Suggestion: Salvaging Ascended Gear

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

How many people here have a bank filled with ascended rings or ascended weapons/armor with useless stats! Golly gee willikers my frands I know I sure do! And who here thinks it’s thilly that we can’t salvage these useless items! I do! I do! Thus Vee Wee, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80, is proposing a change! We should be able to salvage these high quality items with Black Lion Salvage Kits! That way Arenanet makes money off people buying Black Lion Salvage Kits from the gem store, and the players benefit by getting ascended materials from these items! For example, a piece of ascended light armor can be salvaged into a Bolt of Damask! If you agree, let them know by replying to this thread! And if you disagree, let us know why you think this shouldn’t happen!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

Posted by: BertBoy.9031

BertBoy.9031

couldnt have had a better idea I agree

Bert -Rifle engi till i croak
www.Twitch.tv/gravityily

Posted by: serylin.2894

serylin.2894

I’d be happy if we could forge it for that matter, but either way i agree we need some way to make use of ascended gear.

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

This needs to happen.

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

Hooray for progress

Countless

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

Are you sure you want to salvage this ascended item? Congratulations, you just received 20 piles of bloodstone dust!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Definitely (and no, not for bloodstone dust, perish the thought).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

No. Farm fractals less. Or roll more alts and use them in various builds. Then stop hoarding useless rubbish.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Anything may come, that is better than the 4.95 silver for a ring.

Edit: Any amount of bloodstone dust is worse than 4.95 silver.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Such truth. We need salvage especially for those pesky rings.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

I stopped reading when I realized it wasn’t proper English in use. The problem with salvaging ascended armor is that you could end up with ANY of the materials used in the final refinement, except the final refinement. Which means no damask, no deldrimor, no elonian leather. At best you would receive the spool of thread, mithrillium, or leather cord. Ascended trinkets? HA. Throw them onto a keyrun character and delete them like the useless junk they are.

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Some of these responses are great! Thanks for agreeing! Some of these other responses are just spooky scary! Someone’s solution for too much ascended gear is to not do Fractals! That’s just the kookiest idea I’ve ever heard! And someone else commented on my English skills! My English is the thuperest even though that has nothing to do with salvaging ascended gear you thilly bear you! Stay on topic!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Are you sure you want to salvage this ascended item? Congratulations, you just received 20 piles of bloodstone dust!

DOH!

You SHOULD be able to do something with them besides store or destory (even tho I only have Ascended trinkets and a few weapons at this point).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Yes please. All of it. Even the English in the confirmation dialog.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I find it hilarious that some of the best items in the game end up being some of the most worthless. The fact that a yellow ring is more welcomed than an ascended one is silly.

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Vee Wee and Wee Vee have been around for a while and are awesome people. I think this is a great idea. I hope Mr. Tiggles is still healthy and well.

Not being able to get Damask/etc is also incorrect as, these are the items you use to craft the final ascended product. When you salvage exotics, you can get an inscription, for instance. You DON’T get thread and/or T6 materials in place of the inscription. So this assertion is completely illogical and wouldn’t be congruent with how salvaging ANYTHING else currently works.

Great idea IMO. This needs to happen.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

salvaging, has been asked over and over again. If anet is listening. They either don’t care. or are working on something.

We don’t know because they don’t say what they’re thinking.

But they surely know by now that people want something more to be done with ascended gear. \=

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

No. These items should not be salvaged into tradable ascended materials, or anything that can be used to craft anything tradable too fast, too easily or to cheap. Ascended items are not meant to be profitable.

But it’s true that some become useless over time, even when made account bound, and simply selling them feels unrewarding and a waste of time and effort for things you can’t use.

Because of that, they should be salvaged into things that one cannot trade as easily or use to inexpensively produce tradable items, like mists essences and fractal relics (even a very rare an occasional dark matter, stretching it a bit), and those items be given more uses like a wider variety of back items, ascended accessories and amulets.

