[Suggestion] Second weapon set visible

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Truecolorz.4835

Truecolorz.4835

My friend and I had an idea what we thought would be cool:

When you swap weapon set, the swapped set wouldn’t disappear into thin air but holstered to your characters back, waist etc.

For example, guard holding gs has his secondary staff stored to his back and when swapped, gs would be holstered to the back and staff would be wielded.

If this change doesn’t please all players, an option to hide secondary weapon set could be implemented.

In my opinion this would suit many characters and add to immersion.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

That would be really amazing.

Posted by: haresean.3856

haresean.3856

Well kitten.

That would be cool.

No.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

And when you stow your weapons?

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Truecolorz.4835

Truecolorz.4835

Well that could be sorted by possibly moving the position of other weapon by bit so they wouldnt stack.

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

This would create a kittenstorm of clipping issues. But I wouldn’t mind as long as you have the option to toggle it on/off.

Posted by: Nienow.1705

Nienow.1705

In WvW it could cause a bit of lag since you have one more weapon for every player on your screen. If you would have the option to toggle it off, this would be a great thing.

Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The only issue is if you have two weapons that would overlap when stowed (say you ranger has both a longbow and a shortbow). But I can see this working for some cases.

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

To store two sheathe-on-back weapons, you could simply flip the second one horizontally, so they’re attached to your back in an X-shape. I think that would look pretty awesome in most cases.

And again, being able to toggle this off, and auto-hiding in high-latency situations fixes all the potential problems mentioned thus far.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

Its a great idea but I think there would be too many clipping issues for this to ever be implemented. Not least the clipping with back items or races such as the Charr

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

well, now wait for (other) double dual wielders… Axe/torch, Axe dagger… Nice tollbelt fuill of stuff, and now wait what happens if someone attacks, willl it be the dagger or the torch?

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

Totaly makes sense. I like the idea

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

My friend and I had an idea what we thought would be cool:

When you swap weapon set, the swapped set wouldn’t disappear into thin air but holstered to your characters back, waist etc.

For example, guard holding gs has his secondary staff stored to his back and when swapped, gs would be holstered to the back and staff would be wielded.

If this change doesn’t please all players, an option to hide secondary weapon set could be implemented.

In my opinion this would suit many characters and add to immersion.

I have stood by the opinion against multiple weapon-sets from release, and making them both visible will just make the issue worse imo. I think a great change would be to make all classes inspired by lets say elementalists, where you have one weapon but more skills for it. That if something would be more immersive than a warrior today who can launch a hammerstun and ½ sec later be ready with a pin-down like a time warp ninja.

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Imo… if you got a layout of 2 1 handed and 1 2 handed weapons they just should be all visible. But if you got like 2 2 handed or 4 1 handed weapons they just should show the current set you got.

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

Imo… if you got a layout of 2 1 handed and 1 2 handed weapons they just should be all visible. But if you got like 2 2 handed or 4 1 handed weapons they just should show the current set you got.

I think what someone said would be cool, just mirror image the unequiped set. that way a greatsword and a staff make an X on the characters back. do the same for hip weapons, wouldn’t look as good, but still be cool while in combat.

Problem could be w/ legendaries and their walking effects

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

I think what someone said would be cool, just mirror image the unequiped set. that way a greatsword and a staff make an X on the characters back. do the same for hip weapons, wouldn’t look as good, but still be cool while in combat.

Problem could be w/ legendaries and their walking effects

why? Just have the currently choosen weapon set dominate the other with effects and that should be solved right away.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Its not like that backpieces doesnt clipping with weapons already. I thought about that idea few weeks ago but i can’t see them adding that anyway (cough cough lack of dual wield animations)

Attachments:

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I suggested this like a year ago, would especially be nice when you switch between a two-handed weapon and two of-handed / main-hand weapons. In case of legendary weapons the effects could also stack in some ways (while something like footprints should only be active for the weapon in use).

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

This would be very cool, provided—as you stated—that the secondary weapon could be hidden or shown as desired—similar to helmets and shoulders.
For some of my characters who use greatsword, staff, or hammer, it clips with their back piece. As such, I keep their one handed set as default when out of combat. But for other characters—like my ranger—her longbow and quiver back piece go great together, so it would be nice to see them both even when I am using my other weapon.

Posted by: Kayji.4390

Kayji.4390

I would love this. I think Archeage already does this.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

If its optional, then sure.

I think some combinations would look super cluttered, though (like, say, using 2 of the really huge greatswords or 4 larger 1H weapons) so I’d definitely give it a no-go if its going to be forced.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

My biggest problem with this would be for people with slow loading computers/computers with generally poor performance. Suddenly computers are going to have to deal with loading and displaying a bunch more models and textures. It would be slow and messy- consider two legendary greatswords both stowed and visible.

My second problem is clipping issues. I think this is fairly self-explanatory really, especially when it comes to back items, which already have clipping problems with two-handed weapons.

My third problem is when a character has two weapon sets- all weapons single handed. (E.g. Mesmer: Scepter/Focus Sword/Pistol). It makes sense for all of these weapons to be holstered at the hip. Anywhere else would appear to be pretty odd: reaching them would appear awkward. Small character models (e.g. Asura) already have limited space for these weapons to show.

Building on the previous point, what about shields? They are stowed on the back and take up a huge amount of room. If you had two weapon sets (e.g. sword/shield mace/shield) which shield would appear on the character’s back?

I also feel that this would leave out Eles and Engis. Should all Engi kits that are equipped in utility slots appear somewhere on an Engi’s body?

I agree with what most people have already said… it would just look cluttered.

My only solution to one of these problems is to make any back-item be hidden when this option is toggled on. This reduces clipping issues and also improves pc performance.

Either way, all in all.. I really doubt this will ever happen. There are too many “what if”s and different circumstances that need to be considered, a lot of work… and all for a very minor aesthetic change which many people wouldn’t really care for.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I like this idea! Unfortunately I doubt ArenaNet can pull it off especially if it had a toggle option. We can hope, but don’t hold your breath.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah it’s a nice idea. I’d support it. I’d also support the ability to keep certain OH weapons holstered when not using one of their skills – i.e. horn, focus, and maybe dagger.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Building on the previous point, what about shields? They are stowed on the back and take up a huge amount of room. If you had two weapon sets (e.g. sword/shield mace/shield) which shield would appear on the character’s back?

Lolol. Since when you have to carry 2 shields?

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Lolol. Since when you have to carry 2 shields?

Well, the thread is about having the second weapon set visible, even when stowed. If you have a shield in each weapon set, then both shields will have to be displayed…

Even if using a shield in both of your weapon-sets is unlikely optimal build-wise, it doesn’t mean it’s impossible.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Necroing this thread cause I just thought of the same thing after looking at a picture of witcher 3

My ranger wants a GS on his back while he has sword/axe equiped!

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I wouldn’t want this, personally.

I already often feel visually overwhelmed, as it is (especially if I show backpack and with all the clipping issues), without 3 or 4 weapons permanently attached to my char’s body.

As long as it was optional, I guess it would be OK.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I wouldn’t want this, personally.

I already often feel visually overwhelmed, as it is (especially if I show backpack and with all the clipping issues), without 3 or 4 weapons permanently attached to my char’s body.

As long as it was optional, I guess it would be OK.

Yeh I use mostly basic skins with no effects but I could see how a bunch of legendaries would be a mess. It would be good with toggle though.

And would add some counter play to pvp.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Xzi.6574

Xzi.6574

What you think about this idea?
For example i show you my vision of my set

Attachments:

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

that’s full equip shown and yes, i would love it.
i have this in skyrim and it really is allot more natural, i never liked the whole “let’s pop a weapon out of nowhere”thing.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

And how should it look for example if you war dagger / dagger and sword / pistol ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Xzi.6574

I came up something like this. It looks not bad ;p

Attachments:

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

And how should it look for example if you war dagger / dagger and sword / pistol ?

Like this:
http://www.primagames.com/media/images/news/assassins_creed_4_black_flag_box_1.jpg

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

May work with smaller weapons .. now imagine something like Frostfang and
maybe a bigger sword.
In the end we will only get masses of new threads about horrible clipping errors
and how bad the game is that they don’t fix that.

If ANet wants that .. they could also just make centaurs a playable race .. or krait

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Xzi.6574

or second weapon set will be at your back, later i make screen

Xzi.6574

I make few sets, of course it is only to show you what i mean, i havent skill in photoshop ;p

Attachments:

Xzi.6574

Check it, ill create a few screens of visible second set
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Visible-double-weapon-set

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Sword/Shield, Mace/Shield

Granted, I want them to eventually add Shield/Shield as an actual set, but that’d just make it worse, since you could theoretically have 3 (or 4 if you wanted to be a jerk) shields equipped at that point.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: jesse.4865

jesse.4865

With two shields you become a turtle.

Well, I don’t think that it has ever happened in history of humanity that someone carried/used two shields.
In that case, I think only the one used most recently could be visible.