Suggestion: player camera improvements

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Nope. FPV was created just to enjoy the scenery without any UI distraction, or characters.

Uh huh, why add the shake effect then, why make it so we see those blurs? remove those blurs, they take away from the “scenery”.

Because they didn’t add the effects. All they did was move the camera in some and make it so you don’t see your own character model, presumably including the weapons. I imagine it would be considerably harder to figure out how to make it show the weapons but not anything else, and even if it’s not, they didn’t put FPV in for fighting.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

Nope. FPV was created just to enjoy the scenery without any UI distraction, or characters.

Uh huh, why add the shake effect then, why make it so we see those blurs? remove those blurs, they take away from the “scenery”.

Because they didn’t add the effects. All they did was move the camera in some and make it so you don’t see your own character model, presumably including the weapons. I imagine it would be considerably harder to figure out how to make it show the weapons but not anything else.

Why not keep everything else? that would be a step up from skyrim where its just a pair of floating arms.

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

FP is mostly just screenshotting, and helping in tight spots. Personally, I don’t want weapons blocking the view.

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

What shake effect, the one that was already in the game?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

What shake effect, the one that was already in the game?

It’s a ridiculously noticeable effect now since all that was done was moving the camera to a different spot, so there’s no need to get snarky with someone for wondering why a simple feature is so extremely disjointed from normal gameplay. I noticed the screen shaking last night after trying first person, and although I figured it out, it seemed like something that shouldn’t happen so initially it was so extreme I thought it was an added feature.

Kash
NSP

Posted by: Branden Gee.2150

Previous

Branden Gee.2150

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Requested Features List:
(Please note this does not mean that any of these things will happen, won’t happen, are planned to happen, and or not planned to happen)

• Increase max dolly (camera distance) distance
  • Decrease min dolly distance
  • Automatic camera height adjustment on /sleep emote
  • Look at camera
  • Free orientation movement
  • Fix automatic camera height so that the over the shoulder camera works as it would be expected to work
  • Look acceleration toggle
  • Keep drawing mouse cursor when right clicking toggle
  • Keybind toggle for holding right mouse down / click once to toggle option
  • Keybind for look up and look down
  • ‘selfie’ mode
  • In and Out of combat camera differentiation
  • First person camera
  • Transition smoothing when spectating in PvP
  • Manual FoV adjustment
  • More finite dolly control
  • Manual camera height adjustment
  • Stop ‘random snapping’ from happening

Here’s the current list of things to address with the camera changes.
(Please note this does not mean that any of these things will happen, won’t happen, are planned to happen, and or not planned to happen)

• Optimization to Camera
  • Camera Head Height Consistency
  • Underwater Vertical Slider Behavior
  • Fov on Login Reset
  • Fov on Pvp Map Load Reset
  • Engi Kits, Aegis and other effects do not hide properly

(edited by Branden Gee.2150)

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Requested Features List:

• Look at camera
  • Fix automatic camera height so that the over the shoulder camera works as it would be expected to work
  • ‘selfie’ mode
  • First person camera
  • Manual FoV adjustment

• Optimization to Camera
  • Fov on Login Reset

Add In-combat and out of combat camera.

In both cameras, I can customize different FoV. In an in-combat camera, I want a low FoV so I can see my target better. In an out-of-combat camera, I want high FoV so I can look at the scenary.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

It’s a ridiculously noticeable effect now since all that was done was moving the camera to a different spot, so there’s no need to get snarky with someone for wondering why a simple feature is so extremely disjointed from normal gameplay.

You get all annoying at asking a question and I’m the snarky one? k.

Anyways, it’s a kitten easy problem to solve, not something to whine about on the forums.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

FP is mostly just screenshotting, and helping in tight spots. Personally, I don’t want weapons blocking the view.

Much like the shake effect has a lil box, this too will have a lil box, please read my suggestion or the tl dr at least before posting.

