Suggestion for Stopping Personal ABUSE in GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

I find your comment highly amusing, Groonz.7825 — Exactly ‘where’ did I say that I felt that somebody was really trying to kill me? Really, you must go back and actually read my comment rather than speculating on my observations with silly replies. I’m not going to waste my time defending my comment and ultimately it was aimed at the community for how the community reacts to it is a true indicator of how such actions are perceived.

For some (the minority I’m happy to report) such instances are not considered griefing (and I’m discussing the deliberately TARGETED intimidation, not the incidental or accidental kind) and wherein the majority of the community who have some degree of self-respect and who do not find it amusing to deliberately abuse others to get their kicks, find such actions abusive and have in the past commented to me that something has to be done about the abusers.

But then of course I’m sure the abusers would howl the loudest about it because this proposal if implemented would effectively act to take away their “fun” now would it not?

Is this actually serious? Someone actually considers lying a ground target or standing next a character harassment? Arenanet cannot actually believe this is legitimate. You claim this is the majority of the playerbase’s sentiment, and yet I’ve never heard of this of opinion ingame or on the forums prior to this. Your anecdotal points don’t help. It’s just as easy to claim that a majority of the community disagrees with you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Trolls only have power if you give it to them. If you ignore them, they go away.

• /block them so you cannot “hear” them.
  • If they continue to harass via other methods, take screenshots. Otherwise, ignore them.
  • If they continue to annoy you on the same day, change characters briefly or go AFK.
  • If they continue to harass, take another screenshot.
  • If you end up with 5 sets of screenshots of different incidents from different characters or different days, then create a support ticket reporting the times, dates, and specifics and add your documentation.

tl;dr don’t feed the trolls

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: NvN.4321

NvN.4321

OP would have a mental breakdown while playing Dota . I’m pretty immune to trash talking and even i am often forced to mute players on Dota cause they are distracting but i do not try to reach Gaben asking to remove all Russians cause they swear on russian and i googled what it means.

Krosis Hellfire

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

What I’m getting from this is it was completely triggered by the incident with your neighbor’s daughter, because I’ve never seen abuse/bullying be such a prevalent issue in GW2 that any changes are needed.

My advice to your neighbor would be to better prepare his daughter for the internet and the real world. A person cannot make it through life if they can’t deal with online bullying. At some point she’ll need to move out and fend for herself.

No matter how much you or her parents try, you can’t change the world in order to protect her. She needs to be taught to protect herself.

Posted by: MikeE.8267

MikeE.8267

Players trying to play those STOOPID instruments is abuse to my ears. You can’t mute them so… Can we please BAN them?

On a personal note, I must make sure I don’t stand near anyone, OR heaven forbid press any skills near them O_o

WvW is going to be much harder

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

Players trying to play those STOOPID instruments is abuse to my ears. You can’t mute them so… Can we please BAN them?

Go to options then sound and slide the slider to all the way to the left for Player instruments.

Maybe you are being sarcastic can’t tell

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

Excellent point, Randulf.7614 but let’s take this to it’s illogical conclusion. If for example they continue on to another person, etc. sooner or later they will grow tired of being the only toon standing there. The psychological message is important (assuming they are smart enough to understand it). Abuse and people vanish and that means there is nobody around to bully. It also creates a situation wherein, if their actions warrant reporting then ArenaNET will receive a flood of reports about that individual (irrespective of avatar) and will notice that they are actively engaged in abuse of other people which comes back to the point of my opening comment.

Exactly why you should REPORT them.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

OPs first mistake there was to run from the people and have them chase him all over the map. That’s absolutely the last thing you should do as it proves to them that their actions are truly annoying. If someone is targeting you and trying to get under your skin there’s no good reason to react and every good reason not to react. If you want to afk till they leave, leave the map to do other stuff or just go about your business on the map without reacting to them, that’s one thing but running off and having them chase you is the most counterproductive troll affirming, thing you can do.

Most incidents of this nature are going to be one time things. Ignoring them is the best thing you can do as they want a reaction from you. If it continues, you can write down the char name, display name (the name.1234 each account has), the map’s IP (from /ip in chat), time/date/map name for each incident then contact support from the forum here to report a pattern of continuing harrasement.

But never, never react.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

How about people stop being jerks? Oh wait, too much to ask, let’s victim blame instead. Grow a thicker skin, get off the internet, blah blah blah… What seems to stop troll behavior is when not only does no one react they way they want but the group as a whole shuts them down and doesn’t support their behavior.

I report verbal abuse, I block, I move on, I don’t even inform the jerkface they’ve been reported. That’s all that’s available for me to do and Anet can deal with it fine. Some jerkfaces have gotten to me but karma seems to teeth kick them eventually.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: krzygum.4028

krzygum.4028

How about people stop being jerks? Oh wait, too much to ask, let’s victim blame instead. Grow a thicker skin, get off the internet, blah blah blah… What seems to stop troll behavior is when not only does no one react they way they want but the group as a whole shuts them down and doesn’t support their behavior.

I report verbal abuse, I block, I move on, I don’t even inform the jerkface they’ve been reported. That’s all that’s available for me to do and Anet can deal with it fine. Some jerkfaces have gotten to me but karma seems to teeth kick them eventually.

Verbal abuse is easy to prove. How are you going to support OPs idea to punish people using skills near him, or standing next t him “abusing” his free space.

Aerlen.5326

That’s a bit extreme but there are people who do that just to be jerks, usually because they’ve been informed they’ve been blocked or reported. Probably can’t be proved but could be solved by an optional de-render.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

It’s clear some people in this game are WAY too sensitive and get offended by every little thing even things that are not directed towars them. Like krzygum.4028 said “verbal abuse is easy to prove” since anet records everything we do in game. It’s even harder to prove that x player intent (unless text chat ) if they really are trying to harras x player or just goofing around. I’m not saying not report or block people that are clearly breaking TOS/EULA/CoC. Getting offend becuase someone is standing in the same space as you, or near you, or using skills near you is over the top being way too sensitive.

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: krzygum.4028

krzygum.4028

That’s a bit extreme but there are people who do that just to be jerks, usually because they’ve been informed they’ve been blocked or reported. Probably can’t be proved but could be solved by an optional de-render.

I think walking away, relogging to different map or just not looking at them is much easier and cheaper to implement than creating whole system of hiding players.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

I think walking away, relogging to different map or just not looking at them is much easier and cheaper to implement than creating whole system of hiding players.

Clearly, it’s easier to be offended and demand that the public at large bow to your particular requirements as a person who cannot grasp the concept that not everyone in the world is going to be simply lovely toward you.

Aerlen.5326

Surely it is but if you have a chronic offender who adds you and follows you, might be a problem. Not that I’ve ever seen that or a player with that little of a life to do that… shrug

Jedi, are you saying I’m too sensitive by quoting me? I have never reported anyone for standing near me or using skills.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Khristophoros.7194

Oh I also want to comment on this.

What sort of slime wrapped in human skin does that to another human being? Let alone a child; not that they seemed to know or care.

Almost certainly 14-16 year old boys.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m feeling a bit sensitive now. From now on, anyone who quotes me on the forum or posts before or after I do, I’m reporting as standing too near and using forum skills beside me. >.>

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: SenorMoody.5908

SenorMoody.5908

meh.. why NOT make the Trolls completely disappear when ignored?
Ignoring someone should stop every interaction with them, not just chat.

Wish it, Want it, Do it!

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

“a potentially psychotic adolescent abuser”

Who’s, let’s face it, probably actually about 35 and living in his mum’s basement.

I agree with you, TBH.

I’m well past caring what other people may try to do to me, with their chars, in a game, but just because I’m sufficiently jaded to just ignore it, doesn’t make it OK.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

nosleepdemon.1368

What sort of slime wrapped in human skin does that to another human being? Let alone a child; not that they seemed to know or care.

You meant to say children, right? Mx sexist.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Surely it is but if you have a chronic offender who adds you and follows you, might be a problem. Not that I’ve ever seen that or a player with that little of a life to do that… shrug

It does happen, sometimes, unfortunately and it’s obviously not something anyone should have to put up with.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Aerlen.5326

It does happen, sometimes, unfortunately and it’s obviously not something anyone should have to put up with.

I’m really sorry to hear that. I’d hope in an extreme case such as that, there would be measures available.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m really sorry to hear that. I’d hope in an extreme case such as that, there would be measures available.

There is. You document harrasement with screenshots and noting the char name/display name, dates, time and location and map ip. Then you make a ticket and send the information to support.

ANet may give it to you.

