Suggestion: new Mastery - Climbing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

I can’t wait to experiencing Gliding and other Masteries in HoT. But we also are to understand that this is introducing a system that will be added onto going forward. So how about add one that allows us to climb ladders, vines, etc. Basically “designated climbable surfaces”.

What would mastery points get you beyond basic climbing?
Maybe a form of passive or active stability to brace yourself prevent being knocked/blown off.
Maybe an ability to quickly descend safely.
Maybe an ability to kick enemies or objects.
Maybe an ability to swing around and hop off in the middle to access spots you otherwise couldn’t.

So what kind of content could make use of this mechanic? Cantha / Kaineng City immediately comes to mind. I don’t think that should need much elaboration.

Also, while moving platforms are (currently) an issue, if they could ever manage to give us vehicles such as ships, airships, or tanks, these could make use of different kinds of climbable surfaces like metal ladders, rope ladders, climbing the mast of a ship up to a crow’s nest.

And what about jumping puzzles and other secret areas. Maybe there’s some cliff side that doesn’t look that interesting, but there’s a spot with a vine you can climb up and suddenly it becomes a bit more interesting.

All in all, I’d say climbing is a very worthy candidate for a future mastery.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: petespri.6548

petespri.6548

Climbing would be a great addition. I hate it in mmos when you do the running slide against an invisible angle that your character can’t climb. “use your hands, dude” is always what I am thinking, lol.

Posted by: TeddieJ.2495

TeddieJ.2495

And so you can get out of the map?
I must be crazy if Anet approve this.

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

I don’t think they have the tech for this

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

Huh? I’m not sure you really read the post. Nobody said anything about being able to climb anything anywhere anytime. Only certain pre-defined surfaces, which is actually more restrictive than gliding.

If they could get the physics and animation for gliding nailed down, I highly doubt a handful of climbing animations is beyond them.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

There are a lot of chains and ropes and ladders in old maps that could use this. Especially in Lion Arch where a few homes that can’t be reached have ladders/ropes.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Huh? I’m not sure you really read the post. Nobody said anything about being able to climb anything anywhere anytime. Only certain pre-defined surfaces, which is actually more restrictive than gliding.

If they could get the physics and animation for gliding nailed down, I highly doubt a handful of climbing animations is beyond them.

Ask them how they are doing with the bulls charge animation and then rethink your statement. Its been almost 3 years and still no fix

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube