[Suggestion] Vanity items to buy with karma

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

The cap currency thread got me thinking once again about things we could use karma for.

Wouldn’t it be pretty cool if we could buy items similar to the halo and horns, and buffs that put a visible effect around your body (like the one we had when we were fight scarlet.)

They could cost something like 15-25k karma and expire after 2 weeks of use, and you then have to buy them again, acting as a karma sink. I’m not suggesting those numbers, I just wrote that to give a better example of what I’m talking about.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I would be fine with new consumables bought with karma, if they have a limited time effect.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

I would be fine for anything to spend some of my 500,000 karma on. Especially things that can be fun toys.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Anything to spend it on would be great right about now.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

well legendaries? they are vanity items pur sang… only need 1.5M karma for 1… have fun.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Wouldn’t it be pretty cool if we could buy items similar to the halo and horns, and buffs that put a visible effect around your body (like the one we had when we were fight scarlet.)

The thing is, imagine you are ArenaNet. You can create cool looking new stuff, and then you have an option:

• Make it available in game for karma, so people have something interesting to use karma for

Or…

• Make it available in the Gem Store, so people give you money for it

Which one would ArenaNet choose?

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Permanent unlocks are always better. But I see your point, temporary visual effects for karma. Maybe even “personality” stuff like “charm”, “ferocity”, “dignity” buffs/effects.

I have always been more of a fan of some vanity skins, minis and stuff which are not required but are nice to get if you have some extra millions of karma to spend, though.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

There are a bunch of karma unique skins to buy. Then there is the Balthazaar mini.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I’d love to see more things for karma. I raised the same question a few weeks ago. I’m a bit of a hoarder with karma, I have like 4.5 million. But on my server there are people with more than 10 mill. Nothing to spent it on

Lishtenbird.2814

There are a bunch of karma unique skins to buy.

…which you easily get from Fractals anyway.

Then there is the Balthazaar mini.

If only the Balthazar outfit was sold for karma…

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

I bought 10,000 black beans from Seraph Medic guy in Gendaren Fields…

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If the item is desirable enough to sell in the gem store, why on EARTH would Anet make it obtainable for Karma? The request might as well be for them to flush some potential revenue down the Mystic Toilet.

Limited time Buff items are a possibility, but much wanted skins will NEVER show up like this. I guess I could see new SETS of weapons and armor being available from Karma vendors in the new HoT maps, but not specialty vanity items.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Lishtenbird.2814

If the item is desirable enough to sell in the gem store, why on EARTH would Anet make it obtainable for Karma? The request might as well be for them to flush some potential revenue down the Mystic Toilet.

Because happy loyal players are worth more in the long run than today’s cash grab.

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

Because happy loyal players are worth more in the long run than today’s cash grab.

Not really. You forget that most of the current generation is ok and used to “dlc” and “extra items” and “half-baked games”. EA prime example. Companies know they can get away with it, and that people are dumb enough to keep coming back

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Because they can make it obtainable for karma when certain conditions are met.

Take a look at Queensdale. You can buy most (all, maybe?) of the centaur style weapons in that zone, but some of the vendors for them are only around when certain places are held by the Seraph. If the centaurs hold those places, you can’t get the skins there.

There are currently pictures going around of the new “Makeshift” weapon skins that are going to be in the game at some point, likely as part of HoT. I strongly suspect that they’ll be put into the game this way, you have to clear events to access the merchants that sell them, and the merchants will be scattered across the zone(s).

Let’s also remember that not everyone has huge piles of karma sitting around. Newer players may find themselves needing to earn more to get the things they want, if there’s enough good things to spend it on. And you can’t get karma from cashing in gems or getting a lucky drop. You can’t get it by killing random things as you pass through. You have to do events (and some dailies, but they don’t give much) to get the karma you need.

Part of the idea behind karma was to get people to want to do events. That idea’s still there, and adding in new skins on karma merchants is a step in that direction.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

Permanent reusable versions for 1 mil a pop? I’ll buy 6!

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

Because they can make it obtainable for karma when certain conditions are met.

Take a look at Queensdale. You can buy most (all, maybe?) of the centaur style weapons in that zone, but some of the vendors for them are only around when certain places are held by the Seraph. If the centaurs hold those places, you can’t get the skins there.

There are currently pictures going around of the new “Makeshift” weapon skins that are going to be in the game at some point, likely as part of HoT. I strongly suspect that they’ll be put into the game this way, you have to clear events to access the merchants that sell them, and the merchants will be scattered across the zone(s).

Let’s also remember that not everyone has huge piles of karma sitting around. Newer players may find themselves needing to earn more to get the things they want, if there’s enough good things to spend it on. And you can’t get karma from cashing in gems or getting a lucky drop. You can’t get it by killing random things as you pass through. You have to do events (and some dailies, but they don’t give much) to get the karma you need.

Part of the idea behind karma was to get people to want to do events. That idea’s still there, and adding in new skins on karma merchants is a step in that direction.

You know though as being a part of HoT that means it’s not FREE and you had to pay for it(aka paying for the expansions). His point still stands that they’re not just going to give something “cooL” away for free if they can make money on it, that’s just dumb.

Players would like to see it as “appeasing the playerbase” but we all know you guys aren’t going to quit over that.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

You know though as being a part of HoT that means it’s not FREE and you had to pay for it(aka paying for the expansions). His point still stands that they’re not just going to give something “cooL” away for free if they can make money on it, that’s just dumb.

Well, you do have a point there.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: ArtemisJade.9068

ArtemisJade.9068

I like the OP’s idea. Personally I would love to do more with all of that karma I have saved up.

To survive this world you must be mad as a hatter. Luckily for me, I am positively insane.

Posted by: Kedarrian.2905

Kedarrian.2905

I like OP’s line of thinking.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Ah, so you classify one of the ONLY ways Anet can actually generate revenue to keep the servers running as “today’s cash grab”? Good to know.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Limited time Buff items are a possibility, but much wanted skins will NEVER show up like this. I guess I could see new SETS of weapons and armor being available from Karma vendors in the new HoT maps, but not specialty vanity items.

The thing is, imagine you are ArenaNet. You can create cool looking new stuff, and then you have an option:

• Make it available in game for karma, so people have something interesting to use karma for

Or…

• Make it available in the Gem Store, so people give you money for it

Which one would ArenaNet choose?

Make the ones from karma merchants soulbound on top of their expiration date, and sale perma account bound ones on the gemstore?

Other than that, you guys acting as if they never release non gemstore skins/items. :p

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

I hope this was sarcasm cause it gave me a chuckle if it were.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

It’s a good idea to have a karma sink but I hope the Halo or Horns don’t appear for sale even for a limited time usage basis. These items were only available by farming in occupied LA everyday for around a fortnight and during a limited time period. The ever increasing rareness is part of what makes them special and I always wear my Halo with pride.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.