[Suggestion] Remove time-gated crafting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

I’ve been meaning to propose this for a long time, particularly now that I’m about to craft my second celestial armour and to think that I again have to wait days/weeks to be able to convert quartz crystals into a charged crystal is an unnecessary drag.

Anybody feeling the same way? If I have the ingredients now, why should I wait to get my armour? What’s the point?

It’s just stretching the process unnecessarily.

Thus I vote to have this completely removed and be able to craft e.g. celestial the same way as any other = you have the ingredients, you craft now, not in days, weeks, a month.

Attachments:

(edited by Inoki.6048)

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Plus one to this suggestion.

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

And Mess up the reason people play? They have to have some things to keep you busy jeeze. I suppose next you want Legendaries for free without any effort. Or just show up in a raid area and Legendary Armor fills your inventory.

You do realize they do stuff for a reason. They do not think should we do stuff to irritate people, sure why not? An MMO in any form is about keeping people busy. Even if its some things they do not really want to do. It is what interests them to a point, so they tend to do the stuff that they do not like sometimes to obtain the goal they do like.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Some mats have value because of time-gated crafting, allowing the patient to earn some extra coin from the impatient who are willing to pay extra.

This doesn’t explain why quartz-charging is limited — that seems to have been an experiment. I’d rather see charging changed to crafting only (no more searching for a relevant hero challenge), maybe using some of the less in-demand mats (perhaps e.g. watchwork sprockets + silver ore + gold ore).

Then again, I started making sure I have a bunch of charged quartz ready-to-go, so I don’t have to worry about time gating.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Askadia.4395

Askadia.4395

Adding a fixed NPC item to the recipe (like many other recipes require) to keep the prize high is more than enough. There’s no real need to force people make 1 piece per day, because that means that if I can play only on weekends I’m at disadvantage.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Adding a fixed NPC item to the recipe (like many other recipes require) to keep the prize high is more than enough. There’s no real need to force people make 1 piece per day, because that means that if I can play only on weekends I’m at disadvantage.

well if you cant login for a min to do daily crafting during the week then yes you have less daily materials.

But then again if you only can play on weekends you will have a hard time getting all the other materials needed to craft more then once a day anyway…. You could always buy most of the daily finished materials from the trading post.

Posted by: Kecal.3964

Kecal.3964

I agree for Charging Quartz crystals, Celestial was viewed as a powerful stat combo (it’s not tough) and Crystals themselves are fairly difficult to get (home instance and rich+ 2-3 normal nodes in Dry Top) so they won’t really devalue.

As far as ascended matts go, the daily limit is part of the value for them and it should stay as it is.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

And Mess up the reason people play?

^^^This ^^^

The only reason I log in every day (other than the freebie) is to do my time gated crafting plus crystal harvesting in Dry Top. In between LS chapters and events there isn’t anything to do except grind the same old content.

Inb4 flames: not everyone is going to agree with me, i’m just saying I disagree with the OP’s suggestion based on my personal experience.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Ok……
You can not compare this with skin=legendary etc

Yes they should change it, this is stats, not skins, people need the stats to play, it is not an achievement or goal…aka legendary, stop being closed minded

I personally do not use time gated grinding…..But it does not make sense, why would you wait if you got the mats and can almost instantly make 1 copy of xx gear

There is literally no reason other than confusing it with legendaries or other skins that needs a long time to gather for the sole purpuse of showing off…and just so I can copy/paste later……
No stats are not an achievement or a skin, some builds can only work with them and it does not make sense to punish a person just because he/she did not pick a profession that only run zerker or any other cheap gear to be able to join anything

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

buy from other people if you cant wait

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s to ensure various materials have value. You can see how much cheaper it is to make ascended equipment as opposed to just buying it.

I think it wouldn’t hurt to be able to buy Charged Quartz Crystals directly though, but this might be because I have some that I can’t do anything with.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ok……

Yes they should change it, this is stats, not skins, people need the stats to play, it is not an achievement or goal…aka legendary, stop being closed minded

I personally do not use time gated grinding…..But it does not make sense, why would you wait if you got the mats and can almost instantly make 1 copy of xx gear

There is literally no reason other than confusing it with legendaries or other skins that needs a long time to gather for the sole purpuse of showing off…and just so I can copy/paste later……
No stats are not an achievement or a skin, some builds can only work with them and it does not make sense to punish a person just because he/she did not pick a profession that only run zerker or any other cheap gear to be able to join anything

In theory I have no problem with people being able to charge crystals, but there are other special stat combos that are difficult to obtain, such as certain trinkets that are only gotten in raids, or by doing Living Story chapters, etc. There are some runes that are meta that can only be obtained by achieving a certain mastery level. This is actually one of the less egregious gates for a novel stat combo. I have a character with full ascended celestial stats, and yes, it was time consuming, but it also gave me something to do. I am a crafter, so I support gates because it adds value to crafting – particularly ascended gates. People are willing to sell these materials at the cost of crafting them because they do not value their time and don’t do the math. Which is why many legendary precursors are actually cheaper to buy off the TP than they are to actually do the work to make them.

