[Suggestion] Places of worship in Kryta

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zelanard.5806

Zelanard.5806

So, because of the creative way that i wrote my last topic, it was removed from this section of the forum to the community creations part of the forum… To my great amusement.
Therefore, here’s plain old boring boring edition: Some of the old magic from gw, feels rather sad to miss out on in GW2. It wasn’t about the stat boosts, it wasn’t about the buildings. In gw, when you used /kneel in front of a shrine, an emissary of the god would show itself to you. it was all about the lore, and in gw2, there’s but a small remnant of it renaming.
This only happens when you kneel in front of the Dwayna statue in Martyr’s tomb, and the grenth statue in the personal story.

It would be awesome if we could get some road shrines in Kryta with the same effect and the option to pay an offering to the god. The offering boon don’t have to be something splendid, a speed boost would be plenty for all I care. But having some of the lore bound mechanics back would be superb.

What do you think?

When commenting on a suggestion:
Leave it to A-net to decide whether the suggestion is possible or not.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oh, is that what you were asking for. I couldn’t make heads nor tails out of your previous post.

Yeah. Shrines we could kneel at and get boosts would be cool. However since the lore says the gods have left Tyria to itself I don’t see how it would work. Either they’re around and they can give boosts or they’re not around and they can’t.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Zelanard.5806

Oh, is that what you were asking for. I couldn’t make heads nor tails out of your previous post.

Yeah. Shrines we could kneel at and get boosts would be cool. However since the lore says the gods have left Tyria to itself I don’t see how it would work. Either they’re around and they can give boosts or they’re not around and they can’t.

The gods left according to the lore, way before the events of gw1 during the exodus of the gods… We have racial skills that call their power as it is. that they gods left only means that they left In Person.

Edit: Thus, after the events of gw1, the only thing that makes the gods be less essential, is that we have abandoned them, not the other way around. :P

Zelanard.5806

…Was it really that hard to decrypt that? T.T

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Personally I couldn’t really tell what you were trying to say either. It looked like some RP on the forum to me. For suggestions, if you want the busy Anet staff to read and consider them it’s probably best to be as clear and concise as possible.

The Burninator

Zelanard.5806

Personally I couldn’t really tell what you were trying to say either. It looked like some RP on the forum to me. For suggestions, if you want the busy Anet staff to read and consider them it’s probably best to be as clear and concise as possible.

From my perspective, I was being Very clear… >.> From my perspective, there were NOTHING to misunderstand and NOTHING that was hard to get… So yeah… Obviously…

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Well I’m not going to argue with you about it. Just a suggestion for your future suggestions.

The Burninator

Zelanard.5806

Well I’m not going to argue with you about it. Just a suggestion for your future suggestions.

ik… sry… it just hit a soft spot ^^’

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I understood exactly what you were asking for. Well, almost exactly. I didn’t realize you were asking for actual boons, I thought you were asking that there be more flavor locations in the world since humans worship six gods that at one time were manifest and we know there are shrines to them, so why don’t we see those shrines the way we see norn spirit shrines?

I also predicted (to myself, so I cannot prove this) that it would be sent to Community Creations due to being very creative writing.

As to the suggestion itself, I’m all for more detail in the world, more things scattered about because they would be there in an “actual” Tyria even though they have no game mechanic advantage. More infrastructure, if you will. It makes the world feel so much more complete.

Zelanard.5806

I understood exactly what you were asking for. Well, almost exactly. I didn’t realize you were asking for actual boons, I thought you were asking that there be more flavor locations in the world since humans worship six gods that at one time were manifest and we know there are shrines to them, so why don’t we see those shrines the way we see norn spirit shrines?

I also predicted (to myself, so I cannot prove this) that it would be sent to Community Creations due to being very creative writing.

As to the suggestion itself, I’m all for more detail in the world, more things scattered about because they would be there in an “actual” Tyria even though they have no game mechanic advantage. More infrastructure, if you will. It makes the world feel so much more complete.

