[Suggestion] Remove level restriction on ecto

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: process execution.8014

process execution.8014

I’m interested in hearing peoples’ opinions on removing the level restriction on items that salvage into Globs of Ectoplasm. Currently, only level 68+ items salvage into ecto. What purpose does this serve?

It devalues dungeon tokens earned from AC, CM, TA and SE and severely reduces that feeling of excitement when finding a rare drop while levelling. It’s already fairly common practice to delay opening champion bags until hitting max-level (or have your main do it if on an alt). The existence of player workarounds like this are, to me at least, a pretty clear indicator of a problem in the design of a game system.

There might have been a time when this level restriction made sense but it’s no longer relevant. With the introduction of new levelling items in the Feature Patch, this is only going to get worse. Imagine getting an exotic drop on your level 35 alt and thinking, “Oh yeah! Oh wait hang on it’s only worth 18s…”

why waste hours doing something that you get nothing for? Enjoyment? I’d rather run fractals.

Posted by: gobax.6185

gobax.6185

LOL.

Ectoplasms should never be available to everyone it will destroy the economy. Stop looking for an easy way out and farm it like the rest of us. Funny suggestion btw made me lol irl

process execution.8014

Destroy the economy how exactly? Because of all those players running around farming champ bags on their alts?

Oh wait hang on there aren’t any…

why waste hours doing something that you get nothing for? Enjoyment? I’d rather run fractals.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

If we could extract ecto out of low level gear their price would drop to about 1 silver, making your idea pointless.

process execution.8014

If we could extract ecto out of low level gear their price would drop to about 1 silver, making your idea pointless.

Again, why do you think this would happen? Of the number of rare drops in-game, I doubt more than a tiny fraction are low-level. The increased supply of ecto from this change would have a negligible effect on the economy, but would have a huge impact on my feels while levelling alts.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I’m interested in hearing peoples’ opinions on removing the level restriction on items that salvage into Globs of Ectoplasm. Currently, only level 68+ items salvage into ecto. What purpose does this serve?

It devalues dungeon tokens earned from AC, CM, TA and SE and severely reduces that feeling of excitement when finding a rare drop while levelling. It’s already fairly common practice to delay opening champion bags until hitting max-level (or have your main do it if on an alt). The existence of player workarounds like this are, to me at least, a pretty clear indicator of a problem in the design of a game system.

There might have been a time when this level restriction made sense but it’s no longer relevant. With the introduction of new levelling items in the Feature Patch, this is only going to get worse. Imagine getting an exotic drop on your level 35 alt and thinking, “Oh yeah! Oh wait hang on it’s only worth 18s…”

Exotics only go as low as 62. Also, everything that uses ectos are high level.

Posted by: gobax.6185

gobax.6185

Looks like you do not know basic economy.

Currently ectos sell for 40silver and is one of the most traded items. Meaning it is a good gold sink. The listing fee of those selling it somehow holds the value of gold in game. Ofcourse not only ectos but others as well. Im just saying it is one of the items that contributes the most.

If ectos becomes available to everyone like the absurd idea you are proposing, its value will dive since the supply will increase and since low level players do not need ectos the supply will tremendously increase while the demand remains the same.

If it goes super cheap, the listing fee will be cheaper and thus the gold reserves of players will increase too and it might devalue the maim currency of the game.

process execution.8014

Looks like you do not know basic economy.

Incorrect.

Currently ectos sell for 40silver and is one of the most traded items. Meaning it is a good gold sink. The listing fee of those selling it somehow holds the value of gold in game. Ofcourse not only ectos but others as well. Im just saying it is one of the items that contributes the most.

Correct.

If ectos becomes available to everyone like the absurd idea you are proposing, its value will dive since the supply will increase and since low level players do not need ectos the supply will tremendously increase while the demand remains the same.

Incorrect. As I said earlier, the increase in supply will be marginal. What proportion of rares did you find while levelling, relative to the number you’ve found since hitting 80? From my experience with my own characters, I’d estimate maybe 0.1% and I don’t even farm. Not exactly “tremendous”.

