[Suggestion] Moon/Sun indicator for maps.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kfc.8170

kfc.8170

I have always wanted a mini moon, or a mini sun to indicate the time of day in-game. I am aware that some weapons show you this, and obviously how it looks out in the open world is an easy’ish indicator. However I think this would be a nice addon to the game, and would help with secondary night and day weapon swaps.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

There is something that would be better than a moon/sun indicator, it would be awesome that if we could look to the sky and if it were dark it would be night, if it was clear/bright it would be day …

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Centurion.7296

Centurion.7296

Yeah, that it were more clear whether its day or night, I mean really, how am I supposed to stalk my pray efficiently with all this light >_<

Posted by: Sealreth.1425

Sealreth.1425

Sethy Alre [Main: Thief, 19 Characters] -
[TSP] The Shadow Phantoms – Guild master
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

rather than a mini sun or moon to tell you whether it’s daytime or not, I would much prefer an actual, visible difference in the light.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

kfc.8170

I couldn’t agree more, though unless it’s something they plan on releasing with HoT I doubt they will get to it, unfortunately. Some games have skies let up so nice its easy to lose yourself in them. So I figured at the very least an indicator would be an excellent addon to something bigger they can possibly get around to later down the road.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Anything to tell the mode, even just a symbol on the world map of what regions are in what phase of the day. If it is greyish light how do i know it just is not noon? Even the night is just a dim light. I suppose having night like that makes sense if you are doing an event at off hours.

In other games I have seen people be able to define custom daylight cycles and override the local settings, which makes it handy when you have a 24 hour event.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Moon Sun symbol would be great, dark while I don’t mind I have never seen it work in other games. Closest was Moria in LOTRO and I personally wanted to remove the lantern you turn on since it made it harder to see not easier. They then made the entire area lighter since people complained about the dark. Same thing would happen here.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Is a sun/moon symbol worth it though when there is no difference in night and day in the events around you? If nothing changes, not even the light (enough to notice) then a cosmetic symbol declaring it to be night or day is ultimately meaningless.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Aeon.4127

Aeon.4127

Is a sun/moon symbol worth it though when there is no difference in night and day in the events around you? If nothing changes, not even the light (enough to notice) then a cosmetic symbol declaring it to be night or day is ultimately meaningless.

I don’t see how this could be meaningless… their are people out there who do dungeons regularly, and I for one know what weapons to bring for pretty much every dungeon. Lets use Caduceus Manor for example, which is a daytime dungeon maybe you bring (example: great sword) your weapon that has a sigil of air and force since it’s a daytime dungeon, where is Ascolonian Catacombs (a nighttime dungeon) you bring a secondary great sword (which a lot of people do) with superior sigil of night and force. the difference in damage could be very useful, and this can be applied all over the game not just dungeons. This moon/sun symbol could be very useful for people who are not 100% familiar with all the maps, or don’t have a night-time weapon indicator (example Ascalonian weapons, or Eternity which show you what time of day it is by the current animation).

“But Aeon you can simply wiki the map to find out what night/day time maps they are”. True, but a small moon/sun symbol that can be simply added to… for example your mini-map bar can make a world of a difference when it comes down to convenience, and simplicity.

Again, this is NOT by any means needed for everyone. However people who are new to the game, or want to get familiar with the sigils and max dps output can use this as an easy get to know the map you’re tool that can get them to the dmg output they seek.

kfc.8170

Exactly Aeon, it would be a nice feature to add for many different things.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

roll a sylvari! they glow in the dark (or at least at nighttime)

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t see how this could be meaningless… their are people out there who do dungeons regularly, and I for one know what weapons to bring for pretty much every dungeon. Lets use Caduceus Manor for example, which is a daytime dungeon maybe you bring (example: great sword) your weapon that has a sigil of air and force since it’s a daytime dungeon, where is Ascolonian Catacombs (a nighttime dungeon) you bring a secondary great sword (which a lot of people do) with superior sigil of night and force. the difference in damage could be very useful, and this can be applied all over the game not just dungeons. This moon/sun symbol could be very useful for people who are not 100% familiar with all the maps, or don’t have a night-time weapon indicator (example Ascalonian weapons, or Eternity which show you what time of day it is by the current animation).

“But Aeon you can simply wiki the map to find out what night/day time maps they are”. True, but a small moon/sun symbol that can be simply added to… for example your mini-map bar can make a world of a difference when it comes down to convenience, and simplicity.

Again, this is NOT by any means needed for everyone. However people who are new to the game, or want to get familiar with the sigils and max dps output can use this as an easy get to know the map you’re tool that can get them to the dmg output they seek.

Yah, I guess. 2 dungeons, it could be useful. As to the rest of the world, I haven’t found killing mobs so difficult that I needed to invest in day and night time weapons and I can’t say I’ve heard other people say that they’ve felt a need for it either. So, that brings it back down to the 2 dungeons and the people who need or want day/night time weapons for the extra power they bring for the regular maps. I guess if ANet agrees this is enough people, they’ll look into it.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Would have been handy for that silly ‘you must wait until night time’ objective for Princess tasks in Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I recall that this was actually a thing back during the earliest BWEs for GW2’s initial release. It was in the same options as the in-game clock, being an option of local, server, or in-game time; the in-game time being a little circle that was half sun half moon and would rotate with the day/night cycle with whichever cycle was active being up top.

I was kind of disappointed when it wasn’t there during release.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

kfc.8170

Yea, if it was there before, and it was removed, hopefully it’s not to hard to bring it back. And agreed on the Princess scavenger hunt thing, flipping servers to find a night map wasn’t super fun lol.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

So no one notices whether or not the Sun or Moon is in the sky? The only time you wouldn’t see one or the other is when it was clouded over and/or stormy…well, at least the moon is up at night when it’s clear…don’t notice if the sun is up or not when it’s day time.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I would rather they just changed the skies in game to something better, so we can actually see the sun when its out, and the moon and the stars when it is night. But right now it just feels like 90% of the maps are always overcast.

And, even when you can see the sun, it always seems to remain in the same place in the sky all the time. Natural light in GW2 always comes from the same direction and never changes throughout the day. I’d like them to change that and have a proper sun moving through the sky, with the direction of light changing as it passes overhead.

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

Have a Ascalonian weapon handy. It’ll glow blue at night.

A UI indicating whether it’s day or night would be handy though, especially on HoT maps where the events differ between the two settings.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

the beta map had a countdown during the night in red, and a green countdown 5min before night fell.

i assume the map’s ‘night’ coincides with the actual game day/night cycle; with the lighting not really changing, hard to tell.

If day & night are coordinated across all maps, though, it could be nice to have an indicator just so’s you know when to go to get certain events

kfc.8170

It deffinately would be nice, and as mentioned before an overall rehash of the skies themes to have it where people are awe-struck by simply looking up would be epic, however unless it’s not rolled out with HoT I doubt they will put it on their immediate to-do-list. A simple moon/sun symbol I can see being easy enough (I can only imagine) where it won’t be a super time sink, and a feature much needed for dungeon runners, or people who simply want max dps output elsewhere.

Posted by: Despair.2374

Despair.2374

Sometimes it is a little difficult to tell when it is indeed night time and I have a set of night sigil weapons to swap for occasions like that. I’m sure there are also wvw duelists out there that would also appreciate more dps in their builds.

I’m also not convinced that we shouldn’t have such a small QoL added to the game, in fact the new Lion’s Arch requires a certain area to be night time in order to gain accessibility, so why not have the game tell you what the day/night cycle is?

tl;dr Add a night/day compass so we don’t have to second guess whether it is night time or day time.

Posted by: Aeon.4127

Aeon.4127

Sometimes it is a little difficult to tell when it is indeed night time and I have a set of night sigil weapons to swap for occasions like that. I’m sure there are also wvw duelists out there that would also appreciate more dps in their builds.

I’m also not convinced that we shouldn’t have such a small QoL added to the game, in fact the new Lion’s Arch requires a certain area to be night time in order to gain accessibility, so why not have the game tell you what the day/night cycle is?

tl;dr Add a night/day compass so we don’t have to second guess whether it is night time or day time.

Heh I didn’t even think about wvw, but yea you’re right, it would be nice for wvw or pvp just as well as pve.

Posted by: Strength.6851

Strength.6851

all right, from what I’ve been reading, is that a simple sun and moon icon or wheel could be implemented into the game for a better experience of immersion. Not only could it better immerse the player, but better inform the player to actually take out another set of weaponry to deal an additional 10% damage to enemies .

yea, i could see this being helpful considering i have a second set of night weapons, and for those out there that seek to be better in the gw2 community as well.

something as simple as the clock hud on majora’s mask could do as well but smaller and sleek.

Attachments:

kfc.8170

all right, from what I’ve been reading, is that a simple sun and moon icon or wheel could be implemented into the game for a better experience of immersion. Not only could it better immerse the player, but better inform the player to actually take out another set of weaponry to deal an additional 10% damage to enemies .

yea, i could see this being helpful considering i have a second set of night weapons, and for those out there that seek to be better in the gw2 community as well.

something as simple as the clock hud on majora’s mask could do as well but smaller and sleek.

Ha! thats awesome, never thought about it like that, but that would be to cool

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

It deffinately would be nice, and as mentioned before an overall rehash of the skies themes to have it where people are awe-struck by simply looking up would be epic

Yeah the sky boxes could be a bit prettier. Mind you I don’t spend a lot of time looking up, but still.

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

Halloween Spider Mini, gets green when its night ^(°-°)^

kfc.8170

Halloween Spider Mini, gets green when its night ^(°-°)^

Yep certain Items in-game either weapons , or in this case mini’s will do that. Personally I would rather have the time of day being displayed somewhere on my hub, they could possibly even add a toggle on off feature to it on the options menu… wishful thinking