[Suggestion] Reduce max level from 80 to 20.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t see the point of this. Here is the effect it will have:

1. Take months of development time
2. Deprive us of new content
3. Break pretty much every PvE system in the game
4. Introduce 100’s if not 1000’s of bugs
5. Change nothing meaningful about the game

So i’m gunna have to go ahead and say… kitten no.

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

you have alot of time to think about stupid things,

Posted by: nolasthitnotomorrow.8563

nolasthitnotomorrow.8563

No.

Please refrain from one word responses as this is a discussion and these kind of replies add nothing to it.

I don’t think I could care less wether it is level 80, 800 or 8… Might be 20 as well. Doesn’t matter, these are just adjusted numbers, they might as well adjustu it all to two levels… Kappa

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’ve been thinking for a long time that the game could have launched with fewer levels. Although I’d have put the cap around level 30 or 40.

It could work in a similar way to GW1 where trait points are earned along with skill points right from the first few levels. Or it could be one then the other. But there’s no need to have so many levels for the stuff we do unlock.

But I don’t think it would be possible to reduce it now. It would require too many changes. Not just the levelling system but the level requirements and balance for most of the maps, the equipment tiers, crafting…it would have a huge impact on the economy too with mid-level (or, less likely, high level) equipment being removed along with the materials used to make it.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Photonman.6241

Photonman.6241

GW2 is not GW1.

You want only 20 levels, play GW1 instead. For my experiences in this game, good and bad taken into account, I think I’d rather have GW1 but with GW2’s graphics.

I think a lot of us want that

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

the thing youre suggesting is the same as finnish politics: hey we are to ears in debt and we are going to help greece (some country that’s completely unrelated to our country) out by throwing a bag of millions euros, and we will be remembered trough history as worst economy ever!

hey wait. it’s true, i’m not even being racist here – i’ve lived most of my life in finland too. trust me.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Against 20, definitely.

…because I likely only round numbers and demand 10 or 100!

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I don’t even understand why it’s suddenly more like guild wars 1 if just the level cap changed. The game is still a whole lot different from guild wars 1.

The point of levels is that it is not a sandbox game, it’s a role playing game. Your character has a story and progresses through a story. Thus no race change, no gender change etc. Even GW1 had “level gates” of sorts where you couldn’t progress to a certain area before you had done the story. In a sense this game is no different except that you don’t have to do the story.

The only argument from comparing GW1 with GW2 is that the GW1 rocked because you could skip certain content by running through zones (Which doesn’t mean the game was so much better but that it was pretty easy to skip ahead even though that skipped basically 80% of the game. Which in a way is no different than a levelling scroll.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Against 20, definitely.

Technically, 20’s a round number. =P
#Level80Forever

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Way too late to do something like that. It would have had to be done before the game came out.
Anyway, just keep it at level 80 with no more level additions. Let’s work more on the horizontal progression rather than worry about the levels.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Against 20, definitely.

Oh, a butterfly!

;)

Attachments:

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Against 20, definitely.

Oh, a butterfly!

;)

/golfclap
Bravo. I love XKCD.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I have often thought the same after the trait changes and then the NPE.

They really made so much levels now obsolet and totally unrewarding because there
is nothing you get to see a little progress, that they could really remove all those levels
and in the end we would have something around 20.

However if they just remove them, then maybe every level would take 4 times as
long as before and so there is even less feeling of progression.

Especially getting more stats now in batches only every x level was really the most
stupid thing in my oinion .. after the trait thing.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

It would definitely take some work, but I don’t believe it would be as huge of an overhaul as you think.

It would, actually. Leveling system is a core mechanic, touching that means you’ll have to make sure everything else that’s associated with it doesn’t break (which it will, something always breaks, it’s the law of programming). That’s pretty much everything except the Wardrobe and PvP.

It’s not quite reinventing the entire game, but you might as well be asking for it.