Suggestion: Please allow Gliders in JPs.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Claudia De Anar.6304

Claudia De Anar.6304

I know, I know, then players like me will be bypassing alot of the content. Yes exactly. I’ve played this game off and on 3 years now; I feel exactly the same about them I did the first time I plummeted to a pointless and painful death.

I Loathe them.

I’ve rolled a Warrior, and Ele, and a few other I hardly play. Never rolled a jumping bean; would not. For myself at least any RPG is about combat, taking on and Taking down the biggest baddest mobs I can solo.

I dont play MMOs to engage in problem solving, I do enough of that at work thankyou; but in order to get credit for clearing a zone. I am forced to do this thing I Loathe, quite sure Im not the only person that loathes it. and the people that like JPs. Im sure they are out there, though I cant imagaine why. They dont have to deploy their glider ever.

Please consider relenting on this one, it adds nothing to the game. Its just another arbitrary and artifical problem with an equally arbitrary solution. Personally cant imagine anyone reaching the end of one of these things and saying. kitten I enjoyed that…

Relief is not enjoying. Saying thank god that is over with is not an expression of enjoyment only relief. Ie Its just not fun. Never was, never will be. And should games not be fun, no? Ty for your time.

Claudia de Anar: An Equal Oppertunity Massacre.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

People will never like 100% of a game.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

but in order to get credit for clearing a zone. I am forced to do this thing I Loathe

Hi Claudia – can you elaborate more on this one? Do you mean there’s a poi or vista in a jp somewhere?

Personally cant imagine anyone reaching the end of one of these things and saying. kitten I enjoyed that…

Um… come with me on a few and you’ll see that. I’ll even bring a mes and portal you up to the end so you can get the achievement.

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

but in order to get credit for clearing a zone. I am forced to do this thing I Loathe

Hi Claudia – can you elaborate more on this one? Do you mean there’s a poi or vista in a jp somewhere?

Personally cant imagine anyone reaching the end of one of these things and saying. kitten I enjoyed that…

Um… come with me on a few and you’ll see that. I’ll even bring a mes and portal you up to the end so you can get the achievement.

^ Same. I used to hate JP, but I started doing them and ended up loving them. I do them for fun sometimes now.

On topic, I wouldn’t complain if gliding was active in every JP. Now that I’ve gotten used to it, I use it as a standard part of my mobility and tend to mess up when it doesn’t deploy as expected.

Of course, then there’s the issue of skipping portions of the puzzles, etc etc, and if gliding were to be active in every puzzle, then people should definitely have a toggle to turn it off for themselves.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Venatorn.7619

Venatorn.7619

The point of jps are for a (sortof) challenging platforming ‘minigame’ if you enable gliders in jps it will just kill them even more than portals
Also, and this is going to seem/be a small rant … But nothing in this game feels like an achievement because everything has been dumbed down so much. Idk why everyone seems to need an easy way to obtain and do everything. Easy makes things get boring much quicker.

All proffesions 80

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

There are a couple of places where map completion requires doing a jumping puzzle (Dredgehaunt Cliffs, Straits of Devastation, and Diessa Plateau come immediately to mind, and then there are the HoT maps which have a lot of jp elements worked into their design).

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

There are a couple of places where map completion requires doing a jumping puzzle (Dredgehaunt Cliffs, Straits of Devastation, and Diessa Plateau come immediately to mind, and then there are the HoT maps which have a lot of jp elements worked into their design).

Oh, you’re right! I just remembered Vizier’s Tower!!

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

There’s a lot of places where gliders are disabled that they really shouldn’t be (like Dreamdark Enclave, where they would be very useful at keeping you from falling to your death and not much else).

Also they’re not allowed in that big dredge mine in the middle of Dredgehaunt (it isn’t even a jumping puzzle) because… reasons? That’s another “boy, being able to glide and not fall to my death would sure be handy” area.

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

This would be an unfair buff,as it then favours players with hot,over players who don’t.
To make it fair,all players would have to be given gliding ability outside the hot zones.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m confused. People want gliders enabled so that they can bypass some jumping puzzles. How do they expect to get enough height to do so without actually doing a JP?

