Suggestion: Titles Rework

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

Hi,

I have just read a thread about how pointless are the titles in the game as people rarely checks /change them, or just don’t care what is sitting over their head mostly.

I have played an MMO where titles had a use. They were providing boosts to the player so they were changed according to the game situation.

We could have something like this. Of course nothing game breaker but still something that worth working for.

Of course this should not affect WvW and PvP as those titles are mostly time gated and would punish new joiners.

For example:

Been There, Done That – + 5% speed boost (not in towns)
Master Crafter – + 5% XP boost while crafting
Golden – + 5% extra gold received from monsters
Combat Healer – +50 Healing Power
The Sunbringer – + 50 Condition Damage
Dungeon Master – + 10% Gold Reward income from dungons (more gold / more token)

and so on…

What do you think?
Cheers
Beer Time

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Sounds a bit like GW (One).

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

I was more thinking of Aion. I’ve been playing GW1 for a quite a long time and can’t remeber any titles that gave you boost.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I wouldn’t mind this but I guess it could be argued that pursuing titles gives you achievement points which already go towards various account boosts. I like the idea though, always felt like my titles in GW1 that were more than cosmetic were more worth the grind. Having said that, a lot of GW2 titles don’t have the same grind as we had in the first game.

Edit – The Lightbringer and EotN titles all gave various boosts, Lucky/Treasure Hunter/Wisdom gave salvaging/lockpick retention bonuses. Kurz/Luxon/Sunspear made certain skills stronger.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

To be honest, I like that titles are “pointless” regarding game-mechanics and rewards. I prefer them to be cosmetic and fit my character, rather than having to select a specific one because it gives the “best” boost. We already have guild boosts for things like +gold or +exp, personally I think that’s enough.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

I’d rather not… People complain about grinding achievements for masteries already, and this would just add to that. Also it would pressure me to choose a title for the bonus and not for the title’s “flavor”.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Add me to the list of those that want the titles to be simply a cosmetic thing. It should not become another equipment slot.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Sorry but I hate the idea, I have 22 level 80’s all with different titles, some are class champion titles for that related character, others are for more RP reasons, your idea just forces people to use titles they do not want to use for the buffs, that is not freedom of choice, they are fine the way they are.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

It would make them useful but also too many drawbacks. For example many titles will still have useless or no benefits at all. This leads to a situation where someone likes one titles but feels forced to use another due to the benefits attached. ANet probably does not need more angry people that feel like they are being forced to do things a certain way. Things like increased exp gain become obsolete after a while.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

The titles are fine. I like ’em.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’d rather just have titles as they are. My main usually wears “Emissary of the Mad King,” but I don’t want to have to switch to “Golden” all the time to play most efficiently, just because Emissary of the Mad King “negates sugar rush condition,” or some such thing.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

They’re fine as they are. I’d like to be able to continue to use a title because I like it. Your system would create a situation where I’d be pressured to change my title depending on the content I’m doing, and seek and display titles I might think are dumb.

Titles are cosmetic outward signifiers of achievements. That’s their purpose. The games I’ve played that gave them functional effects made them annoying grinds that people felt compelled to complete for the stat buff rather than a way to show off some cool thing you did.

I don’t like this idea.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Titles should work for a Reputation System, hats how they worked in GW1 where we hat reputation due to havign different Factions in the game, providing you basically on how much reputation you collected for a said faction increasing benefits that were basically only useful for PvE only.