I added the “boons” to the actual suggestion ^^’ that’s why it weren’t there in the original post
And this is exactly what I meant. A huge bunch of the lore is stuffed away in the gods, and the gods, well… those we never really see except for inside of DR, which is just sad.
(And TY, it saves my day to know I’m not completely incomprehensible ^^’)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’d like to see the interact action removed on those statues, especially if they’re interactable objects that don’t do anything.

Instead, it would be neat if you could interact with the statues by using emotes; e.g. /kneel. And even cooler if different emotes had different results; e.g. /kneel gives a boon, /threaten turns you into a moa.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

I like this idea (liked your letter version as well). not sure why there aren’t more statues and such of the human gods that give boons, seeing as there are quite a few norn shrines that give boons for kneeling at them, and charr statues that do the same if you salute.

while the boons never last for long, I feel it gives those areas a lot of flavor just from having them and having them across Kryta would have the same positive effect.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: KestrelGirl.9267

KestrelGirl.9267

And even cooler if different emotes had different results; e.g. /kneel gives a boon, /threaten turns you into a moa.

Anet, PLEASE make this how Lyssa’s statue works.

Zelanard.5806

So, where would you guys want to see temples and shrines?

Posted by: Ishtar.6457

Ishtar.6457

Huh..? There’s already a lot of shrines and statues that gives you boons when you kneel o.o .. also, have you tried dancing in front of statue of abaddon inside the durmand priory basement?

Zelanard.5806

Huh..? There’s already a lot of shrines and statues that gives you boons when you kneel o.o .. also, have you tried dancing in front of statue of abaddon inside the durmand priory basement?

Point is: There should be at least one at every Krytan village or outpost…
Right now there’s One in Harati Hinterlands. And I’ve heard rumours that the Grenth statue in Lornars pass have that effect too, but it doesn’t work for me when I try it.
In the open world, that’s the only two places of worship to the human gods that have any effect as far as I know… Please, do enlighten me on more?

(and yes, but that is locked inside story instances and thus, does not contribute to the open world flavour effects)

Zelanard.5806

I mean really, places that should have shrines would, of the top of my head, include:

• Eldvin Monastery
  • Village of Shaemoor
  • Township of Claypool
  • Swamplost Haven
  • Beetletun
  • Stoneguard
  • Nebo Terrace
  • Ascalon Settlement
  • First Haven
  • Seraph’s Landing
  • Fort Salma
  • Overlake haven
  • Triskell Quary
  • Garenhoff
  • Black haven
  • Kessex Haven

And none of these places have even the hint, of there being any human gods, while All of them should have it… That is, unless the humans turned their backs on the gods, which we clearly didn’t since our racial skills indicate that we do pray to them, AND they do answer our prayers…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

There are actually a few places in the world that work like this already. Not all of them related to the human gods. For example there’s a statue of Pyre Fierceshot in Plains of Ashford which my charr saluted and she got a buff from that.

They couldn’t bring back the exact system from GW1 because the lore says the gods have withdrawn even further from Tyria. Yes they physically left the world long before GW1, but there are numerous mentions of the fact that they’ve ceased to directly answer prayers too. Their avatars very rarely appear, their statues don’t have the same power they did and some even suspect Grenth has lost control of the Underworld – given the number of Underworld creatures breaking through and the inability of humans to enter his realm.

But they could probably add more shrines and maybe have a minor effect on them, like kneeling in front of them makes your character feel more positive and that gives them a boost.

(Also just an FYI for your original post – Krytans, even in formal settings, use modern English. A sentence like “I write to thee this letter,” would be as outdated to them as it is to us.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Let me get this right, you want my Charr characters to kneel before deities? Much less possibly human ones?

Zelanard.5806

(Also just an FYI for your original post – Krytans, even in formal settings, use modern English. A sentence like “I write to thee this letter,” would be as outdated to them as it is to us.)

You sure ain’t used to dealing with royalty or nobility. It’s not the least out dated.
It’s just not used amongst, or when speaking to, normal people. In the royal chivalry (part of the life guard) we were taught to speak that way because that is how you do when speaking to royals or higher ranking officers.

Honestly, what the other races have is completely irrelevant to my OP.
I never said the exact system from gw1… >.> The point was to get more Flavour for the Human places, and possibly eliminating that unconfirmed hypothesis you just aired.
I read through the entire lore manual that was released with gw2, and don’t remember them mention that the gods have withdrawn further. I’d really like to see where you get that from? (I will start reading it again to confirm, cos I don’t trust my memory now xD)
Obviously the gods will lose power in the world when they loose followers and believers, that is no excuse to let their places of worship decay, now is it?

Zelanard.5806

Let me get this right, you want my Charr characters to kneel before deities? Much less possibly human ones?

No. I want humans to kneel before human shrines. Charr can go salute their statues of their hero’s instead…

Just a flesh wound.3589

No. I want humans to kneel before human shrines. Charr can go salute their statues of their hero’s instead…

What would Asura and Sylvari do then? Are there going to be different shrines for all the races on each map or will each race only able to get a buff while on its racial maps? What about shared maps, such as Maguuma for both Asura and Sylvari? If only racial maps then what about non core maps (where buffs would be more wanted than the core maps).

If you’re going to split it up by race and each race can only get buffs from their race’s then it quickly becomes either too restrictive or too unwieldy.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Zelanard.5806

What would Asura and Sylvari do then? Are there going to be different shrines for all the races on each map or will each race only able to get a buff while on its racial maps? What about shared maps, such as Maguuma for both Asura and Sylvari? If only racial maps then what about non core maps (where buffs would be more wanted than the core maps).

If you’re going to split it up by race and each race can only get buffs from their race’s then it quickly becomes either too restrictive or too unwieldy.

I never said that it shouldn’t work for other races…
Menadena.7482: stated a Lorewise issue with a Charr being willing to kneel to the human gods, which makes perfect sense. That does not mean that it should not work for him to do so…
And no, Sylvari are as a race atheists and asura, though admitting to the existance of the human gods, does not build shrines… they are scientists. they build labs…

Just a flesh wound.3589

Menadena.7482: stated a Lorewise issue with a Charr being willing to kneel to the human gods, which makes perfect sense. That does not mean that it should not work for him to do so…
And no, Sylvari are as a race atheists and asura, though admitting to the existance of the human gods, does not build shrines… they are scientists. they build labs…

“No. I want humans to kneel before human shrines. Charr can go salute their statues of their hero’s instead…”

Well, this says that humans and Charr would have their own separate shrines. Human shrines in human lands and hero statues in Charr lands, so it implies separation. Seems kind of strange for a human to salute a Charr hero who may have killed or enslaved humans during the time of the searing to get a blessing….

So how does it work for Sylvari and Asura then? They don’t get to have any boosts? Someone playing on a Sylvari or Asura with a friend who has a human, Charr or Norn character and one can get a boost and the other can’t? Or does a Sylvari, an atheist, kneel at a human god shrine and that god give him a boost?

Edit: how do Charr hero statues give a boon anyway? God statues do because they’e gods and gods can do that. Who or what is giving the boon with a Charr statue? Does the Charr hero have godlike power of boon giving because the Charr made a statue of him? Would any statue of any Charr work? How famous or important would the Charr need to be to give a boon upon a salute?

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Zelanard.5806

“No. I want humans to kneel before human shrines. Charr can go salute their statues of their hero’s instead…”

Well, this says that humans and Charr would have their own separate shrines. Human shrines in human lands and hero statues in Charr lands, so it implies separation. Seems kind of strange for a human to salute a Charr hero who may have killed or enslaved humans during the time of the searing to get a blessing….

So how does it work for Sylvari and Asura then? They don’t get to have any boosts? Someone playing on a Sylvari or Asura with a friend who has a human, Charr or Norn character and one can get a boost and the other can’t? Or does a Sylvari, an atheist, kneel at a human god shrine and that god give him a boost?

