[Suggestion] "Next Birthday is in x days"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

A thing that says “Next birthday is in x days” on the character select screen would be awesome for each character

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

yes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Hmm, maybe as a popup on mouseover, akin to the crafting info. As alts proliferate, it gets harder to track the birthdays. I keep a Word document listing the date created (recently added the year to the ones I could figure it out for) but that is a clumsy way to do it.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

In the chat box type /age then when it tells you how many days old the char is just divide that number by 365. That is how many months old it is and then you can tell how many more months you have left before the next birthday. Not hard to figure out.

Envy.1679

In the chat box type /age then when it tells you how many days old the char is just divide that number by 365. That is how many months old it is and then you can tell how many more months you have left before the next birthday. Not hard to figure out.

Already know about this and thats not what im asking for.

Attachments:

(edited by Envy.1679)

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

So you just want the answer given to you without doing the very simple math to have the answer in less than 30 secs? I do it all the time for my GW chars when I sign on there.

Envy.1679

So you just want the answer given to you without doing the very simple math to have the answer in less than 30 secs? I do it all the time for my GW chars when I sign on there.

Are you seriously arguing this? Really? Its a simple feature. They have other info available on the login screen, did you make the argument “just log in and look why do you need it on the login screen”?

Some people just want to argue, I swear.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It would be nice, yeah. An alternative I was shown recently was to use an API key and put it on http://gw2efficiency.com/ – but of course not everyone will want to have their characters displayed.

But there is a section there that shows your characters’ due birthdays. My next one is Robyn Swift for her third year.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I like this idea and I don’t wanna do the math, especially when the math is wrong. I’m no math genius but if you divide by 365 isn’t that the number of years, not months?

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

5 years = 1825 days
4 years = 1460 days
3 years = 1095 days
2 years = 730 days
1 years = 365 days

So if you are 1121 days old that’s 1460-1121= 339 days away.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

5 years = 1825 days
4 years = 1460 days
3 years = 1095 days
2 years = 730 days
1 years = 365 days

So if you are 1121 days old that’s 1460-1121= 339 days away.

My head hurts

Andraus.3874

4 digit subtraction can be hard. Fourth grade math is OP. :-p

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

No, no.. it’s not that. I appreciate the math lesson. My head hurts cause I made a stupid off-hand point about how Pyrate claims that dividing days by 365 gives months and that didn’t seem right, and now I can see this spiralling out of control into an orgy of mathematical debate. That’s why my head hurts. I should have shut the up.

Envy.1679

the problem isnt the math its having to log in to each character to check.

You guys remind me of one of my old suggestions, to bind gold across all characters instead of having them bound to single characters.

People were like, “No! I PREFER to run to the bank, place gold into the bank, and then run to the bank again to retrieve it on another character!”

“I would never use the option to bind gold across all characters!”
People just enjoy saying “no” I dont get why its so natural for people to instinctively want to say no and shut ideas down regardless of the idea.

Anyways, the problem isnt doing math, its having to login tot he character at all. For some people loading screens take a while, and and when I came back from my break, I had no idea if any of my characters had birthdays coming up. So I had to log in, check 1 by 1 each of my characters.

Theres also been times where I completely forgot one of my charcaters had an upcoming birthday and the gift had been sitting there for awhile.

The issue isnt as black and white as you are trying to make it be. “hur math is hard hurr”

This feature wouldve saved me time.

(edited by Envy.1679)

Andraus.3874

I’m not sure there is actually a gray area on this issue. It’s really not controversial at all. But anyway my other comments weren’t really directed toward the issue. It was toward the people discussing math. And as Zoltar pointed out there are some people here bad at math as days divided by 365 does not equal months.

Although you could just do this once and write it down or save the dates In a word doc. It would be pretty much the same thing. I’m not saying I’m opposed to this. I don’t know how much Dev time this would take to make and if it’s significant then I would be opposed to it.