*Suggestion* Volunteer Staffing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Radakill.3469

Radakill.3469

You guys in the dev corner seem to have alot on your plate, I look around at all of whats going on in the forums as well as in game, the workload must be enormous.

I have seen in the past other MMO’s have had similar situations and their solutions for staffing have turned to their player base for help.

Im sure there are those out there right now that would love to volunteer some (or alot) of time to help make the game a better place. Why not reach out and get some FREE help?

There has to be SOME things that people could do right from their own homes that would be a huge benefit. Start a volunteer program and reduce some of that workload.

What say you!?

Posted by: Darox.8069

Darox.8069

Let players design the PvE content !!

I’ve suggested this before: use a “workshop” framework where new dungeon creations can be tested for a reward and once highly rated enough anet gives them a proper loot table. It’s all win for everybody: we get content that we want and they still control the loots

Radakill.3469

Let players design the PvE content !!

I’ve suggested this before: use a “workshop” framework where new dungeon creations can be tested for a reward and once highly rated enough anet gives them a proper loot table. It’s all win for everybody: we get content that we want and they still control the loots

My thinking was more of helping with their current workload in areas such as reading emails, editing posts, filtering information etc…

Not so say that what your suggesting isnt viable, it could be similar to what some of those F2P devs are doing with player built instances.

Im sure there are really smart people out there too that probably COULD help in design, even if its just for a letter of recommendation at some point. How broad of a program they would be willing to open up is up to them, if any.

All I can say is, if it were me, I would jump on a chance at free help if people are willing. Start it out small and see where it goes from there. It could reduce workload that in turn, could speed up the process of needed in game content/fixes etc…

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

So this is basically -
“ArenaNet you’re incompetent at your job and having said that I offer my services.” Is that close to what this thread is about? Granted you did sugar coat it… but that’s still the heart of your opening post.

I’m unhappy with ArenaNet of late, I feel they can do so much better, but I would never suggest such a thing as this. If they wished for the aid of their customers, they would do so. They have the means and could create far more. If you or others want to go beyond what we, as customers, can already do for ArenaNet/NCsoft – then perhaps try applying for employment?

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Darox.8069

Oh god I would be so good in helping to “filter moderation”
I can’t wait to start working hand in hand with Danicia

Radakill.3469

So this is basically -
“ArenaNet you’re incompetent at your job and having said that I offer my services.” Is that close to what this thread is about? Granted you did sugar coat it… but that’s still the heart of your opening post.

I’m unhappy with ArenaNet of late, I feel they can do so much better, but I would never suggest such a thing as this. If they wished for the aid of their customers, they would do so. They have the means and could create far more. If you or others want to go beyond what we, as customers, can already do for ArenaNet/NCsoft – then perhaps try applying for employment?

WOW

REALLY???

LOL

Im simply implying they might have alot to do with a limited budget…. GOOD GOD..

I feel for your spouse if you happen to be married… the poor guy (or gal) saying “good moring” and you “what do you mean GOOD MORNING!?!?! are you suggesting something!?? Are you INSINUATING that Im supposed to be GOOD today?? huh?? HUH???”

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

So this is basically -

WOW

REALLY???

LOL

Im simply implying they might have alot to do with a limited budget…. GOOD GOD..

I feel for your spouse if you happen to be married… the poor guy (or gal) saying “good moring” and you “what do you mean GOOD MORNING!?!?! are you suggesting something!?? Are you INSINUATING that Im supposed to be GOOD today?? huh?? HUH???”

I Lol’d so hard at this, as I can actually SEE this LOL

Darox.8069

But realistically speaking, the budget is not the only constraint they have

Radakill.3469

But realistically speaking, the budget is not the only constraint they have

Im sure it isnt, someone would have to sit down and run the numbers along with coming up with an outline that would justify the whole thing.

Generally speaking though, with any business that has employees, the payroll is a huge part of their budget, and tasking one person out to run a program that could save them some cash while helping clear the “todo” stack of paperwork on their desk, or help manage a server population, whatever..who knows.. it might be a viable thing to consider.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

There’s not much we can really do short of reporting bugs, and maybe collating links to suggestions in a single thread every now and then.

For obvious reasons, they aren’t going to be allowing volunteers access to the games code, so that cuts your suggestion of helping to fix bugs.

