[Suggestion] Legendary Acquisition

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

Okay, here is my understanding to Anet’s attempt to earn a Legendary. They basically want you to just play the game. By playing the game and doing a variety of things you will eventually earn all the mats and precursor and gold and skill points you need to craft your Legendary weapon.

HOWEVER, it is a grind to get your precursor and many other T6 mats. Grind = Suck.

I offer a solution. ArenaNet says we can play the game the way we want to play the game. Allow players the OPTION to purchase a Legendary for 1000 Skill Points (give or take however many skill points to keep it balanced).

Think of it this way, if it takes approximately 45 minutes to an 1 hour to level, which gives you one skill point, then it would be roughly a 1000 hours played to purchase a Legendary Weapon. Maybe a 1000 skill points is not enough or maybe it is too much. That can be discussed and I would like to hear the community’s thoughts on this.

Another way would be to purchase a Legendary Weapon by completing 10,000 or 20,000 Achievement Points. Again, the basic premise is to earn the Legendary by PLAYING the GAME and not grinding. The amount of Achievement Points needed is up for debate.

If the 1000 skill point option is palatable to the devs and community, then should it be a 1000 skill points from a single character or maybe from multiple characters? Maybe skill points should go in the Wallet like Gold and Dungeon Tokens?

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Um…how about no.

A simpler solution: Precursor Crafting.

Would create an appropriate amount of grind.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Posted by: Wolfbane.8719

Wolfbane.8719

To me not having Legendarys (and items for them) account bound, took all the prestige away from having one. Why bother when anyone can just “buy” one. They should have been something worth the work to get.

Zephyron.7081

When was the last time anyone had 1000 skill points? I hate the idea of “an appropriate amount of grind.” IMO, there is no such thing! It shouldn’t be about grind, although, one could argue that getting skill points would be just another grind, but at least it is NOT a grind that is the laborious task of doing the same thing over and over again.

If you really want to add prestige to earning a Legendary Weapon, then make based on being able to complete a certain series of very difficulty achievements – a combination of every aspect of gameplay: from combat to jumping puzzles.

STOP THE GRIND!

Zephyron.7081

I’m not saying to make getting a Legendary easier. I’m saying it should be more FUN to get a legendary.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

When was the last time anyone had 1000 skill points? I hate the idea of “an appropriate amount of grind.” IMO, there is no such thing! It shouldn’t be about grind, although, one could argue that getting skill points would be just another grind, but at least it is NOT a grind that is the laborious task of doing the same thing over and over again.

If you really want to add prestige to earning a Legendary Weapon, then make based on being able to complete a certain series of very difficulty achievements – a combination of every aspect of gameplay: from combat to jumping puzzles.

STOP THE GRIND!

I have thousands of unused skill points, it’s simply too easy.

BTW it’s only a grind if you don’t enjoy what you’re doing. Stick with activities you enjoy and you will find it isn’t a problem at all.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Maps above level 80 with higher level mobs which drop teir 6 armor have teir 6 farms. With out a large squad 50+ probably wont be survivable. Mobs argo lower levels a lot harder you will be swarmed mobs have increased damage and armor. To counter this drop tables for mobs higher level then you are also higher.

These maps could be considered guild content/untamed wild where holding any position in it is a fight for survival.

For precursor open world champions like pavilion that have to be soloed and give back story of weapon as you fight or afterward. 3 parts to each battle easy medium and hard phase. Exponential difficulty and rewards precursor for completion. Instanced so any number can try. Location of these bosses found by talking to a lore keeper of race legendary is attached to. One try per day per boss. A way for hard as kitten bosses to be added with a reward that matches.

Less grind and much more interesting maps and fights in PVE from both of these.

(edited by Fafnir.5124)

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Just to burst OP’s bubble, I have >1k sp scrolls sitting in my bank, and maybe another stack or two sitting across all my characters, since I am running low on bank space.(In short, it’s not hard to get 1k sp at all)

I am all for less grind, but as far as I can tell, precursor is the only thing barring most from having a legendary, since it’s the only all or nothing component.(which, I guess, is also why Anet take forever to implement precursor crafting, they afraid once it become a stable process, rarity of legendary will plummet.)

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Just to burst OP’s bubble, I have >1k sp scrolls sitting in my bank, and maybe another stack or two sitting across all my characters, since I am running low on bank space.(In short, it’s not hard to get 1k sp at all)

I am all for less grind, but as far as I can tell, precursor is the only thing barring most from having a legendary, since it’s the only all or nothing component.(which, I guess, is also why Anet take forever to implement precursor crafting, they afraid once it become a stable process, rarity of legendary will plummet.)

I thought this was ways to reduce grind or make it more interesting not what can you add so i can spend my 1k scrolls on. you are going to want them for the new skills that will cost 50 each just saying.

Posted by: ITheNormalPerson.9275

ITheNormalPerson.9275

at ~50s per sp (which imo, they’re more around <10s, but that’s because i’m not a tp-centric player), 1000 skill points would only be worth 500g, just saying.

I’m all for an improved way to obtain a legendary (without making them easy to get), but I don’t think this is the way to do it. to balance it, it would have to be such a large amount of skill points that it would still be a grind, just a different kind.

personally, I think the main problem is the lack of ways to obtain a precursor (I think it’d be cool to incorporate it into the achievement system, in particular, the “weapon mastery” achievements), and that farming items (T6 mostly) ISN’T viable (at least not nearly as much as farming gold to buy it)

Druid main, 80 on all, Legendary ranked, Eternal and all that jazz (I go by Feyris in game)

Cuddy.6247

To me not having Legendarys (and items for them) account bound, took all the prestige away from having one. Why bother when anyone can just “buy” one. They should have been something worth the work to get.

They’re still expensive. It’s not like you’re doing yourself much of a favor by buying a Legendary directly instead of working on it.

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

I thought this was ways to reduce grind or make it more interesting not what can you add so i can spend my 1k scrolls on. you are going to want them for the new skills that will cost 50 each just saying.

My point being, what some may consider hard/challenging/interesting, can be easy/boring to others.(in this case, just double click for a few minutes for me)

With that say, I am not against less grind or having alternative ways, but it’s better to keep your expectation low, as it’s in Anet’s interest to keep legendary from the majority.

Cuddy.6247

When was the last time anyone had 1000 skill points? I hate the idea of “an appropriate amount of grind.” IMO, there is no such thing!

No. MMOs, actually – RPGs in general, aren’t designed to reward rarity without some amount of grind. With the 10 Clover recipe it’s fairly easy to get some T6 mats and some of the materials can be acquired at much cheaper prices using T5 conversions.

I’m not sure what games everyone else has been coming from but I can guarantee I haven’t played a RPG that rewarded anything of value that easily.

Precursor crafting is still a must-have since it’s the biggest annoyance as far as Legendary hunting goes. Everything else just requires some amount of determination and actual work, it won’t just fall in your lap.

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

I have 7 stacks of 250 SP scrolls (legacy of FG farming) and at least 400 sp on my most used character. I’m sure lots of people have even more.

It would make it extremely trivial.

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

When was the last time anyone had 1000 skill points? I hate the idea of “an appropriate amount of grind.” IMO, there is no such thing!

No. MMOs, actually – RPGs in general, aren’t designed to reward rarity without some amount of grind. With the 10 Clover recipe it’s fairly easy to get some T6 mats and some of the materials can be acquired at much cheaper prices using T5 conversions.

I’m not sure what games everyone else has been coming from but I can guarantee I haven’t played a RPG that rewarded anything of value that easily.

“RPGs in general, aren’t designed to reward rarity without some amount of grind.” is some weapons grade bullkitten.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Allow players the OPTION to purchase a Legendary for 1000 Skill Points (give or take however many skill points to keep it balanced).

Another way would be to purchase a Legendary Weapon by completing 10,000 or 20,000 Achievement Points.

Actually can buy legendary weapons with skill points. Right now. No features or patches needed. Pull up your link to Egg Baron’s material promotion spreadsheet, and start promoting materials for profit. A quick glance suggests skill points are currently worth about half a gold, so it’ll take you roughly 8000 skill points to buy Eternity, around 6000 for Bolt, 4000 for Kudzu.

As an added bonus, your idea to put skill points in the wallet is entirely superfluous. Any character can promote materials with just a single skill point, contributing to the eventual purchase of a legendary weapon of your choice.

Now, for achievement points, the first 10000 points gets you about 240 gold (gold reward, plus selling gems and T6 mats from laurel rewards). This change effectively increases this to 4000 gold. Well, for the few thousand players who make it to the trading post before the market crashes (and possibly the server, too). Blackgate alone would put more than 1000 new legendary weapons on the trading post, which increases the supply by around 600%.

