Suggestion - Mobile Gaming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tringsh.2380

Tringsh.2380

I’m not sure how well this will go down but here we go.

I work away from home quite often and it bums me out that I miss out on playing GW2 while I’m away, particularly when I am working towards something, like at the moment I’m working on a legendary.

I was thinking how cool it would be to have a mobile app tied to players accounts where you could play mini games for rewards such as silver or matts. Crafting could even be done through it as well. That way people can play in some capacity when they can’t access a PC with the full client on.

Thoughts? Feelings?

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Yes under following conditions:

• No minigames. This could be abused by gold farming bots which are then immune to reporting as you can’t see them doing it.
  • Crafting: Only if logged out near a crafting station, else this app can be abused. (Log out from PC, login on mobile to get your own crafting bench)
  • Trading post: Only placing orders or outright buying items. No pickup function. Same potential for abuse as in crafting. Should be limited to 200 transactions per day to combat TP bots.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t see this happening, whether I like the idea or not. I can’t see Anet spending time and energy on games outside the open world, where they want to see people logging in. The last thing Anet wants to do is make it so that people can play the game out of the world.

Posted by: Afyael.1740

Afyael.1740

I don’t see this happening, whether I like the idea or not. I can’t see Anet spending time and energy on games outside the open world, where they want to see people logging in. The last thing Anet wants to do is make it so that people can play the game out of the world.

If enough people are willing to pay to pay 5 bucks to use this app Anet would drop everything they’re doing and jump right on board.

Which just about sums up the state of the game and the direction its been moving since release.

Posted by: Tringsh.2380

Tringsh.2380

I agree, I don’t see it happening either. It would just be a way for people to play when on a train commuting or stuck in a hotel room for a couple of nights.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

If enough people are willing to pay to pay 5 bucks to use this app Anet would drop everything they’re doing and jump right on board.

Which just about sums up the state of the game and the direction its been moving since release.

I disagree. I don’t think Anet would do it if everyone paid $5. Because the long term health of the game just isn’t worth that. And I’m not even saying it will affect the long term health of the game. But I’m thinking they’d be foolish to risk it.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

No, I’m positive that the players who want/need mobile apps to do minor functions are a minority.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

No, I’m positive that the players who want/need mobile apps to do minor functions are a minority.

Yup this. If you checked what percentage of the player base bothers using mobile authentication I think you’d end up with a similar indication of how many people would actually be willing to/would want a mobile application to do things.

Also, most players wouldn’t be willing to pay for an app. Paid apps don’t do so well and the logic for most GW2 players would be ’I’ve already paid for the game, why should I pay for an app that simply lets me do exactly what I can do by logging in’. And I don’t think that an app should offer functionality that isn’t available in game, it’s just too problematic and it places an unnecessary gate. Believe it or not, not everyone has a smart phone, and even of those that do there are three major operating systems.

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

If there’s enough people foolish to spend hundreds (even thousands!) of dollars in the gem store, then there’s enough people foolish enough to spend money in a GW2 related mobile app.
Throw in some minipets, in-game NCSoft advertisements, achievement points, crappy skins, watch the money roll in.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Jargon

Gems can still be purchased with gold and mobile apps shouldn’t provide any exclusive services/items that are locked behind a monetary gate.

They’ve come a long way from the Guild Wars 1 store where the only way to buy neat little in-game stuff was with real money. Now you can use a lot of virtual money to buy it too.

Posted by: Morbridae.8607

Morbridae.8607

Can I ask how are you so positive about that?

If you checked what percentage of the player base bothers using mobile authentication I think you’d end up with a similar indication of how many people would actually be willing to/would want a mobile application to do things.

False. I, for example, don’t use mobile authentication, but will love a mobile app to do things. I don’t believe I am the only one thinking that the mobile is cool to use when you are away from the pc.

Also, most players wouldn’t be willing to pay for an app. Paid apps don’t do so well and the logic for most GW2 players would be ’I’ve already paid for the game, why should I pay for an app that simply lets me do exactly what I can do by logging in’.

I don’t know if most players would pay for it or not… neither you do. Again, I would pay for it, because it will let me do things when I can’t log in (at work, at lunch, when in the subway…).

Morbridae (Norn Necromancer)
@ Sorrow’s Furnace (VE)

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

Jargon

Gems can still be purchased with gold and mobile apps shouldn’t provide any exclusive services/items that are locked behind a monetary gate.

They’ve come a long way from the Guild Wars 1 store where the only way to buy neat little in-game stuff was with real money. Now you can use a lot of virtual money to buy it too.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make here. If they made a free to download app where things cost gems, it’s no different than in game.
At the end of the day, there are people who will throw their real money at Anet even if there is a free alternative.