As much as I’d like to see something like it, I can’t really see them implementing a player-content creation tool; not only would it be a lot of work (not just creating the framework and everything – since the game wasn’t built with this function in mind – but also the assets, player tools, AI ect), but they also got to consider whether it’s worth investing the resources into creating it. I’d say it’s a net loss if they devote, say half a year, to implementing it and only 100-odd people use it. While that seems a lot, how many of them 100 do you think would be capable of creating content of a decent quality?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Darox.8069

Well there is always more we can do. For example, about the Lingering Element trait for eles, I whined on the forum really hard, I got many infraction points, but they finally “fixed” it I am proud of my contribution to the game!

Posted by: serapheles.5409

serapheles.5409

Last I saw, they were looking for interns. Not quite what you are suggesting, it’s somewhat relevant.

The Random Number Gods are nothing if not predictable.
Crafting is designed for gear accessibility, not profit.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

There’s something of a precedent for this, in that it’s been done for a while in Age of Conan (the Followers of Asura, funnily enough), and in the Secret World (I don’t know about other games, mind, but it wouldn’t surprise me).

(http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Followers_of_Asura)

I don’t think it need be as in-depth as the FoA, but as I said, there is a precedent. Maybe one day it can be done here, should Anet judge it appropriate.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Radakill.3469

There’s not much we can really do short of reporting bugs, and maybe collating links to suggestions in a single thread every now and then.

Well thats…. great! Thanks….. uh.. right, Im glad thats official now.

For obvious reasons, they aren’t going to be allowing volunteers access to the games code, so that cuts your suggestion of helping to fix bugs.

I never suggested this.

Another poster MIGHT have been implying that they implement a development tool that allows for in game player design, similar to what games such as STO does for example.

No one has suggested players have access to or rights to altering code to fix bugs.

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

I already talked to a few employees about doing some kind of free work for them such as combating the gold sellers, testing upcoming builds, and so forth but I was turned down. They want people to work for them on-site no matter what you want to help them with. I figured working for free would be a big gain for them but its a little more complicated than I expected.

Maguuma Guardian

Radakill.3469

There’s something of a precedent for this, in that it’s been done for a while in Age of Conan (the Followers of Asura, funnily enough), and in the Secret World (I don’t know about other games, mind, but it wouldn’t surprise me).

(http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Followers_of_Asura)

I don’t think it need be as in-depth as the FoA, but as I said, there is a precedent. Maybe one day it can be done here, should Anet judge it appropriate.

It was done in the original EQ for awhile, I dunno if they implemented it in EQ2 or not. Volunteers could actually be server helpers and respond to players /help requests, among other things.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Not to rain on your parade, but I don’t trust the regular player/costumer to do a very good job at anything for the game.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

TheDaiBish.9735

No need for the snark. Where did I say it was official?

Of course, unless you got some other suggestions as to what we can do to help, off-site, without access to any documentation.

I never suggested this.

Another poster MIGHT have been implying that they implement a development tool that allows for in game player design, similar to what games such as STO does for example.

No one has suggested players have access to or rights to altering code to fix bugs.

Well, you mentioned, and I quote: “It could reduce workload that in turn, could speed up the process of needed in game content/fixes etc…”

How can anyone do that without accessing the game’s code?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Radakill.3469

No need for the snark. Where did I say it was official?

Of course, unless you got some other suggestions as to what we can do to help, off-site, without access to any documentation.

I never suggested this.

Well, you mentioned, and I quote: “It could reduce workload that in turn, could speed up the process of needed in game content/fixes etc…”

How can anyone do that without accessing the game’s code?

Heres how. In most places of business, employees are tasked to do several things. Not just one thing, several things. And when it gets REALLY busy, employers often times cannot keep up with the demand for a larger staff… SO, what happens is, the extra workload gets distributed around.

By having more people around to do the extra work, this has the effect of decreasing workload for EVERYONE.

Now, I dont know how ArenaNets place of business operates, but its a fair guess that developers and programmers have more to do then just sit around and punch in code.

There are outside sources of information, both in source and outsource. Emails, suggestions, feedback, all this stuff is coming across their desk, for example. Do they have paid employees to analyze, sort, edit and compile all of this? I dunno, maybe, maybe they do it themselves.

There are always little things that even important people do that could cut down on workload if someone was to do it for them, and help them save time for doing the important things.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I don’t think it would work with actual workload items. The infrastructure needed for remote jobs like that would be something they’d probably have to create (or at least adapt), and there’s also the legal ramifications when you get people working for you for free (not sure how the US system works, if it’s anything like the venezuelan labor laws you’d still need to pay benefits, social security, taxes and all that stuff even if they’re considered voluntary workers).