Edit: how do Charr hero statues give a boon anyway? God statues do because they’e gods and gods can do that. Who or what is giving the boon with a Charr statue? Does the Charr hero have godlike power of boon giving because the Charr made a statue of him? Would any statue of any Charr work? How famous or important would the Charr need to be to give a boon upon a salute?

Charr already have theirs and i was responding to what Menadena.7482 said. quit taking what i say out of context please?

For a response to the rest of what you just said: Go to Victory Cenotaph in plains of ashford and use /salute in front of the statue with an asura or sylvari. there you have your answer.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It may be in game but truthfully, lore wise, it makes no sense. Why should any god bless an atheist? How does the Charr statue give a boon when boon giving at a statue is a god like attribute. Why would making a statue of a mortal, no matter how famous they are, give the statue or the dead person the ability to give a blessing? Why only Charr statues then? Why wouldn’t statues of famous Humans, Norn, Sylvari or Asura give a buff too upon request?

But, no matter. You just want shrines and statues that give buffs and whether or not it makes sense is beside the point.

/shrug.

ANet may give it to you.

Zelanard.5806

It may be in game but truthfully, lore wise, it makes no sense. Why should any god bless an atheist? How does the Charr statue give a boon when boon giving at a statue is a god like attribute. Why would making a statue of a mortal, no matter how famous they are, give the statue or the dead person the ability to give a blessing? Why only Charr statues then? Why wouldn’t statues of famous Humans, Norn, Sylvari or Asura give a buff too upon request?

But, no matter. You just want shrines and statues that give buffs and whether or not it makes sense is beside the point.

/shrug.

I’ve said a few times now, and allow me to cut it out in neon for you The Buff Does Not Matter! It Is Not Important!
No one care about the buff… it’s a minor effect… What we care about is the Flavour and the Lore… And it makes perfect sense. Why would a god not bless ANYONE who chose to worship them, regardless of which race they belong to?
Kneeling in front of a shrine = sign of worship. Thus the god would bless you, regardless of which race you belong to…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

For lore only….ok, but in lore a Charr would not worship a Human God, or any other kind of god, I believe. Same with Asura. The Sylvari might do it once or twice, lore-wise, just to experiment, perhaps.

Thus, ‘just for Lore’ would have to make sense, lore-wise, through-out the game, no?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Are we really talking about worship or just respecting a foreign custom? I can see a charr politely kneeling to a human god shrine to get some boon, without feeling any particular worship for the god, just as a human might salute a charr deity if that was the custom.
When in Rome…

Zelanard.5806

Are we really talking about worship or just respecting a foreign custom? I can see a charr politely kneeling to a human god shrine to get some boon, without feeling any particular worship for the god, just as a human might salute a charr deity if that was the custom.
When in Rome…

I think that the only ones who would ever worship the Human gods are Humans and possibly Norn (Since Norn admit to the gods being greater spirits).
To everyone else, it would be a polite gesture rather than a worship.

Menadena.7482

/shrug.

I’ve said a few times now, and allow me to cut it out in neon for you The Buff Does Not Matter! It Is Not Important!
No one care about the buff… it’s a minor effect… What we care about is the Flavour and the Lore… And it makes perfect sense. Why would a god not bless ANYONE who chose to worship them, regardless of which race they belong to?
Kneeling in front of a shrine = sign of worship. Thus the god would bless you, regardless of which race you belong to…

What you want is already in the game for the most part then since you are ignoring boons. Go to racial cities and you will find statues, labs, and whatever. Well, not the Sylvari but plants and the Great Tree are there. Is it just a matter of requesting the emotes then?

Posted by: nyctalopia.4735

nyctalopia.4735

/shrug.

What you want is already in the game for the most part then since you are ignoring boons. Go to racial cities and you will find statues, labs, and whatever. Well, not the Sylvari but plants and the Great Tree are there. Is it just a matter of requesting the emotes then?

As I understand OP’s perspective, it’s the possibility of some sort of lore-related reaction from paying homage/saluting/worshipping at these shrines that is being requested here. Shrine/statue-emote interactions already exist at rare points through Central Tyria, and it would be nice to see more.

Zelanard.5806

/shrug.

As I understand OP’s perspective, it’s the possibility of some sort of lore-related reaction from paying homage/saluting/worshipping at these shrines that is being requested here. Shrine/statue-emote interactions already exist at rare points through Central Tyria, and it would be nice to see more.

Not really… my point is that kryta is bigger than divinity’s reach. Yet there is no intact shrines except for in DR. I don’t care about what is in the cities. The cities are packed with it and need nothing more. I care about what is in the countryside. my suggestion is simply that the Krytan maps are made to contain some of the Human culture that have been completely neglected in this game, but was there as a subtle layer in All of the first guild wars.

The emotes/Salutes/Whatever are just a minor detail that I don’t really give a dime about, but some people find it amusing to get a reaction from doing stuff.
Heck, for all i care it might as well just write on your screen “You feel the gods gaze upon you” and then nothing else happens. Though I don’t care about the boons and what’s not, it would still make sense to use it, since it’s already implemented.

EDIT: As it is now, the human maps are generic around maps with NO cultural depth and NO feeling that connect them to their race. I find this sad and i think adding some flavour to the maps could improve the experience from being in them, a lot.

(edited by Zelanard.5806)

Posted by: WhiteKnight.6759

WhiteKnight.6759

The gods left according to the lore, way before the events of gw1 during the exodus of the gods… We have racial skills that call their power as it is. that they gods left only means that they left In Person.

Edit: Thus, after the events of gw1, the only thing that makes the gods be less essential, is that we have abandoned them, not the other way around. :P

At the end of Nightfall, the gods told us that we were on their own in the cut scene at the end of the next to last mission. That was long after the exodus.

Zelanard.5806

At the end of Nightfall, the gods told us that we were on their own in the cut scene at the end of the next to last mission. That was long after the exodus.

Obviously. They were talking about the fight against Abaddon. I fail to see how that is related to anything. Especially since they still answer our prayers. (Have a look at the human racial skills >.>)

Menadena.7482

/shrug.

Not really… my point is that kryta is bigger than divinity’s reach. Yet there is no intact shrines except for in DR. I don’t care about what is in the cities. The cities are packed with it and need nothing more. I care about what is in the countryside. my suggestion is simply that the Krytan maps are made to contain some of the Human culture that have been completely neglected in this game, but was there as a subtle layer in All of the first guild wars.

The emotes/Salutes/Whatever are just a minor detail that I don’t really give a dime about, but some people find it amusing to get a reaction from doing stuff.
Heck, for all i care it might as well just write on your screen “You feel the gods gaze upon you” and then nothing else happens. Though I don’t care about the boons and what’s not, it would still make sense to use it, since it’s already implemented.

EDIT: As it is now, the human maps are generic around maps with NO cultural depth and NO feeling that connect them to their race. I find this sad and i think adding some flavour to the maps could improve the experience from being in them, a lot.

I would not say they are lacking in flavor, I am guessing you are from the US or at least western Europe?

At one point I was thinking of what music genres would go best with different maps. For example, Orr was somewhere between darker Pink Floyd pieces and some types of metal. Anyway, I put Kryta as country/western. Depending on your RL culture that may be standard but it is certainly a genre! Think of it from an, oh, Charr POV … it is completely different than what you grew up with.

The people that live in Kryta probably revere spots already. Mountains in the local lore, special buildings, things like that.

Zelanard.5806

/shrug.

I would not say they are lacking in flavor, I am guessing you are from the US or at least western Europe?

At one point I was thinking of what music genres would go best with different maps. For example, Orr was somewhere between darker Pink Floyd pieces and some types of metal. Anyway, I put Kryta as country/western. Depending on your RL culture that may be standard but it is certainly a genre! Think of it from an, oh, Charr POV … it is completely different than what you grew up with.

The people that live in Kryta probably revere spots already. Mountains in the local lore, special buildings, things like that.

You’re way off dude… I’m from Scandinavia. And I’m not comparing it to irl I’m comparing it to gw1.