You can craft tradable stuff with obsidian and mists essences, but those will require many other materials and costs that won’t make that very profitable, so they’ll be fine.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

They should at least have some perceived value greater than a Rare or Exotic of the same type. People really shouldn’t be going “Dang it, another ascended…”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

No. These items should not be salvaged into tradable ascended materials, or anything that can be used to craft anything tradable too fast, too easily or to cheap. Ascended items are not meant to be profitable.

Are exotic items meant to be profitable? Because currently getting an exotic drop (so, a lower tier gear) is worth many times more than an ascended ring.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Lyssan.3768

Lyssan.3768

Here is an even better idea, make it so that the transmute from after the update works like before the update, where you can actually reuse the runes and sigils when you transmute a piece of gear. Since I don’t have ascended gear yet, IDK if this is an issue, I would probably agree more if I did.

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Then stop hoarding useless rubbish.

That’s why they want to salvage them.

Taygus.4571

They should at least have some perceived value greater than a Rare or Exotic of the same type. People really shouldn’t be going “Dang it, another ascended…”

LOL, this!

I really am ok with them being salvaged into account bound stuff, but some use for them would be really nice.

Posted by: Baine.9650

Baine.9650

“#1 Engi NA” → This is so weird and funny on so many different levels I don’t even.

Yeah why can’t we salvage ascended stuff? IDK, maybe to prevent hackers from lynching older accounts and stripping them?

Taygus.4571

“#1 Engi NA” -> This is so weird and funny on so many different levels I don’t even.

Yeah why can’t we salvage ascended stuff? IDK, maybe to prevent hackers from lynching older accounts and stripping them?

yeah because possible thievery > than no use at all XD

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

I’d be okay with getting the account bound ascended material (like Lumps of Mithrilium) from salvaging ascended items. Getting a bar of Deldrimor Steel or Bolt of Damask though would be too much. When salvaging other items, we only get ore, logs or scraps anyway, so the same idea should follow through with salvaging ascended items.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I can see it now, someone accidentally salvages his/her ascended item and blames A.Net for allowing it to happen. There are reasons that this game has limits like that.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]Are exotic items meant to be profitable? Because currently getting an exotic drop (so, a lower tier gear) is worth many times more than an ascended ring.

Yes, they are. They are meant to be sold or salvaged when not used (or other exotics in the mystic forge if not salvageable), and so profitable as a source of materials and upgrades.

Ascended are the last tier, and a final sink for lots of gold and materials, thus not profitable. That’s also part of why they ended up account bound instead soulbound, and also one of the reasons why legendaries should not have been tradeable.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I wouldn’t mind being able to throw them in the mystic toilet for a increased chance at a precurser, or for another piece of ascended equipment. Or even for some T6 mats, much like obsidian shards.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Not being able to get Damask/etc is also incorrect as, these are the items you use to craft the final ascended product. When you salvage exotics, you can get an inscription, for instance. You DON’T get thread and/or T6 materials in place of the inscription. So this assertion is completely illogical and wouldn’t be congruent with how salvaging ANYTHING else currently works.

When you salvage exotics, you get an inscription if you can not craft it. So… that completely destroys the chance of insignia from Ascended gear. It also causes your analogy, as that’s what it is, to fall apart. And that’s not even touching on the fact that insignias and inscriptions are both barely profitable when crafted now.

When you salvage basic to exotic gear, regardless of what it is, you receive either wood, ore, leather pieces, or fabric scraps. These are refined into planks, ingots, cured leather, and bolts of fabric. These are then used to craft the components of basic to exotic tier gear. Makes sense, correct? Ascended armor adds a second and third refinement step. First, you refine T5 crafting materials into a “raw” T7 material. Second, you refine that raw material with lower tier refined materials into the T7 refined material. Then you use these to craft the components. Simple progression.

Now here’s where it goes kitten up. It’s less straightforward in the reverse if you could salvage Ascended. Why? Because salvaging never rewards the refined material. If it does, it’s occurred so rarely to me to be nonexistent. Damask, deldrimor, elonian leather, and spiritwood are all refined materials. Therefore you cannot receive them from salvaging. At best you would receive the T7 “raw” material. At worst, you have a chance of receiving raw materials barely worth more than 40c a piece.

And this doesnt even touch on trinkets, which you likely would not be able to salvage (currently) even after they introduce the ability to salvage Ascended gear. Since trinkets cannot be crafted (and probably wont ever be crafted unless they rework what laurels are used for), the best you’d be able to get out of them would likely be mithrillium which is already pretty cheap (just over 50s I believe?).

Regarding the rings themselves, I would not object being able to sell them back to Dessa for 1-3 pristine relics. This would make it easier to buy the ascended rings you do want to use and not need to hoard useless ones.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Hello all,

Let’s keep this thread on-topic and respectful, please. Thank you.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Hello all,

I was so excited when I saw a mod replied. Then I saw it was just this

Posted by: Plexxing.2978

Plexxing.2978

Throwing them in the mystic forge sounds ok too. Perhaps we could see a return of rare mystic forge items like the mystic forge conduit, items to make the mystic forge conduit, rare recipes and/or armor/weapon boxes that might not necessarily contain ascended items.

Posted by: yLoon.5289

yLoon.5289

Good concern from the OP, one of the reason i stop playing FoTM last year is because the Red trash is piling up and eating my bank space =/

12K AP
Level 54 Bear Rank

Tman.6349

When you salvage exotics, you get an inscription if you can not craft it. So… that completely destroys the chance of insignia from Ascended gear. It also causes your analogy, as that’s what it is, to fall apart. And that’s not even touching on the fact that insignias and inscriptions are both barely profitable when crafted now.

When you salvage basic to exotic gear, regardless of what it is, you receive either wood, ore, leather pieces, or fabric scraps. These are refined into planks, ingots, cured leather, and bolts of fabric. These are then used to craft the components of basic to exotic tier gear. Makes sense, correct? Ascended armor adds a second and third refinement step. First, you refine T5 crafting materials into a “raw” T7 material. Second, you refine that raw material with lower tier refined materials into the T7 refined material. Then you use these to craft the components. Simple progression.

Now here’s where it goes kitten up. It’s less straightforward in the reverse if you could salvage Ascended. Why? Because salvaging never rewards the refined material. If it does, it’s occurred so rarely to me to be nonexistent. Damask, deldrimor, elonian leather, and spiritwood are all refined materials. Therefore you cannot receive them from salvaging. At best you would receive the T7 “raw” material. At worst, you have a chance of receiving raw materials barely worth more than 40c a piece.

And this doesnt even touch on trinkets, which you likely would not be able to salvage (currently) even after they introduce the ability to salvage Ascended gear. Since trinkets cannot be crafted (and probably wont ever be crafted unless they rework what laurels are used for), the best you’d be able to get out of them would likely be mithrillium which is already pretty cheap (just over 50s I believe?).

Regarding the rings themselves, I would not object being able to sell them back to Dessa for 1-3 pristine relics. This would make it easier to buy the ascended rings you do want to use and not need to hoard useless ones.

Nothing falls apart about my anology. I wasn’t referring to getting inignias/inscriptions from salving exotics or ascended gear. I was merely pointing out that you salvage the FINAL materials used to salvage exotics and NOT the materials used to craft said inscriptions/insignias/etc. Damask/etc would be a possible a salvaged drop on ascended gear based on the CURRENT rules of salvaging. Props to your cherry-picking while remaking indifferent to the main point I was making though.

PS. Based on the ‘up votes’ of my post, I can see that you’re one of the few that didn’t understand the point I was making.

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: Sizer.5632

Sizer.5632

There should be something you can get from them though getting damask (12g) or deld ingots (3-4g) from salvaging a drop seems like a lot. At the very least it should give you ectos and dark matter and maybe a guarenteed chance to get a few ori. Really weird when getting an item from the highest tier is worth about as much as a blue item.

Borolis Pass – [TOVL]
Aeneaaa – 80 engineer
Aeeneaa – 80 Ele

Posted by: Tigerlily.3765

Tigerlily.3765

I would be perfectly happy if ascended items salvaged exactly like exotics; for a chance at dark matter, ecto and orichalcum (or equivalent depending on what you’re salvaging).

Doesn’t even need to be better than exotics, just let me salvage them, especially to recover runes, sigils, infusions, etc.

Tman.6349

There should be something you can get from them though getting damask (12g) or deld ingots (3-4g) from salvaging a drop seems like a lot. At the very least it should give you ectos and dark matter and maybe a guarenteed chance to get a few ori. Really weird when getting an item from the highest tier is worth about as much as a blue item.

You do realize that this ‘a lot’ would GREATLY increase the supply. This would return these materials to a more balanced price, having the effect of crafting Asc. Light Armor feasible for the avg. person. Some might make money in the short-term but prices would eventually equalize to reasonable levels. I don’t think getting 5g for a rare drop from some of the games hardest content is absurd or unwarranted, for that matter. (See: Bonetti’s Rapier from Weeniedale Champ Farm)

(edited by Tman.6349)

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Hello all,

I was so excited when I saw a mod replied. Then I saw it was just this

lol same, just came to read expecting something to getting done after reading another thread on a similar topic (selling ascended mats to vendor).

Posted by: Fayt.3802

Fayt.3802

This is a good idea from Vee Wee, #1 Engi NA, world first rank 80. Some people only play 1 character to do dungeons/fractals/events/etc. So when they get ascended armor with stats they’ll never really use (Shamans, rampagers, clerics, idk the names), they have an alternative solution for it. Vee Wee #1 Engi, world first rank 80 for Gw2 Dev!

Taygus.4571

I would be perfectly happy if ascended items salvaged exactly like exotics; for a chance at dark matter, ecto and orichalcum (or equivalent depending on what you’re salvaging).

Doesn’t even need to be better than exotics, just let me salvage them, especially to recover runes, sigils, infusions, etc.

This, they don’t have to be better than exotics. I’d be happy with this.

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

People have been asking for this when ascended gear first appeared. Still don’t have a method.

Along the same lines, please let us salvage Karma and WvW gear since it is useless now unless your sure, absolutely sure, that you will never want the runes or sigils from that gear ever again.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

Posted by: aop.6052

aop.6052

I don’t feel like creating a new thread but I’d like to remind ArenaNet about the issue of most Ascended items being total trash you can’t even salvage. Getting an Ascended ring from a fractal is a like a slap in the face these days.

Random Ascended drops are useless because most stat combinations are bad. I even got a Ascended weapon chest with completely useless stat combination.

I don’t see a problem with salvaged Ascended item dropping Deldrimor steel ingot or Bolt of Damask etc, atleast it press the prices of certain crafting materials down a bit.

Posted by: Soinetwa.5193

Soinetwa.5193

i do know a few guys who dont even run fractals .. theyd like fractal rings into their faces but yeah…
once you do a few daily fractals you litterally swim in rings
i do have about 10rings i like
the rest goes almost always instantly to the vendor
(sure condi can be usefull but i do have them in my bank anyway so any more condi rings => almost 5silver)

allowing us to salvage ascended stuff(rings not included since they drop too often or u get something differen from them like 1-(verry rarely 10) ectos
to egt deldrimor or damask out of it would rock
(and help getting wool linen and silk back into order cause they kinda… rise and rise…)

also keep in mind u can just take celestial stat combos if u dont like the stats
(i dont like celestial for pve either but its a possibility to mix celestial with other stuff..not tooo bad^^)