[Suggestion]Useful Magic Find

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Let’s be honest here, almost nobody gets something good out of mobs. Of course there is exceptions and some people get precursors, but in the most part Magic find is a waste because the loot is not affected by magic find.

That’s what most people thinks nowadays, and even if that is not true (because obviously magic find indeed help us to get a little better loot), that’s what we think. We only cap magic find as it was another achievement, not because we know in our hearts that we will get something better. We will still get crap out of most of our loot.

But what if we problem that we face is not statistical, but it’s psichological? Leave behind the statistics for a seconds and what happens is a simple fact of discouraging due to the fact that magic find doesn’t affect Chests or Bags.
Most people farming aren’t just killing enemies, their focus is entirely on getting bags, getting chests or something simillar. I understand that how it works now it’s by design to make everyone have the same chances, but that doesn’t mean that it’s a good design.

So here’s my suggestion: Update magic find to affect chests and bags.

Cons

• Probably you need to tweak a lot of code.
  • Might sound unfair to fresh new players.
    • (But it’s actually now unfair to veterans in most of the cases. Watching a new player getting a really good weapon while you might be 100 days getting kitten just because your chances are same as low doesn’t really keep you encouraged to keep playing).

Pros

• By making magic find useful, people that wants better chances can actively work towards it by increasing their magic find. And people that doesn’t want can just ignore it, the player can choose.
  • The new players as well will get better items while they are increasing their magic find, that’s true progression and would feel fine instead of feel discouraged when they realize that chests aren’t affected by it.

Any feedback is welcome, and i might add more cons or pros in the future depending on the posts of this thread.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en espaƱol / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

Posted by: Don Zardeone.8730

Don Zardeone.8730

Another way to make it more useful is higher mob density. I can just run through entire areas and ignore all the mobs because there are so few of them. I do some casual gathering runs on my ranger, here’s how it goes down:

- I enter an area, move towards nodes
- Since I run speed sigil on weapons, I 1-tab-1-tab-1-tab-1 between mobs with my longbow to get them all to gather on me.
- I drop a flame trap while I gather the node.
- My pet kills stuff while I gather and I do a last few hits with sword or bow.

I like doing this because I get the occasional piece of chicken or a claw or some meat and it also gives me minutes of swiftness which is nice.

I can’t do this on my other dudes because they lack the range and it wouldn’t be very efficient. So my other dudes pretty much ignore mobs altogether or kill the single one that follows and reaches me while I gather a node.

My point is that there are so few mobs anywhere that magic find doesn’t get to proc much and therefore isn’t useful or as useful as it was before the orr-nerf that lowered mob density tremendously.

With the shift to more bag-based looting, MF is even less useful.

So what I’d like to see is higher mob density. This makes the world a bit more dangerous but also more rewarding. I kind of miss doing small havoc teams in Cursed Shore because moving by yourself was hazardous.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

MF is either:

• Useful or
  • Not useful.

If it’s the first, sure, extend it so that it applies to containers, too — no reason for us to be confused about when it applies versus when it doesn’t. On the other hand, if you think it’s “not useful,” then why bother extending it?

However, the OP missed what ANet will consider is the the two primary cons:

1. Changing MF to affect all loot will have a huge impact on the economy, in both major and subtle ways. It will sharply increase the amount of certain types of stuff (and decrease amounts for other things).
  2. It would cause major upset around the super-rare drops, such as BL scraps/tickets, Mini Gwynefyrdd, poly-lumi jewels, and so on.

Thus, extending MF to apply to container loot would force ANet to rebalance the rewards for all those containers (which would be a nightmare) and it’s likely to create havoc among the masses of people who didn’t maximize their MF. (There are already several threads of complaints about the perception that some accounts are ‘too lucky’ while others are ‘too unlucky’.)

tl;dr I welcome MF applying consistently (to decrease confusion), but I doubt very much it’s going to happen.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If magic find was extended to containers so you could get the good loot, then how long does that loot stay good? The loot is almost always good because scarcity has driven up prices. If everyone is getting these items more frequently and putting them up for sale in the trading post, then the prices are going to drop, the loot will no longer be good, and everyone will be back where they started from.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Or Anet could simply raise the drop rates from the typical koren style game 0,001% to actually drop rates, that make sense, and that would get influenced better actualyl by Magic Find.

Because 300% of 0,001 % Drop Rate just changes it to 0,003% drop rate, really effective plus that you get there >.> /facepalm.

Magic Find in itself should get baselined into the achievement Point reward system and the Daily Loging Reward for the last day of the month.

Instead of +1% MF Account Boost, it should raise the MF by +5% (retroactively naturally also too) when you reach a AP point that rewards with MF.
So people which had like 10% MF prior the change, have after it then 50% MF from their achievement point rewarded MF bonus.
The Luck Essence Grind should get removed. The 300% Max MF that you can get there get baselined into the Account Bonus that you can get via the last day login bonus if you decide to take the chest that rewards you with additional Magic Find. 10%, what is equal to 30 months of playing and login in daily, what basically everyone who plays GW2 actively since release should easily have by now (or soon)
(Players will be able basically 30x to choose such a chest after their first login after the patch) So players which don’t care for MF, could also decide to take rather 30x 20 (= 600) Laurels or 30x materials for legendary craftign or 30 times mystic coins and so on what would be a very nice retroactive step to reward players for their activity and loyality to play the game since release date with that slight redesign of the MF system via integration of it into the daily login bonus system retroactively.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

You people need to stop getting your panties in a bunch because you didn’t get one particular rare item. Just sell the stuff you get, buy what you want, and don’t worry about whether you hit the jackpot and get a precursor because that magic find is turning fines into masterworks and masterworks into rares. It’s turning T5 crafting mats into T6, which are worth 10-15 times as much. I’m perfectly happy to get T6 mats. That money adds up!

Or Anet could simply raise the drop rates from the typical koren style game 0,001% to actually drop rates, that make sense, and that would get influenced better actualyl by Magic Find.

That’s a terrible idea. If ANet were to change drop rates so that it’s possible for any given person to reliably get any given item, then it would mean the item would be on the trading post for next to nothing because too many people who don’t want it would find it.

That’s why the game is set up with a trading post, and items are so rare. If you find something you don’t want, you’re meant to sell it to someone who does want it. If you want something, you’re meant to buy it. If you don’t like that, then farm dungeon tokens instead.

(edited by Strill.2591)

Posted by: Geneaux.9547

Geneaux.9547

You people need to stop getting your panties in a bunch because you didn’t get one particular rare item. Just sell the stuff you get, buy what you want, and don’t worry about whether you hit the jackpot and get a precursor because that magic find is turning fines into masterworks and masterworks into rares. It’s turning T5 crafting mats into T6, which are worth 10-15 times as much. I’m perfectly happy to get T6 mats. That money adds up!

Oh get off your high horse. You sound like one of those individuals that get hit by a stroke of luck and is afraid of change because his narrow-mindedness, clouded judgement, and complacency, has never seen the complete mediocrity that is RNG, ie. see Destiny.

Typical shill attitude.

That’s a terrible idea. If ANet were to change drop rates so that it’s possible for any given person to reliably get any given item, then it would mean the item would be on the trading post for next to nothing because too many people who don’t want it would find it.

That is a superior idea. Making things difficult to obtain by means of drop rate itself is stupid these days anyway. Why? Because it breeds the same desolate and terrible gaming environments that Korean MMOs have created. It’s why ANet has taken the route of making precursors craftable, not easy, but craftable. You have uniqueness and rarity just like that.

There is not one kitten unique thing about grinding the Mystic Forge or buying a precursors of TP. Stop arguing nonsense.

That’s why the game is set up with a trading post, and items are so rare. If you find something you don’t want, you’re meant to sell it to someone who does want it. If you want something, you’re meant to buy it. If you don’t like that, then farm dungeon tokens instead.

“Man this jungle in the expansion better look so good it gives me flashbacks to Nam.”
Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Knights of Ares [ARES]

(edited by Geneaux.9547)