Besides, you’re asserting that low-level characters will never have a need for ecto, which is also incorrect. What do you think happens when they hit 80? Any ecto they acquired while levelling (assuming they hoarded it) would be gone within an hour.

I’m not saying that supply won’t increase at all, of course it will. It will just be negligible.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I don’t see this destabilizing the ecto market (I’m not sure where that Chicken Little notion is coming from).

However, it might confuse newbies. Ectos are used for high-level items, so it makes sense that they come from high level rares. If they start dropping from low-level items, newbies will end up with an item that they don’t understand and can’t use.

With that in mind, I suggest something a little bit different, in the spirit of making low-level rares useful, even when salvaged: Give them an ecto-like chance of dropping a rare mat (one of the ones used in crafting the special rare gear, such as a Large Skull).

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I second what Labjax said.

Ectos are kind of silly to have from low level gear where they’ll largely be useless. They should make salvaging rares give rare resources. Better yet, maybe resources for special dungeon-crafted gear? That could breath new life into that section of the game (Though I doubt ANet cares for dungeons enough to even touch that matter with a 10,000 foot pole).

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

So if we could salvage Ectos from exotics and rares of any level, shouldn’t we also be able to salvage T6 mats from all equipment, regardless of quality and level requirement?

Arguing that Ectos should be salvageable from all rares because they have a high market value isn’t a very clear cut argument. Surely low level armors wouldn’t be so “devalued” if they could salvage into T6 mats.

To me, the hyperbole that this leads to is all monsters being able to drop all items, regardless of level of character, monster or gear.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Have y’all forgotten that drops aren’t the only way to get rares? Rares at level 35 and on up can be crafted by all the professions. (Here is the lowest level for armorsmith. This is the helm, the whole suit can be crafted also: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gladiator_Helm)

If ectos could be salvaged from level 35 and up crafted gear, that would most definitely affect the market.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Armorsmith
Rank Rating Gear Level Variations of Armor Name
Novice 0 – 74 5 – 20 8 Fine, 6 Masterwork Chain
Initiate 75 – 149 25 – 35 8 Fine, 7 Masterwork, 7 Rare Scale, Gladiator
Apprentice 150 – 224 40 – 50 7 Fine, 8 Masterwork, 7 Rare Splint, Gladiator
Journeyman 225 – 299 55 – 65 7 Fine, 7 Masterwork, 8 RareReinforced Scale, Gladiator
Adept 300 – 399 70 – 80 9 Fine, 9 Masterwork, 10 Rare Barbaric, Gladiator
Master 400 – 499 80 20 Exotic Draconic
Grandmaster 500 80 19 Ascended Illustrious

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I don’t see this destabilizing the ecto market (I’m not sure where that Chicken Little notion is coming from).

However, it might confuse newbies. Ectos are used for high-level items, so it makes sense that they come from high level rares. If they start dropping from low-level items, newbies will end up with an item that they don’t understand and can’t use.

I know Anet’s recently been on a “this game is so terribly confusing for the poor little newbies” spree, but I don’t see how a crafting mat is particularly difficult to understand. They get plenty of other crafting mats, most of which they personally (on their 1 toon with maybe 2 crafting professions unlocked, if that, and probably not at a high enough level to make for their own gear level) can’t use.

More significant, as Astral says, is that you could craft lower level rares just to salvage for ectos. That would definitely affect the market, probably by pushing ecto prices down and lower level crafting mats up. I dont care about the ecto price, but levelling crafting is expensive enough as it is.

process execution.8014

So if we could salvage Ectos from exotics and rares of any level, shouldn’t we also be able to salvage T6 mats from all equipment, regardless of quality and level requirement?

I get that you’re using hyperbole but I don’t agree with the point you’re trying to make. Ectos are already a generic “goop of power” that is common to all rares, regardless of item type. The level 68+ restriction just seems somewhat arbitrary to me.