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

But, that could destabilise the economy!!!

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

Ok……

This one’s a rich post. Wow. Ascended is only 5% better than exotic so really the only thing that makes ascended way more powerful over exotic is the ability to slot infusions in them so you can do high tier fractals, which has nothing to do with stats. So try again. If you need a 5% boost in stats to play the game, maybe go back to hello kitty online. I know wvw’rs who insist they don’t need ascended to beat other players and just wear exotic and thats far more difficult than any of the PvE content.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

Ok……

This one’s a rich post. Wow. Ascended is only 5% better than exotic so really the only thing that makes ascended way more powerful over exotic is the ability to slot infusions in them so you can do high tier fractals, which has nothing to do with stats. So try again. If you need a 5% boost in stats to play the game, maybe go back to hello kitty online. I know wvw’rs who insist they don’t need ascended to beat other players and just wear exotic and thats far more difficult than any of the PvE content.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/31wbip/ascended_vs_exotic_gear_comparison_spreedsheet/

ascended is 12.5% better. Ascended Armour benefits are very noticeable to the point where I would say Ascended Armour is a mistake.

Fremtid.3528

From your link: Ascended armor only increases damage by 1.8% over exotic if you already have ascended back, trinkets and weapon.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

From your link: Ascended armor only increases damage by 1.8% over exotic if you already have ascended back, trinkets and weapon.

so basically majority of the ascended gear…..

Fremtid.3528

The thread was about armor specifically. Also trinkets aren’t crafted with time gated materials so those are out and given the new methods of acquiring them i’d say ascended backpieces are rarely acquired using said time gated materials as well. Your point?

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

so basically majority of the ascended gear…..

But ascended trinkets and even back items are given out for game achievements, or even buying them with laurels, which you get for the hard task of just logging in. The new map has an ascended back item for very little effort, just collecting blood rubies. I could see your point if these were only obtainable through high level crafting, etc, but that is not the case. Also, I’ve had quite a few ascended (some of them armor) boxes drop from doing Edge of the Mists. So it is possible to collect these pieces without crafting them at all.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Time gated mats require players to plan ahead. I know many raiders who are gathering the mats they know, so far, that they will need to start crafting their ascended armor once they are allowed to.

Extend that train of thought to “lesser” grade gear like ascended, celestial or anything that a quick check of the wiki tells you that you need charged quartz … plan ahead?

It’s true that originally the time gate was there when they introduced celestial gear so the rich didn’t just stroll in the new zone and have a full set by tossing money at it. I do believe that experience led them to include a 2nd tradable tier of ascended mats as well as the decision to use zone specific keys and currencies as a participation gate to new zone rewards.

Problem is as soon as they remove one time gate players will demand all the time gates to be gone. Slippery slope.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Inoki.6048

I get the whole idea of planning ahead, but think of those who have limited time to access the game for various reasons and in those cases it can prove very difficult to get a simple armour with celestial stats e.g. for weeks, maybe months, depending how often those folks can log.

Then there are a lot of people who don’t plan ahead because they treat the game like a game – they are busy to plan other things, not keeping excel sheets for mats – not everyone is willing to go there and be “hardcore” and they never will because they don’t want to be. I keep notes for groceries and important stuff, gaming is leisure. I don’t know what will I need in the near future, I don’t know whether I’ll decide to play an Elementalist e.g. and what armour it should be wearing, weapons, trinkets…; will I need another celestial armour in the future, since even meta changes, everything changes.

Do you get the point now? Nobody can tell the future.

In such scenarios ANet are counting on people to buy gems / convert to gold / buy mats / real money involved since they don’t have the time to grind. But even that is pointless in my example.

A gentle reminder, that a game should be fun, not a second job, which is often a problem with MMOs, everyone knows that, but GW2 was promoted from the beginning as a casual MMO, catering to those folks with limited time to game, remember?

