Suggestion: Split hot maps into smaller ones

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

It seems like all people care about are how many maps, they do not care about the size and quality of the maps. Honestly Anet just saperate all the huge maps you made into smaller one, for ex. split Verdent Brink into 3 maps since numbers of maps are the only thing these people care about. If you don’t, I guarantee you that there will be countless thread just whine about not getting enough maps.

There you go people, are you guys happy now that we have 20 new normal size maps instead of 3 extremely huge ones.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

(edited by warbignime.4610)

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Honestly. I dont think some people can quite grasp what the whole three biomes thing actually means. They hear (oh hey there 3-4 maps) and they convince htemselves theres ONLY 3-4 maps worth of content inc omparison to whats out now.

Ive even seen people under the impression that verdant brink is the only map…(had a good laugh on that while at the same time being repulsed at how terrifying it is that some people actually believe that.)

Ghost Yak

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Couple of mistakes you made. I corrected them.

“There you go people, are you guys happy now that we have 20 new really tiny maps instead of 3 the size of the silverwastes.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Shadelang.3012

“There you go people, are you guys happy now that we have 20 new really tiny maps instead of 3 the size of the silverwastes.”

Except….there significantly larger than silverwastes….like. ALOT larger.

Ghost Yak

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Honestly. I dont think some people can quite grasp what the whole three biomes thing actually means. They hear (oh hey there 3-4 maps) and they convince htemselves theres ONLY 3-4 maps worth of content inc omparison to whats out now.

Ive even seen people under the impression that verdant brink is the only map…(had a good laugh on that while at the same time being repulsed at how terrifying it is that some people actually believe that.)

It doesn’t help that I’ve seen it misquoted as ‘Anet announced there will be 3 maps’ far more than I’ve seen people say all they’ve told us is each map will have 3 levels. I’d also hazard a guess that some people don’t know what a biome is and that confuses things.

But even knowing how many maps there are wouldn’t actually tell us what most people really want to know which is how much content there is. If every map is like Southsun, with one short event chain, 2 short jumping puzzles, a few unique crafting materials and not much else it’s going to be disappointing even if there are 20 maps.

Whereas if they make them like Silverwastes or Drytop, or even like the original maps, where there are multiple kinds of content all going on at once and most/all designed to be replayable we’ll get a lot more out of it even if there’s only 4 or 5 maps.

The biggest problem at the moment is that we simply don’t know. We’re being invited to pay for the expansion but don’t know what we’re actually going to get.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

warbignime.4610

It doesn’t help that I’ve seen it misquoted as ‘Anet announced there will be 3 maps’ far more than I’ve seen people say all they’ve told us is each map will have 3 levels. I’d also hazard a guess that some people don’t know what a biome is and that confuses things.

But even knowing how many maps there are wouldn’t actually tell us what most people really want to know which is how much content there is. If every map is like Southsun, with one short event chain, 2 short jumping puzzles, a few unique crafting materials and not much else it’s going to be disappointing even if there are 20 maps.

Whereas if they make them like Silverwastes or Drytop, or even like the original maps, where there are multiple kinds of content all going on at once and most/all designed to be replayable we’ll get a lot more out of it even if there’s only 4 or 5 maps.

The biggest problem at the moment is that we simply don’t know. We’re being invited to pay for the expansion but don’t know what we’re actually going to get.

Well, look at all the forum post and reddit post, not one is asking for quality or size, everyone are just going on and on about how Many, that’s why I made this thread. Seems like most people are focusing on How Many.

warbignime.4610

Have you seen Verdent Brink? go check out beta footage on Youtube.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

people don’t understand map count don’t justify how much fun we can squeeze out from 3 well designed replayability focused map for lv80.

It is useless to get 100+ maps where they clone the same stupid mechanics over and over. True value behind those HoT maps are the whole maps aimed for 1 target, the meta event. Everyone is pulling their own weight to get it done and the replayability is much higher than any of the core map as a sum can provide.

warbignime.4610

people don’t understand map count don’t justify how much fun we can squeeze out from 3 well designed replayability focused map for lv80.

It is useless to get 100+ maps where they clone the same stupid mechanics over and over. True value behind those HoT maps are the whole maps aimed for 1 target, the meta event. Everyone is pulling their own weight to get it done and the replayability is much higher than any of the core map as a sum can provide.

Exactly this, numbers don’t matter yet people are going on and on about how many.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I didnt, so is this map the rest of the unexplored map you see on the current map design?

Just a flesh wound.3589

Here is a datamined picture of Verdent Brinks, with Dry Top and the Silverwastes next to it and Brisbane on the far right.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Here is a datamined picture of Verdent Brinks, with Dry Top and the Silverwastes next to it and Brisbane on the far right.

That cant be the whole map, they would be the laughing stock of the gaming world if that’s it.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

That is ALL? Based on SW I can probably run across that in 2 minutes.

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Except you have the 3 biomes thing. It is much more vertical than SW. Besides, is it really about how quickly you get through it? Shouldn’t it be about how long it keeps you entertained and about how much fun you have during that time?

That cant be the whole map, they would be the laughing stock of the gaming world if that’s it.

That is a single zone of the expansion. We know there will be other zones but so far only Verdant Brink has been playable in the beta (and only a part of Verdant Brink at that).

(edited by Diovid.9506)

Just a flesh wound.3589

Except you have the 3 biomes thing. It is much more vertical than SW. Besides, is it really about how quickly you get through it? Shouldn’t it be about how long it keeps you entertained and about how much fun you have during that time?

That is a single zone of the expansion. We know there will be other zones but so far only Verdant Brink has been playable in the beta (and only a part of Verdant Brink at that).

Oh yah. It only shows the top layer and the size from above. And of course there are other maps of unknown size and unknown number. And of course all these maps have verticality with an unknown number of events per unit of space.

Did I say unknown a few times? That’s sort of my point. We do not know what we are getting for our 50 dollars. Not the number of maps. Not the size of the other maps. Not the amount of content per map.

Which is why I say I’m going to wait to buy till I have more information.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Reminds me of argument about Ground Zeroes. It was sold for around 40 eur and took only 30 minutes to finish, BUT it had a lot of side objectives and replayability.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

This guy get it.

It is all about how a map can gather as much players as possible and entertain these people as long as possible. If the map is too big and spread players too thin that some area feel deserted, thats probably not a good design anyway.

Anet has gathered the exp from the core maps and sum that up to dry top and silverwaste, map size doesn’t matter, wp number matters. If the map is too big, you need a lot of wp but than it lost the meaning of present in a choke point if everyone can pop out of nowhere. Smaller map but take away most wp makes the map feel much larger, and where to go, when to stay does matters.

Somebody don’t like dry top or silverwaste i get it, but doesn’t mean these maps go deserted. I don’t like dry top but occasionally went there to find buried chest and to my surprise, these map are at tier 4 or 5. That count for something really.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It seems like all people care about are how many maps, they do not care about the size and quality of the maps. Honestly Anet just saperate all the huge maps you made into smaller one, for ex. split Verdent Brink into 3 maps since numbers of maps are the only thing these people care about. If you don’t, I guarantee you that there will be countless thread just whine about not getting enough maps.

There you go people, are you guys happy now that we have 20 new normal size maps instead of 3 extremely huge ones.

Why stop on maps?

Since you have a choice between 3 different major traits on each tier of a specialization, why not split them in 3 elite specializations! 3 COMPLETELY new elite specializations for each profession! Talk about good marketing.

Same princeple can apply to lots of things. Split the WvW in separate maps based on their theme, say “4 new WvW maps added in the game!”

Split dungeons in smaller paths, for example CoF P1 can be split in: The Slave Driver’s path, the bridge path, saving Kreia path, boulders jumping puzzle, gate control path AND the Effigy path! 6 paths instead of one, imagine the marketing how good it would look to all those who only see quantity!

warbignime.4610

It was rescaled on mini map to give you a better picture, that is not the actual map size. You can use Tyria 3D which to check out the collision data.

Shadelang.3012

Good. Now multiply that by 3. All your seeing right now is one biome. You can’t actually see the canopy or the undergrowth.

Ghost Yak

Shadelang.3012

It was rescaled on mini map to give you a better picture, that is not the actual map size. You can use Tyria 3D which to check out the collision data.

This. Verdant Brink is massive in comparison to other gw2 maps.

Ghost Yak

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you say so, though I don’t see why they needed to do that when they don’t do that to any other maps. However, even if it was twice as big, it still wouldn’t be huge and still couldn’t easily be chopped up into a maps of worthwhile size, which is your contention.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

warbignime.4610

If you say so, though I don’t see why they needed to do that when they don’t do that to any other maps. However, even if it was twice as big, it still wouldn’t be huge and still couldn’t easily be chopped up into a maps of worthwhile size, which is your contention.

What? the map is pact with amazing and entertaining events, have you actually seen the beta footage? Do more research before say something like that.

Also the mini map was made by fan, which he took verdent brink and slot it onto the in game mini map. It’s not the actual size. Like I said use Tyria 3D and see for your self how big the map is.