[Suggestion] Next Gen console port?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Curious if the team has given serious thought to porting to the next gen consoles?

The reason I ask is due to yet another series of big names coming over TERA, Black Desert Online, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Etc etc yada yada the list is growing every year.

Question: If you build the game for consoles during the development of the next expansion wouldn’t that cut costs?

Additionally. The information is basically the same for what the character owns and what it has completed. Would we see a port with the ability to bring our toons over that we already had?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

The game wouldn’t even run on the current generation consoles due to their garbage tier single threaded performance

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They would have to port to DX11 first.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Ignoring everything else about how improbable this is, Xbox would NEVER let players port characters from the original PC version, nor would they let players of different version interact at all. They’re kittens like that and they’ll likely not budge regardless of what Anet (in this hypothetical situation) says or wants.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Ignoring everything else about how improbable this is, Xbox would NEVER let players port characters from the original PC version, nor would they let players of different version interact at all. They’re kittens like that and they’ll likely not budge regardless of what Anet (in this hypothetical situation) says or wants.

Are you sure you got that right? Seems like Sony is the one doing that right now … (I mean getting in the way of cross platform play).

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Are you sure you got that right? Seems like Sony is the one doing that right now … (I mean getting in the way of cross platform play).

yeah really as well as this year in october . Destiny 2 with DX11 will be coming to pc and i read it right you be able to play with xbox and ps4 gamers as well . also too

there’s eso as well that went to xbox and ps4 . cross platforming is coming more and more

as well as overwatch that is cross platform as well too i think . so right now am looking for more better games like this on cross platform .and just remember the good times i had in this game back when it came out . in 2012

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Eh, maybe they’re doing it too now. Xbox has just historically been a stickler for that sort of thing. And they (at least used to) kinda hate MMOs.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

GW2’s control scheme would not work with consoles. Too many buttons.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

You can map alot of buttons on to the controler mate.
If you hold one of the top buttons and then press below ones thats 16 buttons just there plenty enough for the low button game gw2 is.

Being a pc player myself I wouldent want to use a controller tho

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Curious if the team has given serious thought to porting to the next gen consoles?

Yes. Several times. The answer was always that they’re not interested in doing that.
(it’s not the first time someone asked that question)

From what we’ve been told, that would not only require rewriting the game engine from scratch (something they do not have manpower for), but also negatively impact the ability to introduce content patches, or, worse, to bugfix on the fly.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Ralkuth.1456

Ralkuth.1456

Final Fantasy 14 for consoles actually uses the controller with the shoulder buttons as action bar swaps. It works fairly well because FF14 is much more static, despite having quite a few rotational damage skills and defensive CDs.

GW2 has a lot more twitch, and some skill shots, so a controller would be a bit unwieldy. I don’t think the number of skills is the issue, but rather the need to hit a few simultaneously.

5 useless class titles
Carrying enemy team since 2012
“Multiclass implies you can actually play the class” – a certain royalty

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Final Fantasy 14 for consoles actually uses the controller with the shoulder buttons as action bar swaps. It works fairly well because FF14 is much more static, despite having quite a few rotational damage skills and defensive CDs.

GW2 has a lot more twitch, and some skill shots, so a controller would be a bit unwieldy. I don’t think the number of skills is the issue, but rather the need to hit a few simultaneously.

the big difference is that FF 14 is made with the console in mind, GW2 is completely made solely for the PC.
making GW2 for the console requires a huge amount of rework, even changing it so the console doesn’t miss anything.

tigirius.9014

14 buttons times 2 I’d say are enough buttons to handle the controls on this game.

tigirius.9014

the big difference is that FF 14 is made with the console in mind, GW2 is completely made solely for the PC.
making GW2 for the console requires a huge amount of rework, even changing it so the console doesn’t miss anything.

The other games listed here and those that have been ported already such as Star Trek Online, were never designed for the console at all. This title as I recall was stated to be developed for a possible port in the future which I believe was the reason for the limited number of abilities and the simple ui design.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

The other games listed here and those that have been ported already such as Star Trek Online, were never designed for the console at all. This title as I recall was stated to be developed for a possible port in the future which I believe was the reason for the limited number of abilities and the simple ui design.

and STO sucks on console, i have a maxed out character on PC and it works somewhat fine, on console it just doesn’t work at all.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Yes. Several times. The answer was always that they’re not interested in doing that.
(it’s not the first time someone asked that question)

From what we’ve been told, that would not only require rewriting the game engine from scratch (something they do not have manpower for), but also negatively impact the ability to introduce content patches, or, worse, to bugfix on the fly.

This.

It won’t happen, period.

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

while i doubt this will ever happen, i would love to see it, and it makes good business sense for Arena net.

ESO is success because of consoles. After a rough start on PC’s, being the only western RPG MMO on consoles has basically saved the game because they have the category all to themselves, unlike on PC where competition is steep. About 2/3rds of game sales and ESO Plus subs are console.

Skyrim is arguably the one of the most successful western / fantasy RPGs PC games in history. I’m not going to argue if Witcher3 is better, but more people play Skyrim (or Skyrim SE) on a daily basis today (per Steam user count) than Witcher3 by nearly double even though Skyrim is much older. 84% of Skyrim sales were on console.

Diablo 3 has sold over 12 million PC copies becoming the 4th* (wikipedia source is clearly missing some major games) most popular PC game of all time, but it sold another 18 million+ on consoles. And in an unusual twist of fate, it plays way better on consoles because its not such a carpal-tunnel inducing click fest.

I play GW2 with a controller (xb elite), and I do about 80% as good as I do with my razor naga epic. I play on my couch with the PC plugged into the bigscreen. It’s comfortable for long game sessions.

But I would buy a 100$ copy of GW2 on XBox in a heartbeat just to not have deal with the PC. Life is so much easier on a console (for a couch player) because you can easily watch TV, netflix, hbo now, play music or a game with a “hey cortana” or a controller.

But on PC-on-tv, either I need to keep a wireless keyboard and mouse in the ottoman (awkward and cluttery) or I have to get up and double click / sign in to GW2 before I start, then remember to swap inputs back to the Xbox when I’m done so the family can use their normal apps. Just thinking about that makes me sign into ESO most nights instead of GW2 despite GW2 being the better game.

Think about it Anet, even if its not until the next-next expansion or GW3. Diablo 3 more than doubled their money. ESO tripled their money. Skyrim quintupled their money. It would cost more development time, but it likely wouldnt cost double.

And if anyone is stupid enough to buy black lion keys its console players.

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: DirtyDan.4759

DirtyDan.4759

How do you use the chat or lfg in an efficent way without a keyboard? I immensly disliked it typing any word with a controller on the ps4. Before they even think about a console port they should update their engine.

[quote=6628946;Astralporing.1957:]

(edited by DirtyDan.4759)

Posted by: Raven.9603

Raven.9603

xbox controller has a keyboard attachment, though most of my WvW time is spent in TeamSpeak, Raids in Discord, and in dungeons I generally dont want to talk to the crazies.

ESO solves this in console specific versions by incorporating either XBL’s chat (great, because its your buddies) or zone chat in game (full of trolls when you’re in a city, not bad in actual zones).

SBI | Oceans | Ranger – Thief – Ele – Eng – Nec – Guard – Rev
Celestial Avatar is like an old man: Takes forever to get up and is spent in 4 seconds

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Mapping to a controller might be possible, but it isn’t exactly fun or intuitive — going from 4-button sets to 5-skill sets is a little wonky.

That said, hopefully GW3 is built from the ground up to be more console and controller friendly. Maybe they could go full-on action adventure MMO, instead of the clunky platforming and kinda-sorta-action combat they have now.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Mapping to a controller might be possible, but it isn’t exactly fun or intuitive — going from 4-button sets to 5-skill sets is a little wonky.

That said, hopefully GW3 is built from the ground up to be more console and controller friendly. Maybe they could go full-on action adventure MMO, instead of the clunky platforming and kinda-sorta-action combat they have now.

Let’s deal with that when the time comes, in probably 5 years or more.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

It would be great. Not that I would play an MMO on console, but it would make a lot more sales. But anet is famous for not having the manpower and the ability to make such changes: we basically still play on a modified GW1 engine with DX9 which is more than 10 years old. Imagine that, it’s beyond ridiculous. Even the forums here are ancient and they can’t/won’t update it, be cause the developer doesn’t exist anymore. So we are still stuck with the well known forum bug and the not working search function… simply beyond ridiculous and absolutely incomprehensible for a company that produces ‘AAA’ games.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

The reason I ask is due to yet another series of big names coming over TERA, Black Desert Online, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Etc etc yada yada the list is growing every year.

Question: If you build the game for consoles during the development of the next expansion wouldn’t that cut costs?

Additionally. The information is basically the same for what the character owns and what it has completed. Would we see a port with the ability to bring our toons over that we already had?

I do not know about the other games but at least in ESO the pc world and the console world never cross. You have to choose one or the other, no porting or the like.

I vaguely recall a dev statement years ago that consoles were not in their plan. We just finally got a real beta for macs and even that is not polished. Consoles would be a whole new major development effort.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

as well as overwatch that is cross platform as well too i think .

No it does not have cross platform play.