Now, I’m not suggesting to add more stuff to the gem store and make the game P2W. I’m simply hinting to the fact, that there are things, simple crafting items that are time-gated and it doesn’t make any sense for them to be.

And the nonsense about “it would ruin the economy”… bull-sized grapes it would…

I don’t think I’ve ever met with this pattern in any other game where you have to wait to craft something just because there’s a timer. Then again I know I haven’t played that many MMOs, so maybe I’m wrong. Usually it was because one needed a specific amount of mats to proceed, which is the natural order of doing things.

It’s like they are giving us a choice – either this, or they put us to gather triple the amount of mats, which would be the same as in any other MMO turning this one into a mundane grind.

My point being, irc the game was supposed to be a unique casual MMO with as few grinding involved as possible, which is why many liked it for from the start. Then there was HoT… and everyone knows the story since then.

To conclude, it would be nice of them to reconsider what does make somewhat sense to be gated, but take into account the stuff (like this), that makes little to no sense.

(edited by Inoki.6048)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

it would be nice of them to reconsider what does make somewhat sense to be gated, but take into account the stuff (like this), that makes little to no sense.

I would like to see them do some sort of annual review of things like this:

• Time gates, whether by crafting or something else.
  • Binding, e.g. soul-, account-, or unbound.
  • Vendor price or lack thereof.
  • ‘Type Name to Delete’ protection
  • Description, especially for items that are only used for Collections.
  • Icons: these seem to get periodic review, except for the well-used Mystic Salvage Kit, which still looks like a Crude Kit.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

it would be nice of them to reconsider what does make somewhat sense to be gated, but take into account the stuff (like this), that makes little to no sense.

I would like to see them do some sort of annual review of things like this:

• Time gates, whether by crafting or something else.
  • Binding, e.g. soul-, account-, or unbound.
  • Vendor price or lack thereof.
  • ‘Type Name to Delete’ protection
  • Description, especially for items that are only used for Collections.
  • Icons: these seem to get periodic review, except for the well-used Mystic Salvage Kit, which still looks like a Crude Kit.

Gods, reserve a week because the shear number of items the game has. It’ll only be manageable IF you are only talking about removing restrictions.

And I agree that the Mystic Salvage Kit icon needs some loving. ANet did tweak the BLTC contract icons so maybe it’ll be on someone’s list. Maybe something as simple as a master kit icon but with a different color or an “aura” around the bag (in the icon, not talking about making the icon glow).

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

+ billion for and on this topic !! i think that is a very good idea and should be done

fully all the way around !! time-gated crafting has done nothing but brought problems

to the game fully !! Remove time-gated crafting would make every thing so much more

FUN and ENJOYABLE for all in the game again !! hope the Drevs here this and take the

lead on this and make it happen A.S.P.!!

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: TheFantasticGuy.7206

TheFantasticGuy.7206

I hate time gates. I hate time gates in this game. I hate all the time gates from the first to the last. Remove them. Now.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Logged in just short of stepping out the door just to support this.

Posted by: aandiarie.7195

aandiarie.7195

TIME gated things are like that for a couple of reasons. One major one is to control the market/economy some. If the market were flooded with some of the time gated things in excess then it could mess with the market some. I think it also keeps people from making too much of a profit.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I don’t mind the timegated nature of ascended crafting mats. I also wouldn’t mind the time gated nature of making charged quartz if they were tradeable on the TP. Its just absurd that we can’t buy them on the TP. Keep the time gate and make charged quartz tradeable, problem solved.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

TIME gated things are like that for a couple of reasons. One major one is to control the market/economy some. If the market were flooded with some of the time gated things in excess then it could mess with the market some. I think it also keeps people from making too much of a profit.

The majority of the stuff that is time gated is ascended gear and items to make ascended gear, nearly all of which is account-bound, so while that may apply in some cases, it can’t be the principal reason.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The weird thing is that despite the timegating regular quartz still seems to be more valuable than the charged quartz.

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Some mats have value because of time-gated crafting, allowing the patient to earn some extra coin from the impatient who are willing to pay extra.

This doesn’t explain why quartz-charging is limited — that seems to have been an experiment. I’d rather see charging changed to crafting only (no more searching for a relevant hero challenge), maybe using some of the less in-demand mats (perhaps e.g. watchwork sprockets + silver ore + gold ore).

Then again, I started making sure I have a bunch of charged quartz ready-to-go, so I don’t have to worry about time gating.

This.

