[Suggestion] Infinite Gathering tools per alt

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

Can the infinite gathering tools once purchased come in mail to every character, similar to the 2 week banker etc? I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t, they are account bound so not like having a copy on each alt changes anything?

I have tons of alts and I keep switching between them daily, and I hate having to go to bank, put the tools in, then out with another char, then back in, then out…

Only thing that would change is me spending less time, and not spending extra 3 silvers to port to bank; which shouldn’t be a huge deal I think?

Posted by: Eggman.1405

Eggman.1405

Only thing that would change is me spending less time, and not spending extra 3 silvers to port to bank; which shouldn’t be a huge deal I think?

Not exactly the only thing that changes, ANet gets less money.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

They would much rather you bought one for each alt.
Be thankful they’re at least account bound at all, at first they were all soulbound to the first character to use them. Being able to move them to the alts I’m currently playing is huge even with the inconvenience of having to bank them.
Easy solution though would be to allow you to mail stuff to yourself, methinks.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

I’d say no… but I wouldn’t be angry if they did it. But I don’t want them to stop production on the new skins on them. I really like having the choices we do and want more. This sort of change would get rid of any of their incentive to make new skins on the tools and that would make me sad. Lol

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

Well, I’m not buying any until the tools like the OP suggested.

Why?
Because I want my convenience to be hassle free and not revolve around some convoluted method of waypointing/travelling to WvW or double dipping for bank access/golem.

So it is a question of how many tools less they would sell to people that buy them for multiple characters vs how many more tools they would sell from people like me.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Honestly, they should make those available in the same way as the achievement chest rewards. Double-click on it from the panel, and it drops into your inventory.

Bam, done.

Heck, if they wanted to sell a different gathering set that did just that, I’d be pulling out my card again. (So long as it doesn’t look dumb. Jack-in-the-box, really? -_-)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

Not directly related, but something that would help me and those that move them from alt to alt would be an account wide inventory bag. Then we could just put something we wanted to move to a different character in there.

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

It would be nice if they appeared as an icon on the inventory menu, maybe right above your gold count so you can see them across all your alts.

ALSO it would be nice to have a window like the finishers window. Just click on the one you want active if you have multiple.

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Would be better if they had told people that the Watchwork pick would be back on sale, before they let people buy the Bone Pick on a LIMITED PERIOD offer, THEN the next week put the watchwork one on sale …….

Or let us freeking swap to the better one that some of us were lead to believe would not be on sale again, OR let th Bone pick have a equal bonus like the Watchwork one has , especially for those of us that didnt get to be in LS1 to get the Node for sprockets……

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Can the infinite gathering tools once purchased come in mail to every character, similar to the 2 week banker etc? I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t, they are account bound so not like having a copy on each alt changes anything?

I have tons of alts and I keep switching between them daily, and I hate having to go to bank, put the tools in, then out with another char, then back in, then out…

since it dont’ change anything and not a big deal, there is no point arguing about it.

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

I’m all about immersion.

Eight people somehow simultaneously holding the same gathering tools doesn’t sound immersive.

In fact, you missed the threads that popped up protesting the announcement of “account-wide gold”. Saying that magically having the same wallet in everyone’s pocket at once was breaking immersion.

What you are asking for is a convenience, but NOBODY would call it immersive.

“But they DID change that, so why can’t they change this?”

In the end, I think the issue is that these are actual items, and go in a slot that is also being used for NON-infinite versions. The question is, “Can they code this to work this way WITHOUT reprogramming the game from scratch and WITHOUT breaking anything while they do it?” The answer to this is usually “no” – programming is not magic, it has rules. I don’t pretend to understand them, but there are people on these forums who DO know programming, and can back me up on the fact that it’s complicated to make “small” changes, when they’re tied into core gameplay – everything touches everything else.

If it is possible for them to do without more work than it’s worth digging through, then maybe – maybe – this can eventually happen. I put those odds somewhere in the realm of microscopic, though.

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

I’d like a Royal Terrace pass for all my alts while they’re at it.

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

I’m all about immersion.

Eight people somehow simultaneously holding the same gathering tools doesn’t sound immersive.

In fact, you missed the threads that popped up protesting the announcement of “account-wide gold”. Saying that magically having the same wallet in everyone’s pocket at once was breaking immersion.

In the end, I think the issue is that these are actual items, and go in a slot that is also being used for NON-infinite versions. The question is, “Can they code this to work this way WITHOUT reprogramming the game from scratch and WITHOUT breaking anything while they do it?” The answer to this is usually “no” – programming is not magic, it has rules. I don’t pretend to understand them, but there are people on these forums who DO know programming, and can back me up on the fact that it’s complicated to make “small” changes, when they’re tied into core gameplay – everything touches everything else.

