Suggestion: Rebalance Legendary Journey

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wolfyrik.2017

wolfyrik.2017

It occurs to me that not only is legendary journey extremely expensive for the first 3 experiments, but the output of those experiments are all completely worthless.
Let’s face it, at L80, when you start your journey, you’re already going to be equipped with L80 exotic weapons, not least because you’ve got to raise the necessary crafting professions for the Legendary you want. So what good does it do to have 3 of them, all requiring a ton of ascended materials each. The cost of each tier is disproportionate to the rest of the equally strong exotics you can acquire in the rest of the game.

I propose that the tiers of legendary crafting, since the outputs are largely useless to every player, should be spread through character levels, requiring tiers of relevent profession skill to build, much like the crafter’s backpacks.

My reasoning is two fold:

Firstly; making the journey a part of character growth would not only add meaning to the development of the legendary, binding it to your character in a much deeper fashion but the weapon would aslo grow with you. As a further benefit, the scavenger hunt would encourage exploration of the larger world and deep lore that GW2 provides. Much in the way Anet tried to do with trait discovery shinanegans, only it wouldn’t stand in the way of developing your toon, as the trait system did.

Secondly; the output of each experiment would be actually useful to your toon, providing a levelled stat-selected weapon that you can use as you progress through tyria. It’s shape and form progressing as you do.

Spreading the cost of crafting the weapon to be in line with the rest of the game, enhancing the journey and experience of levelling for new and returning players, rewarding alt-o-holics who tend to purchase character slots. Encouraging play in every game mode, spreading players throughout more of the maps at all levels. Lowering the discouragment of L80s.

Surely, this is win-win?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

No, legendary should be hard and annoying to get, that’s why it’s a legendary. And you have to level to 500 once. It’s not that it’s a big deal. The first time round it’s hard, but after doing your 6th and 7th legendary, it really isn’t an issue anymore.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You do realise that the finished legendary also has identical stats to the other, much easier to obtain, ascended weapons right?

Legendaries (and their precursors) were never supposed to be about stat progression. The entire point is that they’re entirely cosmetic, so it’s something you can get if you want a long-term goal to work towards after you’ve finished leveling or because you like the cool skin but if you don’t want to you’re not hindered by being able to get the best stats.

There’s already numerous ways to get level-appropriate equipment as you’re going along. Notably the level and story rewards and crafting. We don’t need legendaries changed into another way to do that.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

That’s because they are for legendary weapons. They aren’t supposed to be quick and easy and cheap to get. For those wishing to make the precursor and/or legendary, it should be a long term goal.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Legendaries are supposed to get easier and forgotten with an expansion as new Legendaries come into the market.

We really didn’t get a full set of legendaries but most people made legends when the game launched and they were dirt cheap. The new legendaries feel worthless because the old legionaries require so much work to acquire. It also destroys our market to have Anet artificially keeping the price up everything depreciates in this world and its what keeps our economy intact.

If the government kept every car that was ever released at it’s initial price point and removed all depreciation that would mess up the economy as bad as gw2’s. It’s more expensive to craft some legendaries than it is to straight up buy them and that’s before including time and labor.

Your exppensive purchases mean something when you buy them but mean nothing years down the line the presitige of old legendaries should be over who cares if you see a Bifrost or whatever. The prestige should come from the new items the people demanding the in game world remain frozen in time are part of the problem with this game. Someone crafted Eureka and I congratulated them in town the other day but the value of that mace will decrease in time just like everything else and trying to force it to remain prestigious for year will only bring ruin which it kinda has already for GW2.

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

no its fine as it is no reason for anet to waste more time on old ones. Go farm some gold and buy gem from anet like everyone else.

Seera.5916

Legendaries are supposed to get easier and forgotten with an expansion as new Legendaries come into the market.

We really didn’t get a full set of legendaries but most people made legends when the game launched and they were dirt cheap. The new legendaries feel worthless because the old legionaries require so much work to acquire. It also destroys our market to have Anet artificially keeping the price up everything depreciates in this world and its what keeps our economy intact.

If the government kept every car that was ever released at it’s initial price point and removed all depreciation that would mess up the economy as bad as gw2’s. It’s more expensive to craft some legendaries than it is to straight up buy them and that’s before including time and labor.

Your exppensive purchases mean something when you buy them but mean nothing years down the line the presitige of old legendaries should be over who cares if you see a Bifrost or whatever. The prestige should come from the new items the people demanding the in game world remain frozen in time are part of the problem with this game. Someone crafted Eureka and I congratulated them in town the other day but the value of that mace will decrease in time just like everything else and trying to force it to remain prestigious for year will only bring ruin which it kinda has already for GW2.

A few things wrong with your post.

1. Depreciation only occurs when things lose quality over time. Like the new car you bought in 2010 not being worth the same amount it was when you go to sell it 6 years later because it’s got wear and tear. Some things actually appreciate in price (go up) over time if they are maintained: art is a good example. Legendary weapons do not lose quality over time. They don’t suddenly become exotic or masterwork rarity just because they’re 2 years old. Therefore any price drop you think they should have would not be due to depreciation.

2. You’re assuming that ANet wants the older legendaries to be forgotten. Maybe they wanted to add options to the table for skins with legendary effects. So that if a player wants a legendary and wants to show it off, they have a choice on which skin they want. And considering one way to get them is to take out your credit card, buy gems, convert to gold, to buy the legendary off of the Trading Post, I wouldn’t put it past ANet to not want the old ones to be forgotten. You shouldn’t also. Because that helps you get more gems for your gold.

3. They were dirt cheap in the beginning because players didn’t have the gold to list them on the TP for the prices they list for today. And they knew other players didn’t have the gold to buy them.

4. You’re assuming that players obtain legendary weapons for the prestige. I’m working on crafting mine because I need a long term goal to work toward. Once I finish my precursor, I’ve got my legendary. And then I’ll likely choose a new legendary weapon to work towards. And it won’t depreciate in value to me because I didn’t make it for everyone to ooo and aaaah over and tell me how special I am because I have a legendary.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

A few things wrong with your post.

1. Depreciation only occurs when things lose quality over time. Like the new car you bought in 2010 not being worth the same amount it was when you go to sell it 6 years later because it’s got wear and tear. Some things actually appreciate in price (go up) over time if they are maintained: art is a good example. Legendary weapons do not lose quality over time. They don’t suddenly become exotic or masterwork rarity just because they’re 2 years old. Therefore any price drop you think they should have would not be due to depreciation.

2. You’re assuming that ANet wants the older legendaries to be forgotten. Maybe they wanted to add options to the table for skins with legendary effects. So that if a player wants a legendary and wants to show it off, they have a choice on which skin they want. And considering one way to get them is to take out your credit card, buy gems, convert to gold, to buy the legendary off of the Trading Post, I wouldn’t put it past ANet to not want the old ones to be forgotten. You shouldn’t also. Because that helps you get more gems for your gold.

3. They were dirt cheap in the beginning because players didn’t have the gold to list them on the TP for the prices they list for today. And they knew other players didn’t have the gold to buy them.

4. You’re assuming that players obtain legendary weapons for the prestige. I’m working on crafting mine because I need a long term goal to work toward. Once I finish my precursor, I’ve got my legendary. And then I’ll likely choose a new legendary weapon to work towards. And it won’t depreciate in value to me because I didn’t make it for everyone to ooo and aaaah over and tell me how special I am because I have a legendary.

Or

For Anet to leave them be and let the market to decide where they fall
They revamped a number of base game recipes for instance cloth was more expensive than leather and ore because it was used for more than making just cloth clothing unlike the other two. Anet stepped in and changed things around to give them more value.

It’s not a hard concept you create something and you leave it be the natural flow of the market should determine the price. Legendaries wouldn’t be half as expensive as they are now if Anet would leave them be even precursor crafting was set to the bloated market price. Then certain precursors who were more expensive to craft actually went up in price since peopel didn’t want to take a cut. Furthermore items shouldn’t be up on the market indefinitely either as it has a clogging effect on proper trade. Prices are easier to go up than they are to decline since auctions are eternal and never end.