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

It probably wouldn’t look the way you’d expect it to look. If weapons were visible:

• Most of them would be seen floating in midair in front of the camera. Awkward.
  • Others would hardly be seen at all because of the fighting stance.
  • Shields would block the view entirely for some characters, in case you haven’t noticed the amount of complaints about aegis.
  • During certain animations, weapons would clip through the camera.
  • During rolls, flips and other translation-based and rotation-based animations, the weapon would appear to just fly all over the place with no rhyme or reason.

In other words, it sounds good in paper, but it would look positively awful in the game.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The problem with FPV is that it’s not really conducive to optimal play. If ANet includes first person weapons then players might assume this means that ANet is endorsing playing in FPV.

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

Amazing changes, thank you very much brandon (and the entire team)!

what I would love to see is a keybind & lock for first person so as I could change the FOV with the mousewheel, basically giving us a zoom lens.

//edit
actually, being able to map “in-/decrease fov” to keys would be even better, maybe the arrow keys “up/down”
Which leaves arrow keys “left/right” for panning.

I think this would open up tons of possibilities for video content creators as well as improve home-made vistas.

Imagine a zoom out from minimum FOV to wide angle first person and then a panning out to third person wide angle, sounds pretty sweet to me.

With the FOV set to minimum it does feel like a nice medium tele lens, perhaps adjust the depth of field in relation to the focal length and make it more shallow? It’s not an FOV setting players would use to run around the world I’m sure but since this game focuses heavily on how (our own) characters look, this might be the right tool to push that even further.

I won’t be able to spend a lot of time with the new camera options until the end of next week but what I experienced so far is nothing short of amazing, it just feels right.
My fps has always been lower, especially with everything set to max and supersampling 2560 resolution I’m very much used to having 2-3fps while taking screenshots :P
I hope you can improve the fps issues some are having.

I found the camera height options more than enough. In general I’ve gotten more than I could have hoped for and it works extremely well.

Thank you again for the amazing camera.

(edited by Michael Walker.8150)

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I would like to add my support for some of the requested features:

• Keep drawing mouse cursor when right clicking toggled.
• Keybind toggle for holding right mouse down / click once to toggle option.
• In and Out of combat camera differentiation.

I’d also like to add the following options:

• Aiming reticle option when right clicking toggled, including some reticle positioning options. Alternatively, have the cursor automatially move to the specified position and remain visible, when right clicking toggled.
• Have right clicking toggled on automatically when no panels/menus are open.

Thanks for the updates on this Branden, very much appreciated.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Add In-combat and out of combat camera.

This is a bit too much automatic zoom in and zoom out, in my opinion. The game already zooms back and forth a lot, depending on the environment and event. Except for exceptional circumstances the camera view should stay constant. Imagine how often you change between in-combat and out of combat – every few seconds in the open world in an explorable area.

What I would like instead is a possibility to custom-create a few fixed zoom levels. I would use this to create 3 levels:

• 1st person
  • almost completely zoomed out (usual gaming)
  • completely zoomed out (casually looking around, but not suited for combat, since the characters are too small and the fps is too low)

With the mouse wheel, I would simply switch between these 3 settings instead of zooming only a few percent for each mouse wheel tick as it is now.
Other players might want to create 1 or 2 additional custom zoom settings.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Requested Features List:

• Look at camera
  • ‘selfie’ mode
  • First person camera
  • Manual FoV adjustment

• Optimization to Camera
  • Fov on Login Reset

On the ‘/sleep’ one, I’m assuming that would include things like /sit and /kneel as well (which might actually need a higher tripod than sleep)?

Not sure if there is one there for more vertical control range? I’m OK with what is there now, though without the above one (changing tripod height based on standing, sitting, kneeling, sleeping), it would be more important for me. Having said that, if I ended up getting the auto-tripod with emotes, I could see others maybe wanting to drop the camera to the floor (temporarily) to film like a running scene from that perspective.

Awesome stuff, thank you for the changes and presence on the forums!

Posted by: Makovorn.1706

Makovorn.1706

-snip -

Whatever you guys do, pretty please, don’t lower the max camera height – especially while zoomed in. It works really well to be able to have the camera viewpoint slightly above your character’s head, if one would want to. For me, it improves visibility. Obviously, tastes differ, so it’s very cool to have all these options.

