[Suggestion] change to Tome of Knowledge

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: videll.9531

videll.9531

I’m sure other people will agree with me on this one.

Is it possible to change the tomes so that only the person using it sees the “level up” effects and animation (for everyone else, it will look like you’re just standing still doing nothing with no effects at all)? For me, I find it very annoying to have people level spamming right at the banker locations, forcing me to quickly map travel elsewhere.

Azeena Videll
officer of Unified Heroes of Tyria [UHoT]
Devona’s Rest server

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’ve seen this and been guilty of it…. and it does seem like a pointless display of visual noise. Does anyone care if I personally level up? I wouldn’t think so. I wouldn’t mind if it stopped being visible to others.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Heh, I must admit that I always felt a little guilty when I had to spam a ton of tomes because I was boosting a character to 80.
Those little Lvl40 Experience Scrolls I got for birthdays of my older characters were nice but still caused me to broing-broing-broing 40 times to get to 80.

So usually I just started running from the bank to a random area on the map while spamming tomes so it wouldn’t be smack-dab at the bank for everyone to hear. Trust me, after boosting my 6 ‘human god’ characters even I got fed up with the constant sound.

But any change would also affect regular level-up as the effect is tied to the xp-bar and not the tome.

So if I were to make a suggestion:

Make a vendor item for Miyani where people can turn 10 Tomes of Knowledge into 1 Tome of Wisdom which instantly grants 10 levels when consumed.

After all, Miyani already has an item that converts 20 Writs of Experience into 1 Tome of Knowledge. So why not one that converts 10 Tomes of Knowledge into 1 Tome of Wisdom?

That way people without any Experience Scroll merely need to click on 8 Tomes of Wisdom and people with (for instance) a lvl40 Experience Scroll only need to click on 4 tomes to get to 80.

(Reason I opted for 10 Tomes for 1 Master conversion is because the Experience Scrolls go from 20-30-40-50-60 afaik)

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

^ There’s really no need for the regular level-up effect either, so I wouldn’t object to that disappearing. But I like your idea with Miyani for its efficiency.

Posted by: Noctology.7238

Noctology.7238

How about getting rid of the “click right of screen, then middle of screen, then right of screen , then…” effect too when popping from level 1 to level 80…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Consume All would go over well.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

^ There’s really no need for the regular level-up effect either, so I wouldn’t object to that disappearing. But I like your idea with Miyani for its efficiency.

Actually, there is a reason for the normal level-up effect. You may not have noticed, but it’s actually an AoE with knock-back. It’s a lovely, often unexpected “boom” during an intense combat, when you’re lucky enough for it to happen at the right time.

Anyway, as it IS an attack, there has to be some visual effect to go with it. No “invisible” attacks is one of those unwritten rules.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Anyway, as it IS an attack, there has to be some visual effect to go with it. No “invisible” attacks is one of those unwritten rules.

Someone should tell that to Immelhoof. :\

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not against the idea, but I don’t think it’s a good use of limited developer resources, when there are so many, many other QoL changes we want.

If I don’t want other people to be bothered, I can pop into my home instance or the Hall of Monuments (the stone is available to everyone for free, regardless of owning GW1).

This just doesn’t happen that often that I care about it. I am, for example, far more bothered when people spam turrets and meteor showers, as well as certain tonics. Those are more annoying because they keep going on and on inconsistently, whereas someone levels up quickly.

I prefer the alternative solution of allowing people to trade in ToK to Miyani for a “level to 80” scroll. It could cost say 78 tomes, regardless of existing levels (easier to program probably) or be amortized to the toon’s current level.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Actually, there is a reason for the normal level-up effect. You may not have noticed, but it’s actually an AoE with knock-back. It’s a lovely, often unexpected “boom” during an intense combat, when you’re lucky enough for it to happen at the right time.

Seriously? It’s an attack! I never knew. Well now.. I think I’ll take my new toon out of DR before I level up and see this in action.