Khristophoros.7194

I dunno if you’re joking but in my experience boys are much more likely to harass people. Well that’s beside the point. It’s almost certainly the same age group as her.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There is. You document harrasement with screenshots and noting the char name/display name, dates, time and location and map ip. Then you make a ticket and send the information to support.

And Support has acted on these reports. Hard to tell how often relative to the number of reports, because ANet doesn’t release any sort of stats about it. We do know that some reports aren’t “actioned” because they lack the detail ANet needs to follow up and we know that sometimes both parties were at fault — yeah, sometimes one is the instigator; the problem is sometimes the victim does their own harassment, too.

tl;dr do your best to /block and ignore. If you can’t do that (for whatever reason), document the troll’s behavior, build up documentation, and report.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

It’s the internet, humans are bad, get tougher skin.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

You’re making a big deal out of nothing. Just block then and move on. Talk about first world problems. Stop making yourself a victim.

(edited by RoRo.8270)

nosleepdemon.1368

I dunno if you’re joking but in my experience boys are much more likely to harass people. Well that’s beside the point. It’s almost certainly the same age group as her.

You must be joking; girls and boys are just as likely to harass one another. You might expect to find more teenage boys than teenage girls playing GW2, though.

Khristophoros.7194

You must be joking; girls and boys are just as likely to harass one another. You might expect to find more teenage boys than teenage girls playing GW2, though.

Well that’s beside the point. It’s almost certainly the same age group as her.

Posted by: Delta.2093

Delta.2093

I agree with the OP. We need a far better system, not just to hide these (which is fine as temporary solution), but to have a human GM online to stop them. By not having these in place, trolls are actually encouraged to “have fun” this way, since they can get away without consequences.

Or maybe this is a game where these actions are allowed and encouraged, and “overly sensitive” people, “with no sense of humor” should not buy & play this.

Delta | Spell (M) | Bold (W) | Conde (N) | Sky (El) | Flames (G) | Heart (T)
[FUG/SG/TDT] on the Jade Quarry

Khristophoros.7194

I agree with the OP. We need a far better system, not just to hide these (which is fine as temporary solution), but to have a human GM online to stop them. By not having these in place, trolls are actually encouraged to “have fun” this way, since they can get away without consequences.

Or maybe this is a game where these actions are allowed and encouraged, and “overly sensitive” people, “with no sense of humor” should not buy & play this.

Almost 2800 hours played and I’ve never seen harassment that can’t be handled by simply blocking.

Posted by: Kanebrake.6192

Kanebrake.6192

Not that it hasn’t been suggested several times already but… block and move on. Simple as that.

BG

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Unless Anet (or any other game company out there) decides to hire full time game ‘referees’, whose only job is to deal with the kittens that populate the internet, then the chances of having a GM show up in game is pretty low… Which is unfortunate. So, we can only just do what we keep on doing. Reporting the little worthless trolls until they get themselves banned for good.

Somehow, I doubt very much this is the case…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Samhaim.8956

Samhaim.8956

I don’t believe your suggestions are practical for all game modes, in pvp for instance this solution would make gameplay very confusing when you can’t see what’s damaging you or your teammate or what the enemy is attacking.
One thing that they could add would maybe be an option to change the instance of the map you’re on if you block someone and from that point forward have the megaserver system try to place you in different instances as the person blocked.

Samhaiim ~ Thief

Delta.2093

It’s the internet, humans are bad, get tougher skin.

Not “humans” are bad, just those, their actions. What if we start harassing back? Should this game turn into who can harass better?

Luckily these cases are rare, but that doesn’t mean that we should ignore them or side with trolls. Neither it’s acceptable.

Posted by: Citri.9540

Citri.9540

(1) another player thinks it’s amusing to use harsh, abusive or other commentary on me or which is directed at me

funny i wonder why its okay for you to use harsh, abusive or other gross commentary on Skritt or Asura but its not okay when someone else does it to you

hi im citri u can find me twerking on Blackgate or on citriplays.tumblr.com

Posted by: Tim.5681

Tim.5681

It seems to me that the OP is being very intolerant of the diverse community within GW2. The OP has no respect for the diverse culture of people present, nor tolerance for those that think differently from the OP. My advice for the OP is to have more empathy and be more open-minded.

Delta.2093

It seems to me that the OP is being very intolerant of the diverse community within GW2. The OP has no respect for the diverse culture of people present, nor tolerance for those that think differently from the OP. My advice for the OP is to have more empathy and be more open-minded.

