[Suggestion] Key Ring [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/41g7yg/pact_crowbars_exalted_keys_chak_acid_machetes/

Just thought I’d forward this information on to here as well. People want this really bad, and I see it being a great opportunity for ArenaNet to put in a type of gemstore item that would upgrade the inventory account-wide that could place an icon at the bottom of the inventory window, similar to where the Wallet button is, but have it for a Key Ring so it would put all your Keys in there.

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Isn’t that why they introduced the 5-shared inventory slots in the gemstore?

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s more than 5 different keys out there, you know.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Vegeta.2563

1. Permanent Bank Access Express
2. Personal Trader Express
3. Tarrktun Personal Delivery Portal
4. Copper Fed Salvage-o-Matic
5. Mystic Forge Conduit

Yeah.. Sorry I’m not gonna put keys in a 700 gem slots.

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

5. Mystic Forge Conduit

At 100 gems a pop I would have bought 20 of those slots. Having a cap of 5 slots and for the price they go for I will not be buying them.

An account key ring or adding keys to the wallet would be a very nice addition.

Posted by: archmagus.7249

archmagus.7249

I think I know what the next Gem store addition will be…

Posted by: Arietta The Broken.1875

Arietta The Broken.1875

Ironically, 5@500 gems with 4 slots would have probably made them more money :v

They just need to add the keys to the wallet :/

You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

5. Mystic Forge Conduit

lol. mine goes: CFSoM, conduit, tarrktun, bank, TP

totally agree that keys need to go into the wallet.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yup. Gimme wallet keys. Annoying when I can’t open something on my alt.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

an exciting screenshot!

Attachments:

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

Rather than make a whole new storage method/system for them, I think that keys* should just go in a “key ring” section of the wallet.

• keys = anything used to open a locked container, including crow bars, chak acid, machetes, and anything else that Anet might make up for opening locked containers

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Rather than make a whole new storage method/system for them, I think that keys* should just go in a “key ring” section of the wallet.

• keys = anything used to open a locked container, including crow bars, chak acid, machetes, and anything else that Anet might make up for opening locked containers

In general, the guideline ought to be:

• For any stackable, account-bound item that does not require interaction, give it a line in the Wallet.

Currencies are already in place, and now it’s time for “key” items to be in there as well.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Necrotic.7820

Necrotic.7820

What I don’t get is this: GW had lockpicks after a while that were used universally for the most part, to open locked chests found in any zone map. Why did they think it was necessary to create a new key for every new zone in GW2? (nevermind, it’s likely cuz none of those people are still around)

Now I do NOT want a repeat of that…with lockpicks being something you buy…but yes why not a key ring in our wallet for all of these things which each toon must have, even though every character on our account can access our coins and other stuff…I might get closer to using up my crowbars then.

Also…this should just be an add on to the wallet….not a gem store purchase.

Elden Arnaas.4870

GW1 has different keys for each of the different regional chests. The difference is, lock picks open any chest. They are a drop and can also be sold, if you would rather do that.

It would be nice to have a universal lock pick for GW2, but I think it would be better to just put keys in the wallet.(If we can only have 1 of those 2 choices)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

GW1 has different keys for each of the different regional chests. The difference is, lock picks open any chest.

Well, except the Zaishen Chest, right?

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

GW1 has different keys for each of the different regional chests. The difference is, lock picks open any chest. They are a drop and can also be sold, if you would rather do that.

It would be nice to have a universal lock pick for GW2, but I think it would be better to just put keys in the wallet.(If we can only have 1 of those 2 choices)

They were required for hard mode. There was also a chance for multiple uses out of one key.

We have a bunch of different keys here because they decided to have a different currency for every map. Any new map they add would just make things worse.

Elden Arnaas.4870

Yes, forgot the Zaishen Chest. But you know what I mean.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

On the subject of keys, why does the Found Bandit Chest in my home instance need to be opened with a key, when I already completed the collection quest to get it?

And given that it does, it’s really annoying to be playing some alt, go into that alt’s home instance and discover that you don’t have any bandit keys on that alt. If you must force me to unlock the bandit chest, at least an account wide key ring would make this less frustrating.

Posted by: Sassy.1697

Sassy.1697

We need a Key Ring…

We need unified and simplified systems.

Not just for keys.
I think everyone is aware of the current flaws.

Sure your suggestion is valid but the problem doesn’t have to exist to begin with.
Bad/Unhealthy systems have to be fixed at their core.
No more band aid tactics.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

We need a Key Ring…

Not just for keys.

Sure your suggestion is valid but the problem doesn’t have to exist to begin with.

the point of all the different keys is that they have to be earned by doing content in that region, if it were simplified people would just find an easy farm and grind a billion keys. i think its actually a good system aside from the inventory bloat which a key ring would take care of.

PLEASE NOT A GEM STORE THING, keyring should either be like the account wallet how everyone just got it or perhaps more interestingly earned somehow in game, because if things keep going as they have where more and more types of keys keep getting added it will not be a convenience it will be a necessity

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: MonteCristo.2065

MonteCristo.2065

I think a Key ring is a GREAT idea.

A few posts above are not on the same page with OP’s original idea.
Keys will still only open the relevant type of chest or box so people would still need to go to different areas in the world to get the keys.

Simple concept, all the keys you currently have are stored together in an account wide key ring and then the key ring can be put in a account wide inventory slot so all your toons can open any chest (provided you have the right key).

(edited by MonteCristo.2065)

Posted by: Fowidner.6930

Fowidner.6930

Here is my inventory… (just used all of my crow bars though) First bag filled with keys and boxes and salvage kits. And at this moment I cleaned my inventory with all armor salvaged etc. Since shared inventory slots I saved 5 more slots. Most of the times I have to do it with about 10 open slots. I had a really hard time when I was busy with the HOPE legendary collection. At top point I had half of the open slots filled with collection items.

Plx Anet give me something like a Key Chain and a bag/storage for Tonics (I have 30 slots in bank full of tonics….)

Attachments:

Posted by: LovelyVirus.9432

LovelyVirus.9432

They don’t want give you key ring or put all the key in wallet. Why? Because of one thing called : " gem purchased " . I have played a lot of MMORPG game and they usually do it , just fill up your inventory with a lot of item and force player buy expansion slot bag . I don’t blame ANET because they’re a company , they must do their business .
However , when i feel uncomfortable with their game , i quit . There’re tons of game out there i want to try , such as : Blade and Soul , Black Desert ….. and upcoming is Lors Ark , Lineage Eternal …

(edited by LovelyVirus.9432)

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Plx Anet give me something like a Key Chain and a bag/storage for Tonics (I have 30 slots in bank full of tonics….)

I’ve recently thought that it would be a great idea if Unlimited Tonics got their own tab under Hero as well (similar to the Wardrobe, Finishers and Miniatures). You just open the tab, select which tonic you’d like to apply to yourself, and voila.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I can see it happening:

NEW IN THE GEM STORE FOR ONLY 9000 GEMS - ULTIMATE KEY RING!

I imagine it’d be a similar copy-paste from the wallet… except in key form. Anything that can open a container is deemed a key, essentially.

Posted by: ravenoak.2459

ravenoak.2459

or alternatively let us buy 30+ more shared slots:)

Posted by: Fowidner.6930

Fowidner.6930

They don’t want give you key ring or put all the key in wallet. Why? Because of one thing called : " gem purchased " . I have played a lot of MMORPG game and they usually do it , just fill up your inventory with a lot of item and force player buy expansion slot bag . I don’t blame ANET because they’re a company , they must do their business .
However , when i feel uncomfortable with their game , i quit . There’re tons of game out there i want to try , such as : Blade and Soul , Black Desert ….. and upcoming is Lors Ark , Lineage Eternal …

Well I would love to buy more inventory bag slots or bank space. But I already have maxed out the inventory and bank upgrades… And still having problems with full bags and a full bank

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I would think if they sold an account wide key ring in the gem store for a REASONABLE amount almost everyone would buy one. Of course that would eat into their inventory bag slot sales so they might need to price it higher than most people would find reasonable. It would save a ton of storage slots, but it’s more about the convenience for me.

Posted by: Steinpilz.5078

Steinpilz.5078

Essences of Nightmares
Bandit Skelton Keys
Keys of Greater Nightmares
Piles of Silky Sand
Zephyrite Lockpicks
Machetes
Pact Crowbars
Silverwastes Shovels
Exalted Keys
Vials of Chak Acid

All these items occupy inventory space.
Can they not please land in storage instead?

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

We need a “key ring” for the wallet so that all your characters could have access as needed.

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

essences of nightmares and piles of silky sand are both consumables but I definitely agree with everything else on the list. Stop hogging all my inv anet

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

We need a Key Ring…

Not just for keys.

Agreed.

Adding a ‘Keys’ tab to the wallet would be optimal.
(And if the wallet is going to have tabs, it would make sense to separate dungeon tokens into their own tab to keep things organized.)

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Sassy.1697

“the point of all the different keys is that they have to be earned by doing content in that region, if it were simplified people would just find an easy farm and grind a billion keys. i think its actually a good system aside from the inventory bloat which a key ring would take care of.”

There are WAY better systems than this. Soft direction of players is also a good thing.
The changing map rewards are good for example. Very lightweight – still an incentive to direct players to specific locations.

All keys -> lockpicks (Yes it would be like GW1 – I know!)

You would still have different loot from the chests themselves like ambrite things in drytop and so on.

Quantity of the keys would still be the same. The players could simply decide where to spend them.

Also what would be wrong with farming/buying keys in silverwastes and spending them in Aurin Basin (eg.)? You would still need to do both maps and AB chests are limited like all the other chests.

Maybe even go as far as to add a value to keys (lockpicks) so you can sell them to a merchant (or even TP).

Also add values to every item in the game. Deleting things feels bad. Even cheesy values like 4silver for an ascended ring are better than drag&drop delete.
(psychological aspects here beware! :P)

(edited by Sassy.1697)

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

We need a Key Ring…

Not just for keys.

The “problem” needs to exist so that Anet can make money. Flood players with items, lots and lots of items, and they’ll have to buy more storage space AND convenience stuff.

It’s very much in Anet’s best interest to keep the system more or less like it’s working now.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Sassy.1697

“The “problem” needs to exist so that Anet can make money. Flood players with items, lots and lots of items, and they’ll have to buy more storage space AND convenience stuff.
It’s very much in Anet’s best interest to keep the system more or less like it’s working now.”

I am very much aware of that. This neither invalidates my statement nor is it any good for the players (which I put the focused on here).

Bags in Bags, Tonics and other gimicky items do their part at cramping up inventory/bank spaces.

Unless you were pointed at another gemstore convenience item as in:

-1000Gems Key-Ring with 2 Slots

-Additional Slots 500Gems

I would not agree here. We also got enough “base game cut-outs” as it is – meaning it’s near to impossible to enjoy the game without any gemstore item.
Especially now with the good old expansion system in place A-Net could reduce the gemstore and shift back to a GW1 layout.
And yes – I know these tactics are common these days. I just keep thinking about the days where no game integrity was sacrificed in order to earn more money. Let me keep dreaming.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

One of GW2’s biggest strengths has been a commitment to laudable Quality of Life decisions: bank tabs that count as inventory, wardrobe, deposit items to bank from anywhere, selling to the Trading Post from anywhere, the transition to the Wallet for currency items.

All very fantastic, and I see other MMOs either straining to catch up or consigning to being tremendously old-school inconvenience. Considering that “key” items are more or less equivalent to currency, it’s a convenience that should happen, especially as the game ages and the number of key items continues to grow.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Vegeta.2563

Here is an article of what a lot of players are asking for. A Key Ring..

http://guildwarshub.com/gw2-key-ring-mock-up/

I have also gotten some huge feedback for this as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/41g7yg/pact_crowbars_exalted_keys_chak_acid_machetes/

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Here is an article of what a lot of players are asking for. A Key Ring..

http://guildwarshub.com/gw2-key-ring-mock-up/

I have also gotten some huge feedback for this as well.

Why make a new thread and not post this in the existing thread a few below your new one on the front page that even has a dev response?
(It’s not a useful dev response, this isn’t Reddit or anything, but it still highlights the thread to show they are likely aware of many players’ desire for this feature)

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Why make a new thread and not post this in the existing thread a few below your new one on the front page that even has a dev response?

I’ve merged the threads into the original post on this subject. We ask all forum members to please take a moment to see if there’s an existing thread on a specific subject, rather than creating a new one. (At least glance through the first couple of pages.) Having a merged or cumulative thread helps the devs, in that they can read your accumulated feedback in one thread, and not scattered in a half-dozen over multiple pages.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I agree regarding the key-ring. It would be very handy and clear some needed space in the inventory.

Kima & Co

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

The “problem” needs to exist so that Anet can make money. Flood players with items, lots and lots of items, and they’ll have to buy more storage space AND convenience stuff.

It’s very much in Anet’s best interest to keep the system more or less like it’s working now.

By that thinking they should keep offering more storage space for sale. I’m maxed on bank tabs, most of my alts are maxed on bag tabs, I can’t buy more. But, as a pack rat, I fill up the space I have and yearn for more room to hold all my shinies. I’ve even not bought some things because I didn’t think I’d use them soon enough to warrant using an inventory slot on them.

A key ring would be a substantial QoL, allowing me to freely move from alt to alt depending on what skill set I feel like using in the various zones, while also freeing up a number of slots to fill with more gem store items … ditto a booster wardrobe where you buy up charges similar to limited use finishers.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Wasted bag space for no reason >=(

Please fix.

Or let us have more than 8 bags.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

I can only +1 on keyring.
Really annoying to get the fancy to go on a map (answering taxi LFG), with a character that doesn’t have the currency.

I also dream of a blueprint holder that would allow an account-wide access to blueprints (how many times am I in WvW, with everyone asking who has x plan, cause all of us who carry plans around are on alts).

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Really annoying to get the fancy to go on a map (answering taxi LFG), with a character that doesn’t have the currency.

