Suggestion: Turn 'biconic' into 'kitten'

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I can’t stand to see a word intended to describe a certain shape used to refer to characters. It’s turning me off the forum, and off people who use it.

Please, let the forum filter put a stop to this aberration. Posts reading “I hate the kittens” or “The kittens are stealing my thunder” will make me smile again.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

That’s what censorship does, the censor blocker becomes the joke, and everyone sees an swear word in it’s place…

Like example: drowning kittens on regular basis or eating fried kittens for breakfast.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

To be honest, people should not be swearing on the forums in my opinion, even if the word gets censored to ‘baby cat’. Swearing is a very rude thing to do, especially on the official forums, and the fact that it gets censored shouldn’t be an excuse since the intent is still visible.

Some of the ways people speak on this forum disgusts me, they speak to ArenaNet and other players in a rude manner, yet wouldn’t speak like that in a job interview or to their boss, or to their teacher.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Manasa Devi.7958

This thread isn’t about censorship, it’s about education. Marjory, Kasmeer, Rox, Braham and Taimi aren’t shaped like 2 cones connected at the bases (biconic).

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Write it out correctly then, B-iconics.

?

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Manasa Devi.7958

That’s better. Just like no one in their right mind has ever written about people considered “b-listers” as “blisters”. Hyphens are there for a reason.

I say “better”, but I still have a problem with “iconic”. I wouldn’t use a word of such magnitude myself. There’s really nothing “iconic” about those guys.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

That word confused me for the longest time. I thought people were using it specifically to refer to Marjory and Kasmeer as bisexual icons. (Which still didn’t really make sense since as far as I’m aware neither of them is interested in men.)

Personally I prefer to simply say ‘main characters’. It gets the point across without any confusing buzz words.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

For those who didn’t know, the term “biconics” to refer to Kasmeer, Brahan, Rox, Marjory and Taimi was first coined by one of the ArenaNet writers during an interview. It did not originate with the players.
Because Rytlock, Eir, Caithe, Logan and Zojja were already referred to by ArenaNet as the “iconics”, the Living Story cast were the “second group of iconics”, which was shortened to the punny “biconics” (with “bi” being ancient Greek for “two”).

Any incorrect use and confusing meanings of the word can be attributed to them.

Personally, I hope that the group of characters will be given an in-game name (for example, if they founded a guild), so that this would make this corny developer-pun obsolete.
(And no, I don’t believe “Delaqua Investigations” would cut it.)

(edited by Jornophelanthas.1475)

Rouven.7409

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Personally, I hope that the group of characters will be given an in-game name (for example, if they founded a guild), so that this would make this corny developer-pun obsolete.

Either “Destiny’s Kitten” or “Kitten’s Edge”.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

“biconics” (with “bi” being ancient Greek for “two”).

Ahhh .. and i always thought it meant b-iconics like b-movies .. because people wanted to say they are bad/worse than the others with that.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

I still don’t get the connection between the word ‘biconics’ and the investigation group.
Can someone elaborate, so a person with english as second language could understand?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I still don’t get the connection between the word ‘biconics’ and the investigation group.
Can someone elaborate, so a person with english as second language could understand?

Biconics is supposed to be written as b-iconics.

In English letters are often used as a prefix to show importance (probably derived from the school grading system where results are given as letters, with A being the best, then B, then C, then D etc.)

So for example extremely famous movie stars are called ‘A-listers’ implying they’re ‘first’ or most important. Then less famous ones are ‘B-listers’ etc. (Sometimes people will call an actor a ‘Z-lister’ as a way of implying they’re so obscure they’re right at the bottom of ‘the list’.)

Same idea here. Apparently Anet called Destiny’s Edge the ‘iconics’ of the story to the core game. So since Marjory, Kasmeer, Taimi, Rox and Braham are a second Destiny’s Edge for the second story they’re the ‘b-iconics’.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Rouven.7409

Rox, Braham, Marjory, Kasmeer, and Taimi are referred to internally as “B-Iconics” (or Biconics) as opposed to our “A-Iconics” or main iconic characters, Caithe, Rytlock, Eir, Zojja, and Logan.

From the link of my previous post here.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

For those who didn’t know, the term “biconics” to refer to Kasmeer, Brahan, Rox, Marjory and Taimi was first coined by one of the ArenaNet writers during an interview. It did not originate with the players.
Because Rytlock, Eir, Caithe, Logan and Zojja were already referred to by ArenaNet as the “iconics”, the Living Story cast were the “second group of iconics”, which was shortened to the punny “biconics” (with “bi” being ancient Greek for “two”).

That… clears up so much. o_O
Thanks for the intel. I was having as much of an issue as the OP on this one, and my brain was going into family-unfriendly places with it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632