Suggestion: In-game player counter at events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Noobix.3958

Noobix.3958

Please for the love of god Anet, provide an in-game counter or representation of players on at events that require balanced splits of players.

We are getting the same “Lane 1 syndrome” as marionette. More than half the players flood the bottom lane of the Vinewrath event and the middle lane is left with less and the top lane with less still on pugmaps. The encounter requires an equal split of players on the map by design, so help players out and give them a representation of what is at each lane. A little ‘Point capture’ circle such as those in sPvP that counts players that stand in it at ‘Choppers inbound’ phase and shows this number on the Metaevent UI.

Players at bottom: 44
Players at middle: 20
Players at top: 8

As an experienced commander of Triwurm and Tequ, I am well aware of the difficulties commanders face in coaxing players into creating balanced and equally split groups. This system need to be in place for Triwurm as well to be honest. It should be the commanders job to explain strategy and recommended skills etc. Not to type /supplyinfo every 15 seconds and update /map with their playercount.

Please stop making me the commander that is kitten on for failing the event when the #1 problem I faced was actually getting players to assist me with the event.

“Lol top commander sux, bot and mid did fine”

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I agree with this, but at marionette it was easily countered when the commanders per lane would work together.

Eventually the more map focused players would ask in map chat where their help was needed, so I’d say this is just a matter of time before players start going to the right spot.

I’ve got no clue how many numbers are needed @ vine, but once that number is reached commander of that lane simply put: Lane “kitten ” Full, plz join Mid/Top

At which MID/TOP can respond with (examples <3)
10/15 MID, need more
TOP full, Join MID.

Also whispering people to move lane seemed usefull.

Just a thought:
Possibility for your suggestion to work counter-effective? As some new/inexperienced/don’t care player runs to the group with highest numbers as he thinks that’s the best shot to succeed?

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Noobix.3958

@GoA

Yukk i didnt think of the newbie ‘flood highest countered lane’ thing. But maybe with enough education in our lovely mapchat they could be persuaded that the goal is actually to get the #’s to be roughly equal.

I do whisper people. I do preach in mapchat as often as i can. Sometimes its just not enough. We really need a game-mechanic to assist us with this. Otherwise…

MORE
COMMANDER
FEATURES

My point is that commanders shouldnt have to do this level of busywork. Its essentially playing the game for people and thinking for them.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Have players stack on commanders.

I’m also curious as to what the minimum number of people are needed to kill each champ.

Guardian of Angels.9867

This is PvE, not WvW :P
They tend to listen less well ^^

aka Holy Blood Guardian

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I remember them adding some cross-event tracking for Assault Knights, but it kept bugging out each patch, until they finally removed it. Not saying that we don’t need it (“Come on, I have like 3 people at Gold-Silver!” “Need more at Indigo!” “Whatever, 4/5, Indigo failed…”), but it looks like they do not really have means to provide such functionality.

20 level 80s and counting.

Noobix.3958

Yeah this is kind of the main issue. They wont do that if you ask them. Doesnt matter how nicely you plead. Actually getting people to do what you need for the event to succeed is very hard. Thats why I suggest an ingame representation of it so the game mechanics do the work. Not the commanders.

Ayrilana.1396

This is PvE, not WvW :P
They tend to listen less well ^^

PvE or WvW doesn’t matter when it comes to commanders and stacking. Players had no problems stacking for Marionette to get counts not was there ever a problem for doing the same for Triple Wurm. I have also not see any commander ask for players to stack to get player counts.

Guardian of Angels.9867

I have also not see any commander ask for players to stack to get player counts.

Hi there, I’m that player you haven’t seen :P
I do a headcount, as most players tend to afk anyway till event start.

aka Holy Blood Guardian

Ayrilana.1396

I have also not see any commander ask for players to stack to get player counts.

Hi there, I’m that player you haven’t seen :P
I do a headcount, as most players tend to afk anyway till event start.

That’s another way of doing it which is usually done after a stack count.

I suppose one method would be to put a banner somewhere for people to group up in and then have it give a count of those within range similar to the NPC commanders at the borderlands.