Suggestion: more income = more content

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

DISCLAIMER: ArenaNet is finally coming out with an expansion! Outstanding, and this will increase revenue and the salaries of the people who make this great game. I WANT this game to continue being successful and to continue to improve, polish, and grow. Guild Wars 2 is truly something special in the MMO genre.

SUGGESTION: give the players the option to pay a subscription fee of $14.99 a month. Before you stop reading, consider why a subscription would benefit players.

Make it so if players only want to Buy to Play, then they should have the same access to all content and nothing should be gated or changed in anyway for them. GW2 and HoT would be exactly as they are now. Nothing gated or limited. Never buy to win.

So, what would subscribers get?

• 30% increase to karma, gold, and XP at all times from all sources in game! This stacks with buffs from food and events. Consider a new baseline.
  • Earn double achievement points for all achievements! this would NOT be retroactive
  • 100% increase in magic find with a cap of 400%
  • 20% discount on all gem store items

Basically, for those with the cash, they can get some extra perks without putting in so much time. This stays true to Anet’s game philosophy of not paying to win. Not to mention, you can already use gold earned to buy gems, or actually buy gems with real money to turn into game gold.

This supports Anet without harming the player base, because nothing would change for those players who refuse to pay a monthly fee. The fee would be completely optional for additional perks.

If the connotation of a monthly fee is too much to swallow, then Anet should sell a package with these types of buffs that last a month which can be purchased on the gem store, but with cash only – not gems.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

You seem to have missed a step in your equation. Specifically, the one at which that income has to be put toward more designers and developers to actually create that content.

Just having more money isn’t going to magically make more content happen. Anet would have to expand considerably, and the business of designing, refining, and implementing a strategy like this would take what I think to be a modest minimum of 2 years. And that’s of course assuming that any business decision has ever been made based on one person’s post on a game forum.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

you are also basically copy pasting the “subsciber benefits” from any F2P game ever ANET doesn’t like to copy stuff from other games all about being new and different so probably wouldn’t happen

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Want to give money to the game? Buy gems. It’s what they’re there for. Want to pay a sub? Buy gems every month.

Also, what Andred said.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

lol, you should have seen the crud storm that happened on these forums 1.5 to 2 years ago when I suggested that Arenanet setup a “subscription”, where basically the player setups up a monthly subscription for what ever amount they want to come out every month automatically, and they get gems that corresponds to that amount. So if they setup a $10 subscription, they get 800 Gems every month.

So many people were against that idea and some even said they would leave the game if it was setup like that. /crazy

So if so many people are up against the idea I gave, then your idea has even less of a chance of getting any kind of support.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No.

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

lol, you should have seen the crud storm that happened on these forums 1.5 to 2 years ago when I suggested that Arenanet setup a “subscription”, where basically the player setups up a monthly subscription for what ever amount they want to come out every month automatically, and they get gems that corresponds to that amount. So if they setup a $10 subscription, they get 800 Gems every month.

So many people were against that idea and some even said they would leave the game if it was setup like that. /crazy

So if so many people are up against the idea I gave, then your idea has even less of a chance of getting any kind of support.

This is a good idea. I mean if you want to stop the auto pay, you can anytime. I don’t see why not. As for the extra perks for sub fee, I can see why people would moan about that.

Posted by: Tyrannical.9348

Tyrannical.9348

Typically a game goes from Pay to Play, and later becomes Free to Play, not the other way around.

Look at Tinder. That just committed career suicide because they’re making people pay for benefits now. I’d hate to see it happen to GW2 too

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Typically a game goes from Pay to Play, and later becomes Free to Play, not the other way around.

Look at Tinder. That just committed career suicide because they’re making people pay for benefits now. I’d hate to see it happen to GW2 too

What is Tinder?

Posted by: Tyrannical.9348

Tyrannical.9348

What is Tinder?

A popular mobile matchmaking app, surprisingly successful too. Used to be free and then started charging subscription fees out of nowhere.

Practically abandoned now.