Suggestion for endless gathering tools

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShinyDay.5349

ShinyDay.5349

Since they cost so much, it would be nice to get extra materials when gathering or something.
So instead of getting 3 soft wood logs, you would get like 4 or 5 all the time with this endless gathering tools.
That wouldn’t make any huge difference to TP market or anything, but would be just another way to make people interested in those tools —> more money for Anet :P

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,
Corsair RM650x, Fractal Define S (with window panel)

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Would make a huge impact on TP.
Would be pay to win.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

They cost so much because they are meant to be a convenience item also because you never have to buy another of the gathering tool again. They already have the Item Booster if you want extra stuff while gathering.

ShinyDay.5349

Would be pay to win.

It means we woul?d gather 25% more than normally. But not all players have that .. only like 20% of players.
So acctuall effect on TP would be like max 5% volume increase of some materials.

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Likely bring about another storm like the WatchWork Pick did. Probably not the best idea…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Would be pay to win.

It means we woul?d gather 25% more than normally. But not all players have that .. only like 20% of players.
So acctuall effect on TP would be like max 5% volume increase of some materials.

Either source about 20% and max 5%, or don’t make up numbers and try to pass them off as real.

You don’t know how many have these tools and you don’t know what the impact would be so don’t pull numbers out of body orifices and use them to make an argument for what you want.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

ShinyDay.5349

Would be pay to win.

Either source about 20% and max 5%, or don’t make up numbers and try to pass them off as real.

You don’t know how many have these tools and you don’t know what the impact would be so don’t pull numbers out of body orifices and use them to make an argument for what you want.

It’s true, those numbers were pulled out of my dark hole.
And yes I would like to have that for my personal gain.

But if you think that would bring, as you said, HUGE impact on TP, you are fooling yourself.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Would be pay to win.

It’s true, those numbers were pulled out of my dark hole.
And yes I would like to have that for my personal gain.

But if you think that would bring, as you said, HUGE impact on TP, you are fooling yourself.

Or you are fooling yourself, since as you admit you don’t have a clue what the numbers are.

Make your argument but don’t make up numbers. Made up numbers show you don’t have a real argument to support what you ask for and have to resort to grasping at straws to bolster it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Since they cost so much, it would be nice to get extra materials when gathering or something.
So instead of getting 3 soft wood logs, you would get like 4 or 5 all the time with this endless gathering tools.
That wouldn’t make any huge difference to TP market or anything, but would be just another way to make people interested in those tools —> more money for Anet :P

They could come with their own Shared Inventory slot!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Essentially the OP is just asking for the equivalent of a gathering booster built into the infinite items. Which, I would be fine if they did; however, it should not stack with the booster so players can’t double up the bonuses. It wouldn’t technically be pay to win, considering how easily players can get boosters just through general play (I think I have like 100 of the kitten things). Its just a tad more convenient not having to remember to pop the consumable every hour.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Mortifer.2946

Make all the infinite tools give you extra material (normal ones, not like watchwork sprockets):
—> many players will feel like they are now obliged to buy those tools = negative feeling.
—> other players will refuse to buy it because its price, or even because they will consider it a breach of trust about ANet’s P2W standpoint = negative feeling.

—> Many players already have these tools, there will be many more = prices will definitely change. All the crafted items will get cheaper than they are supposed to be = problem for GW2’s economist, possible changes to crafting recipes.

In conclusion, no, these tools cannot give you anything extra.

ShinyDay.5349

pay to win … did you notice gem store?
Did you notice system for buying gems with real money and converting them into gold?

So that additional gathering material is nothing compared to gem store “pay to win”.

Was just an idea what I would personally like to see.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Did you notice system for buying gems with real money and converting them into gold?

So that additional gathering material is nothing compared to gem store “pay to win”.

Except that there’s nothing else in the gem shop (with the exception of the watchwork pick) that gives players something that you can’t get from playing the game, without spending gems.

So, indeed, extra gathering material, is something very much like paying extra to earn.

I much prefer the default system: ANet’s economy team monitors the supply|demand of mats and makes adjustments as needed to ensure a healthy equilibrium (which sometimes includes high prices for certain items).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

Spending money to convert to gold only makes certain items faster. That isn’t pay to win because you have no advantage over another player. You just did it faster. They still have access to the same things.

Please at least understand what the term “pay to win” means.

Paying real money to get more items then the regular tools = pay to win
Paying real money to get to ascended gear faster /= pay to win

Edit: I’ve had my tools since the day they released them. After that many years their cost is certainly worth it.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

(edited by Ellieanna.5027)

Horrorscope.7632

-“Paying real money to get more items then the regular tools = pay to win”

I can buy gems, convert to gold and “get more items” faster than someone who doesn’t and uses the “regular tools/methods”.

People have different defs of P2W, this falls into one of those for sure. We tend to think it’s not too bad. I’m ok with it, the main thing is you can’t but a character that is supremely dominant. That I think is what satisfies most.

(edited by Horrorscope.7632)

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

I can buy gems, convert to gold and “get more items” faster than someone who doesn’t and uses the “regular tools/methods”.

People have different defs of P2W, this falls into one of those for sure. We tend to think it’s not too bad. I’m ok with it, the main thing is you can’t but a character that is supremely dominant. That I think is what satisfies most.

Except that in your method, you are buying off the trading post, so someone had to gather those resources. So no, it doesn’t qualify. If you could buy the mats from a general vendor then yes, but buying off other players is never going to be under pay to win. Someone still had to go out and gather those resources.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Horrorscope.7632

Except that in your method, you are buying off the trading post, so someone had to gather those resources. So no, it doesn’t qualify. If you could buy the mats from a general vendor then yes, but buying off other players is never going to be under pay to win. Someone still had to go out and gather those resources.

I disagree, but that is the whole P2W def, there is no one definition that satisfies everyone. To me having 9000 of something on the TP for me solely to buy is as good as a vendor with a limitless supply. Those whales that want to drop cash can buy all they want.

Mortifer.2946

Well, the basic logic why gold conversion is not P2W is that there is also gem conversion and both markets influence each other. However, infinite tool give extra items out of nothing, which is bad because not everybody has them. For example, imagine not all owners of GW2 would get 2 gold for doing daily, but only those who bought such upgrade on gemstore. That would be pay to win.