Thats how Titles should work in GW2 again to make them more meaningful and rewarding.
also this Game needs alot more Titles aot of unused potential there.
Not to say that this game needs better titles also – alot of the stuff that we have so far aren#t even at all real titles…

Stufff like Been there, done that, Golden, Twice told legend, The be all and end all are no titles to me …

Titles are things like “Acolyte of Dwayna”, Grand Artisan, Professor, Hero of Lions Arch and so on..
Things, that say something out about you and your character, who or what they are.
———

This way would I change titles:

Achiever Titles
Wearing the Achiever Title grants you per rank +5% Magic Find, Gold Find and Karma.
So with 50k Ap wearign the Max achiever Title, you would have a Bonus of 50% MF, GF and Karma gain

Map Completion
Renamed from Been Here Done That to Master Cartographer
Wearing the Master Cartographer Title increases the speed for you in which you will gain Map Boni Rewards from doing Events by 25% and doubles the Rewards of the Map Bonis, so instead of gaining only for example 1 Lodestone as a reward, you get from a Map Bonus then 2 Lodestones while you use this title in PvE Maps.

Birthday Titles
Wearings the Birthday Titles will increase your Gold Gain as Rewards from doing Dungeons by 50 Silver per Rank. So a currently 3 year old Account will get from Dungeon Runs daily per done Path 1,5G more from doing a Dungeon Run.

Honorary Skritt
While using this Title in Maps in which Skritt live in, will you randomly receive SHINY things from friendly Skritt when talking to them.

Grand Artisan
Adds the chance that you craft sometimes items that you can sell twice per Craft. Unlocks also new Crafting Recipes that you can learn only when you are a Grand Artisan

Exotic Hunter
Slightly increases your chance to get Exotic Loot from Monster Kills

Acolyte of Dwayna
Increases in PvE your Healing Power of your Self Heal by 10% and lets Regenerations on you last 2s longer

Dungeoneer/Dungeon Master
Doubles Dungeon Tokens you receive when playing Dungeons and wearign this Title.
Unlocks new Dungeon Token Rewards you can get only by using unique Dungeon Tokens that you can receive by using normal Dungeon Tokens and a new type of loot that will drop for you only in dungeons when you own both of those titles and wearing one of them in the Dungeons.

Light in the Darkness
Enables you to see alot better in very dark places as you will automatically use a bright magical torch that will illuminate the way for you in very dark places, if you way this title.

Miniature Collector
Enables you to give your Miniatures also names, like Rangers can name their Pets, while usign this title.

Professor
Increases your Account Bonus Exp Gain from Monster Kills by 15% while wearing this Title

Hivemaster
Decreases the Damage that you receive from Chak while wearing this title by 10% and increases damage that you title to them by 10%

Mistwarden
Doubles Badges of Honors you gain from Player/NPC Kills in WvW. Increases you Boon Durations by 10% in PvE while wearing this title.

The Great Reformer
Reduces Gold Costs for you on the Personal Story Faction Equipment Colelctions by 25% while wearign this Title and increases your gold gain by 25% if you sell any Personal Story Faction NPC somethign by 25% while wearign this Title.

Ex Machina
Increases the Damage you deal with any kind of environmental siege weapon in PvE by 10% while wearign this title.

Fatebreaker
Adds the chance to receive new materials from salvagign that you would normally not get from savalging items, when usign this title, like for example at rare chance lodestones when salving equipment of rare or higher quality.

Illuminated Renamed to "Shining Liberator*
Gain a Bonus of more Exhalted Currency when fighting with this title active in the Exhalted Map in Heart of Thorns, which is especialy stronger, when successfully defendign Tarir, where you gain increase the Bonus, if you kill with the title active Modrem with an Auric Weapon equipped.

PvP Rank Titles
Gain Bonus % for speeding up the Process if filling up PvP Reward Tracks, so higher your PvP Rank Title you use by 8% per Rank. So you will get double PvP Reward Track progress when using Legendary Champion.

PvP Class Titles
Unlocks for you unique Class Specific Finishing Moves while using these Titles, that you can use only when havign the title active.

Master Crafter
Gain 50% more Crafting Exp and have 10% increased Critical Chances on Crafting, whle you use this Title. This Bonus adds to the effect of Crafting Boosters, so if you use a Booster, it wont be a direct addign, but a 50% increase of the booster effect then.
So you get 75% increase when having both at the same time, not straight 100% like adding 50+50%

Golden renamed to Piggy Bank
Talk to the Bank NPC with this title on and the NPC allows you a new Option to story money of your account away, Minimum Gold you need to have for this option to appear is 20 Gold. If you talk to the NPC again 1 month later, you will regain you money back that you gave away plus 1-5% Interest.
But think on this good, if you give it away, you wont get it back until 1 month is over …

Twice Told Legend renamed to "Fabulous Legend*
Gain slightly increased Exp, Karma, Gold rewards from doing Events while wearign this title in PvE Maps

The Emperor/Fashion Collector Renamed to Fashion King/Queen
Unlock both of them and wear one of them to unlock for your account the ability to be able to buy new Tier 4 ascended cultural armor sets and unlock collections for tier 5 legendary cultural armors.

Combat Healer
Lets you revive faster in PvE while wearing this title and gain protection while you revive.

The Sunbringer
Deal increased Damage against Undeads and receive lesser Damage from undeads, whiel wearign this title.

Great Jungle Wurm Slayer/Wurms Bane
Unlock both of those titles and deal increased Damage and receive lesser Damage from Wurms of any kind while wearing one of these titles.

Killer Queen
Deal increased Damage against Karkas and receive lesser Damage from them too while wearign this Title.

Hall of Monuments Titles
Enable to to use Title Specific Finishing Moves while using the Titles.
—-

Omnomnivore
Increases the Durations of Potions while using this title by 5 Minutes

WvW Titles
They all do count towards an overall WvW reputation WvW Exp Bonus System, that so more WvW Titles you gain, so more WvW Exp will you gain.

Each unlocked WvW Title will give you +5,889% more WvW Exp
Currently 17 titles = 17*5,889% = + 100% more WvW Exp if you have all current Titles

Wintersday Titles
Increase Wintersday Rewards so more of them you collect, while wearign one of them

Halloween Titles
Increase halloween Rewards so more of them you collect, while wearing one of them.

Minigame Titles
Increases Minigame Rewards while wearign them.

Hero of Lions Arch
Have an unique Heroic Aura, while being in Lions Arch while you have this title on and randomly receive daily random gifts from Lions Arch NPCs to which you talk to which you defended when Scarlet attacked LA, which is their way of thanking and honoring you and your bravery.

SAB Titles
Gain increased Bubbles when using the titles when whever SAB will come back …

The Blazing Light
Unlocks a unique Finishing Move you can use only, when using actively this title.

Silverwaste Titles
So more you get of them while wearign one of them, so higher is your Map Currency Reward Bonus and so higher your MF Bonus on the Map.

Golden Child
Unlocks a unique finishign Move you can use only when this title is active.

The Eternal
Unlocks a unique finishing move that you can use only when this title is active*

PvP Tournament Titles
Unlock unique finishing Moves that you can use only when havign the titles active in use.

Trail Blazer
Unlocks a unique HoT themed finishing move that you can use only when using actively this title.
—-

Thats what id do with the current titles, to make them more meaning ful, while alot of others would add something unique visually to the game in regard of special finishing move designs.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Mervinas.9482

Mervinas.9482

Exquisite work you have done, Orpheal. I very like your ideas. If I may add some, I would suggest to give some PvE skill/skills (in similar fashion Racial skills are), when wearing particular title. Maybe an Elite skill for harder ones. Another possibility could be to earn progress in some track (similar like PvP ones are) when earning experience while you have some title equipped.
Truth to be said that would be a lot of work to implement those changes for existing titles. At least something could be done with new ones. But really, they need some update to be of any meaning.

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Titles should work for a Reputation System, hats how they worked in GW1 where we hat reputation due to havign different Factions in the game, providing you basically on how much reputation you collected for a said faction increasing benefits that were basically only useful for PvE only.

Thats how Titles should work in GW2 again to make them more meaningful and rewarding.
also this Game needs alot more Titles aot of unused potential there.
Not to say that this game needs better titles also – alot of the stuff that we have so far aren#t even at all real titles…

Stufff like Been there, done that, Golden, Twice told legend, The be all and end all are no titles to me …

Titles are things like “Acolyte of Dwayna”, Grand Artisan, Professor, Hero of Lions Arch and so on..
Things, that say something out about you and your character, who or what they are.
———

This way would I change titles:

Achiever Titles
Wearing the Achiever Title grants you per rank +5% Magic Find, Gold Find and Karma.
So with 50k Ap wearign the Max achiever Title, you would have a Bonus of 50% MF, GF and Karma gain

Map Completion
Renamed from Been Here Done That to Master Cartographer
Wearing the Master Cartographer Title increases the speed for you in which you will gain Map Boni Rewards from doing Events by 25% and doubles the Rewards of the Map Bonis, so instead of gaining only for example 1 Lodestone as a reward, you get from a Map Bonus then 2 Lodestones while you use this title in PvE Maps.

Birthday Titles
Wearings the Birthday Titles will increase your Gold Gain as Rewards from doing Dungeons by 50 Silver per Rank. So a currently 3 year old Account will get from Dungeon Runs daily per done Path 1,5G more from doing a Dungeon Run.

Honorary Skritt
While using this Title in Maps in which Skritt live in, will you randomly receive SHINY things from friendly Skritt when talking to them.

Grand Artisan
Adds the chance that you craft sometimes items that you can sell twice per Craft. Unlocks also new Crafting Recipes that you can learn only when you are a Grand Artisan

Exotic Hunter
Slightly increases your chance to get Exotic Loot from Monster Kills

Acolyte of Dwayna
Increases in PvE your Healing Power of your Self Heal by 10% and lets Regenerations on you last 2s longer

Dungeoneer/Dungeon Master
Doubles Dungeon Tokens you receive when playing Dungeons and wearign this Title.
Unlocks new Dungeon Token Rewards you can get only by using unique Dungeon Tokens that you can receive by using normal Dungeon Tokens and a new type of loot that will drop for you only in dungeons when you own both of those titles and wearing one of them in the Dungeons.

Light in the Darkness
Enables you to see alot better in very dark places as you will automatically use a bright magical torch that will illuminate the way for you in very dark places, if you way this title.

Miniature Collector
Enables you to give your Miniatures also names, like Rangers can name their Pets, while usign this title.

Professor
Increases your Account Bonus Exp Gain from Monster Kills by 15% while wearing this Title

Hivemaster
Decreases the Damage that you receive from Chak while wearing this title by 10% and increases damage that you title to them by 10%

Mistwarden
Doubles Badges of Honors you gain from Player/NPC Kills in WvW. Increases you Boon Durations by 10% in PvE while wearing this title.

The Great Reformer
Reduces Gold Costs for you on the Personal Story Faction Equipment Colelctions by 25% while wearign this Title and increases your gold gain by 25% if you sell any Personal Story Faction NPC somethign by 25% while wearign this Title.

Ex Machina
Increases the Damage you deal with any kind of environmental siege weapon in PvE by 10% while wearign this title.

Fatebreaker
Adds the chance to receive new materials from salvagign that you would normally not get from savalging items, when usign this title, like for example at rare chance lodestones when salving equipment of rare or higher quality.

Illuminated Renamed to "Shining Liberator*
Gain a Bonus of more Exhalted Currency when fighting with this title active in the Exhalted Map in Heart of Thorns, which is especialy stronger, when successfully defendign Tarir, where you gain increase the Bonus, if you kill with the title active Modrem with an Auric Weapon equipped.

PvP Rank Titles
Gain Bonus % for speeding up the Process if filling up PvP Reward Tracks, so higher your PvP Rank Title you use by 8% per Rank. So you will get double PvP Reward Track progress when using Legendary Champion.

PvP Class Titles
Unlocks for you unique Class Specific Finishing Moves while using these Titles, that you can use only when havign the title active.