• If I salvage a level 70 masterwork dagger, I get mithril ore and luck.
  • If I salvage a level 30 masterwork dagger, I get iron ore and luck.
  • If I salvage a level 70 rare dagger, I get mithril ore and ecto.
  • If I salvage a level 30 rare dagger, I get iron ore and …nothing.

Allowing low-level rares to salvage into ecto makes the system more consistent, not less.

(edited by process execution.8014)

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

@ OP, the dungeon vendors do give out Exotic (L80) items so there should be no ‘loss of value’ for the lower level tokens. Note that for armor, you may need to browse on another tab to see Exotics.

Astral also has a very valid point – as it stands now, you can craft many L70+ rares now (with no ectos) and potentially salvage them for ectos. I also get plenty of ectos salvaging the rares I get from guild missions and the occasional boss, to the point that I’ve been salvaging them for luck/MF.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I think it would at the very least be beneficial to the economy and to the players returning and new to be able to extract ectos from level 60 items and above. they could lower it that far without drastic problems.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Galen.9042

Galen.9042

Astral also has a very valid point – as it stands now, you can craft many L70+ rares now (with no ectos) and potentially salvage them for ectos.

It’s worth pointing out that those rares you can craft without ectos require 15 T5 crafting mats each. Those go for around 3 silver on the current market, making them cost around 45 silver just in mats. The rate for ectos dropping from salvaging rares is around 0.875 for Master kits and 1.25 for Black Lion kits, making the economic tradeoff slightly worse than just buying the ecto in the first place (given that BLKs either cost gems or are a rare daily reward, and thus can’t be relied upon to be always available).

On the topic, it would decrease the price of ectos in the market because there’d be more potential items producing them. That’s going to raise supply. I can see where the OP is coming from, but this change would have pretty major effects on the economy, since ectos are one of the most heavily traded items in the game.

Labjax.2465

Have y’all forgotten that drops aren’t the only way to get rares? Rares at level 35 and on up can be crafted by all the professions. (Here is the lowest level for armorsmith. This is the helm, the whole suit can be crafted also: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gladiator_Helm)

If ectos could be salvaged from level 35 and up crafted gear, that would most definitely affect the market.

Journeyman 225 – 299 55 – 65 7 Fine, 7 Masterwork, 8 RareReinforced Scale, Gladiator

Fair point. For the sake of argument, aren’t they kind of pricey to make though? I mean, they usually sell for around 60s-1g+ a piece. I know the price to make them isn’t quite that much, but it’s still not dirt cheap.

If we’re being realistic about how this would affect the economy, we also have to take into account the price of mats for crafting these average yellow items going up as a result of the increased demand from people trying to craft them for ectos… which would probably stabilize quickly to a point where you’re paying more to make the item than you would get from selling 1 ecto.

So although (in theory) it could flood the market with a ton of ectos, the benefit from obtaining them through crafting wouldn’t necessarily be as good as it sounds.

Or words to that effect.

process execution.8014

Thanks Astral, I did overlook that. But crafting for ecto is already possible using T5 mats. Therefore the persistent market impact of allowing ectos to salvage from lower level rare gear would be an increase in the value of the corresponding tier of rare crafting mats.

I don’t see this as a problem. Rare crafting recipes aren’t used for levelling up crafting disciplines so this wouldn’t negatively affect the levelling experience. In fact it would make low-level loot even more worthwhile, because now you have valuable rare gear and valuable rare mat drops. And isn’t that what rare loot is all about? ;-)

(edited by process execution.8014)

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I can’t believe this conversation is taking place. This is somehow more absurd than the open world dungeons, and people are agreeing with it.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Fair point. For the sake of argument, aren’t they kind of pricey to make though? I mean, they usually sell for around 60s-1g+ a piece. I know the price to make them isn’t quite that much, but it’s still not dirt cheap.

If we’re being realistic about how this would affect the economy, we also have to take into account the price of mats for crafting these average yellow items going up as a result of the increased demand from people trying to craft them for ectos… which would probably stabilize quickly to a point where you’re paying more to make the item than you would get from selling 1 ecto.

So although (in theory) it could flood the market with a ton of ectos, the benefit from obtaining them through crafting wouldn’t necessarily be as good as it sounds.

True, they can be a bit pricy to craft. The lowest level (35) helm requires iron (easily farmable), wool and T2 mats. The wool would probably have to be bought, but the iron and T2 mats could easily by farmed for those who want to craft to get ectos.

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Astral also has a very valid point – as it stands now, you can craft many L70+ rares now (with no ectos) and potentially salvage them for ectos.

It’s worth pointing out that those rares you can craft without ectos require 15 T5 crafting mats each. Those go for around 3 silver on the current market, making them cost around 45 silver just in mats. The rate for ectos dropping from salvaging rares is around 0.875 for Master kits and 1.25 for Black Lion kits, making the economic tradeoff slightly worse than just buying the ecto in the first place (given that BLKs either cost gems or are a rare daily reward, and thus can’t be relied upon to be always available).

On the topic, it would decrease the price of ectos in the market because there’d be more potential items producing them. That’s going to raise supply. I can see where the OP is coming from, but this change would have pretty major effects on the economy, since ectos are one of the most heavily traded items in the game.

Point taken. I’ve not done much heavy crafting lately, and when I was the cost on T5 was a lot less (this was before Ascended weapons came out). T5’s now have a ‘sink’ of sorts, since the primary end product is account-bound.

I’m personally on the fence about increasing the ecto drop/creation rate. As I’ve mentioned, I normally get enough for my needs in casual activity already, and their cost (overall) has been pretty steady the past few months.

I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Again, why do you think this would happen? Of the number of rare drops in-game, I doubt more than a tiny fraction are low-level. The increased supply of ecto from this change would have a negligible effect on the economy, but would have a huge impact on my feels while levelling alts.

OK so Ill just go craft a couple of hundred low level rare items every hour to get me some ecto’s.. .. you seem to think ecto’s only drop from rare stuff you find along your stroll through the maps… I can sit and craft/salvage low level ecto’s to my hearts content. safe in the knowledge I could sell the ecto’s for more than the item was worth and still build up a supply of mats to remake more items… silly idea imo

Go put some work in like the rest of us have to, is all I am saying, instead of looking for an easywin.

Bloodstealer.5978

True, they can be a bit pricy to craft. The lowest level (35) helm requires iron (easily farmable), wool and T2 mats. The wool would probably have to be bought, but the iron and T2 mats could easily by farmed for those who want to craft to get ectos.

Sorry Astral, hadn’t read all the way down at the point I put my reply in..

just to add.. wool is pretty easy to farm across various maps while grabbing iron.

Only lower level mats that I tend to be slower at accumulating is Cotton and Linen (like everyone).. though tbh I don’t put much effort into cotton anyhows.

Labjax.2465

OK so Ill just go craft a couple of hundred low level rare items every hour to get me some ecto’s.. .. you seem to think ecto’s only drop from rare stuff you find along your stroll through the maps… I can sit and craft/salvage low level ecto’s to my hearts content. safe in the knowledge I could sell the ecto’s for more than the item was worth and still build up a supply of mats to remake more items… silly idea imo

Go put some work in like the rest of us have to, is all I am saying, instead of looking for an easywin.

Why would you though, when you could pay less and just buy them?

You can already craft rares that are level 65 or level 80. People just don’t do it in mass quantities because the mats are not cheap to come by. The only motivation is for the sole purpose of trying to flood the market with extra ectos.

And it would probably be the same way with this suggested change.

I still kind of disagree with the ecto idea for different reasons, but this notion of it flooding the market – I’m not “buying” it.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: WGuardian.1028

WGuardian.1028

Astral’s comment about cragtinng is more extensive than people here c. For now u can use only t5 mats to get rare for ectos (even if it’s not profitable all the time there r some spikes in price when u can make some money). And to get t5 mats u need to farm them or use MF to promote t4. System (t4->t5->ecto) is in balance even if some ppl dont like it (on average u dont get profit from this). If u can get ectos from low lvl rare gear then it means that system changed and it will be ((t4->t5) or t4) -> ecto. System like this cant be balanced without modification to drop rates or some other changes cause it will be always in movement and price will go up and down for all 3 participants (but there is much more around them cause we r talking about crafting mats). And changes like that will make big impact on economy.

