Suggestion: Upgrade Extractor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Myrias.8732

Myrias.8732

In this day and age the Upgrade Extractor really needs an update…

wiki link: Upgrade Extractor

250 gems for 1 use fyi (I wonder what the numbers are for people actually buying these)

Keep in mind the following has changed:
– ascended gear can now be salvaged (has anyone NOT gotten sigil/rune back??)
– Fractal mastery allows purchase of cheap extractor to remove infusions

The reasons for needing the gemstore extractor have gotten even more limited, and honestly a change should be made. I feel like the following changes make the most sense:
– lower price of the single-use extractors by a factor of 10 (25 gems is roughly 4 gold, and still not worth it 95% of the time)
– release an unlimited use extractor, and add a cost per use (like salvage-o-matic) (yes I know this has been suggested before)

An unlimited seems like the best option given the following:
– removing infusions can already be done cheaply
– sigil/runes can be returned from ascended gear via salvage cheaply

Concerns against unlimited:
– karma gear runes can be extracted and sold
– ???

Adding a cost per use (make it 1g, same as an ascended salvage kit), you would lose money by extracting karma runes/sigils. Buying gear off the TP to salvage and sell mats is already not cost effective, so that isn’t a concern either.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on something like this? I know Anet would get more gems out of me if these were implemented.

Myrias Faust – Mesmer
Victory or Death [VoD] – Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

If they just made it 25 uses for 250 gems (about 41 gold, so 1.6 gold per use) it would actually be worth it to buy to recover most upgrades that are used.

[rant]I just want to know what was going through their heads when they made it 250 gems FOR A SINGLE USE. Who the hell would actually pay for that? The only reason to use an upgrade extractor would be to save money by recovering an upgrade, but they make it cost 4 times as much as the most expensive upgrades… This item infuriates me because it’s so nonsensical. I used to hope for an item to remove upgrades without salvaging and then when they finally add one this is the trash we get.[/rant]

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

(edited by Gilburt.9146)

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

Sounds logical and useful to me.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Myrias.8732

Myrias.8732

Agreed Gilburt, 10 uses would be better than what we have now by far.

Ironically the people who would most likely use these kits are people with legendary gear… Seems bad that the players who invested a lot in their gear are the ones most effected.

The other choices (in terms of requiring extractors) are karma gear (I’m not aware of any of them having runes worth more than a few silver) and WvW gear…

I’m still rather baffled by the WvW one. Just remove ectos from their drop table and let people salvage them… done.

Myrias Faust – Mesmer
Victory or Death [VoD] – Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Jia Shen.4217

Jia Shen.4217

It never made sense to me to have a gem store item that does this anyway. If you are going to sell the upgrade the odds are good you get the upgrade from the item and you obviously don’t care about the item if you are extracting the upgrade to sell. I assume the reasoning behind the gem store item was to extract an upgrade you want from an item you want to keep to put a different upgrade in it. And in this point the gem store offer fails because the cost to buy it vs the cost to just buy the upgrade you want to extract again is not inline.

With that said do away with the gem store thing and just have a kit we buy from the NPCs for whatever price in silver or what not is considered reasonable. An unlimited use version could be in the gem store for like 500 gems for example for those that really do this a lot for whatever reason. I personally only had one time ever that I wanted to get the upgrade out to put on something else but also wanted to retain the item the upgrade was in. So I really don’t see the point of an unlimited gem store thing for this. However a kit at the NPCs in game does make sense for these one off times. Otherwise we would do just what I did in that one time and buy the upgrade again for the other item and replace the one in the existing item with the new one I wanted in it.