Master Crafter
Gain 50% more Crafting Exp and have 10% increased Critical Chances on Crafting, whle you use this Title. This Bonus adds to the effect of Crafting Boosters, so if you use a Booster, it wont be a direct addign, but a 50% increase of the booster effect then.
So you get 75% increase when having both at the same time, not straight 100% like adding 50+50%

Golden renamed to Piggy Bank
Talk to the Bank NPC with this title on and the NPC allows you a new Option to story money of your account away, Minimum Gold you need to have for this option to appear is 20 Gold. If you talk to the NPC again 1 month later, you will regain you money back that you gave away plus 1-5% Interest.
But think on this good, if you give it away, you wont get it back until 1 month is over …

Twice Told Legend renamed to "Fabulous Legend*
Gain slightly increased Exp, Karma, Gold rewards from doing Events while wearign this title in PvE Maps

The Emperor/Fashion Collector Renamed to Fashion King/Queen
Unlock both of them and wear one of them to unlock for your account the ability to be able to buy new Tier 4 ascended cultural armor sets and unlock collections for tier 5 legendary cultural armors.

Combat Healer
Lets you revive faster in PvE while wearing this title and gain protection while you revive.

The Sunbringer
Deal increased Damage against Undeads and receive lesser Damage from undeads, whiel wearign this title.

Great Jungle Wurm Slayer/Wurms Bane
Unlock both of those titles and deal increased Damage and receive lesser Damage from Wurms of any kind while wearing one of these titles.

Killer Queen
Deal increased Damage against Karkas and receive lesser Damage from them too while wearign this Title.

Hall of Monuments Titles
Enable to to use Title Specific Finishing Moves while using the Titles.
—-

Omnomnivore
Increases the Durations of Potions while using this title by 5 Minutes

WvW Titles
They all do count towards an overall WvW reputation WvW Exp Bonus System, that so more WvW Titles you gain, so more WvW Exp will you gain.

Each unlocked WvW Title will give you +5,889% more WvW Exp
Currently 17 titles = 17*5,889% = + 100% more WvW Exp if you have all current Titles

Wintersday Titles
Increase Wintersday Rewards so more of them you collect, while wearign one of them

Halloween Titles
Increase halloween Rewards so more of them you collect, while wearing one of them.

Minigame Titles
Increases Minigame Rewards while wearign them.

Hero of Lions Arch
Have an unique Heroic Aura, while being in Lions Arch while you have this title on and randomly receive daily random gifts from Lions Arch NPCs to which you talk to which you defended when Scarlet attacked LA, which is their way of thanking and honoring you and your bravery.

SAB Titles
Gain increased Bubbles when using the titles when whever SAB will come back …

The Blazing Light
Unlocks a unique Finishing Move you can use only, when using actively this title.

Silverwaste Titles
So more you get of them while wearign one of them, so higher is your Map Currency Reward Bonus and so higher your MF Bonus on the Map.

Golden Child
Unlocks a unique finishign Move you can use only when this title is active.

The Eternal
Unlocks a unique finishing move that you can use only when this title is active*

PvP Tournament Titles
Unlock unique finishing Moves that you can use only when havign the titles active in use.

Trail Blazer
Unlocks a unique HoT themed finishing move that you can use only when using actively this title.
—-

Thats what id do with the current titles, to make them more meaning ful, while alot of others would add something unique visually to the game in regard of special finishing move designs.

Noooooo… I don’t want to be juggling titles every time I decide to do something different in game.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

See, Orpheal’s design, while thorough and interesting, is exactly what I don’t want. With that setup, I would only wear my favorite Halloween title during Halloween, while constantly switching titles based on what content I’m doing. I don’t PvP/WvW, so I would NEVER use my Hall of Monuments titles. That’s a real bummer.

Instead of everyone wearing the title they prefer, wherever they go, you’re going to have tons of people all wearing the same titles, based on what gives the best return on the area they’re in.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Embered.5089

Embered.5089

I just want more titles. They don’t have to be reworked—I just want MOAR TITLES. <.<