For example, with my norn, charr, sylvari and human characters, I can now put the vertical height slider at maximum height and combine it with the “camera to character height” checkbox. This gives me an increased height boost which works absolutely great.

Posted by: kaeru.7196

kaeru.7196

Requested Features List:
[…]

Thank you so very much for your continued efforts on this and keeping the feature requests up to date. We are very grateful to you for all you do !

Posted by: GersonSmash.1234

GersonSmash.1234

I think it is extremelly nice the new camera feature, but I take so much time changing a lot of time the setup. In WvW I like it far sometimes, most of the time I use the normal. I was thinking in a way that can save two or three setups with shortcuts to fast set.
I don’t know, was thinking it to myself I think this could be very handy.

Posted by: bssacramenti.5041

bssacramenti.5041

… at reaching out to the devs.

Hello there ArenaNet, this is my second attempt at reaching out to you about the in-game camera. The first time i tried was during the early-access beta.

Here’s my problem:
When i move my mouse with either LMB or RMB pressed and then stop my mouse instantly the camera first slowly deccelerates before coming to a complete stop.

I’ve talked about this with many of my friends and only 2 of them seem to understand my problem and feel the same about it. It caused myself and one of the 2 to eventually quit the game and the other one just sucked it up and kept playing.

Now i heard about you guys coming with new camera features so i was really excited until i discovered i still have the same problems with this in-game. Hopefully, since the camera is now in beta, you are able to implement my following suggestion:

- Add an option to disable camera ‘smoothing / acceleration / decceleration’ or whatever name you wish this give this phenomenon.

Thank you for reading, and hopefully attempt 2 at reaching out to you developers will have any success.

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

have you tried submitting a bug report in game or in the bug report subforum (couple above this one from the main forum page)

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m not sure what your definition of “slowly” is but it seems to not align at all with mine. I’ve always been satisfied with the responsiveness of the camera, and though I’m not at my computer to test it right now, I’m straining to think of any way that can be described as “slow.”

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

bssacramenti.5041

have you tried submitting a bug report in game or in the bug report subforum (couple above this one from the main forum page)

I haven’t, but i couldn’t find a suggestions board either. (maybe i wasn’t looking well enough)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs for the bugs forum.

Suggestions go in the most appropriate forum for them, not sequestered away in their own mishmosh like they used to be. So if this is a bug affecting just you, post it in Bugs, and if it’s standard camera behavior you’d prefer to change, either make your own [SUGG] thread in General or perhaps add to the https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-player-camera-improvements/first thread that is getting dev attention.

Posted by: Sebalon.5913

Sebalon.5913

I’ve had this same problem as well since the game’s launch, both with mouse and keyboard turning (though it’s much more noticeable with the keyboard). I hope they’ll get around to fixing/improving this some day. I’ve never met anyone in complete denial that this issue exists, it just seems to bother some people more/less than others.

bssacramenti.5041

I’m not sure what your definition of “slowly” is but it seems to not align at all with mine. I’ve always been satisfied with the responsiveness of the camera, and though I’m not at my computer to test it right now, I’m straining to think of any way that can be described as “slow.”

While the camera is not unresponsive, it’s when i stop moving the mouse where it feel like it first has to slow down before coming to a complete stop. It may be hard to recognize (i guess it’s only 0.1 seconds per move move, or something like that), it’s definitly not instant for me.

Let’s compare the camera to WoW’s, if you have that installed per chance. (not trying to advertise!) If i move the mouse and then IMMEDIATLY stop moving, the camera stops. If i try that i guild wars 2, it always moves that few milimeters further than i intend to.

P.S: as i said, most of my friends also do not recognize this ‘deceleration’ so i will assume most of you players won’t either. Those who do recognize it please say so in my thread

bssacramenti.5041

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs for the bugs forum.

Suggestions go in the most appropriate forum for them, not sequestered away in their own mishmosh like they used to be. So if this is a bug affecting just you, post it in Bugs, and if it’s standard camera behavior you’d prefer to change, either make your own [SUGG] thread in General or perhaps add to the https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Suggestion-player-camera-improvements/first thread that is getting dev attention.

Added [SUGG] tag, thanks for your help

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can find the official Camera Suggestions thread over in General Discussion.

Good luck.

bssacramenti.5041

Looks like my thread has been merged with this one, fine by me.

Anyways i think i’m on to something: It may feel like ‘decceleration’ but it might be just that when i stop moving the camera it slowly adjusts itself to a new distance. Like when i release the mouse button it has to zoom in -or- out slightly before coming to a complete halt. This makes it feel sluggish for me and i absolutely can’t stand it, it’s hard to explain but it makes the game unplayable for me. (and i kind of want to join my friend in gw2, but i keep quitting after an hour of having to bear this issue)

Does anyone of you recognize this? I would love an option to have this slight movement occur instantaneously to see if this helps with my problem.

EDIT: Just saw acceleration toggle on the to-do list for the devs, AWESOME. /pray that my issue is getting fixed, too!

(edited by bssacramenti.5041)

Posted by: Makovorn.1706

Makovorn.1706

-snip-

Add an option to disable camera ‘smoothing / acceleration / decceleration’ or whatever name you wish this give this phenomenon.

That’s a really good suggestion.

I’ve always wondered why the devs implemented camera smoothing – specifically, if there was some technical benefit like a slightly increased in FPS due to the easing-in/easing-out … or if it was just an aesthetic thing.

Although I kinda got used to it, it would sure be nice if there was a way for us to disable this entirely, and just have the mouse/camera have 100% responsiveness during movement without the smoothing. I know from beta to early release, they tweaked the smoothing a bit to make the camera feel less floaty and out-of-control.

Maybe there’s a way to just implement an option to disable it wholly, if one would want to?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Hotkey for toggling “First Person”

Sometimes i want to quick change POV, not go adjust settings.

Additionally…

A Template for multiple Camera Settings that could be toggled (perhaps per game mode).

Posted by: Xionos.7690

Xionos.7690

Mouse Look Toggle

All this requires is a bindable key for holding down right-click.

Mouse Buttons Bindable under Mouse Look Toggle

This makes left click and right click bindable while under a mouse look toggle.

(edited by Xionos.7690)

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

4 months ago I posted a mouse heatmap to show that the combat action takes place slightly above the middle of the screen, and I complained that the top of large things are cut off due to this.

Now I took a new heatmap from my gameplay since the patch, where I customized my FOV and camera height to my desires. Lo and behold, the heatmap moved and now the action actually takes place in the center of the screen, exactly as I thought it would. Thanks!

It is not completely in the midde because of the FOV-reset-bug after game restart and I sometimes forgot to manually correct it. If that one is fixed, I bet the action will really take place in the middle.

Left picture: after patch
Right picture: before patch

Attachments:

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

4 months ago I posted a mouse heatmap to show that the combat action takes place slightly above the middle of the screen, and I complained that the top of large things are cut off due to this.

Now I took a new heatmap from my gameplay since the patch, where I customized my FOV and camera height to my desires. Lo and behold, the heatmap moved and now the action actually takes place in the center of the screen, exactly as I thought it would. Thanks!

It is not completely in the midde because of the FOV-reset-bug after game restart and I sometimes forgot to manually correct it. If that one is fixed, I bet the action will really take place in the middle.

Left picture: after patch
Right picture: before patch

Yes, that is what constantly drove me crazy with the old system, and always feeling like I needed to look up, but couldn’t because I would end up with the camera on the ground.

Still absolutely loving the new changes!

Just wish the framerate issue could be fixed sooner rather than latter. This is an awful long time for a stability issue to get fixed. I’ve been able to have fun in pvp, but I just don’t even want to step foot in silverwastes or wvw currently.

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Alright. This is now a feedback thread! I’ll be updating the list as thoughts and ideas come in.