P.S.: Sorry for bad english. And sorry for using binary logic

P.S.S: edited for some clarifacation.

(edited by WGuardian.1028)

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Salvaging crafted rares for ectos is the biggest reason not to introduce this. While there is a valid point that most mid level crafted rare armor and weapons propably have a higher crafting cost than ectos itself (havent checked on all of them) it might not hold true for leather armor and especially trinkets because most of the ingots used in jeweling are still cheap compared to other common mats which have a good sink in ascended crafting.
Also rare lvl 60 beaded weapons, which cost about 1500 karma and t4 common mats to craft, would be salvageable into ectos.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Lemuria.3195

Lemuria.3195

I don’t understand the thinking behind this. Ecto’s are basically a high level crafting ingredient, yet in your own words you don’t condone the idea of making T6 materials available in the same way. One rule for one, and a separate rule for another is just foolish nonsense.

The whole point of ectoplasm is that it’s not common enough that you can get it in huge quantities. At least, not without a significant time investment. I could craft a dozen low level rare items for a fraction of the current cost of the ectos I could potentially get from the salvaging.

I’m the sort of person who crafts exotics just to salvage them for Dark Matter, so don’t think that people out there wouldn’t abuse the heck out of this system if it were in place.

Posted by: Spiderbite.8049

Spiderbite.8049

bad idea is bad

“No, I don’t.”

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

I don’t understand the thinking behind this. Ecto’s are basically a high level crafting ingredient, yet in your own words you don’t condone the idea of making T6 materials available in the same way. One rule for one, and a separate rule for another is just foolish nonsense.

The whole point of ectoplasm is that it’s not common enough that you can get it in huge quantities. At least, not without a significant time investment. I could craft a dozen low level rare items for a fraction of the current cost of the ectos I could potentially get from the salvaging.

I’m the sort of person who crafts exotics just to salvage them for Dark Matter, so don’t think that people out there wouldn’t abuse the heck out of this system if it were in place.

following this logic
mean linen wool etc are not high tier so they shouldnt be part of ascended armours?!

i think crafting yellows and recycling them to get ectos could flood the market

but what if anet would only make the drops give ectos?
they dont drop in tons
until youre 80 u usually only see about what? 3?
if youre only doing fotm ull see a bit more.. like 8?
within hours where a level 80 would get two exotics and the same amount of yellows out of? xDD
sure that would completely ruin the market (sarkasm)

by giving twinks toons…(put in your favourite word for non 80 chras)
some ectos
raising new characters wouldnt be sooo less productive
itl almost double the money you get from playing a new chra to level 80
sure still waaaay less than a level 80 farmer can do…
but it would lead to more people buying character slots =>
-more players spread all over the place
-cash for anet
-account bound magic find usefull on toons >__<

and i dont think the argument u should only get crafting high level things in high level areas…mhmhmh NO!
you do already get cooking ingredients in early zones that you can use once (if you are lucky) and then at about 350 crafting with a requirement for 60+ chras…
so…

overall i think allowing the dropped yellows to drop ectos is a good idea
btw i often prefer getting greens on my toons ebcause this way i get iron + luck
yellows usually.. just iron >_<)
it feels terrible if greens give you more to salvage than yellows
considering rares should be better…

but thats for another topic..^^

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

The influx of ectos (with this idea) would not come from drops, but from the huge surplus of dungeon tokens sitting in peoples wallets. 30ish Dungeon tokens for one yellow when people are already sitting on thousands of tokens?

On a random note, there is an old post by John Smith (that I am not willing to look for at the moment), that has the rate of which ectos move, which if I remember correctly its over 50k in 3ish hours.

Teh Ouchies

Bloodstealer.5978

Why would you though, when you could pay less and just buy them?

