[Suggestion] Inspect player skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PaperJax.1954

PaperJax.1954

As the title states, I would love to inspect people just to see which skins they are using.

I completely understand why there is no inspect option to see what gear/stats people are using and that makes sense to me but I think it would be a great idea to be able to see which skins they are using.

Just my thoughts.

Feel free to leave your own ^_^

Elementary, my dear Holmes, you drink tea, while I drink Red Bull.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Rakiasa.9270

Rakiasa.9270

This might seem like a stupid question but, is there any way to inspect other players? I would like to be able to inspect another in game player to say view their gear or maybe see what skins they are using etc… Is there a way to do this or similar? Or maybe even an armory or profile on a website?

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

The only inspect functionality is in PvP at the moment.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

There isn’t.
Usually if you really like the skin of other player you can just send a whisper asking to ping their gear, most of the time the person will gladly do that, at least I love when others ask me for it

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

The only inspect functionality is in PvP at the moment.

and even then all you can ‘inspect’ is the weapon skins, not the armor skins.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

You can always ask someone to ping their gear, however GW2 seems to leave that at the player’s discretion.

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

Posted by: Rakiasa.9270

Rakiasa.9270

Okay thanks!!! Yeah I just ask the player haha!

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

I like this idea. Most people that I’ve asked about their armor or weapon skins have been nice enough to reply. But it still feels like I’m imposing when I ask. Also, you catch sight of some people just before they waypoint off somewhere else and there’s no time to ask.

PaperJax.1954

Yea, that’s exactly my thought.

I’ve asked a fair few people too and I think normally they are happy enough to let you know too.

It makes me happy when people ask me cause usually they compliment me too so I think others would feel the same way.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I would be fine with this, as they obviously don’t affect gameplay in any way.

When people ask me which skins I’m using, I’m happy to answer, but it would make it easier for them if they could just find out for themselves.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

I get asked about my giant lightsaber almost every time I play my ranger (King Toads Greatsword). I always link and tell them where it came from, but I think this is a great idea.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Sure, take away what little incentive there is left to strike up a random conversation with people, further making the game a little less social…

Personally I like it when people ask me what skin my equipment is. It allows me to chat with them and provide insight on how to acquire it. Granted, it doesn’t happen very often, but it’s a cool thing when it does.

I say leave it as it is to keep that element of spontaneity.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

PaperJax.1954

Zera, I suppose you have a point. Although, I find that I chat to random people more often in this game than any other game I have played. Usually through Map chat rather than actually whispering people about their gear.

I do enjoy chatting to people when inquiring about gear but I don’t think it will take away from that too much. You can still ask someone how to obtain something if you know what it’s called.

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Sure, take away what little incentive there is left to strike up a random conversation with people, further making the game a little less social…

Personally I like it when people ask me what skin my equipment is. It allows me to chat with them and provide insight on how to acquire it. Granted, it doesn’t happen very often, but it’s a cool thing when it does.

I say leave it as it is to keep that element of spontaneity.

I don’t think I have ever told someone what my sword was without then having to explain where I got it and what the Super Adventure Box is. I don’t think it would actually detract from the people who do ask questions, but would be very nice for the very large portion of players who do not like to whisper and ask questions.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

IMO, I think this would be a better way to start a conversation with the person displaying skins that you’re interested in. It would get the “stupid questions”(what skin is that, what dyes) out of the way and let you get to the more interesting parts of the conversation – “How did you earn that skin?”, “Why did you use _ dye, and did you think of using ______ dye instead?”
If the other person is willing, and if there is time, etc… They can then answer more informed questions, getting to the interesting part of the conversation more quickly. And if not, then they can just say something like “I’m sorry, but I need to go meet my guild mates right now. Can you please just inspect them? Maybe we can discuss it later if you like.”
It also works better if the person wanting the skin/dye information has little time. they can just inspect, take down the info, and move on to what they need to be doing.
So I think that skin/dye inspection has advantages that would be worthwhile. Providing it just gives skin and dye (cosmetic) info only, and no gameplay-relevant info.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

lol why do you need to be sneaky. be friendly. talk to the person and ask him what skins are he using.

say if you see a hot female character, say “sup girl. looking good.”

PaperJax.1954

IMO, I think this would be a better way to start a conversation with the person displaying skins that you’re interested in. It would get the “stupid questions”(what skin is that, what dyes) out of the way and let you get to the more interesting parts of the conversation – “How did you earn that skin?”, “Why did you use _ dye, and did you think of using ______ dye instead?”
If the other person is willing, and if there is time, etc… They can then answer more informed questions, getting to the interesting part of the conversation more quickly. And if not, then they can just say something like “I’m sorry, but I need to go meet my guild mates right now. Can you please just inspect them? Maybe we can discuss it later if you like.”
It also works better if the person wanting the skin/dye information has little time. they can just inspect, take down the info, and move on to what they need to be doing.
So I think that skin/dye inspection has advantages that would be worthwhile. Providing it just gives skin and dye (cosmetic) info only, and no gameplay-relevant info.

I agree. It’s kinda less intrusive if you don’t want to bother someone or it lets you get into a conversation about how to obtain different things more quickly.

Also, I was thinking about the dye colours too just before, I like that idea too :]