Please update your list once again;

• Give us a Min + Max zoom block setting
  • Ability to enter FPS view with automatic char height adjustment on minimum zoom scrolled even forward, but stop it wit the block first mentioned above; so we get the closest zoom set, then forcing more zoom simply puts it onto FPS.
  • Setting the curve of camera movement
  • FoV is nice, yet some ratio would be nice.
  • Optional “Combat Mode Crosshair” ?

P.s.: Get rid of this amateur XP Hud & the unused space between this and the minimap, or even better, let us customize position & scales like in GW1.
Maybe even Themes… Alphas….

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

Posted by: Samaruis Vulcan.7413

Samaruis Vulcan.7413

I have an Idea, make a second Vertical Camera slider, one where it solidly adjusts the camera height when you zoom out and doesn’t send your camera to the ceiling making it so all that you see of your character is their head.

The adjust to character height option is nice for first person but puts my character camera too high when I zoom out on characters. I don’t know about some people but I actually like to SEE my character when I zoom in and out, on norn the default position puts it at her belly, wile on humans it’s perfectly fine, keeping their heads within the screen on a full zoom in. So a slider just for true vertical adjustment for in between character head height check box and default is needed. These settings would need to be a per character adjustment of course.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

/laughing quite a bit

I found out during RP today that the panning camera turning your character while in first person also works when sitting.

So now you can very politely ask someone to sit and spin.

I have not got video software but I would love someone to get a film of a whole lot of people spinning in place while seated …

Posted by: Okamikazi.8652

Okamikazi.8652

Please increase the max rotation speed of the camera.

Increased speed would really help me with my custom keybinds in spvp. I already play it on max however its not enough to keep up with players.

edit: Could the “About Face” feature for the camera also get some attention as whenever a lot of things are happening on screen the camera tends to fail. Reverting to its previous location causing jerking to happen.

(edited by Okamikazi.8652)

Posted by: Monkey Fritz.9052

Monkey Fritz.9052

Thank you for the FPS fix!!! (I know it was UI and not a camera thing, but for the first time I can actually use all these new options properly with a normal fps!!)

Posted by: Kolzar.9567

Kolzar.9567

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but with the expansion becoming more and more tangible, can we get an update on whether any of these features are on the table for HoT?

Edit: In particular, Keybind toggle for holding right mouse down / click once to toggle option

Requested Features List:

• Look at camera
  • ‘selfie’ mode
  • First person camera
  • Manual FoV adjustment

• Optimization to Camera
  • Fov on Login Reset

(edited by Kolzar.9567)

Posted by: Balabhadra das.1495

Balabhadra das.1495

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but with the expansion becoming more and more tangible, can we get an update on whether any of these features are on the table for HoT?

Edit: In particular, Keybind toggle for holding right mouse down / click once to toggle option

Requested Features List:

• Look at camera
  • ‘selfie’ mode
  • First person camera
  • Manual FoV adjustment

• Optimization to Camera
  • Fov on Login Reset

This. Please add mouselook toggle.

Posted by: Naph.8017

Naph.8017

I’m having major issue with the sensitivity differences between camera control and UI point control. I’m saddened that there is still no separate sensitivity slider after the news changes and camera beta.
My current experience is that a full hand wrist movement can span the entire screen once, and the same wrist movement, holding down right click, causes the camera to complete ten whole revolutions around my character.
I would love to see two separate sliders to better help placate mouse maniacs like myself.

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

Hi !!!

I find when I am holding the right mouse button down and my character’s head turns to be very annoying. I know this has been discussed before but is there any recourse for this?
I don’t want to me charging at an enemy and my head to but looking the other way, it is very un immersive

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Posted by: Veryl.7861

Veryl.7861

Remove vista points in Ctr Shift H.
It looks really ugly if u want an epic vista shot of your group of heroes standing at a cliff….with a floating map thingy :/

Hi !!!

I find when I am holding the right mouse button down and my character’s head turns to be very annoying. I know this has been discussed before but is there any recourse for this?
I don’t want to me charging at an enemy and my head to but looking the other way, it is very un immersive

I think it’s usuable for conversations in videos where you are fighting and talking at the same time