If it is possible for them to do without more work than it’s worth digging through, then maybe – maybe – this can eventually happen. I put those odds somewhere in the realm of microscopic, though.

You consider it non-immersive simply because you consider these items to be unique. I do not. It’s purely player’s choice whether they want to run around believing this pickaxe is unique, or believing there are many copies. I fall into the latter category. In fact I can buy 8 copies now, I’d just have to spend ton of money. ANET should understand no one will, they’ll rather pass them through the bank (unless these are different skins – then I might buy another one), thus this suggestion. This would change nothing, just make it more convenient.

I am a programmer, surprise surprise. Unless you have their code, you cannot state one way or the other whether a change would be difficult or easy. It depends on how they coded that piece, they might have coded it badly, they might have coded it well. I am not making any statements here as to how easy or complicated it’d be to make the change, I am just suggesting they make the change.

Rauderi.8706

Unless you have their code, you cannot state one way or the other whether a change would be difficult or easy. It depends on how they coded that piece, they might have coded it badly, they might have coded it well. I am not making any statements here as to how easy or complicated it’d be to make the change, I am just suggesting they make the change.

Worst case scenario, they either:

A – Search purchase histories for tool purchases and distribute them per character, similar to the deluxe package rewards.

B – Have to do another swap-at-vendor like they did for the soulbound-to-accountbound exchange, then make them available via another method (like the chest reward panel).

Neither one is particularly hard.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

The tools were originally soul bound on equip. Anet made a compromise by making them account bound thus taking a loss in tools sold. Those who had multiple of the same tool got gem refunds. I think the current system is fair. If you want the connivence of having tools on alts without going to the bank then buy multiple tools. There has to be a line drawn some place. Anet is not a not for profit organization.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Rauderi.8706

The tools were originally soul bound on equip. Anet made a compromise by making them account bound thus taking a loss in tools sold. Those who had multiple of the same tool got gem refunds. I think the current system is fair. If you want the connivence of having tools on alts without going to the bank then buy multiple tools. There has to be a line drawn some place. Anet is not a not for profit organization.

Which makes me wonder what the metrics are on people who buy multiples. Because you know ANet loves metrics.

Really though, I wonder if they could develop a new standard of items at that point:

The truly infinite pick/sickle/axe set: Account-wide convenience for all your characters. On next log-in, each will receive a mail with the infinite use tool you selected.

Special tools: Since there’s so much murmur about the Watchwork pick (“unfair!” “pay to win!”), release special tools that have better bonuses, like giving year-round access to limited-time items (Candy Corn Sickle? Snowflake Axe?) or a higher chance of rare gathers (hidden troves, extra hits?). These would be the account-bound, single-character items.

Seeing as GW2 is already the most convenient MMO ever, I’d consider these just bonuses. I do just fine with my infinite use set as is.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

They’d probably sell a lot more infinite tools if all your characters could use them, because the number of people who’d buy one set of them is probably a lot higher than the number of whales who’d obsessively buy one set for every character.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

They’d probably sell a lot more infinite tools if all your characters could use them, because the number of people who’d buy one set of them is probably a lot higher than the number of whales who’d obsessively buy one set for every character.

People said the same thing, “They would sell more if they were account bound instead of soul bound,” back when they were soul bound. A lot of people bought them when they were soul bound for multiple characters, myself included. There was a flood of refund requests for duplicates when they went account bound. Anet was cool enough to honor that. My point is the way it is now with them being account bound was a compromise. I wouldn’t expect it to change beyond this. The current system IMO is more than fair.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Would be better if they had told people that the Watchwork pick would be back on sale, before they let people buy the Bone Pick on a LIMITED PERIOD offer, THEN the next week put the watchwork one on sale …….

Or let us freeking swap to the better one that some of us were lead to believe would not be on sale again, OR let th Bone pick have a equal bonus like the Watchwork one has , especially for those of us that didnt get to be in LS1 to get the Node for sprockets……

Given that they were bringing back pretty much all of the different limited time gem store items (in sequential order I believe) from week to week it was pretty obvious (to me at least) it would be back, unless they specifically decided to skip it for some reason, and I hadn’t seen anything to indicate they would. I felt like they telegraphed it well enough, but you did have to be paying attention and give it some thought.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Hechicera.9816

Hechicera.9816

Not from me. I have alts, lots of alts! Sometimes I reroll them … even after they are 80. I refused to buy the tools when they were soulbound to one character. I only bit now they are alt-friendlier.