You can already craft rares that are level 65 or level 80. People just don’t do it in mass quantities because the mats are not cheap to come by. The only motivation is for the sole purpose of trying to flood the market with extra ectos.

And it would probably be the same way with this suggested change.

I still kind of disagree with the ecto idea for different reasons, but this notion of it flooding the market – I’m not “buying” it.

You miss the point.. I wasn’t saying the TP would be flooded with Ecto…
If I can just craft low level rare then I wont be needing to buy any ecto’s anymore.. its a lot cheaper buying low level mats or farming them in quantity then making the rares for salvage… plus when I salvage I will naturally replace some of those mats I have used.. therefore ecto demand will drop.. sure at some point the TP might begin to see an influx when players have gotten all they need and begin to off load for profits but that is the same with anything – fact is it is still cheaper to simply farm a load of iron etc make a rare, salvage and sell the ectos for more than the crafted item cost… whether the demand will be high enough though is another story but as the items will become so cheap to make the Ecto price could be cut in half and there would be profit to be made.
The low level rares you see on the TP currently are hugely over priced for the amount of time they are actually useful to the player but if we can now craft rares for ecto’s at even lower levels.. why spend on higher level rares anymore… the economy would fall foul by a slow up in demand for the higher level rares as players will just craft their own low levels cheaply and salvage.. so its could create a double whammy on demand imo.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Problematically at the moment low level rares don’t even salvage into luck. That makes their break value inferior to masterworks, which has never sat well with me.

Making lower level equips smash into ecto or perhaps even crystalline dust instead at a low rate might allow for us to have some reasonable choice other than ‘list on TP and hope someone buys it’. Or even a higher luck drop rate than a masterwork. Their drop rate appears to be similar (I’ve done a lot of world-complete levelling cycles) to that of higher level rares, so since the amount of time people spend in the mid levels is not very long, it’s unlikely to affect the ecto market drastically. The volume of rares generated by world boss zerg trains far surpasses the volume people generate from the levelling process, even if it were to dock the value of ecto, it’d barely reduce it by 1 silver. If crystal dust were dropped instead, its maximum price-effect would be closer to reducing ecto value by 50 copper (and crystal dust by 25 copper).

The crafting loop is a good point, but the problem can be entirely avoided by simply preventing crafted rares from salvaging into anything other than materials, as per the current system. They are an entirely separate entity from normal rares in having no rune in their socket, and having an entirely different level bracket where no other dropped rares lie.

The current system where rares smash into less value than masterworks is absurd.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Labjax.2465

If I can just craft low level rare then I wont be needing to buy any ecto’s anymore.. its a lot cheaper buying low level mats or farming them in quantity then making the rares for salvage… plus when I salvage I will naturally replace some of those mats I have used.. therefore ecto demand will drop.. sure at some point the TP might begin to see an influx when players have gotten all they need and begin to off load for profits but that is the same with anything – fact is it is still cheaper to simply farm a load of iron etc make a rare, salvage and sell the ectos for more than the crafted item cost… whether the demand will be high enough though is another story but as the items will become so cheap to make the Ecto price could be cut in half and there would be profit to be made.
The low level rares you see on the TP currently are hugely over priced for the amount of time they are actually useful to the player but if we can now craft rares for ecto’s at even lower levels.. why spend on higher level rares anymore… the economy would fall foul by a slow up in demand for the higher level rares as players will just craft their own low levels cheaply and salvage.. so its could create a double whammy on demand imo.

Bolded part is debatable though, and as I said before, due to lots of people trying to rush to utilize those mats for crafting rares, the price of the mats would likely go up, eventually putting you at a monetary loss to waste your mats (even if you farm them) on crafting for your needed ectos.

Even now, it may be a monetary loss for some rares.

Does that make sense?

Or words to that effect.

process execution.8014

The current system where rares smash into less value than masterworks is absurd.