….or entering your home instance to farm the Found Bandit Chest, amongst other things, only to discover that it needs a bandit key and the alt you’re using doesn’t have any.

(And why does the Found Bandit Chest need a key anyway? It’s found! I took the time to complete it’s collection quest. It’s mine, tarnations! Who’s coming into my instance and locking the darn thing?!?!)

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

….or entering your home instance to farm the Found Bandit Chest, amongst other things, only to discover that it needs a bandit key and the alt you’re using doesn’t have any.

(And why does the Found Bandit Chest need a key anyway? It’s found! I took the time to complete it’s collection quest. It’s mine, tarnations! Who’s coming into my instance and locking the darn thing?!?!)

It’s not the same Bandit Chest.

Everyday someone goes out to the Silverwastes and combs the desert for a Lost Bandit Chests and delivers them to some cities. It’s become “found”.

Considering this person also has to transport trees and fresh herbs and lumps of ore and crystal and candy and gifts and random scraps of cloth and chests of magic items and repair the sprocket generators everyday and now you want them to unlock the Bandit Chests, too? Why does nobody think of the NPCs?

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

What are you people carrying around that you don’t have 4 or 5 slots total in your bank and on your character?! They want to sell bag slots, they’re not going to do that if you have no clutter. How hard is it to keep your keys in the bank then take relevant ones out when you go to certain zones? They already put almost everything in the wallet sheesh. I have a feeling some people must just curl up in the fetal position when they have inventory management in a single player game.

Posted by: Kamikae.9536

Kamikae.9536

I know it’s been tossed around but I want to start a discussion of how a keychain could be created and how it could work. Personally I believe we need a keychain after the manner of the wallet, but I understand that others may have different or even better ideas here. My goal is to create a clear plan to request from Anet to improve QoL.

My frustration and basis for a QoL update request is that with HoT plus Silverwastes and Dry top, there are a LOT of key and key like items clogging up my inventories. Furthermore the system is unfriendly towards using alternate characters in the aforementioned areas since you need to constantly transfer the correct key or key like items.

I propose that an account keychain be created that stores all the keys, machetes, chak acids, and fractal encryption keys including other items of that sort.

My questions are should it be for everyone like the wallet? Should it cost gems or gold? Should only HoT players receive it since theoretically they have the greatest need for it? Should it be an unlock such as a collection or mastery? Or does someone have a radical new idea that could make the current system more friendly to alternates characters and inventories ( especially since inventory space is at a premium)

rMBP 15-inch, Late 2013 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

It should be for everyone like the wallet.
It should not cost anything.
All players should receive it since it has use in all of Tyria due to many unintentional and unmentioned key-like items (I.E. Aetherblade).
It should not be an unlock.

The best way to handle this is to just get rid of keys altogether and use a different system to open boxes such as acquiring energy from kills and charging a bar or something since keys and events are inherently tied together doing the same gosh-darn thing.

“Keys” would be tied to activities instead of characters. Charges are just as easy to manage as a currency and have less physical “presence” making them easier to encapsulate without need to worry about their tangibility (and tradeability) between characters.

Call it a “Blessing of Maguuma” or whatever.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

This has indeed been tossed around a lot and discussed a lot and all that remains is for a response (and hopefully implementation) from anet. (Grud, I sound like a broken record.. :< )

In response to your specific questions:

1. Should it be for everyone like the wallet?

Yes.

2. Should it cost gems or gold?

No. It’s a standard QoL feature.

3. Should only HoT players receive it since theoretically they have the greatest need for it?

Hell no. And I say that as a HOT player. Everyone needs this.

4. Should it be an unlock such as a collection or mastery?

Hmm… much as I like collections and this sounds intriguing.. it would cause a lot of discontent. It needs to be just enabled for all by default. After all, all we’re talking about here is adding currencies to the existing wallet.

5. Or does someone have a radical new idea that could make the current system more friendly to alternates characters and inventories ( especially since inventory space is at a premium)

Anet’s radical new idea is the shared inventory slot – but that won’t help with this since there are only five maximum and they’re overkill for this issue anyway – the wallet just needs to house all currencies. End of story.

Posted by: Eyehorus.4923

Eyehorus.4923

I would like to suggest that a shared key ring be created. This would allow all characters on an account to access every key owned. This would included crowbars and chak acid and anything that opens a door, cache or chest (not all keys take the form of a key). It should include all keys from new maps plus any dungeon keys and even dwarven keys. How many times have you gone to a location and realized that you left your bandit keys on another character? The key ring could be sold in the gem store or be a crafted item or maybe even a reward. I feel it should be placed at the top of the inventory screen with the shared bags that are already available in the gems store. If anyone else likes this idea please suggest this as well.

(edited by Eyehorus.4923)