An ideal would be a tool claim like you can claim achievement skins now. So if they were even more convenient I’d probably consider alternate weapon skins to have for use on different characters/new alts. But now, I’ll see one that might be nice to see on two characters and then think how much hassle remembering who had which tool last will be and rethink that extra purchase. I’ll likely stick to one of each instead. Three banks slots only perma-used and no “Who has the tool? DUDE! Where did I leave my tool?” spreadsheet style tracking needed.

Players want a warm fuzzy when considering a purchase, this suggestion would give me that. Now I have a “Ugh, hassle” feeling, so no sale. Before, as a serious maker of alts, I had the oh no that is a bad purchase for me feeling and refrained totally. Make the game more alt friendly (and I’m partly back due to changes so far that direction) and I’m more likely to spend on those alts: and play them, and keep logging in, and maybe buy other crap if I feel I’m having fun and not fighting the interface.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’d like a Royal Terrace pass for all my alts while they’re at it.

Wish I could sell you all the ones I got out of BL chests over the past few weeks…..those are the most worthless storage slot takers of all time.

^^ THIS ^^
The old adage, “give ‘em an inch and they’ll take a mile”, comes to mind with this request. Again, the economic model of this game REQUIRES Anet to sell gems to keep the servers running…. If you need more perma-tools, buy them.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

^^ THIS ^^
The old adage, “give ‘em an inch and they’ll take a mile”, comes to mind with this request. Again, the economic model of this game REQUIRES Anet to sell gems to keep the servers running…. If you need more perma-tools, buy them.

But it isn’t a question of “giving” anything. It’s a situation of “Offer to sell them an inch, and some will pay. Offer to sell them a mile, and lots will pay.”

I like supporting the game, but right now I would get little to no benefit from an infinite gathering tool because I would wind up transferring it between characters via the bank more often than I currently go to a vendor. And vendors are more common.

A convenience item needs to be convenient in order to be worth the investment. If the tools are meant to be there for the skins, then making them account wide gives them the same usage as every other gem store skin. Many people who currently wouldn’t buy any infinite tools because they aren’t account wide would wind up buying lots because they can put different skins on all their characters.

No one is asking for charity here. They’re telling ANet that this is the kind of product they will spend money on.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Not directly related, but something that would help me and those that move them from alt to alt would be an account wide inventory bag. Then we could just put something we wanted to move to a different character in there.

I wanted to second this post . I love this suggestion, beyond all the others. A special, additional (beyond the normal max of 8 ) bag slot that can be purchased that spans all of your characters.

This idea not only benefits the infinite tools being easier to move character to character but several other items. I move ascended and legendary items between characters. If I use sharpening stones on multiple characters I could just keep one large stack in that bag. Boosters could be kept in the bag. Etc.

I think this is a great idea and I believe many people would buy this from the gem store, I sure as hell would.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I’m all about immersion.

but, they could’ve kept them soulbound, increased the price and send it in mail to every current alt and any alt created, just like the golem banker from the delux upgrade.

And this is exactly what they should’ve done.
I’d pay 1500gems for an infinite tool on ALL my alts.

laokoko.7403

I’m all about immersion.

but, they could’ve kept them soulbound, increased the price and send it in mail to every current alt and any alt created, just like the golem banker from the delux upgrade.

Obviously, but maybe someone will pay a bunch of money for a few gathering tool for each alt.

I dont’ think Anet make wardrobe or dye account bound for charity. If they actually think they’ll make more money making gathering tool for every character, they might do it.

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

I’m all about immersion.

Obviously, but maybe someone will pay a bunch of money for a few gathering tool for each alt.

I dont’ think Anet make wardrobe or dye account bound for charity. If they actually think they’ll make more money making gathering tool for every character, they might do it.

If all they were after was the money from you possibly buying gathering tools for alts, then they wouldn’t have released the wardrobe, either, because it negates the chance that you’d buy a gem store armor skin you really like for multiple characters.

laokoko.7403

I’m all about immersion.

If all they were after was the money from you possibly buying gathering tools for alts, then they wouldn’t have released the wardrobe, either, because it negates the chance that you’d buy a gem store armor skin you really like for multiple characters.

Unless you are very good. There is no way you’ll know which is more profitable. Because making things account bound also raise the desire to acquire the items.

I don’t know the answer. If you are 100% sure, so be it.

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Making the proposed change would also reduce the incentive for them to make new ones. For instance, I have all 9 of the unlimited gathering tools currently released, so I get to have them on 3 alts. There’s an extra sort of convenience factor in doing that. If they could just be endlessly replicated, that aspect would disappear that would make purchases of the newer tools less desirable.

I think the suggestion does make sense in principle, but they want that convenience factor to be absent so that there’s still some incentive to buy the new tools they release.