This is the root of the problem that prompted me to create this thread; I’m not beholden to ecto as the solution. It just seems like a logical extension to the existing salvaging system. As I mentioned earlier:

The level 68+ restriction just seems somewhat arbitrary to me.

To the people concerned about the ease of crafting low-level rares: yes, they are currently cheaper than the ecto price and there would be some money to be made for market speculators. But that’s no different to any market shift. Eventually the market would stabilise, with the most likely outcome being that the lower tiers of crafting mats increase in value to match those of higher tiers. And given the huge volume of the ecto market, this stabilisation would happen quite quickly.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

The level restriction is not arbitrary – ectos are used to make Exotic and Rare items. Just because you use them, doesn’t mean you will get them back.

Tossing out the Ecto lvl would totally throw the whole game economy into a tail spin. This is what happened in GW1. No – I don’t want that.

Posted by: Trixie.7614

Trixie.7614

No. Why? Because the price will drop a lot. Low level people may not be farming rares a lot, but you’re forgetting we already have a supply of rares on the trading post farmed for 2 years now. People will just buy all the cheap low level rares and sell the ectoplasms to all the buy orders. Is this what you want?

Glorious Human Master Race

Bloodstealer.5978

Bolded part is debatable though, and as I said before, due to lots of people trying to rush to utilize those mats for crafting rares, the price of the mats would likely go up, eventually putting you at a monetary loss to waste your mats (even if you farm them) on crafting for your needed ectos.

Even now, it may be a monetary loss for some rares.

Does that make sense?

Of course what your saying makes sense.. what I am getting at is.. you don’t have to buy those low level mats, they are easily obtainable.
In30 mins I can run around to at least 10-15 rich / iron / platinum nodes, log a whole forest of soft, seasoned and hard wood and collect all the mats from splash kills I need before I even consider running events, dungeons, buying from TP etc…and that’s just one ALT..
Now repeat on however many ALTS you have and within a few days you will have a stockpile of mats enough to make a shed load of low level rares for salvage/sale… and when salvaging I will get a % back which added to a regular short timescale farm.. just makes having low level ecto’s a silly idea… if you wanna buy those mats, I will gladly part with some I enjoy undercutting all those overpriced items on the TP

I think to be honest there is truth in both sides of our discussion anyhows.. its all down to player choice/habits.

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

This is the root of the problem that prompted me to create this thread; I’m not beholden to ecto as the solution. It just seems like a logical extension to the existing salvaging system. As I mentioned earlier:

The level 68+ restriction just seems somewhat arbitrary to me.

To the people concerned about the ease of crafting low-level rares: yes, they are currently cheaper than the ecto price and there would be some money to be made for market speculators. But that’s no different to any market shift. Eventually the market would stabilise, with the most likely outcome being that the lower tiers of crafting mats increase in value to match those of higher tiers. And given the huge volume of the ecto market, this stabilisation would happen quite quickly.

OK, I can get behind the core problem, but I’m still on the fence about ectos being the solution.

Adding Luck to the non-ecto Rares (at the same rate as Masterworks) would be a reasonable trade-off to me. It adds a personal value that not everyone would pursue, and is also an increased sink for those items (as one of the end materials are account-bound). Most of those items also salvage into middle-tier materials, that are used in Ascended; Placing the supply pressure there is less disruptive than doing that to Ectos.

Crafting your way into Luck will likely become just as expensive as crafting for Ectos (probably more), so I don’t see that as a deal-breaker either.

(edited by Sungak Alkandenes.1369)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Come to think of it, they could at the very least add Ectos to a vendor that takes Tier 7 material overflow so that people could buy the ectos they needed.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

process execution.8014

Of course what your saying makes sense.. what I am getting at is.. you don’t have to buy those low level mats, they are easily obtainable.
In30 mins I can run around to at least 10-15 rich / iron / platinum nodes, log a whole forest of soft, seasoned and hard wood and collect all the mats from splash kills I need before I even consider running events, dungeons, buying from TP etc…and that’s just one ALT..

I think I’m missing something here. How is that different to collecting T5 mats to craft e.g. Krait Star?