Suggestion: Optional charr walk/run animation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ruskiyvix.1694

Ruskiyvix.1694

I’ve loved the Charr since first playing Guild Wars as an 11yo way back in 2006, and always wanted to play as one. I know it sounds like a trivial thing, but the Charr quadrupedal walking/running animation really detracts from the immersion for me. I know the lore explanation behind this (though despite that we see Charr NPCs walking upright in GW2), but I think it would be great to have an option to switch to an upright, bipedal stance for walking/running. Charge money for it if you must, just please give us the ability to walk and run upright. It’s been requested since release, and the models are already rigged for it, so it’s just a matter of letting the player enable it.

Pretty please?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

Totally agreed. It would save my dormant charr character from being deleted because the quadrupedal running has bothered me ever since. Please ANet, give the player the option to enable permanent bipedal movement.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Well, there is an option to toggle between walk speed and run speed, and charr only get down on all fours when running, and out of combat running at that. So if you want to run around on two feet all the time, I recommend using a weapon skill every so often, even if it will slow you down in the long run.

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

I don’t want to disappoint you, but I am pretty sure everybody playing a Charr and being annoyed by the running animation will already have had that notion. This alternative ultimately failing the expectations could be the reason this thread exists.

That being said, having to press buttons to not being annoyed at all time because of something as basic as the running animation hardly seems to be a real solution. It’s more like having to pull on a piece of rope which opens your roof on a rainy day to flush the toilet. It works somehow, but you are still not satisfied.

ANet, gimme bipedal running and take my money!!!

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

Posted by: Ruskiyvix.1694

Ruskiyvix.1694

Yeah, having to constantly draw your weapon or walk everywhere is a fair suggestion but isn’t really a fix.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Just let us toggle permanent weapon draw i will be a happy charr.

The 4 leg run animation had haunted me since launch.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I love the 4 leg run animation. I would pay to be able to instantly go back to the 4 leg run as soon as the skill animations end.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’m not going to dig it up, but eons ago, I had the suggestion of adding different walks and runs and idle animations as things we could just buy and enable/disable on our own, like a glider or a mini pet (though, with idle animations, you would could turn on multiple and it would cycle/random through those selected).

It spawned out of them changing one of the character’s old running animations and removing a bunch of their idle animations, and would allow people to set what ‘they’ would like to see at their own discretion.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

What it really should be is upright/2-legged animation for normal running, all-fours for boosted running (i.e. swiftness).

Still won’t fix NPCs, as they never run on all fours.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

What it really should be is upright/2-legged animation for normal running, all-fours for boosted running (i.e. swiftness).

Still won’t fix NPCs, as they never run on all fours.

Why should it really be that way? All creatures have optimal gaits which they use for different speeds, be it a jog, trot, canter, etc. Rabbits go from hopping to a bound. Astronauts on the moon go to an asymmetric skip. Char go to a gallop (I think, though I’d have to look at the full animation).

Asking a charr to use two limbs over four at speed would be similar to me asking you to do speed walking instead of jogging to get from A to B quickly (i.e. sub-optimal). It’s how Anet made the race.

As for the NPCs, I wonder if they even stow their weapons properly, or ever get up to the speed of players (I’d have to hop in-game again to check).

G R E E N E R

Posted by: Pache.9406

Pache.9406

Wow you guys for real? Quadrupedal running is one of the main reasons I love Charr. No disrespect, but what exactly is your thought process when you decide to create a BEAST race, if you want it to behave exactly like a human? That’s quite simply absurd! If you want bipedal running, there’s 4 other races that appeal to that. No need to ruin a perfectly designed race only because of limited imagination preventing people to appreciate anything non human.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I like the four-legged run.

But for gameplay balance it’s no faster than any other race’s regular autorun pace, which I think makes it a little silly. I can’t outrun a human when down on all fours? Hence why I feel it could be neater as an animation for when your speed is buffed, rather than when you are autorunning or meandering around a city.

The animations themselves and everything are terrific, yes, and it’s nice to have charr be further different from the other races.

Posted by: Ookamikun.6472

Ookamikun.6472

Nah I’m fine with four legged.

But you know what I want as part of a new run animation? Charr’s walk animation with weapon drawn as a run animation. Sucks that the asurans have that animation for running with weapon but not Charr.