Although admittedly, I mostly buy them just because I want to support the game

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Making the proposed change would also reduce the incentive for them to make new ones. For instance, I have all 9 of the unlimited gathering tools currently released, so I get to have them on 3 alts. There’s an extra sort of convenience factor in doing that. If they could just be endlessly replicated, that aspect would disappear that would make purchases of the newer tools less desirable.

I think the suggestion does make sense in principle, but they want that convenience factor to be absent so that there’s still some incentive to buy the new tools they release.

Although admittedly, I mostly buy them just because I want to support the game

Well there’s always gems to gold to support the game :P.

As it is, I won’t be buying anymore infinite tools. They are very annoying to move from alt to alt and as such spend most of their time on my “mining” char.

I know many others look at infinite tools go “yeah, don’t have to buy but..still have to swap it, so still annoying.”. There’s alot of people who don’t buy them because. If you hop from alt to alt.(and I do so, often.) They’re actually more annoying than just using ori tools. and keeping 2 in inventory everytime you pass a merchant.

Posted by: pejay.2164

pejay.2164

I’m totally seconding Gimli’s suggestion. I also use at least 3 alts daily and I also do a trip through bank. And I totally wouldn’t be buying new set for every character unless I fall in love with a different skin because I would consider that to be exploitative from GM towards the players. So far game management worked to make the game more convenient to players rather than themselves. I don’t see how making these tools work the same way as AP chest skins would be different.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

when they were made account bound, they should have done this, or something similar. its just inconvenient and annoying to bank swap them. and GW2 was supposed to be about getting rid of those annoyance things in mmos…….

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Well, I’m not buying any until the tools like the OP suggested.

Why?
Because I want my convenience to be hassle free and not revolve around some convoluted method of waypointing/travelling to WvW or double dipping for bank access/golem.

So it is a question of how many tools less they would sell to people that buy them for multiple characters vs how many more tools they would sell from people like me.

And, Anet will totally not miss your money because they can potentially earn 6 times more from someone else who’ll buy multiple copies of those for conveniences, whereas you’ll only buy once.

Posted by: Preserver.8457

Preserver.8457

^^ THIS ^^

But it isn’t a question of “giving” anything. It’s a situation of “Offer to sell them an inch, and some will pay. Offer to sell them a mile, and lots will pay.”

I like supporting the game, but right now I would get little to no benefit from an infinite gathering tool because I would wind up transferring it between characters via the bank more often than I currently go to a vendor. And vendors are more common.

A convenience item needs to be convenient in order to be worth the investment. If the tools are meant to be there for the skins, then making them account wide gives them the same usage as every other gem store skin. Many people who currently wouldn’t buy any infinite tools because they aren’t account wide would wind up buying lots because they can put different skins on all their characters.

No one is asking for charity here. They’re telling ANet that this is the kind of product they will spend money on.

This guy hits the nail on the head. Account-wide click-to-claim infinite tools are an instant purchase for me. There is something about the extreme convenience that makes me feel warm and fuzzy, while at the same time supporting a game I like.

On the flip side, if the current method really is there to annoy people into buying multiple copies (as opposed to it just being easier to develop), that’s a huge turn off. That kind of thinking is the reason I don’t even play many F2P games, let alone give them my money.

Also, would be nice if the Copper-fed Salvage-o-Matic were similarly click-to-claim.

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

or you can just go into the the HotM every time you switch chars to deposit the tools, and pick them up on the character you are going to use. OR just use the Christmas tools, I seem to always have an unending amount of those

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

It would be terrific if they did, but I don’t see it happening. Especially if they already paid out refunds when the account-bound change was made.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Next time they have the Frostbitten tools, or an equivalent, stock up on those. That will give you a large number of cheap tools that each alt can have, and only take up 3 inventory slots for 750 tools per char.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Tink.9486

Tink.9486

And this is exactly why I refuse to buy these tools, 1000 gems for 1, id pay 3000 or higher for every char rather than toon swapping all the time to exchange them, are they nice , sure, would I pay for 1 for 1k gems, hell no, id rather buy them as I use them on my chars. Same for the Unlimted Savlage , again nice but not really you still have to Pay to use it, so why would I spend 800 gems and then spend more $$ in game to use a item, rip off, bottom line. And no the Luxury of not having to buy them when I need them and taking less inventory space is even worth it.

These items are for you to spend and spend so you have the Luxury of ease, well id rather find a merchant than double pay. Plus you can easily Hit B enter a WVW area then use the LA portal and free port. Some things are worth gems, these however are beyond a gem sink.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The inifite gathering tools and the salvage-o-matics are not money makers. The exact calculation comes out to some years of play and use needed to recouper the const investment. They are strict convenience items.

Having 1 added to each character increases your convenience at no extra cost, thus anet makes less money. Not going to happen.

ps. be happy they made them account bound in the first place. the inifite gathering tools used to be soulbound.