Yay! This is the solution! Should be added into the Charter of the United Nations too. A huge step forward for the mankind. /endOfJoking
#ToleranceIsEverything

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Take screen shots/vid captures if this is truely a case of bullying/harrasment/stalking and send to Anet imo. Do not block until you get evidence. I am sure Anet will not tolerate this sort of thing and may hand the culprits a perma ban if it is serious enough.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Is this serious? Block them and report them. A player walking around and using skills and “standing near you” isn’t harassment.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

I’m big on law and order and well, point taken but ultimately it comes down my believing absolutely in the 11th Commandment which is, “Thou shalt not get away with it.”

Report, block, move on, and more importantly, DO NOT interact further with them. That’s as simple as it gets. If someone keeps it up, Anet will act on it. Not to mention, anet’s going to sanction BOTH parties if the “victim” continues to instigate the problem.

Posted by: Defiling Treekiller.1632

Defiling Treekiller.1632

it must be tough to go through life acting as if words ,and I stress typed words at that, can hurt you. if you choose to be intimidated by a pixelated image slicing the air in front of your pixelated image then congratulations on being what is actually wrong with the world. #firstworldgentileproblemsarenotproblems #suckitupbuttercup

Khristophoros.7194

it must be tough to go through life acting as if words ,and I stress typed words at that, can hurt you. if you choose to be intimidated by a pixelated image slicing the air in front of your pixelated image then congratulations on being what is actually wrong with the world. #firstworldgentileproblemsarenotproblems #suckitupbuttercup

I was with you until you threw “gentile” in there. lol. What does religion have to do with this?

Posted by: Defiling Treekiller.1632

Defiling Treekiller.1632

eh, wasn’t using gentile in that sense but hey I’m just a knuckledragging tool wielding ape in search of a motherboard for conjugation so please don’t expect me to use words correctly.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I was with you until you threw “gentile” in there. lol. What does religion have to do with this?

Yeah, I wondered what not being Jewish had to do with anything…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I would love for a system of this sort to be implemented. I would end up blocking pretty much anyone I saw just to reduce the visual clutter at big events such as world boss fights.

For what its worth, intimidation is probably not the correct word to use to describe most of what is mentioned in the OP.

Posted by: vexit.4695

vexit.4695

Not trying to be mean, but if people laying ground targets near you or standing really close to you in a game leaves you intimidated/emotionally damaged, you probably shouldn’t be playing games.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Not trying to be mean, but if people laying ground targets near you or standing really close to you in a game leaves you intimidated/emotionally damaged, you probably shouldn’t be playing games.

Or being social at all.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Here’s the answer to everyone’s problem, both in-game and IRL, just remember that any problems you perceive don’t actually belong to you. If anyone takes issue with you, it’s always THEIR problem, never YOUR’S.

Posted by: Pengy.9580

Pengy.9580

I find your comment highly amusing, Groonz.7825 — Exactly ‘where’ did I say that I felt that somebody was really trying to kill me? Really, you must go back and actually read my comment rather than speculating on my observations with silly replies. I’m not going to waste my time defending my comment and ultimately it was aimed at the community for how the community reacts to it is a true indicator of how such actions are perceived.

For some (the minority I’m happy to report) such instances are not considered griefing (and I’m discussing the deliberately TARGETED intimidation, not the incidental or accidental kind) and wherein the majority of the community who have some degree of self-respect and who do not find it amusing to deliberately abuse others to get their kicks, find such actions abusive and have in the past commented to me that something has to be done about the abusers.

But then of course I’m sure the abusers would howl the loudest about it because this proposal if implemented would effectively act to take away their “fun” now would it not?

Is this actually serious? Someone actually considers lying a ground target or standing next a character harassment? Arenanet cannot actually believe this is legitimate. You claim this is the majority of the playerbase’s sentiment, and yet I’ve never heard of this of opinion ingame or on the forums prior to this. Your anecdotal points don’t help. It’s just as easy to claim that a majority of the community disagrees with you.

People think their character is them, when someone stands close to your character they are in turn standing on you. I have encountered this before.

The best way to avoid griefers or “trolls” is not to fight back, block or anything. if someone stands on your character, STAY THERE, go afk, do whatever. Ignore them by not acknowledging their existence! They only troll because they want a reaction from you. Don’t give it to them!