[Suggestion] Preview gear in the open world

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

TL;DR: Allow us to preview items in the open world and not just the preview window

This is a bit far fetched suggestion but still something I’d like if anet can give some consideration to.

I don’t know if other people have had this, but it has happened to me that I see an armor or weapon skin or combination of skins I like when previewing from the bank, then when I finally get it and use it on my character, there’s something I don’t like or plainly hate of it.

Some examples, maybe there’s some clipping that only shows up when doing an animation (running/jumping and so on), maybe a weapon clips with the ground when used or when stowed, or there’s some clipping in areas that are obvious while playing but weren’t visible in the preview (on my thief, for example, the drover mask clips on top of the neck with the arah chestpiece, isn’t visible on preview), you don’t like how the materials or colors look with the lighting of the open world instead of the neutral lighting of the preview window, or you just plainly don’t look how the animations look when running of moving (the infinite wisdom focus, for example, I don’t like how the paper bit stretches when moving looking like it’s made of rubber) and so on.

Which is why I’d suggest having a way to preview items and item combinations in the open world, so we can see if we’ll really like it before making the effort to get the items or spending transmutation charges on them.

The way I could see it working, for example, you create your character look on the preview window the way you want it, weapons and all, and then you pay a certain amount of gold and/or gems and you get a short duration (5 mins or less, for example) non combat tonic that will transform you to that look so you can try it out. Even allow it to use armor that aren’t usable by your character and outfits, so that you can see how it would look on another character or even on one you want to create (I created my thief as a charr just because I loved how the chef outfit looked on charr)

Just an idea, what do you all think?

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

Could work, but it seems a bit excessive for me. Every preview I’ve seen has satisfied me, and I utilize not just the in game preview, but websites as well to see the items in action (images, sometimes video/GIFs). That’s just me, though, and this is the first topic I’ve seen of this nature regarding previews. Maybe others can give better feedback on it?

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |