Suggestion: Toughness as Physical+Condi Def

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

This thread will probably get ignored by developers, but I take my chance:

Everyone whos not running Dire in WvW knows how toxic condi builds are with freecasting and a huge defense.
My suggestion to give it a simple fix; every 10 Toughness points give 0,15% condi damage reduced. My orientation was the 3k-3,5k toughness run with knights or soldier builds which I consider to be defense. So the maximum you can reduce is 45%-52.5% and I think those are acceptable numbers. Berserker and other full damage builds would be able to reduce it by basic given toughness with like 15%.
I suggest the reduction of the damage not the duration, so soft CC is still possible which I consider to be important. You can set those 0,15% on 0,1% of course, its just an example (Maximum lowered damage then: 30-35%).

Pros:

No need to seperate WvW and PvE in this case. I dont know if physical build PvPers would like it. PvE would be automatically uneffected in outgoing condi, incomming condi would be reduced for people with high def armor.

Easy fix for the condi creep. No need for additional stats. No need for new arrangement of existing stats.

Defensive players get rewarded by also being able to sustain condi now.

Strategic softCC still

Cons:

I dont know how PvP people would like this, maybe seperate. A poll could be useful or beta testing.

Many condi users will fill the forum with complains.

To the forum warriors:
If there are more contructive points for Pros and Cons, please let me know and I will edit my list.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

doing this renders certain profs useless, the condi dmg is the only one that doesn’t have any stat stopping this.

Aury.1367

doing this renders certain profs useless, the condi dmg is the only one that doesn’t have any stat stopping this.

Please read my thread again. You get Soldier stats and gain 35%less physical damage, so it should be with condi aswell.

Condi is the easiest way of dealing damage since its just ONE stat providing it.

Posted by: Arkitech.9158

Arkitech.9158

they could buff all condi damage by like 25-50% then make toughness effect condi damage. would be an interesting balance. make build decisions matter more for everyone. idk sounds good to me.

Posted by: Nightmare.1234

Nightmare.1234

pve mobs also use toughness, so it would stop condi altogether been viable in pve over power because of its damage over time statues.

if pvp and wvw is the main issue for condi abuse (I use condi builds a lot in everything) I will agree with them been powerful and require bit less skill to apply that damage. maybe anet just needs give out more condi reduction traits to classes. you see a lot of damage reduction traits and utility skills but not many for reducing condi durations or condi damage.

ways of avoiding direct damage and limiting damage
evades, blocks, invun, reflects, absorbs and blind, % damage reductions, protection

ways of avoiding condi application and limiting condi damage
Blocks, invun, evades, reflects, absorbs, blind, % damage reduction, resistance, condi cleanse, % duration reductions, condi convert to boons, condi transfer

the balance is fine, yes condi as powerful reductions in resistance and condi cleanse/converts and transfers but its damage can still work through blocks,inv,evades,reflects,absorbs and blinds to compensate. the issue is classes have better access to direct damage reductions over condi reductions

you can make a tanky build for most proffesions but you cant make a Condi tank for most proffesions.

boon transfer necro, mayllx rev with jails trait, condi cleanse,healing ele, condi cleanse mantra chrono etc

the issue with these builds is you sacrifice a lot just to gain some survival against condi
where as damage reduction stuff is available in a lot of utility and traits passively making it easy to create any type of build and still have some access to damage reduction.

only real solution is to add more condi damage and reduction to traits, buff some runes and make a sigil for reduced condi damage and target classes with nerfs that have very high multi condi applications (looking at you necro)

Death Good

Posted by: Nightmare.1234

Nightmare.1234

Condi is the easiest way of dealing damage since its just ONE stat providing it.

TWO stats you forgetting expertise, the duration is a massive dps boost

Death Good

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Four – Condition Damage, Expertise, Toughness and Vitality. Without a high health pool and defense, a condition user goes down fast.

The direct counter is to have more HP – more vitality.

As someone who plays pure power builds, I accept that my zerker everything will melt sometimes when faced with conditions.

This is operating as it should be, and the OP just has a severe case of needing to L2P.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Dear devs, paper is out of control, must nerf.

Sincerely, rock

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

Well, obviously condition base damage would have to be raised making the current damage the average damage (or damage to an averagely armored characted), so low armored targets would die faster to conditions.

- Condition duration effects would have to go, as you’re already reducing condition damage through toughness.

And if you’re equalizing power and condition then resistance should be changed to
reduce condition damage by 33% (like protection does for power) rather than fully negating it. So no more condition immunity, that’d be nice.

And condition removal would probably have to be removed (for damaging conditions).

Or you could accept that Power and Condition damage are 2 different things, having different ways to mitigate them. And that “conditions” are not, and will never be, a balance problem, the balance problem (when there is one) will generally be induvidual skills, possibly (rarely) induvidual conditions (say, burning), and maybe (though probably not) an single entire class.

Aury.1367

they could buff all condi damage by like 25-50% then make toughness effect condi damage. would be an interesting balance. make build decisions matter more for everyone. idk sounds good to me.

so you can onehit zerker users with condi? seriously?

Aury.1367

Sincerely, rock

Yep. There is no kittening scissor.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Sincerely, rock

There’s offensive builds (zerker), defensive builds (bunker) and DOT builds (condi). From what I’ve read, each build is good against one and not so good against the other. You seem to be asking for Rock (bunker) to be able to shake off damage from both zerker bursts and condi DOTs. It may not be the best possible system, but they’ve set it up this way on purpose.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

As a Knight Necro, I love this idea. :P

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Point of order: The surest way to get a thread ignored is to whine about being ignored. That becomes self-fulfilling prophecy; I know I’m not the only one who stopped reading there. I would humbly suggest studying How to Give Good Feedback in depth.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Sincerely, rock

There’s offensive builds (zerker), defensive builds (bunker) and DOT builds (condi). From what I’ve read, each build is good against one and not so good against the other. You seem to be asking for Rock (bunker) to be able to shake off damage from both zerker bursts and condi DOTs. It may not be the best possible system, but they’ve set it up this way on purpose.

So what would you call a shaman apoth burn ranger with smokescale?

I don’t think GW2 has a Holy Trinity setup.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Aury.1367

Sincerely, rock

So what would you call a shaman apoth burn ranger with smokescale?

I don’t think GW2 has a Holy Trinity setup.

Exactly theres no counter triangle. A Dire build is hard to counter with both, bunker and attack. Go full nomad then with full cleanse? Ye, depends on the class. But its an endless fight since you cant damage anything except envoirmental creatures.