If this second suggestion were to be implemented, legendary weapons wouldn’t be, because everyone really would have one. Or two. Or three. And then the precursor market crashes because no one is crafting legendary weapons, which screws the rare and exotic market because no one is crafting precursors, and well, if for some reason you thought the game economy was wonky now

The only way I could see this happening is if ANet is about to EoL the game. “You get a legendary, and you get a legendary, everybody gets a legendary!”

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

With Scrolls of Knowledge, you can grind for skill points just like you’d grind for gold. Carfting, dungeon running, champ train, eotm, etc. On top of that it would make playing your alts useless, since you’d want to be on that one character at all times.

So… No…

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

~~ snip ~~

looks like someone just hit 1000 SP. Congrats on that dude! You want a legendary for that? Oh wait, yes you want. I’m soon hitting 2k SP, can I get 2 legendaries please?

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: ugdup.2371

ugdup.2371

Allow players the OPTION to purchase a Legendary for 1000 Skill Points (give or take however many skill points to keep it balanced).

Another way would be to purchase a Legendary Weapon by completing 10,000 or 20,000 Achievement Points.

Actually can buy legendary weapons with skill points. Right now. No features or patches needed. Pull up your link to Egg Baron’s material promotion spreadsheet, and start promoting materials for profit. A quick glance suggests skill points are currently worth about half a gold, so it’ll take you roughly 8000 skill points to buy Eternity, around 6000 for Bolt, 4000 for Kudzu.

As an added bonus, your idea to put skill points in the wallet is entirely superfluous. Any character can promote materials with just a single skill point, contributing to the eventual purchase of a legendary weapon of your choice.

Now, for achievement points, the first 10000 points gets you about 240 gold (gold reward, plus selling gems and T6 mats from laurel rewards). This change effectively increases this to 4000 gold. Well, for the few thousand players who make it to the trading post before the market crashes (and possibly the server, too). Blackgate alone would put more than 1000 new legendary weapons on the trading post, which increases the supply by around 600%.

If this second suggestion were to be implemented, legendary weapons wouldn’t be, because everyone really would have one. Or two. Or three. And then the precursor market crashes because no one is crafting legendary weapons, which screws the rare and exotic market because no one is crafting precursors, and well, if for some reason you thought the game economy was wonky now

The only way I could see this happening is if ANet is about to EoL the game. “You get a legendary, and you get a legendary, everybody gets a legendary!”

I can only find the outdated version of Eggbaron’s Spreadsheet.
Could you throw me a link?

Cuddy.6247

“RPGs in general, aren’t designed to reward rarity without some amount of grind.” is some weapons grade bullkitten.

Find one RPG that doesn’t require any amount of grind to obtain “rarity.” Just one.

There’s a grind in every RPG, ever. Legendaries are the grind of GW2. Deal with it.

I still support Precursor crafting, because I think having a very specific and established recipe and acquisition should be important when going for something so rare and valuable, but the rest of Legendary acquisition is just a simple grind – it’s not RNG and hope and luck…it’s work.

Why? Because other aspects, aside from the Precursor, can be obtained very specifically. It still requires a teenie bit of luck, but it’s specific. Such as karma, mystic coins, even laurels if you want to use them – skill points, direct gold, etc. It’s specific, it’s an ingredient and it’s not just based on dumb luck.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

Something needs to be done with Acquisition, but I doubt they would remove the Forge acquisition that has made the legendary not so legendary. A weapon of renown (precursor) should be used in a large variety of particular battles, quests, or achievements before it starts to grow into the Legendary Weapon.
IE: come into possession of the renown weapon. infuse the Gift of Might for an added bonus, infuse the gift of battle for an added bonus. Make the weapon gift purchasable only with 4 quest chain items for an added bonus. Then continue the process until the weapon is truly legendary.
This would require thought into the depths of lore and gameplay to make the acquisition, advancement and final status of a legendary weapon just that, Legendary. A legendary is made by deeds, not farming.

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

I can only find the outdated version of Eggbaron’s Spreadsheet.
Could you throw me a link?

This should be it:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As-wCpIszrT9dFB3YjVUVFhfenlDUUpXTVBIdm5qWmc