the same amount of effort the rest of us have.

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

I hope they’ll do it some time. The people who played GW1 can have them for free and have them free to apply, the ones that didn’t play that game can pay for it and get it too and have to spend charges. Everyone happy.

I’d like to get me some HoM skins but I’m not going to play a completely different game that is 10 years old, outdated, doesn’t seem like a fun game to me and as far as I heard isn’t even a MMO.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

So I guess every skin, titles and mini pets should be buyable in the gem store too. I mean, I want the reward but I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to get it with cash if I don’t want to go through the hassle of getting it.

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

I hope they’ll do it some time. The people who played GW1 can have them for free and have them free to apply, the ones that didn’t play that game can pay for it and get it too and have to spend charges. Everyone happy.

I’d like to get me some HoM skins but I’m not going to play a completely different game that is 10 years old, outdated, doesn’t seem like a fun game to me and as far as I heard isn’t even a MMO.

GW1 free? Every GW1 holder has to pay the box copy or key for the game. It’s not free.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

They should never make these skins available in any other way than GW1 and Hall of Monuments.

And there’s nothing keeping anyone from buying GW1 (probably for a lot cheaper than these skins would be at a gemstore) and getting those points.

Same progress for everyone, it’s fair.

(edited by Traveller.7496)

Posted by: Vexander.9850

Vexander.9850

Having a number of the skins and such myself, I really don’t see why opening up HoM rewards to the Gem Store is a bad thing. I mean, you still get rewarded for earning the rewards in HoM which achievement points after all, and access to the Hall of Monuments anytime, anywhere (seriously, that has come in -so- useful whenever I’ve had to go AFK at random). There are also the titles with are exclusive to having played GW1…

Honestly, the skins are probably among the more visual rewards and all but I’d be fine if they were purchasable on the Gem Store.