Suggestion: Profession Leveling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

So, a lot of people will probably rip on me for stealing this from FFXIV, but I actually think there’s tremendous value in allowing players to level multiple professions on a single toon and swap between them, just like we can do with crafting skills. So far in playing the game, nothing has jumped out at me as making this an issue (the story is much more heavily influenced by your race than your profession), and it would allow commitment-phobic players to invest more heavily in a single toon (and, consequently, the game) and prevent having to play through the exhaustive story multiple times (unless the player wanted to).

Additionally, it could serve as a way to add new forms of horizontal progression in the future, such as incorporating minor elements of multi-classing by granting skills or traits based on different professions leveled, or building new elite specs off of it.

The only concern I see is related to the business of character slots, but there’s got to be some solution for that. Build a team of alternate heroes, perhaps?

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: suicidalspectre.8106

suicidalspectre.8106

Not to mention people who paid for extra profession slots.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not against the idea, although it doesn’t sound all that appealing to me. I prefer swapping toons to swap professions; there’s a lot less clutter for me.

However, this seems unlikely to be something they can do without lots of behind-the-scenes work, because profession is tied to some character-specific assumptions, such as armor weight.

In other words: interesting idea (doesn’t appeal to me); probably a lot more effort than assumed in the OP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Certainly an interesting idea that others have found compelling. However, it’s really not anything I’ve longed for. I have 25+ characters at max level and I don’t believe that concentrating them down through multi-professions is really what I was going for.