Suggestion: Retreat? Never!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Netzah.6239

Netzah.6239

Honestly, it’s very simple. Change the name of “Retreat” skill of the guardian to something else.
It’s not very heroic to retreat, so I think the name has to be rethink. Additionally, players don’t really use that for retreat. They use it to move from one place to another faster, or when approaching an enemy. Sometimes it is used for retreat, but not as much as the other situations. (Just like any other similar skill)

Now, there are a lot of “charge” skills as can be seen here:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charge
And that’s not very creative. So, if anybody has any good ideas please reply.
If none sound good, I think having “charge” over “retreat” is still better.

I personally recommend:
• Dash
• Onrush
• Firm advance
• Bless of agility

I’ll probably come up with more ideas, but feel free to help to come up with better ideas!

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

I like the idea of renaming the skill to something a bit more… heroic. That said, retreat is a shout, so whatever you rename it to has to fit being yelled aloud. To that end none of the suggested names would really work- except maybe some variant of the third. “Onward!” might, as could “Steady On!” or some similar motivational yell.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sure the main reason they haven’t renamed it is that they’d have to either disable the PC’s voice for that shout or re-record it 40 times (4 supported languages, 5 races, 2 genders).

I prefer to think of it as the player faking out in enemy — a reverse feint. (I know, it’s a stretch, but it’s better than waiting for ANet to come up with the wherewithal to change it).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ykfox.3825

Ykfox.3825

I always imagine it being used by the guardian to tell the enemy to retreat, not so much the guardian calling for his own side to retreat.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

Move along…Move along.
or
Just Passing Through.

They really should rename the skill though. I think the only time it’s on someone’s bar is when they are just running past mobs, and hoping to not fight anything.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

I’m sure the main reason they haven’t renamed it is that they’d have to either disable the PC’s voice for that shout or re-record it 40 times (4 supported languages, 5 races, 2 genders).

I prefer to think of it as the player faking out in enemy — a reverse feint. (I know, it’s a stretch, but it’s better than waiting for ANet to come up with the wherewithal to change it).

True, the voice work for it does complicate things, but at the same time it shouldn’t be overly hard to deal with. Just get the VAs to do that one extra line each the next time they get pulled in for something else and do the switch once A-net has all the new lines recorded.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

It’s less about what it’s used for, and more about how it fits into the theme of the class. Guardians are the frontline “last to leave” fighters. Makes sense for the skill.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

Maybe “Advance!” instead of “Retreat!”

I’m not bothered by it though and it takes VA work to fix

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: Lexander.4579

Lexander.4579

that skill’s name fits just fine with Logan’s lore so i dont see any problem

Alex Shadowdagger – Thief – Blacktide

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

that skill’s name fits just fine with Logan’s lore so i dont see any problem

Hahahahaha! Good one!.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

“Charge!”

No better name for it.

Oh, and get Brian Blessed to voice it for Charr using the same voice he used in Flash Gordon to say, “Diiiiiive!”

(edited by Thelgar.7214)

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

It’s not very heroic to retreat

But the guardian does not yell “RETREAT!” to himself. He shouts it to others, the ones he’s protecting. He’s the guardian, it’s in the name. Is it heroic to give warning and a boost to others so they may escape?

Personally, I have to problem with either “Retreat!” or “Save Yourselves!” (which is another shout people complain about). I do, however, have a problem with Warrior’s shout “For Great Justice!”. It’s the most lame skill name in the entire game. Please keep dumb memes out.

(edited by Ariurotl.3718)