Not to mention the security risks, they’d need someone to go over everything coming and going to the volunteers just to make sure nothing that’s supposed to stay internal comes out. Just as a quick example, a dev once mentioned about probably looking into the conditions cap (just as an example, don’t mean to start a discussion about it), and there have been complains about “anet lying about promising a fix for the conditions cap!!!”.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

TheDaiBish.9735

Heres how. In most places of business, employees are tasked to do several things. Not just one thing, several things. And when it gets REALLY busy, employers often times cannot keep up with the demand for a larger staff… SO, what happens is, the extra workload gets distributed around.

By having more people around to do the extra work, this has the effect of decreasing workload for EVERYONE.

Now, I dont know how ArenaNets place of business operates, but its a fair guess that developers and programmers have more to do then just sit around and punch in code.

There are outside sources of information, both in source and outsource. Emails, suggestions, feedback, all this stuff is coming across their desk, for example. Do they have paid employees to analyze, sort, edit and compile all of this? I dunno, maybe, maybe they do it themselves.

There are always little things that even important people do that could cut down on workload if someone was to do it for them, and help them save time for doing the important things.

I’m aware of how businesses work.

If I remember correctly, they talked about how they make decisions before (although I wouldn’t quote me on it since I don’t have proof).

Something about how the community team (as well as the devs when they can spare the time) compiled things from the forum, and then produced it into documentation for the leads in the different areas (content development, economy ect) when they had their meetings as to what’s happening, progress on certain things ect. They’d then plan from there what they’d be doing, and relay to their teams.

Now, while I’m sure this is how it works, as I said it’s not gospel. Hence why I personally think the only things we can

Aside from this, we’ve got all of the issues which come with volunteer staff: legal issues, trusting complete strangers with access to documentation belonging to the company ect.

Hence why I said the only things we could really do are report bugs and compile suggestions on the forum, although this could be extended to feedback as well.

As for things such as helping by answering questions in-game should be a no-brainer, not as a thing to help the company, but as something to build a good community.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

I have seen in the past other MMO’s have had similar situations and their solutions for staffing have turned to their player base for help.

So what MMOs are you referring to? I remember Ultima Online had a system of “Counselors” which were basically players that fulfilled the role of volunteer Game Masters but with much less power. It was hard to police them whenever they bent the rules so it inevitably led to abuse and the eventual dismantling of the entire system since it was unfair to all parties involved.

The lesson to take away from this story is that the only people you should give any power in a video game are those that actually have something to lose if they abuse or misuse it – namely their job. Losing an account just isn’t enough of a deterrent in some cases.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

So this is basically -

WOW

REALLY???

LOL

Considering how you responded to my first post, I would not want you or anyone like you to have the responsibility to “analyze, sort, edit, and/or compile” anything.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i have no talent whatsoever, but if arena net would like to have me around as a consultant i can fly out to washington.. i doubt they’d let me in the building

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’d volunteer my services as an in-game GM. I won’t abuse my power. Trust me…

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

If I were a big company like NCsoft, I wouldn’t trust volunteers with my stuff.

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

No. People from these forums moderating it? Lol, the moderating is already suspect at best with someone people calling others names and degrading them and never getting infracted and some making some suggestions or telling others to not be obnoxious get infracted.

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

So what MMOs are you referring to? I remember Ultima Online had a system of “Counselors” which were basically players that fulfilled the role of volunteer Game Masters but with much less power. It was hard to police them whenever they bent the rules so it inevitably led to abuse and the eventual dismantling of the entire system since it was unfair to all parties involved.

The lesson to take away from this story is that the only people you should give any power in a video game are those that actually have something to lose if they abuse or misuse it – namely their job. Losing an account just isn’t enough of a deterrent in some cases.

I’m pretty sure it was actually the Counselor lawsuit that demanded backed wages (three times minimum wage) for their “volunteer” work in response to some benefits being cut that killed the program. I stopped playing UO by the time the lawsuit came out, but I was in Asheron’s Call and their volunteer program got axed very suddenly when details of the lawsuit came out and I’ve hardly seen any MMOs offer volunteer positions since then.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Arenanet offers an internship seasonally, sign up and see if it’s your ‘cup of tea’.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Everquests guide program is still going strong. However, since what they do is heavily server related and RP oriented, no room for anything like this here.

You know.. the “other games do it, so we won’t” syndrome here.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Guide-Program/10329303015

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.