Anet has tinkered with and destroyed this games economy for years now all in the name of keeping ascended and legendary items high in the market and not at their true prices.

None of the things you listed have anything to do with depreciation even wear and tear is due to wear and tear. Any item will depreciate even if you bought it mint in the box or used after its production date. As for the prices going up that’s would be more akin to year 1 halloween skins that are unobtainable and out of print

Seera.5916

Or

For Anet to leave them be and let the market to decide where they fall
They revamped a number of base game recipes for instance cloth was more expensive than leather and ore because it was used for more than making just cloth clothing unlike the other two. Anet stepped in and changed things around to give them more value.

It’s not a hard concept you create something and you leave it be the natural flow of the market should determine the price. Legendaries wouldn’t be half as expensive as they are now if Anet would leave them be even precursor crafting was set to the bloated market price. Then certain precursors who were more expensive to craft actually went up in price since peopel didn’t want to take a cut. Furthermore items shouldn’t be up on the market indefinitely either as it has a clogging effect on proper trade. Prices are easier to go up than they are to decline since auctions are eternal and never end.

Anet has tinkered with and destroyed this games economy for years now all in the name of keeping ascended and legendary items high in the market and not at their true prices.

None of the things you listed have anything to do with depreciation even wear and tear is due to wear and tear. Any item will depreciate even if you bought it mint in the box or used after its production date. As for the prices going up that’s would be more akin to year 1 halloween skins that are unobtainable and out of print

You’re confusion depreciation with lower demand.

Depreciation is the decrease in value of a purchased item due to usage. It is not the decrease in price due to lower demand for the item. Do not confuse price drops due to decreasing demand with depreciation. They are two very different things. Depreciation is the decrease in price of one unique item. Not a set of items. It is not affected by how popular or unpopular an item is or what it’s demand is. Truly prestigious items in RL depreciate. Cars depreciate the moment they leave the car lot after purchase.

According to dictionary.com, depreciation is: decrease in value due to wear and tear, decay, decline in price, etc. According to dictionary.com, the British define it as “the reducation in value of a fixed asset due to use, obsolescence, etc.”

Value refers to the specific item owned by a specific person. Not to the overall value of the items in the market. Someone buying a car doesn’t mean everyone else gets to buy it cheaper due to depreciation (remember, cars depreciate the moment they’ve left the lot after being sold). So while a drop in price due to lower demand can affect a car’s value, it wouldn’t affect the others of it being sold.

You’re saying that the demand for legendaries has gone down and therefore ANet’s artificially keeping those prices high. Can you show proof that the demand has gone down?

ANet sets the supply. We the players determine demand and how much we’re willing to buy and sell for. Don’t like an item’s price? Don’t buy or sell at that price. Sell or buy at the price you think it’s worth. If the price was truly too high for players, the items wouldn’t sell. That’s how luxury items work. I can forego buying a legendary or the items for the legendary because I won’t be guaranteed to fail the game in any way if I don’t get one. It’s not a necessity, there isn’t a price that’s too high for the equilibrium price. You may not think that they are worth that price, but that doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with the economy.

It’s like designer jeans. I can’t begin to think what makes a pair of jeans worth $100. They don’t clean themselves or fold themselves and put themselves away. The $25 pair works just as well and will last the same amount of time. Yet, there are people out there who buy the $100 jeans. It doesn’t mean that clothing stores break their economies because the designer jeans are way more expensive than the generic jeans. Designer jeans = legendary weapons; generic jeans = ascended weapons.

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

So, you want me to have to create a new character every time I start crafting a legendary? Or at least I have to level a new crafting profession?

I maxed out my crafting professions ages ago, and some of them took dozens of gold. I don’t think your complaint about them being too expensive is balanced out by making people spend more gold to level the same crafting disciples again.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think the “legendary journey” is imbalanced in the way the OP thinks. Worse, if those suggestions were implemented, I wouldn’t bother — that journey sounds legendarily tedious, not legendary.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”