[Suggestion] Mimics

[Suggestion] Mimics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

TL;DR – Please add Mimic chests to the game as an uncommon surprise enemy, possibly with rare loot drops, and possibly with deadly attacks to unwary players.

So with Dry Top we got buried lockboxes opened with Zephyrite lockpicks. And now with Silverwastes we get Bandit Chests opened with Bandit keys. Treasure chests are an icon in fantasy gaming. I think everyone is well aware the feelings of joy and anticipation at the sight of a chest in any game.

Inevitably, game designers came up with a way to troll their players by adding Mimics to their games; creepy creatures who disguise themselves as a chest and attack unwitting players who think they found loot. Mimics provide a fun twist to the game, Is this really loot? Or am I about to be eaten?

In most games Mimics are a minor pop-up monster that is easily defeated and only serves as a surprise event. However some games like Dark souls make Mimics instantly kill you if you go around opening every chest with wild abandon. Whichever the case, Mimics in GW2 would be a fun addition, especially for onlookers. Mimics usually also contain better loot than other chests. Imagine a Legendary Mimic that requires dozens to kill and has a chance to drop ascended gear.

Dear Anet,
Even if you don’t feel like Mimics belong in the core game, please at least consider adding them to other content like SAB or Halloween. It would be a shame to completely ignore this popular fantasy trope! Personally I think they would be a hilarious and fun addition to future iterations of Maguuma maps, especially with the hidden chest mechanics.

Edit: Here’s an example of the idea.

- rare chance of any bandit chest or lockbox spawning as a mimic (1-5% chance)
- max of 1-5 mimics on the map at any given time
- standard mimic is veteran level and has a slightly higher chance of dropping a rare, exotic, or t6 mat.
- once per day, one mimic spawns as a legendary dynamic event boss with orange map markers to draw in players
- legendary mimic has a rare chance to drop ascended gear, mats, and a minipet mimic (drop rates similar to Tequatl or Wurm)
- all mimics must first be discovered by players, and the player must try to open them before they pop up and start fighting.
- mimics do not consume a key or lockpick when attempting to open them (for fairness).

Attachments:

(edited by Xenon.4537)

[Suggestion] Mimics

Xenon.4537

Follow-up after guild discussion:

Mimic boss in SAB.

Its a secret boss hidden somewhere. It’s a giant chest that gets up and eats you. You find yourself in a new secret level: The Mimic’s Belly. You have to fight your way through all the adventurers that the giant mimic has eaten, and anthropomorphic coins and jewels. You find the Glorious Guilded Key of Doom deep in the belly. You use it to give the giant mimic indigestion so it spits you out and dies, releasing a butt-load of baubles and possibly weapon skins!

Me – 1
Josh Foreman – 0

[Suggestion] Mimics

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

I’d be okay with this, so long as the loot isn’t too much better and the things can actually be killed (no legendaries when players aren’t around, etc). I’d also suggest being kind and letting the player who spawns a mimic keep their key, if it’s a locked chest.

[Suggestion] Mimics

Xenon.4537

I’d be okay with this, so long as the loot isn’t too much better and the things can actually be killed (no legendaries when players aren’t around, etc). I’d also suggest being kind and letting the player who spawns a mimic keep their key, if it’s a locked chest.

Well here’s how I would do it in Silverwastes (just as an example). There would be a rare chance of a bandit chest turning out to be a mimic. It would be like 1 mimic spawn every hour on the map in a random location (that players would have to find). The mimic would be veteran level and have a 50% chance to drop a rare item and maybe a 1 or 2% chance to drop something better. As a veteran it would be moderately challenging for single players to kill, making it kind of a fun surprise. And it would not cost a key at all. When you interact with it, it would sprout legs and teeth and start attacking you immediately.

Additionally once per day there would be a legendary mimic spawn in the same fashion. It would be at one of the random chest locations and you would have to find and dig it up. It would not cost a key. It would pop up and attack, but being a legendary, you would probably want to run away and get help, or have a group with you. It would not despawn until killed and would have a dynamic event marker to attract more nearby players. It would have higher chances of rare and exotic drops, and maybe an achievement or minipet or something unique.

[Suggestion] Mimics

Xenon.4537

I just wanted to say I love you Anet. Thank you for listening.

I really hope there’s a legendary mimic that eats people. >:D