[Suggestion] Make Charr stand upright

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

I nearly replied to this topic:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/charr/The-agony-of-Charr-armor-Long-read/first

But then I realized my little post wouldn’t poke out so good, and it’s nearly off-topic too, so I write it here like this:

This could be so easily solved by making char actually stand upright and running on fours out of combat, then again in combat, some kind of more natural stance.

like here !
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/46/Charr_concept_art_2.jpg

I do not understand why this was not done in the first place. It would be my favourite race all the time, and… in military, you gotta stand upright, if you don’t, you will be immediately commanded to do so.

Posted by: jackaljag.8637

jackaljag.8637

You’re assuming human military, it’s ridiculous to assume the standard would carry over to a different society made up by a species with a different anatomy.

IMO the current charr hunched-over stance looks good and is fitting to a species that runs around on all four. Especially given their proportions, with the shoulders and chest usually fairly broad compared to the hindquarters.

Joran Blackgear – Engineer – EU | Juras Blackpowder – Engineer – NA

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

I would be happy if there was an option to turn that stupid gallop off. Fed up with pressing 1 every few seconds just make him not so stupid.

Posted by: zacharias.5437

zacharias.5437

I agree with the OP, the basic stance of my charr looks really awkward and it would look better if he was more upright instead of like a cat standing on its hind legs. But it still wouldn’t solve the issue that most armors are not designed for Charr and look completely wrong and ill fitting. Especially the head gear.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I seem to remember in GW1 charr were more upright, or at least the level of upright/hunch depended on what profession they were.

It’d be lovely to see charr stand fully upright with their shoulders back and head and neck up. I think the only way we’d ever see this was if the idle animation was changed. It makes sense for them to run all fours and battle stooped low and aggressively, so IMO it would be a shame to lose out on this. A fully-standing idle position would be excellent for fully showing off armour and weapons as well on a charr… I think it would be an excellent addition and a resonable compromise.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

No.

Fix the issue with paw prints in sand/snow etc, first.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

From what I’ve noticed from the personal story, in charr society, when two charr are talking, the charr with the higher rank stands straighter than the other one.

In the original Guild Wars, most charr had a hunched over stance, whereas some casters had a more upright stance. Since they couldn’t give players the choice in Guild Wars 2, I assume they went with the most common.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/4/45/Charr_Bladestorm.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/0/0f/Charr_mesmer.jpg

Personally, I think it’s a breath of fresh air to get to play a species that doesn’t look anything like a human. I don’t understand why people keep complaining about the armor, though. It looks just fine on my screen.

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

I don’t see posture changing on Charr resoling that many of the races armor model issues. Also, even if it did happen to work, I don’t see ANet rushing to implement it given that we still have yet to see them fix just the basic visual issues with things like backwards footprints on Charr.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I don’t really mind the Charr running around on all fours. In my mind, it emphasizes the fact that they are not human. And that’s fine by me.
What I want to know is why the PCs are the only ones that do that, while all the NPC Charr do not!

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Charr are fine as they are, perhaps an option to toggle the full running animation completely off would be nice.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I don’t care how they stand, I just wish armor didn’t look strange on them. IMO it doesn’t have much to do with their stance, it’s more about needing more adjusting to each specific race rather than being fitted to humans/norn and the other races getting the short end.

No.

Fix the issue with paw prints in sand/snow etc, first.

Things that need to be fixed long before any consideration to stances is even made (particularly the charmor issue).

Posted by: Nicholas S Lin.6187

Nicholas S Lin.6187

Charr should not stand like a human. They are Charr. They run their arms as well as their legs, so it make’s perfect sense that they do not stand upright. This to me is a very misinformed thread.

(edited by Nicholas S Lin.6187)

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I just wish they would give us the option to hide any armor piece so that you could play bare-chested Charr, as many of them are…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I actually like the hunched look. What I can’t stand is the running on four paws. There’s something abrasive about it that’s difficult to discern. It feels clunky somehow. Crazy as it sounds, I was going to level one of each races but couldn’t go through with the Charr because of the running.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Imo there should be a choice…and right away for all other races too, ya know.. new idles and running animations, maybe even gem store for all i care

Attachments:

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

You can turn the galop of by just drawing weapons, your Charr will stand upright, which also tends to be easy mode for JP’s. And I love Charr as is.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

Do you know what you get then? A furry Norn Body with a Cat head :-) Its a feline creature, not a human like. And it would have the run and jump physics of a human (or Norn). In my opinion, leave it as it is.

(edited by Bolbo Baggins.8594)

Posted by: phirefox.2568

phirefox.2568

Do you know what you get then? A furry Norn Body with a Cat head :-) Its a feline creature, not a human like. And it would have the run and jump physics of a human (or Norn). In my opinion, leave it as it is.

But the upright-standing charr were introduced long before the norn, so one could argue that Norn would be non-Furry Charr with human heads (just kidding here)

In GW1, Charr assumed different poses depending on their class:
The rather “savage” Classes (Warrior, Ranger, Necromancer) had a hunched pose,
whereas the more “sophisticated” ones (Elementalist, Monk, Mesmer, Ritualist) stood upright.

OP

This could be so easily solved by making char actually stand upright and running on fours out of combat, then again in combat, some kind of more natural stance.

While i like the idea of upright-standing charr, i don’t think enforcing it on every charr in the game would be a good idea, since there are more than enough ppl who like the more animalistic stance. It would be nice though if there were an Option to choose from the two variants

Attachments:

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

Charr should not stand like a human. They are Charr. They run their arms as well as their legs, so it make’s perfect sense that they do not stand upright. This to me is a very misinformed thread.

This is the only game I can think of where a feline race runs like a feline and stands like a feline might stand. Anet has put some thought into feline anatomy and how it might work in a situation like this. It is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Other than armour not fitting and the pawprints being backwards, I wouldn’t change charrs at all.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Funny enough there are charrs in the game (or at least gw1) that stand upright, so it is possible.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

This is the only game I can think of where a feline race runs like a feline and stands like a feline might stand. Anet has put some thought into feline anatomy and how it might work in a situation like this. It is an absolute breath of fresh air.

Other than armour not fitting and the pawprints being backwards, I wouldn’t change charrs at all.

Exactly this!

If there was one single solitary thing about GW2 that I’d praise it for over other MMOs, its that their races feel different and unique. I can’t stand how, in most MMOs, the extra races amount to pretty much a skin palette swap and either pointy ears, horns or dumb looking backwards knees that don’t look quasi-quadrupedal. I mean, if you’re going for animal features that are mainly human, why bother with bad anatomy? Just give them feet-paws! Do not, however, take a human form and give them what amounts to “backwards knees”.

In every other MMO, the addition of new races got me a very “meh” reaction, but I really look forward to Anet releasing new races if they ever do because they don’t cut corners! They didn’t just shove elves in this game, they changed them to plants! They didn’t just make stub-leg human dwarves, they made long-eared, sharp-toothed, big-headed gremlins! Norn are kinda human-like which is why I don’t really care much for them (although I do have a Norn Guardian) but the other races I adore (and I even enjoy my human Ranger for racial contrast!).

No, from a artistic expression and flavorful design perspective, I think Anet nailed it with Charr and I look forward to future additions (TENGU! Kodan would be cool and I’d probably have kittens if they let me play a Skritt). But at the very least, I wouldn’t be opposed to Anet adding more idle animations for every race as well as an option in menu to shut off auto-sheath so you stick to a combat stance unless you manually press the weapon-sheath button. I think such additions would be a perfect compromise for everyone.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

like a cat standing on its hind legs.

Which is rather the point.