Suggestion: Precursor boxes as AP rewards

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Seka.5647

Seka.5647

I think everyone can agree that 2 handed precursors (and most of the 1 handed as well) have horrible prices which tp flippers keep moving up because of the small supply there is in game.

So why not make an easy way to supply precursors to the game without having to go through all the pain and sweat with trying to create scavenger hunts which people might not find fun, and which might have chances to bug out or just not work in some ways.

What I’d like to suggest is to add a precursor box to every 5k OR 10k Achievement point reward, and this box would work with one of the following options
1. 100% chance to give any precursor, but which one it is will be decided by rng so people will not abuse it.
2. OR first box(at 5k ap) has a chance for underwater and offhand precursors, 2nd and so on (at 10k, 15k, 20k etc.) will have higher chance for 1hands & 2handers.
3. OR just have one box at 10k or 15k AP where you can pick which precursor you want.

Pros.
1. Reduces the precursor prices down to reasonable
2. Will make people more aware of achievements and will make them want to complete and maybe try different aspects of the game. (indirectly leading to higher skill level of players?)
3. Will reduce the unhappiness that is currently caused by really low chances on forge and even lower on world drops (because people refuse to buy those weapons with the prices they are at right now)
4. Everyone has EQUAL 100% chance of getting a random precursor this way
5. Reduces the amount of work for devs. as its just adding boxes, not creating whole new content (scavenger hunt)
6. Might also increase the gem market if people would want to buy things that indirectly or directly are linked to AP (such as transmutation crystals/charges when they have gathered t3 skins for The Emperor achievement, and ofc minipets for mini achievements!)
EDIT 7. (releated to number 2) This way will also allow people who play spvp or wvw mainly to have a sure way to acquire precursors -> encourage to try out PvE

Cons.

1. Increased supply might give extra money to tp flippers, but prices will still be forced to stay down because of ongoing supply
2. Some people might be unhappy about not being able to select the precursor they want – but still they might get something that sells for equal amount to just buy the one they want afterwards

I am the first Chronomancer and God of Lag.

(edited by Seka.5647)

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

NO just no its enough that ppl compete collecting AP and making it even worse lol. Also the precursor drop rate in open world is lower then gambling with rares in mystic forge.

Seka.5647

NO just no its enough that ppl compete collecting AP and making it even worse lol. Also the precursor drop rate in open world is lower then gambling with rares in mystic forge.

That’s why I added the 3rd. option for how the box could work :P.. and about the drop rates that’s exactly what I said in the text. – Also tell me what actually good rewards you can get from AP apart from the current 30gold and 400 gems and makeover kits? – Because I don’t consider titles, Zenith and those armorpiece skins that useful really and they certainly aren’t something I would look forward to when farming daily AP stuff..

(edited by Seka.5647)

Posted by: KenSniper.8690

KenSniper.8690

Sure it sounds nice and all, but legendary weapons has always been about the blood and sweat of your hard work to make it (unless you’re a scum that buys gold) you just gotta hope for the best that you get it through RNG, dropped exos in the mystic forge or collect money to buy them off tp, if it’s your first legendary and it felt like a lot of work, trust me, the feeling of getting it done is great

Posted by: Enjoyluck.2618

Enjoyluck.2618

Sure it sounds nice and all, but legendary weapons has always been about the blood and sweat of your hard work to make it (unless you’re a scum that buys gold) you just gotta hope for the best that you get it through RNG, dropped exos in the mystic forge or collect money to buy them off tp, if it’s your first legendary and it felt like a lot of work, trust me, the feeling of getting it done is great

Not for me the moment ascended update on legendary hit i crafted 2 straight of bat at first day. Only for extra stats. The shiney skin was just extra it was stil cheaper then crafting ascended in that time LOL.

Seka.5647

I crafted Sunrise, Dreamer and Twilight at start of the game when precursors were half or even less than half of the price that they are now. As well all the t6 and other materials were cheap and you could make good money farming in orr during that time.
But if you look at the prices what everything is at now, its just horrid..
And about the RNG on forge, I had used raw 2000 gold and tens of thousands of dungeon tokens to acquire a precursor BY MYSELF with my own stuff which I farmed with the blood and sweat. – Of course I could have taken the easy way and just bought something off the TP.. but thats just not how it works for some people. :P

Posted by: KenSniper.8690

KenSniper.8690

I crafted Sunrise, Dreamer and Twilight at start of the game when precursors were half or even less than half of the price that they were now. As well all the t6 and other materials were cheap and you could make good money farming in orr during that time.
But if you look at the prices what everything is at now, its just horrid..
And about the RNG on forge, I had used raw 2000 gold and tens of thousands of dungeon tokens to acquire a precursor BY MYSELF with my own stuff which I farmed with the blood and sweat. – Of course I could have taken the easy way and just bought something off the TP.. but thats just not how it works for some people. :P

Hah tell me about it, I remember back then precursors use to be only 60g and less, then after the karka event the price shot up by the hundreds, I don’t know why i took so long before I decided to make a legendary, but when i did, the legend cost 800g on the tp, but I’m not interested in other legendaries atm cept for the scepter, i’ll need to farm gold again since i blew it all on making my ascended armor

tfw i missed the karka event cuz i had my exams at the time

(edited by KenSniper.8690)

Seka.5647

“tfw i missed the karka event cuz i had my exams at the time”

I feel for you, and still the karka event didn’t have 100% chance to drop a prec. and the time it took was so long and boring (or it was just a DC fest for some people) —- actually during the event I was just randomly hitting mobs every 10-20 min in southsun shouting FREE PRECURSORS FOR EVERYONE – well the precursors came, and I got dawn which has been the only one I got myself but it didn’t feel like an achivement because the event was meant to have a big but random chance to give them anyway and hundreds of other people got it aswell so.. – And all you had to do was to just hit the Karka to get the contribution (or if I remember right you just had to be in the zone).

(edited by Seka.5647)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I missed the Karka event because #AustralianGamerProblems.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Zarathustra.1458

Zarathustra.1458

Seven Star,. As an aussie I was there and i got a precursor which i sold on for 120G kinda kicking myself now, the same bloody hammer is worth a thousand Gold..

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I think everyone can agree that 2 handed precursors (and most of the 1 handed as well) have horrible prices which tp flippers keep moving up because of the small supply there is in game.

I completely disagree. Not a single pre cursor has a wide enough price spread atm to offer any profit on flipping. The “horrible” prices are totally consumer driven and prices have actually been stable for over half a year now.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

It would be a wonderful idea, but the robber barons and the internet libertarians are going to tear you apart for suggesting it.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star,. As an aussie I was there and i got a precursor which i sold on for 120G kinda kicking myself now, the same bloody hammer is worth a thousand Gold..

I wasn’t. I was at real life things 3:

I missed the whole dam thing by about 3 hours or so.

I ? Karkas.

Seka.5647

With the todays blogpost talking about AP daily and monthly caps there will be less AP collecting in that way, also making it slower to get to 20k – and higher rewards.

Posted by: Triangulator.2867

Triangulator.2867

NO. No soup for YOU! You are not our equal. Legendary for the legendary only. /Sign petition.

Posted by: BondageBill.4021

BondageBill.4021

IMO, chest every 10k AP that lets you choose a precursor would be the best option. It also fits in with ANets vision of gradually building up a legendary over the long term of playing the game

“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Bad idea. Back when I played I spammed high level fractals because I found it fun and arguably the most challenging part of the game.
Guess how many achievement points I got for that?