Suggestion for dealing with Gold Spammers.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Turmon.3026

Turmon.3026

So I’ve noticed that in Guild Wars 2, gold spammers prefer using whispers to advertise. I can only guess it’s to deter people from reporting them but I don’t know. It certainly doesn’t deter me.

Anyway. I was wondering if ArenaNet might think about introducing an option to block whispers from people who you haven’t whispered first and aren’t on your friend’s list. Would certainly help discourage Gold Spammers from whispering us.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

This hasn’t really been a problem until recently I’ve noticed. Now it seems like I can’t log on without at getting at least one or two whispers from “akjldfoie” or “joaewrjaeljk” or whatever botted name they’re using. My gf even got a private message in her mail from these guys.

Like I said, they were gone for a while, but it looks like they’re rearing their ugly heads again. Turmon’s got the right idea though, and I report those messages every single time.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

So I’ve noticed that in Guild Wars 2, gold spammers prefer using whispers to advertise. I can only guess it’s to deter people from reporting them but I don’t know. It certainly doesn’t deter me.

Anyway. I was wondering if ArenaNet might think about introducing an option to block whispers from people who you haven’t whispered first and aren’t on your friend’s list. Would certainly help discourage Gold Spammers from whispering us.

How are you going to make friends in the first place if you can’t be the first whisperer? Gold sellers are certainly annoying but I’m not sure that cramping social interaction is the answer.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

How are you going to make friends in the first place if you can’t be the first whisperer? Gold sellers are certainly annoying but I’m not sure that cramping social interaction is the answer.

You don’t need to whisper in order to make friends.

zenleto.6179

Yeah, I suppose you can spam all sorts of private dribble over /map or /say.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

You are basically asking to delete whispiring since according to your solution, people can’t whisper you if you haven’t whispered them first, meaning, that neither you or them will be able to whisper anyone but added on their friendlist.

Basically meaning that whispiring is gonna be an option for the 20 people on your friend-list, deleting it otherwise from the game.

Turmon.3026

That’s right. At the end of the day, it’s introducing an option to block the whispers; not actually block automatically. It’s an option that you control. And my suggestion did ensure that you couldn’t use the block function to harrass someone without them being able to reply. If I’d gone at this recklessly I might have suggested blocking in game mail from strangers too.

Turmon.3026

You are basically asking to delete whispiring since according to your solution, people can’t whisper you if you haven’t whispered them first, meaning, that neither you or them will be able to whisper anyone but added on their friendlist.

Basically meaning that whispiring is gonna be an option for the 20 people on your friend-list, deleting it otherwise from the game.

Not necessarily. Someone asks you if they can whisper you in public and you remove the option in order that they can.

zenleto.6179

That’s right. At the end of the day, it’s introducing an option to block the whispers; not actually block automatically. It’s an option that you control. And my suggestion did ensure that you couldn’t use the block function to harrass someone without them being able to reply. If I’d gone at this recklessly I might have suggested blocking in game mail from strangers too.

I see (I think). So having some sort of optional criteria or checkbox to allow/control who can whisper you? Now that sounds like something.

Turmon.3026

Ultimately, I’m suggesting that ArenaNet allows the option. It’s up to the game players whether to take the option or not.

Posted by: Asia Skyly.7198

Asia Skyly.7198

They should give us a way to make a custom filter.
That way I can block any whisper what contain whatever custom filter I make.

Turmon.3026

They should give us a way to make a custom filter.
That way I can block any whisper what contain whatever custom filter I make.

That’d be a good idea. That could work with in game mail too maybe.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to eliminate whisper altogether, as I use it quite often (especially for rp purposes). A block/filter option would be nice.

Though when I got that whisper, I noticed there actually was a “block” when I right-clicked their name. The problem, however, was that even though the message I get is the same, it’s a different name everytime, and it’s always a garble of letters, akin to a bot (probably is).

Turmon.3026

Yeah, I wouldn’t want to eliminate whisper altogether, as I use it quite often (especially for rp purposes). A block/filter option would be nice.

Though when I got that whisper, I noticed there actually was a “block” when I right-clicked their name. The problem, however, was that even though the message I get is the same, it’s a different name everytime, and it’s always a garble of letters, akin to a bot (probably is).

Yeah in truth there’s little point in blocking these people because they’ll usually have lots more accounts with which they can do this with. I’d be willing to guess they still acquire these accounts the same way they did in Guild Wars 1. At least back in the time of Guild Wars 1, ArenaNet was doing all it could do tackle the account holders at their home addresses.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

Gold spam in this game is significantly less compared to other games. There’s already internal filters that block gold spam.

Like Guild Wars 1, the filter doesn’t even let you know if its been blocked. To the user on the computer, it appears to be sent but it doesn’t go anywhere. It makes it much harder for bots to know if they are really spamming or not.

I also heard reporting spam makes the filter automatically adjust, whatever they use is a lot more sophisticated than other games.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I don’t get much in the way of gold spammers whispering me ZBUT, I do get tons of spam email (almost daily) saying my GW2 will be shutdown for illegal activities. Then when I look at the link provided (it is spoofed BTW), the link is often to TK or CN. This is how gold spammers are getting into the game, stolen accounts.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

That’s weird. I haven’t seen a single gold spammer since maybe 2 months after launch. I guess I should knock on wood.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

Nor have I. I think this ‘cure’ may be worse than the disease.