Personally, I think time-gated crafting mats are a good thing, but it’s a decent source of income for me so others may disagree. I do my ecto refinements each day (mithrillium, at the very least) and at some point during the month I go on a node farming run for a few hours to craft them all down and post the fully refined deldrimor or spiritwood on the TP for a tidy profit. As IWN mentioned above, through my patience I profit off the impatience of others.

I do agree that charged quartz is a slightly different story, though I think removing the once-per-day charging restriction would actually increase the cost of quartz crystals on the trading post. Why? Because as it currently stands, average players who are looking for charged quartz or celestial stuff probably only buy about 25 quartz crystals per day on average. If you remove the once-per-day charging restriction, suddenly all those players who have desired celestial gear may decide to mass purchase quartz and charge it all up in one session, and with the limited availability of quartz nodes in the game, supply would run out pretty quickly.

Limiting players to one charged quartz per day means limiting (most) players to buying 25 regular quartz per day. Larger quantities are certainly purchased, of course, but their usage can likely be averaged out to approximately 25 per day over a given period due to the time-gated nature of celestial gear.

The quartz thing is all speculation, of course. It might spike for a few days and normalize to a lower-than-typical price, for all I know. Regardless, I will happily continue to farm my other mats and do my daily ecto refinements and turn a profit from the impatience of others.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

the regular quartz increased in price since the utility consumable that gives 10% boon duration became meta in raids. now the price is comparable to the food that does the same thing but has no time gate.
my consumption rate is higher than my purchase rate and the final product can only be crafted since it is account bound, also it last only 30 mins against some food that i use that last 1h.
so far i decided not to bother and get that 10% from other sources.
time gate on ascended crafting was introduced because at the very beginning of this new tier of crafting arenanet didn’t want us to have full set of ascended from day 1. they were meant to be very rare and took effort to get.
they wanted to solve the lack of end content with this new tier and the ever increasing agony resistance that fractals require.
but now that ascended gear is no longer a rarity the time gate is just stupid and should be removed. otherwise the only people to benefit from it are the blessed from the rng god. i have guild members that get an ascended weapon or armor every 5 fractals or so, while others that never get any and have to craft everything by themselves. i run fractals always with the same people and always the same people are getting the ascended drops.

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Inoki.6048

Anyway, bumping this because I want an official statement do they even consider this. It’s not normal to craft EXOTIC, or any armour, for 1 bloody month!!! It’s not even that superb, it’s just bloody celestial for Christ’s Stake!

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Anyway, bumping this because I want an official statement do they even consider this. It’s not normal to craft EXOTIC, or any armour, for 1 bloody month!!! It’s not even that superb, it’s just bloody celestial for Christ’s Stake!

You’re not going to get an official statement. You aren’t going to increase the chances of getting one by bumping threads and yelling about it.

Instead, try to explain why you think ANet should spend their limited resources changing something that (a) doesn’t affect most people & (b) rarely affects anyone more than once.

As I’ve said before, I’d like ANet to review the status of gating and binding on various items regularly (instead of forgetting about them). All the same, I can’t imagine it should be near the top of their priority lists — there are many other issues that have a bigger impact and/or affect far more people.

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

I can agree at least for Charged Crystals. The time gate there dates to a period in game when quartz crystals were far more plentiful. Currently, they come from one not-so-popular map, on which there are not very many nodes, and a home instance node, and that is it. If anything, the material is naturally gating already due to scarcity of nodes, and putting in the time gate is just punishment for not remembering to charge every day. It serves no practical purpose, as the charged crystals aren’t even that valuable.

As for some of the other materials, you can make an argument either way. My personal feeling is that if you have some many materials gathered that you can make them faster, I don’t see why not (you already put in a lot of time to either gather or afford the base mats). The time gating just seems like a desperate attempt to force you to login more, which I suppose may be the point. That said, removing it on these mats, that actually have value, might kitten with the economy too hard.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

Suggestion: propose a suggestion that doesn’t cheat all the players that actually took the time.

How about the game buys back all those legitimately crafted mats at 1.5 times the going price and then replaces them at one tenth of the current price, because they will be worthless real fast with this change.

Lots of things will become worthless, but then when your new and don’t see how it affects other players…

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

This is about Charged Quartz, right? How does it have value other than to the one who charged it?

(edited by DeanBB.4268)

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

The value is the time taken that could have been spent elsewhere productively.

Fremtid.3528

This is about Charged Quartz, right? How does it have value other than to the one who charged it?

You can turn them into leyline tools and sell them

Fremtid.3528

But i think the person talking about the mats being worthless was talking about the removal of the timegate on other mats as the op posted the picture of the cooldown on a regular timegate