[Suggestion]Titles should be maintained

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sagar.4563

Sagar.4563

I recently started playing guild wars (2 months now) and lately I have been doing a few dungeon runs. While lfg I have come across a few people with the “dungeon master” title. The sad thing about that is that some of those people had little or less knowledge of paths you cant rush through. The usual excuses are “forgot this path” or “when I got the title this path didnt exist (aether path)”. Now whenever i see someone with the dungeon master title I have no idea what to expect, since it has no value really. Then I thought actually no title in the game has any impact on me, since you only have to do certain things once in the game. After thinking about this a little i an idea of actually giving titles some value, meaning causing an effect on people when read.

Idea for the dungeon master title:
First of all the requirements need to be raised in order to get the title. Something like completing every path(including story) of each dungeon 50 times, then you get the title. Once you have the you have to maintain it f.i. completing all paths of all dungeons atleast once every two weeks, if this requirement is fulfilled you get to keep the title, if you dont fulfill it you lose the title. This would guarantee that players with the dungeon master title are actual experts at dungeons.

Idea for combat healer:
the daily revive achievement has to be fulfilled in order to keep the title.

Idea for golden:
You have to have 200G at all times to keep the title

I am sure this works for other titles as-well. In addition, this concept would make titles way more interesting because when you read someones title you already get a good idea what type of player a person is.

Does this idea already exist and am I outdated? or
Is it new and what do you guys think about it?

Posted by: Teniz.5249

Teniz.5249

The Dungeon Master title is garbage since ppl are selling Dungeons (especially arah)

As the game launched Dungen Master was really a cool title because you had to do all the paths but like i said since there are these Dungeonsellers (that I would want to see be perma baned because they often abuse bugs) this title means nothing at all, but the bride side of this is the other titles are not hard to get too.

The only “hard” title to get is the cultural armor title where you buy XX times a cultural armor. Its just gold grinding but way more difficult than give X Gold to a guy that is bug-abusing-the-game to make more money.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

yeeeeeeeah…. no.
Dungeon master title means this person completed every dungeon path, not that this person is a master of dungeons.
This also wouldnt even work with a really big number of titles in the game and you wouldnt want those people with 50+ titles to do all this kitten every day just to hold on to the titles they rightfully earned

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Ah… so the value behind the Dungeon Master title isn’t that you’ve done all the dungeons and their respective paths their own way – No, instead its meant to be a flag to everyone that you’re a Pro-speed Dungeon raider?

Pardon me…. but….

kitten that.

Good day.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

I know where you are coming from (the example with Dungeon Master) and totally understand what bothers you about this. Still, I don’t think your suggestion is a good idea for several reasons.

This game is supposed to be casual friendly. Casual means, not playing 6 hours a day, not 4, but maybe only 1-2 hours. To finish e.g. each dungeon path at least once in a period of 14 days would require a player to spend 1-2 hours a day solely running dungeons (just some guesstimate, since there are fast paths and then there are paths like the Arah dungeon paths). Even if it’s less than an hour per day, this would be too much effort required to “maintain” only one of your titles… You can imagine the grind required to maintain more than one title.

What I agree on though is, that running each path once is not enough to call yourself a “Dungeon Master”. I still catch myself confusing dungeon paths every now and then until I reach a specific boss and then it’s always like “Ohhhh… It’s this path I’m currently running”. And I’m running dungeons a lot.

So in this regard the initial requirements for some achievements should definitely be raised (while others are ridiculous – like some… well, most WvW achievements). To be honest, most achievements don’t even feel like achievements at all. But as far as I know, this might change with the introduction of season 2 and the achievements tied to the new story journal… We will see

EDIT: Another idea regarding “Dungeon Master” would be, to keep the requirements as is, but introduce additional achievements similar to the Fractals Frequenter for each dungeon, and some new titles tied to that. But I think this will lead to more elitism as we already have…

(edited by Rayti.6531)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

yeah…. no thank you. I have a hard enough time just finding laid back groups to try and get through the paths I’ve never done at the times that I play to work towards getting that title. I’ll be happy just getting through each path once, thank you very much.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Sagar.4563

yeeeeeeeah…. no.
Dungeon master title means this person completed every dungeon path, not that this person is a master of dungeons.
This also wouldnt even work with a really big number of titles in the game and you wouldnt want those people with 50+ titles to do all this kitten every day just to hold on to the titles they rightfully earned

who says you got to have all titles? while you can only carry one at a time. In my opinion the current dungeon master title should be reduced to “dungeon runner” anyway

to the casual game argument: there is also a possibility to play the game without any title, keeping it casual. titles are anyways just for show

the main aim of this idea is to give titles some significance, which they dont have at the current state

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

So with this idea, now in LFG we would see. ‘Dungeon master title required!!#!@!’

I’ll pass on this, really I think with 2 months play time maybe wait a bit more before deciding on an idea that would limit game play.

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Because they did something for it and earned the title? Because of collectors sense? When i did 50 things i expect to have 50 titles showing that i did 50 things not having 2 titles because i only did 2 of these things last day.
Expecting people to continue to grind to keep the things they already grinded for, really?
That is so super lousy, an even more lousy way to bind people to the game than dailies or ascended.
Korean MMOs can pull that, i expect GW2 to be above this niveau

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

Sagar.4563

well I compare this issue with some real life examples
when you learn some maths equations then you are going to be an expert at those equations at the test. 2 weeks later and you havent done any of those equations in those weeks, results in being no expert anymore

If people really want to keep their titles they should put an “outdated” sign in front of them, if they havent done any of the requirements for the title recently. That would show all the things you did once.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

well I compare this issue with some real life examples
when you learn some maths equations then you are going to be an expert at those equations at the test. 2 weeks later and you havent done any of those equations in those weeks, results in being no expert anymore

If it took you 2 weeks to forget them, then no, you were not an expert even the frst time.

Also, i’d really like to see someone propose that GWAMM should be “mainained” (somehow) as well…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

LanfearShadowflame.3189

You want to compare this to a real life example? Fine.

This like saying a recipient of the Medal of Honor needs to go back out and repeat his act of valor in order to keep it.

That an Olympic gold medalist has to give up their medal 4 years later if they don’t participate or if they don’t win.

That the team members of the winning super bowl team have to give their rings back so that the next year’s winner can have them.

In short, it’s an asinine idea.

Sagar.4563

no no no you got wrong idea. they all still get to keep everything they got but they know are not the best anymore.
Spain is the outdated football world champion
EDIT: the math test from my previous example. The student still has test result to show he once was an expert at those equations

(edited by Sagar.4563)

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Its still a title that show’s you’ve experienced something in game. To me this request is falling into the “Special Snowflake” territory. That you wish to derive personal meaning by excluding others from having something similar to you.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

This just sounds like an annoying hassle, to me. You’d see 99% of players without any titles.

You say this would give titles “value,” but if they just expire after a day or a week then no one would bother. Anyone who actually had one, would either get it by coincidence or because they went and purposefully grinded one particular thing until they got it. Then they’d have to repeat, every time they wanted it. Is that what you think this game should be about?

Sagar.4563

Its still a title that show’s you’ve experienced something in game. To me this request is falling into the “Special Snowflake” territory. That you wish to derive personal meaning by excluding others from having something similar to you.

Well then lets put my idea aside and you guys come up with ideas that give the titles in guild wars 2 some significance, because you cant deny that the “dungeon master” title has absolutely no value

For those who havent gotten it yet:
I made this thread with the main aim to give titles significance. Post your ideas

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Titles are simply rewards for completing a goal. Nothing more nothing less. They show that a person ‘has done’ something, or a set of somethings. It does not necessarily say they are the master of that thing, or set of things though.

The Dungeon Master title simply says “Hey. I have done all 33 dungeon paths at least once” For some, that is quite an accomplishment. Not so much for others, but everyone is different. Titles already have value and significance; though not so much so as to be game breaking in any way. In other words, if it isn’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

You want to compare this to a real life example? Fine.

This like saying a recipient of the Medal of Honor needs to go back out and repeat his act of valor in order to keep it.

That an Olympic gold medalist has to give up their medal 4 years later if they don’t participate or if they don’t win.

That the team members of the winning super bowl team have to give their rings back so that the next year’s winner can have them.

In short, it’s an asinine idea.

Well said! +1

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Sagar.4563

Titles are simply rewards for completing a goal. Nothing more nothing less. They show that a person ‘has done’ something, or a set of somethings. It does not necessarily say they are the master of that thing, or set of things though.

The Dungeon Master title simply says “Hey. I have done all 33 dungeon paths at least once” For some, that is quite an accomplishment. Not so much for others, but everyone is different. Titles already have value and significance; though not so much so as to be game breaking in any way. In other words, if it isn’t broke, don’t try to fix it.

But you could try improving it

LanfearShadowflame.3189

But you could try improving it

There isn’t really much to improve. At least not in regards to what you are talking about.

Now, if they wanted to add a new selection of titles that were dungeon specific. Perhaps even path specific as a subset within that title tree, to show that someone has a mastery of that specific path. That would be more along the lines of what you’re trying to do.

Here’s the kicker though…. someone could have it, and never display it, simply because they opt to display something else. So you’d never really know one way or the other, unless you’re suddenly making it a requirement to get into the group.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Wow. I could see the uproar if something like the GWAMM title expired.

Go back to Guild Wars 1 and vanquish all areas of the map to regain your title!

Ummm. No. Thanks, but no thanks.