[Suggestion]Tonics to Outfits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RobotInProgress.9782

RobotInProgress.9782

Now I understand that this would not be a priority at this current time with HoT and all but I think its something to consider later down the line.

Before the Clothing Tonics there were Town clothes which people could equip much like the armour that we use, as well as them also being dyeable. However, after a feature pack update last year they we transformed into tonics instead, this left some people unhappy as it now meant that they were no longer dyeable and they were no longer interchangeable. (I am sure I’ve probably missed some other gripes about the change and I’m sure people will be willing to explain what they are in the comments below)

I propose an alternative to tonics which which would at least solve half the issue, change the clothing tonics into outfits! This would allow people to dye the clothing the way they used to and would bring back the customisability that they once had in terms of colour. This means that more people would be likely to use them, currently you hardly see people using the tonics, except occasional at community events,as well as it being something you have to carry around, it takes up space in your inventory.

There is the possible issue of having multiple versions of the tonics (based on the current system of obtaining tonics and those on the trading post(especially the basic ones)), but there would ways of ‘controlling’ these outfits , Such as:
– A fee to convert the existing tonics into the outfits
- Have collections for those who don’t already have them(e.g. newer people (perhaps something like the way people can get Precursors which HoT will provide))
- Gem store purchase (seems like one of the right things to suggest)

I understand that it wouldn’t be the simplest and easiest thing to do, considering how long its been since town clothes where changed to tonics, but I believe that it would be in people’s interests to consider the change.

TL;DR Clothing tonics should be changed to Outfits so people can dye them and feel like using them more often

If you have any further suggestions, complaints or criticisms, do not be afraid to post below

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I do like the town clothes for some races. It always baffled me that previous outfits (which were town cloths as well) made the conversion, but our default set wasn’t.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I brought this topic up a while ago. Still strongly in support of it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

RobotInProgress.9782

I brought this topic up a while ago. Still strongly in support of it.

Do you have a link to your thread so people can see what you have said on the topic?

Rauderi.8706

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Tonics-to-Outfits-It-s-time/

There’s the one I started. It’s not a highly volatile topic, so it hasn’t gotten much attention, but it’s an easy enough request and the consensus is pretty positive.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

It’s a start for some people. Sadly it wouldn’t help me, as I was completely uninterested in the shirt and boots they elected to turn the khaki tonic into. Though, should they introduce radiation exposure in the game, users of that particular tonic would be well protected. I sold mine (along with most of my other clothes) back.

What I ‘would’ like to see is a paid service to re-introduce some of the old mix-n-match clothing options as new outfits. I’d happily pay $50 to pair up the old shirt, shorts, boot options I had put together. Pick my items, they press it as a costume for me, they take my $50. I don’t recall having any ‘clipping’ issues with my outfit, though that sort of thing never bothered me much anyways. I mean, my sheathed staff floats magically 6 inches from my back, as it has in every game I’ve played since old-timey people roamed the earth in search of fire.

Sadly (already used sadly, ‘More’ sadly, I don’t think it has anything to do with money from their end, and more to do with … other things.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Tonics-to-Outfits-It-s-time/

There’s the one I started. It’s not a highly volatile topic, so it hasn’t gotten much attention, but it’s an easy enough request and the consensus is pretty positive.

Doh! Guess I already posted said suggestion back in that old-timey thread.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

they should just make them transmuteable items.
their whole reason for not doing so back when the feature pack happened was that they didn’t want confusion about what weight armour people were wearing,
I.E a warrior running around in cloth could confuse people.

but it seems like thats no longer a valid reason anyway since you can have your warrior wearing cloth and your ele wearing plate

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

they should just make them transmuteable items.
their whole reason for not doing so back when the feature pack happened was that they didn’t want confusion about what weight armour people were wearing,
I.E a warrior running around in cloth could confuse people.

but it seems like thats no longer a valid reason anyway since you can have your warrior wearing cloth and your ele wearing plate

The irony thickens over the statement of Outfits allowing them make them faster, with less clipping issues due to lack variations normally seen in armor sets. Yet thats been the exact problem on almost every outfit since.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This would only be possible for people who bought the original clothes but didn’t ask for a refund.

The current outfit tonics would have to stay tonics, to prevent them being used for profit, and so those who got refunds from their outfits and those who didn’t bought the oufits won’t get them without paying.

Then you put the outfits as neat packages back into the gemstore.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

RobotInProgress.9782

It’s a start for some people. Sadly it wouldn’t help me, as I was completely uninterested in the shirt and boots they elected to turn the khaki tonic into. Though, should they introduce radiation exposure in the game, users of that particular tonic would be well protected. I sold mine (along with most of my other clothes) back.

What I ‘would’ like to see is a paid service to re-introduce some of the old mix-n-match clothing options as new outfits. I’d happily pay $50 to pair up the old shirt, shorts, boot options I had put together. Pick my items, they press it as a costume for me, they take my $50. I don’t recall having any ‘clipping’ issues with my outfit, though that sort of thing never bothered me much anyways. I mean, my sheathed staff floats magically 6 inches from my back, as it has in every game I’ve played since old-timey people roamed the earth in search of fire.

Sadly (already used sadly, ‘More’ sadly, I don’t think it has anything to do with money from their end, and more to do with … other things.

I think I understand what you mean, however, I would find it highly unlikely that Anet would impliment such a thing because it would be purely cosmetic and providing the service at such a costly price would scare people and would probably be seen as a bad move. To take it back to individual skins would become something of an irritant I feel as you would have to unlock every skin, whereas with an outfit it comes as one nice package, almost as if it was intended to look that way (I mean its an outfit so it should look good as a whole right?)

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

I have kept my 3 tonics incase they will fix them some day

RobotInProgress.9782

This would only be possible for people who bought the original clothes but didn’t ask for a refund.

The current outfit tonics would have to stay tonics, to prevent them being used for profit, and so those who got refunds from their outfits and those who didn’t bought the oufits won’t get them without paying.

Then you put the outfits as neat packages back into the gemstore.

The premise for this thread was to come up with some ‘solution’ to allow all people to have access to these clothes as outfits, to have it only available to those who didn’t ask for a refund would make it unobtainable to a large majority of people, at least that’s what I would assume based on your suggestion.

I would also say that the tonics that are currently on sale in the Trading Post could stay there unless they are purchased or revoked, in which that person may either go and exchange it for the outfit version (for a fee of some kind, some amount of gold which may vary depending on the outfit) or they may decide to sell it on the trading post again at a higher price perhaps, as is the way of the trading post :P

I’m not saying that what I have suggested is flawless but I don’t think that excluding people is the best way of going about it

RobotInProgress.9782

I have kept my 3 tonics incase they will fix them some day

That is what this thread’s for ;P

RobotInProgress.9782

Any more thoughts on this idea?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Just to give some economic input:

Those town clothes that were transformed into tonics with the wardrobe change are in limited supply.
There are only as much tonics on the market as people bought town clothes prior to that change and transformed them into tonics via the npc.
Those tonics, as far as i know, are not bound towards your account or character, once you use them, meaning you could buy them, use them as long as you wanted and then sell them, once you are done with it.
But it also means, that there is a limited supply of it and at this point, the number of accounts that bothered to buy town clothes before the wardrobe change that didnt change their town clothes into tonics is greatly outnumbered by accounts that would like to have them.

I have been flipping those tonics since the start of the year and even though its a slow moving market, the profit margins are often more than 50% and due to their already high price between 10-75 gold, i made hundreds, if not thousands of gold with it.
The relative high price for those tonics wasnt really a problem until now, as anybody who bought one for personal use could be more or less sure to sell them with a profit, once he got tired of it as they didnt get bound stayed tradeable.

If you would change those tonics into outfits, it would mean that people, who would want to use those tonics as outfits, would have to destroy those tonics by account binding them, diminishing supply in the process, while no new supply is coming in.

That means they would have to introduce new means of acquiring those tonics, otherwise this would be a change that would only affect a small amount of the player base (due to its limited supply).

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Rauderi.8706

The supply would definitely change dramatically. Consider I’m probably sitting on 20+ of them right now, after all my characters have one from the town clothes conversion. Each character got at least 3 at the time of conversion. So, yeah, the market on some of those tonics would shake up a lot, then eventually climb slowly in a way similar to unidentified dye. If that market ever gets to the point of ridiculously expensive, then it becomes a ripe time to “favor” the players with a gem store release of the outfit so it becomes available again.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

khaki tonic i’d buy!
khaki outfit i’d buy!
come on Anet T.T

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

This has been posted before and I think it’s a great idea. However, I do wonder about the logic that, if all commoner town clothes were made into an outfit, why not make all the former town clothes (now tonics) be made into outfits? Basically, where exactly does it stop and end?

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

/signed

I was also miffed about the colors of my town clothes (especially my silvary’s)

Rauderi.8706

This has been posted before and I think it’s a great idea. However, I do wonder about the logic that, if all commoner town clothes were made into an outfit, why not make all the former town clothes (now tonics) be made into outfits? Basically, where exactly does it stop and end?

That’s what we’ve been asking.
I have more than just the Town Clothes tonic. I and several others got leather hoodies and khaki shorts way back around Southsun’s introduction, and those are tonics now. They used to have dye channels and such, but now they come out very bland, and you can’t do anything in them because of the transformation.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

That’s what we’ve been asking.
I have more than just the Town Clothes tonic. I and several others got leather hoodies and khaki shorts way back around Southsun’s introduction, and those are tonics now. They used to have dye channels and such, but now they come out very bland, and you can’t do anything in them because of the transformation.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I’m questioning the logic behind the suggestion. If the common clothes tonic were made into an outfit, then you could arguably say that other town clothes tonics could be made into tonics, however, there’s a ton of problems that would arise from that conversion because they can be bought and sold without gems. What is the line where you say “ok, no more converting these tonics into outfits?”

If these tonics were converted to outfits, there’d be a buying frenzy and releasing the converted outfits on the gemstore would be unfair due to the gold to gems conversion price discrepancy—unless the prices in gems reflected the approximate value of the outfit’s gold cost in the BLTC but I assume it’s changing fast in such a situation.

Even so, converting existing non-common clothes tonics to outfits would require tons of work if only because of the possible backlash because existing tonics can be bought and sold for gold.

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

Yes, please. I would like to see my town clothes turned into Outfits that all my characters can wear, instead of them taking up space in my bank tabs.

Then again, they’re just gathering dust in my bank tab, because wearing my beloved GW2 dragon shirt now puts me in a dorky pair of booty shorts, and not the nice skirt it did before.

So while we’re at making town clothes outfits and not tonics, maybe we can make outfis modular, so we can mix and match pieces?

Rauderi.8706

If the common clothes tonic were made into an outfit, then you could arguably say that other town clothes tonics could be made into tonics, however, there’s a ton of problems that would arise from that conversion because they can be bought and sold without gems. What is the line where you say “ok, no more converting these tonics into outfits?”

If these tonics were converted to outfits, there’d be a buying frenzy and releasing the converted outfits on the gemstore would be unfair due to the gold to gems conversion price discrepancy—unless the prices in gems reflected the approximate value of the outfit’s gold cost in the BLTC but I assume it’s changing fast in such a situation.

Even so, converting existing non-common clothes tonics to outfits would require tons of work if only because of the possible backlash because existing tonics can be bought and sold for gold.

It wouldn’t even be the first outfit supplied without gems. The hexed outfit was an easily-farmed reward during Halloween 2014, which sets an interesting precedent.

Out of the tonics I’m aware of:
Town Clothes were freely given when the wardrobe system started. Every character that converted got at least 3 tonics, one for each piece of town gear they had. That makes for a huge supply mostly being hidden behind veteran bank accounts. There will be market barons to prey on the non-replenishable nature of them, but the market on them will remain volatile long enough for people who don’t have them to get them at a decent price. I personally have a pocket full of these and would trickle them in for market value, or just give freebies to newer guildies. Limited demand would keep the prices low for a while.

The tonics that sold for gems at the time could be a stickier issue. Their sale prices run several gold right now, so it’s not likely they would be sold directly for gems if they’re still tradeable at the time they convert to outfits. Which means they’d either convert to account bound on acquire and sell for gems, or ANet would likely keep them tradeable and stick them as a reward in Black Lion boxes. Regardless of acquisition method, there will be kvetching. But it also opens up another gem-cash fountain when they do re-release them as outfits.

The issues to resolve:

1. Evaluate economic impact: Sales prices/volatility, Gem Store revenue, gold→gem spikes
  2. Decide on acquisition method: Black Lion keys, gem store, account binding, etc.
  3. Rework assets into outfit format.
  4. Convert tonic items into Outfit items.
  5. Determine release schedule for Outfit items.

The assets themselves are done. A huge bulk of the work has been done already. They could likely crank out conversion in a very short time, and there are (at least) 14 tonics currently awaiting that conversion. That’s over 3 months of weekly, one-at-a-time releases to earn them a decent chunk of cash.

Many alts; handle it!