[Suggestion]How to stop Gold sellers..

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phage The Blighted.6350

Phage The Blighted.6350

Get rid of gold. Convert everything to karma or some other account bound currency that cannot be traded, that is so easy to acquire that it would be of no benefit to sellers even if they could, and heap it upon your players in such quantity that they will never want for more and you don’t have to manage a economy. Artificial scarcity generates need. Need that real people with actual scarcity will prey upon to fulfill their own needs, real or imagined. The way you prevent a fire is to deny it fuel. So deny the gold sellers gold. Give them nothing to work with and they will leave you alone. And don’t become them in the process for the sake if a few extra bucks.

Posted by: Groundkiller.1578

Groundkiller.1578

That is an interesting idea but then I believe there would be no incentive to do dungeons or try and get rare loot in fractals (unless you are farming) because if as you said “heap it upon your players in such quantity that they will never want for more and you don’t have to manage a economy” and the inflation would be ridiculous because whenever you wanna sell something very rare you would sell it at a price that would give you the most “money”, like precursors would be 5 000 000 000 karma (example) and legendaries I dont even want to imagine.

Being lazy takes pratice

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

OR make gold account bound(if this is even possible) on acquire but still useable through the TP and merchants, not being able to be sent to others, that is the only way I can see getting rid of gold sellers.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Both ideas are vary interesting.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

That would fix the problem, but it would also create two other “problems”:

1. Since every item can be obtained as a matter of time (I’m presuming your system functions like a “token redemption setup” where rare gear is freely available, but at a high token cost), it would completely eliminate the feeling of “jackpot!” when a rare item drops for you. For some (many) players, this is an important feeling and a large part of their enjoyment in RPGs. It’s why players grinded hours in games like Diablo, and why Black Lion Keys continue to remain so popular. People like to feel like they’ve won the lottery; eliminating rare loot drops would deprive these players of that satisfaction.

2. If every rare item can be obtained if a player plays long enough, it would alienate some players who like to feel unique or special. That is, they have gear/titles that few or no other players have. Thus, you’d lose out on these players as they move to other games.

Speaking for myself, I’d still play a game under these rules, since I honestly do not care what other players are using and I’m more of a slow, methodical player, but I recognise that I’m not the majority here. ANet has to compromise between the needs of players from both sides, and what we have now is fairly decent as compromises go.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Ability to trade with others (using the TP) is kinda big part of the game. Would be quite a change to remove that completely.

Im Mudbone.1437

Ability to trade with others (using the TP) is kinda big part of the game. Would be quite a change to remove that completely.

In my suggestion I did mention TP use.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

only real way to fight goldsellers is to fight goldbuyers – its same as it is in all games in last 20 years

permaban 1000 goldbuyers and noone will buy gold anymore from this sites so its not profitable anymore and goldseller lose their job

simple

and i bet its easier for arenanet to find goldbuyers than goldsellers

Ameepa.6793

Yes, but the OP’s completely account bound currency would eliminate all kinds of trading with other people.

(edited by Ameepa.6793)

Im Mudbone.1437

Yes, but the OP’s completely souldbound currency would eliminate all kinds of trading with other people.

There is no trading between players, that’s why there is a TP.

Ameepa.6793

Yes, but the OP’s completely souldbound currency would eliminate all kinds of trading with other people.

TP is exactly that, trading between players. You are buying stuff from other players and selling your stuff to them. If the currency would be account bound and non-tradeable like OP suggested, you would not be able to do that.

Im Mudbone.1437

TP is exactly that, trading between players. You are buying stuff from other players and selling your stuff to them.

Never mind your not getting it.

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

OR make gold account bound(if this is even possible) on acquire but still useable through the TP and merchants, not being able to be sent to others, that is the only way I can see getting rid of gold sellers.

they can just put a crap item for a lot of gold and then buy it. Gold is then transferred.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Im Mudbone.1437

they can just put a crap item for a lot of gold and then buy it. Gold is then transferred.

That wouldn’t work because of the TP fees involved meaning the gold sellers would lose money and if you say, “well the gold sellers could just charge more for their gold”, it wouldn’t be worth it as it would probably be very close to what you can get it for buying gems and converting to gold.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

If they want to stop gold sellers, they need to start selling official gold (or gems in this case) at a comparable price.

I can totally understand the temptation to spend just a few dollars for a big chunk of gold, especially since they have actively tried to hinder any in-game gold gains outside of TP flipping (which not many have the knowhow or resources to do) in hopes that people buy their “official” gold instead. The quote above pretty much admits it.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

That wouldn’t work because of the TP fees involved meaning the gold sellers would lose money and if you say, “well the gold sellers could just charge more for their gold”, it wouldn’t be worth it as it would probably be very close to what you can get it for buying gems and converting to gold.

You are greatly underestimating how far gold sellers will go to sell gold. As long as players can transfer anything amongst each other in any form, gold sellers will exist. It doesn’t matter how much gold they have to forfeit in the transfer, because stealing gold is still free.

The only way to stop gold sellers is to make every single thing account bound. Even then, they’ll sell loaded accounts and services.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Im Mudbone.1437

You are greatly underestimating how far gold sellers will go to sell gold. As long as players can transfer anything amongst each other in any form, gold sellers will exist. It doesn’t matter how much gold they have to forfeit in the transfer, because stealing gold is still free.

The only way to stop gold sellers is to make every single thing account bound. Even then, they’ll sell loaded accounts.

Or, you’re overestimating, I still think this would work if it could be done.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

As players, we are in a far more powerful position to combat gold sellers than ArenaNet are.

We don’t need to lose our right to help out gaming friends when they need gold. We just have to use the most powerful tool we have to spread the word about how band gold buying is.

Use your respective server communities to your advantage by using map chat to explain what these gold sellers do and that there’s only one real safe way to buy gold, and that’s through The Gem Store.

I know it seems like common sense to most of us that buying gold is dangerous and wrong, but not all players are experienced in MMOs. Some players don’t understand the dangers of these websites, and others are not experienced with the internet altogether, and when they see these genuine looking websites, there’s no sense of danger whatsoever.

If everyone speaks up in map chat just how against gold buying and selling ArenaNet, and we are the message will get through about hacked accounts are used.

Oh, and don’t forget to block and report every single whisper and map chat message you see. They’re slowly losing their numbers now anyway.

<3

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Ameepa.6793

Never mind your not getting it.

I’m not getting it because I got a feeling from OPs post that he wants to change much more than just to remove the ability to send gold by mail. That could be achieved simply by removing the ability to mail gold. No need to bind anything or change currencies and mess up the markets.

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

You can talk this subject around-and-around until you’re blue in the face…but it still won’t change anything – you only have to do a quick search on google to see that once gold sellers dig their claws in, it’s practically impossible to get rid of them.
All of the ideas in this thread have been discussed countless times before, on countless other threads, in countless other forums – the outcome always being the same, although it’s fun to think that your idea is going to be the one that ‘seals the deal’ and gets rid of these parasites, once and for all, newsflash! – it’s never going to happen.

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

Uh, actually that’s exactly what gold sellers do in other games. A game I used to play mainly had gold trades done through the TP to try to be more sneaky, and yes, they had TP fees as well. Gold sellers don’t give a kitten.

Restricting gold to the TP would just make them trade gold to players through it, therefore not hindering them at all, but greatly hindering the legitimate playerbase.

Terrible suggestion.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

The trouble is, if you account bind gold, they’ll change from being Gold Sellers to Ecto Sellers. Then it’ll be something else, then something else, then something else. They’ll find a way round it each time.

The best way to fight gold sellers is to speak up against them. We have something the gold sellers don’t have: each other. We have friends, guildies, and a voice. Speak up against them, warn people of the dangers. They can’t fight that.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

only real way to fight goldsellers is to fight goldbuyers – its same as it is in all games in last 20 years

permaban 1000 goldbuyers and noone will buy gold anymore from this sites so its not profitable anymore and goldseller lose their job

simple

and i bet its easier for arenanet to find goldbuyers than goldsellers

How would that discourage anyone? Gold sellers regularly steal accounts, use them to spam advertisements, and people still buy gold from them. If people are dumb enough to use the same email address (and password) to sign up on the website of a gold seller who openly flaunts that they steal accounts, they’re going to be dumb enough to think Anet will never catch and ban them.