[Suggestion] Lockpicks

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

To Whom It May Concern,

Every time I get a Shatterered, Broken, or Bent Lockpick I feel like I’ve been kicked in the gut. Was this your intention? To laugh at us old Guild Wars veterans and the good memories we had of whole, unbroken lockpicks that could be used? To spite us with never being able to claim a lockpick from a bandit or pirate without breaking it first?

I propose that intact lockpicks become a rare drop AND that they have a low chance of opening Black Lion chests. What say you?

Attachments:

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Firstly I actually find broken lockpicks amusing. All those times I used one, it broke and disappeared and I never thought twice about it. Now, 250 years later we find Tyria is littered with all those broken lockpicks.

Secondly I think your suggestion would upset a lot of people because what you’re effectively suggesting is to add yet another layer of RNG to black lion chests. You get “lucky” and get a lockpick. You use it and…oh no, it broke and didn’t open the chest. You actually got nothing but wasted some time to find that out.

If it really bothered people it would be better to simply remove the broken lockpicks. Personally I’d actually be in favour of removing junk items all together (in spite of what I said above) because getting an item which has absolutely no use whatsoever except to be sold for gold just seems like adding an unnecessary extra step when the enemies could just drop the gold directly.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Personally I’d actually be in favour of removing junk items all together (in spite of what I said above) because getting an item which has absolutely no use whatsoever except to be sold for gold just seems like adding an unnecessary extra step when the enemies could just drop the gold directly.

Removing junk items means you have less need for extra inventory space (because it wouldn’t fill up as fast), making you less likely to want to get extra bag slots or merchant expresses.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Azhure.1857

Firstly I actually find broken lockpicks amusing.

My apologies if my good humor didn’t shine through as much as it could have. I also find it amusing. To a degree, anyway. I still sometimes stop and shake my fist when I get the broken picks but its all in good fun.

Secondly I think your suggestion would upset a lot of people because what you’re effectively suggesting is to add yet another layer of RNG to black lion chests. You get “lucky” and get a lockpick. You use it and…oh no, it broke and didn’t open the chest. You actually got nothing but wasted some time to find that out.

Are you being serious here? Do you really think the chances of opening a BL chest with a lockpick would upset people?

It wouldn’t upset me at all. I’d enjoy it actually.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Danikat.8537

Are you being serious here? Do you really think the chances of opening a BL chest with a lockpick would upset people?

I’d be fairly indifferent but based on complaints I’ve seen on black lion chests and RNG in general yes, I’m sure it would upset people.

A lot of people either simply don’t understand ‘random chance’ or assume (maybe subconsciously) that they will be the exception. For example there was a topic on here a while ago about someone who bought 25 keys and was genuinely angry and confused that they didn’t get a black lion ticket. Yes they knew the average chance was 1 in 50, but that’s for everyone, surely they were supposed to get one from their 25 keys?

I have to admit every time I get a key I think this could be the time I get a really good drop, even though I know it’s more likely the best I’ll get is something moderately useful (like a booster I actually want) or something useful to someone else, like custom arena time tokens.

A lot of people won’t see a lockpick as a low chance at opening a chest – they’ll see it as a free key and then get disappointed or angry when they don’t get anything from it. Add on the fact that even if they get ‘lucky’ and get a lockpick and then get ‘lucky’ again and it opens the chest they’ll probably ‘fail’ the 3rd roll and get nothing they really want. Overall the number of disappointed people will outweigh the number of happy people.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Rather than rng, maybe a stack of 250 or even 1000 exchangeable for a BL key?

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

To Whom It May Concern,

Every time I get a Shatterered, Broken, or Bent Lockpick I feel like I’ve been kicked in the gut. Was this your intention? To laugh at us old Guild Wars veterans and the good memories we had of whole, unbroken lockpicks that could be used? To spite us with never being able to claim a lockpick from a bandit or pirate without breaking it first?

I propose that intact lockpicks become a rare drop AND that they have a low chance of opening Black Lion chests. What say you?

Well I remember the “glass crowbars” of old. I also remember their ridiculous cost, their ridiculous fail rate, their ridiculous drop rate, and the uselessness of the things you tended to get with them. I see no difference between them and the Black Lion Keys we have now.

Edit: Wait, there is one. BLKs don’t contribute to any sort of ‘luck enhancement’.

(edited by Sariel V.7024)

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Azhure.1857

I’d be fairly indifferent but based on complaints I’ve seen on black lion chests and RNG in general yes, I’m sure it would upset people.

A lot of people either simply don’t understand ‘random chance’ or assume (maybe subconsciously) that they will be the exception. For example there was a topic on here a while ago about someone who bought 25 keys and was genuinely angry and confused that they didn’t get a black lion ticket. Yes they knew the average chance was 1 in 50, but that’s for everyone, surely they were supposed to get one from their 25 keys?

I have to admit every time I get a key I think this could be the time I get a really good drop, even though I know it’s more likely the best I’ll get is something moderately useful (like a booster I actually want) or something useful to someone else, like custom arena time tokens.

A lot of people won’t see a lockpick as a low chance at opening a chest – they’ll see it as a free key and then get disappointed or angry when they don’t get anything from it. Add on the fact that even if they get ‘lucky’ and get a lockpick and then get ‘lucky’ again and it opens the chest they’ll probably ‘fail’ the 3rd roll and get nothing they really want. Overall the number of disappointed people will outweigh the number of happy people.

That just seems irrational. To such a degree that I can’t take it as a serious argument against the idea of Lockpicks being dropped and used as I suggested. Any additional chance at opening a BL chest is still greater than no lockpicks opening zero chests.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Rip Van Winkle.4859

Rip Van Winkle.4859

I think we should have to combine 50 or so to make a Black Lion Key. That would make it more fun. I get these broken ones and shake my head. I think all broken items should be able to be converted into a useful item of the same type.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Azhure.1857

I think we should have to combine 50 or so to make a Black Lion Key. That would make it more fun. I get these broken ones and shake my head. I think all broken items should be able to be converted into a useful item of the same type.

You’re not the first to suggest the idea of trading in intact lockpicks, which by themselves would be a rare drop, into a BL Key. Its not a bad suggestion. Yet I still think an intact lockpick is an item unto itself and should serve a function. * shrugs *

I don’t understand the level of RNG hatred here. Is it not true that…

A chance at opening a BL chest > No chance at opening a BL chest
(outside the use of Black Lion keys)

If it would upset some people so much that they’d hate to even try, they could just sell them to a merchant like a junk item then?

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

No need for lockpicks. We just need those Aetherkey chests to spawn everywhere in the world, and for the key parts to drop from any kind of mob.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

As a veteran who played GW1 for 8 years: HELL NO!

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Azhure.1857

As a veteran who played GW1 for 8 years: HELL NO!

A simple “No” or “I do not support this” would have been sufficient. Thanks for sharing though. I don’t understand the hate and opposition to this idea. Really, I’ve tried to understand it. But I just don’t.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Sariel V.7024

1. BLCs and BLKs are ANet’s cash cow. I seriously doubt they are going to implement anything that allows them to be opened for free.
2. If they did do so, I see it working one of two ways:
2.a. Lockpicks either fail too often for most people’s liking, which exacerbates complaints of RNG for RNG, or
2.b. Lockpicks are too rare for most people’s liking, which exacerbates complaints of RNG for RNG for RNG.
3. Making these drops with any kind of reliability would turn someplace into yet another farming plot with all the venom those seem to engender lately.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Danikat.8537

1. BLCs and BLKs are ANet’s cash cow. I seriously doubt they are going to implement anything that allows them to be opened for free.
2.a. Lockpicks either fail too often for most people’s liking, which exacerbates complaints of RNG for RNG, or
2.b. Lockpicks are too rare for most people’s liking, which exacerbates complaints of RNG for RNG for RNG.
3. Making these drops with any kind of reliability would turn someplace into yet another farming plot with all the venom those seem to engender lately.

They already have implemented something which allows them to be opened for free – black lion keys drop extremely rarely from mobs (I’ve seen 2 drop in just over 2,000 hours) and can occasionally come from map completion. They also come from some personal story chapters (most notably at level 10).

2b. and 3 both apply.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Sariel V.7024

They already have implemented something which allows them to be opened for free – black lion keys drop extremely rarely from mobs (I’ve seen 2 drop in just over 2,000 hours) and can occasionally come from map completion.

For that, refer back to my first post.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Azhure.1857

1) That’s why I would only see them as a rare drop and even then have a chance at opening a BL chest. I wouldn’t want them to replace BL keys. For all those players that don’t farm their personal story and have no map left to complete (or choose not to complete), perhaps this could be a good window to open them up more to BL chest rewards. Say they eventually get a lockpick that opens up a BL chest – perhaps that would be enough enticement to want to open more?
2) Again. I don’t see how that argument is rational in any way. Granted, human beings aren’t always rational – BUT – it is still true that A chance of opening a chest > No chance of opening a chest No matter how much you say people would rage, that statement is no less true.
3) Wouldn’t want them to drop with any reliability. Rare drop. It would be up to Anet to do the math and see how often they would need to drop and what % of them would be successful at opening BL chests…. so they could still keep BL keys high in demand.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

To Whom It May Concern,

Not sure about lockpicks but keys drop from mobs although very rare. Levelled 6 to 80 and only got 2 keys from world drops.

Black Lion chests are common and keys very rare, for the main purpose of you buying more keys from the shop.

They have to try and generate some income somehow.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Any artificer worth his salt should be able to repair a broken lockpick.

Theftwind (HoD)

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Azhure.1857

Any artificer worth his salt should be able to repair a broken lockpick.

You make a fair point, good sir. I tip my hat to you.

[Suggestion] Lockpicks

Azhure.1857

To Whom It May Concern,

Not sure about lockpicks but keys drop from mobs although very rare. Levelled 6 to 80 and only got 2 keys from world drops.

Black Lion chests are common and keys very rare, for the main purpose of you buying more keys from the shop.

They have to try and generate some income somehow.

Please see my post directly above yours. I explained my argument for them. Its not defined down into percentages but its there… sorta. None of you need worry, though, as I’m not getting much in the way of support over this idea.