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I’m not a fan of JP’s, but the ones you have to do are really easy. Next thing you’ll tell me is you don’t like fractals because some of them are like jumping puzzles.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

Hi Claudia,

If you find some of the Jumping Puzzles frustrating, let me suggest you find a Mesmer to help you out. for instance, I port many of the hardest jumping puzzles. I offer direct ports to the end.

So there is already a mechanic in place to help you. If Gliders were enabled, then it would completely trivialize the experience.

And yes using a mesmer port trivializes it, but that is a choice. By enabling gliding, it will trivialize the JPs for those who WANT to attempt the JPs.

Also mesmers aren’t always around so theres that. However, if your patient, it wont take too long to find someone who is willing to help.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

Hi Claudia,

If you find some of the Jumping Puzzles frustrating, let me suggest you find a Mesmer to help you out. for instance, I port many of the hardest jumping puzzles. I offer direct ports to the end.

So there is already a mechanic in place to help you. If Gliders were enabled, then it would completely trivialize the experience.

And yes using a mesmer port trivializes it, but that is a choice. By enabling gliding, it will trivialize the JPs for those who WANT to attempt the JPs.

Also mesmers aren’t always around so theres that. However, if your patient, it wont take too long to find someone who is willing to help.

You know you could always not use the glider if you don’t want your jps trivialized? Instead of seriously suggesting inconveniencing another player just because their profession happens to have a jp-bypass button…

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

There was really no point in disabling gliding, unless they really did it for the people that complain about accidentally gliding on jumps. Some don’t even have gliding disabled, though it’s not much help unless you fall. If they wanted to stop people from cheating, they should have disabled the use of portals and made them adventures where your skills are locked and you have to start from the beginning. Rather than disable gliding in the area, it could have been limited to just the active adventure. In their current state, as long as you can login to loot the chest, they can never be rewarding.

Posted by: Claudia De Anar.6304

Claudia De Anar.6304

Ty all for your replies pro and con. I do rely on my Mesmer Guildmates; got a boost to the vista at the end of the JP in Dredgehaunt just last night. ty all much. C.

Claudia de Anar: An Equal Oppertunity Massacre.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Hmm, perhaps ANet should implement mechanic with prompt that is asked every time player enters a jumping puzzle area: “Do you want to complete this jumping puzzle for the reward, gliding will be disabled for the time spent on doing it.”

This way it’ll disable achievement progression and doesn’t offer rewards at all, but allows players to use glider in the jumping puzzle.

But then again it might not make much sense othervise, since jumping puzzles rarely have any kind of followup paths into some area, to which players would want to get access… :/

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There’s a lot of places where gliders are disabled that they really shouldn’t be (like Dreamdark Enclave, where they would be very useful at keeping you from falling to your death and not much else).

Also they’re not allowed in that big dredge mine in the middle of Dredgehaunt (it isn’t even a jumping puzzle) because… reasons? That’s another “boy, being able to glide and not fall to my death would sure be handy” area.

That area in Dredgehaunt becomes an unofficial JP when the Guild Rush is activated

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Please consider relenting on this one, it adds nothing to the game. Its just another arbitrary and artifical problem with an equally arbitrary solution.

Someone could say that adding mobs to a zone or mechanics to a boss is the same: Its just another arbitrary and artifical problem with an equally arbitrary solution.

I do every time.

Most of the JP aren’t needed for anything. The few that are needed, usually are easy.

However, I think adding gliding to them shouldn’t be that big a problem, as long as the JP is going up, not down.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: MMAI.5892

MMAI.5892

Claudia,

You can experiment with your skills too. I discovered that with my Guardian greatsword leap I could clear longer, horizontal/jumps with little elevation difference much easier. They don’t always work depending on the jumps, but some skills can help ease the frustration once you figure out a trick or two like that.

Personally, I’m mixed on gliders in JPs. On one hand I’d like the option to not fall to my death/land somewhere that I didn’t have to start all over again and there are times I forget that I can’t glide because I’m so used to gliding. On the other hand, I’ve had many a jump botched by glider deployment.

Now, if I could just figure out the exact placement for the diving achiev on the Not So Secret JP I could happily never look at that thing again! Thank you to all Mesmers who provide valuable portal service there. That vertical jump after the horizontal gears is my bane.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

If falling and dying is and issue I’d rather have them just set up a checkpoint/WP system where if you die, you can respawn back at the start of the JP.

I don’t think allowing gliders in JPs is a good idea at all.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood