[Suggestion] Skip able cut scenes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

I have no idea why we are going back in technology but can we please get skip able cut scenes? It really hurts replay-ability especially with achievements to have to listen to the cut scenes over and over and over and over etc. I don’t mind for the first time if we couldn’t skip it, but on try 1,000 it gets annoying. This also is aimed at these large chunks of dialogue that was introduced with HoT.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

What they’ve said in the past is that some cut scenes are there to cover up while various assets are loaded into position and skipping them can give you progress-stopping bugs. So for those instances it’s wait through the cinematic or start all over again and never get past that point.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

^

Indeed.

Here’s the quote

There’s a bigger technical issue—during “in game” scenes, the NPCs are moving around and things are happening (gadgets might be activating, props may be animating, etc.) and if you just skipped all that, it could lead to some really bizarre behavior. Trying to manually set a “failsafe” to teleport the NPCs, fire off effects, etc. to replicate what the world state is if the cutscene plays is extremely tedious and error prone.

That’s why the old style “dialogue cutscenes” (and the fancy but rare full blown l sequences, like the Order movies and racial intros) are skippable, because we aren’t doing anything to the world while the dialogue plays, so skipping it doesn’t have any effect. We’ve moved away from those, because the in-game scenes are a lot more satisfying, but there’s a trade off.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

I understand all that. I also understand there used to be cut scenes back in the personal story days that was skippable. Now all this content is being made like the above post where its made to not be sklippable and the suggestion is less of this type of cut scenes. That Mike guy said his job is to entertain the players and release fun enjoyable content and long drawn out scenes that do nothing isn’t fun.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD