[Suggestion] potion for phobias

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZYX.6793

ZYX.6793

Problem: People with strong phobias are sometimes exposed to traumatic content, and might avoid certain parts of the game altogether.

Sollution:
Make a ingame item that can for the player visually replace one monster type for another, Like e. g. A alchemist potion that swaps Spiders with earth ele.

This would make people with strong phobias (e.g Arachnophobics vs spiders) able to play otherwise traumatic content.

Ingame example of similar mechanic:
Bobblehead laboratory shows that it is possible to have a ingame item that alter the visual aperance of monsters.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I have a spider phobia. I take great pleasure in killing every eight legged hideous monstrosity I can find.

Which can be hard with your eyes closed mind you….

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I love this idea. I’m arachnophobic too and although most of the time I can live with it I’d love an item that makes spiders look like something else.

Ideally it should be something you can activate when you’re in combat, in case a spider attacks unexpectedly.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

How about no. More creepy stuff should be added.

How about we go back to the Realm of Torment, travelling through what appears to be pulsating intestines filled with spiders, or navigating a landscape that is literally a pile of gigantic dead bugs was an experience.

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Posted by: blade.6052

blade.6052

I think that’s a great idea. It won’t affect me but there is someone in my guild who is strongly affected by spiders, it would definitely help him enjoy the game more and participate in a certain guild event.

Probably unlikely we would see this in game but would definitely be a welcomed addition to a lot of players.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

How about no. More creepy stuff should be added.

How about we go back to the Realm of Torment, travelling through what appears to be pulsating intestines filled with spiders, or navigating a landscape that is literally a pile of gigantic dead bugs was an experience.

I think you’re confusing phobias with being easily frightened in general.

Someone who has a phobia of spiders could be completely unaffected by blood and guts or ghosts or zombies or whatever else. It’s just that one specific thing that they are afraid of. I’m phobic of spiders and I really enjoyed the Realm of Torment, I thought it was a very creative landscape and would often get distracted during missions by looking at the scenery and crazy creatures.

Likewise someone who is phobic of snakes could be fine with all of the above and spiders but would freak out if they saw a snake.

This isn’t a thread asking for Anet to remove “creepy stuff” from the game. Or even asking for them to remove specific things people are afraid of.

All the OP is asking for is an item that would change the appearance of certain enemies for them only. Like the bobblehead lab – if you don’t want to see the effects you don’t use it and everything goes on as normal. But if you do then you have the option.

Many games have this in the form of mods that replace the spider models with something else (dogs or wolves commonly), but obviously that’s not an option here.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I’m getting awfully claustrophobic lately. It seems more crowded than ever these days. Can I get a potion to turn other players (in PvE) invisible? I’d pay handsomely. ANet? …I’m not joking. I want the lower population server back that I signed up for when I created my account. (You can’t spell “Megaserver” without the “grr”).

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: ZoSo.4867

ZoSo.4867

Well I have a big (and irrational) fear of dead bugs in real life (I’d rather have a live tarantula on my hand then a dead mosquito!) and a fear of heights but I have never encountered a moment in the game where I can not continue playing because I see either of those things. Granted the maggot’s heads exploding and spider egg sacks exploding do give me the willies.

But I am not really sure how such an item could be added to the game, we have the option in PvP to make players share the same models but in that scenario we all have humanoid models of various sizes which is easy to translate to a single model.

On the other hand what could be an effective replacement for spiders? It would be odd having a giant dog or drake replace larger spider bosses and knowing what type of attack they are telegraphing, is the dog shooting poison or webs at me?, plus the hit boxes would be a bit off.

Now that I think about it maybe they could replace them with the plastic spider models from Halloween? It would fix all the problems I mentioned above and could be a lot easier than finding a new animal to replace them!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Although I understand the sentiment, especially if your phobia is severe, I would think that for most people, having a way to enable “avoidance” of the fear is just that… another way of avoiding the fear.

I realize you’re asking for an option, not a removal of the fear-inducing stuff. I’m just not convinced that it’s actually helpful to the people with those phobias, even if they might think it is.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Well.. then again its a fantasy mmorpg…spiders are to expect..along with bats, large rodents and spooky scary skeletons…or zombies…or something along those lines. Sorta a stereotypical thing mmorpgs and rpg games in general just do. Not wanna sound mean.. but if you cant handle these rather well established “base mobs” that are to find in pretty much everything from the very first ultima games up to modern fantasy related games then you prolly should look for another genre to play or just man(or woman) up and understand that this isnt a real spider. Im scared kittenless of dolls… and this darn (i guess) wintersday doll mini really makes my neckhair stand with that “laugh”..still not a real thing so whatever lol.

Posted by: Sogradde.8016

Sogradde.8016

This is the kind of players ANet caters to.. Thank you all for ruining the game.

Midnight Mayhem [MM]
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I have a guildy who has a phobia of spiders and in real life, wouldn’t be seen in the same room as one (or most other bugs for that matter). But, in game he’s fine killing them, I guess because he knows they are not real. To be honest, I’ve never understood why people would apply the same fears to a virtual world as they do to the real world. I have a fear of heights in real life but that hasn’t stopped me from doing JP’s in GW2 (though strangely enough, I do sometimes get this weird sinking feeling when I fall from a high height in game).

I’m honestly against these kinds of changes though. Aside from the mechanical issues, I think they detract too much from the areas of the game that actually do need improvement, or divert resources that could be used to instead introduce more pertinent, meaningful gameplay content.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I pretty much doubt things in this game trigger phobias in the vast majority of cases.

Posted by: Charleston Chew.1209

Charleston Chew.1209

Face your fears or move to Hello Kitty Online. Are you gonna run away your whole life? Boo hoo I’m so insensitive. Cry me a river and drown the spiders in it.

Kill me again or take me as I am,
for I shall not change.

Posted by: jackaljag.8637

jackaljag.8637

Although I understand the sentiment, especially if your phobia is severe, I would think that for most people, having a way to enable “avoidance” of the fear is just that… another way of avoiding the fear.

I realize you’re asking for an option, not a removal of the fear-inducing stuff. I’m just not convinced that it’s actually helpful to the people with those phobias, even if they might think it is.

Avoidance is a valid coping mechanism and there is literally nothing wrong with it. Removing a stressful stimulus to allow for people to not have to deal with stuff that distresses them is helpful.

@OP sorry about the insensitive people. Personally I think it’d be a good idea, especially if it could be extended to various types of mobs to cover as many phobias as possible. Accessibility is always a good thing in my books.

Joran Blackgear – Engineer – EU | Juras Blackpowder – Engineer – NA

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Avoidance is a valid coping mechanism and there is literally nothing wrong with it. Removing a stressful stimulus to allow for people to not have to deal with stuff that distresses them is helpful.

@OP sorry about the insensitive people. Personally I think it’d be a good idea, especially if it could be extended to various types of mobs to cover as many phobias as possible. Accessibility is always a good thing in my books.

While the odd person has been insensitive, the others bring up valid points as to why implementing this kind of mechanic would be impractical. For example, if you choose to replace spiders with earth elementals, then what about attack animations? How do you synergize them properly for earth elementals shooting webs, or to show them coming down from the ceiling like spiders do?

Or, what if I have a fear of crustaceans, and I use a potion to replace all the Karka in Southsun Cove with bears? How will ANet show the Karka rolling attack? By making bears roll? If so, then that’s just more programming for more animations for more creatures. Not only would they have to program it so bears can roll, they’d have to do it for every single other creature type or model that the player might decide to replace Karka with. This would involve tons of resources and development time, which could instead be used improve other underdeveloped aspects of the game that need much more attention.

That’s just an example, but the point remains, the suggestion as a whole is impractical. I don’t think there’s any easy way to resolve the problem if someone happens to have a phobia regarding something in a game (for example, how would you solve a phobia regarding heights or deep water?), so in my opinion, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to simply expect gamers to avoid games or game content that involves their particular phobia, if it is truly that unbearable. If Devs are just trying to cater for every single phobia out there, they’d be going at it forever.

(edited by Tenrai Senshi.2017)

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

It’s a nice idea, but sounds like a fair bit of work for Anet with no real reward for them. And let’s face it, if this appeared in the gem-store, there would be outrage.

Still, I’d like to be able turn everything into quaggans. Do I have any phobias? No. But I like quaggans.

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

I have a very severe phobia of blue, green and yellow. Can I please get an in-game potion, which transforms all blue, green and yellow items to orange and/or pink items?

Posted by: Charleston Chew.1209

Charleston Chew.1209

Tryptophobia. Google it. There. Now you have it.

Kill me again or take me as I am,
for I shall not change.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I have galeophobia.

Because of it I avoid Orr waters pretty much completely.

This seems like a good idea, but I’d rather just work on trying to get over it instead of asking for a potion so I dont have to deal.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I’ve got to learn to stop googling stuff. The pictures (stupid google auto including images in the web search) that showed up shudder. Now I can’t get them out of my mind.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I’ve got to learn to stop googling stuff. The pictures that showed up shudder. Now I can’t get them out of my mind.

Thank you dictionary for not being able to figure out what the hell that was.

crisis averted.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

No, I get that. I actually understand what you’re saying perfectly. But I’m not sure you’re following what I’m getting at.

What I mean goes something like this: I have some mild social anxieties. Avoiding social interaction is “helpful” to me, at least in the perceptible short-term. I never have to confront the anxiety or feel unpleasant because of it.

The problem is, in the long-term I’m teaching myself that I’m avoiding something dangerous to my person. With some phobias, I can see where legitimate concern might come from. If someone lives in an area with lots of poisonous spiders, I can see why they would have every reason to be afraid of spiders.

But most of the time, a phobia is considered something where the person’s fear is disproportionate to the harm that could occur and it’s largely irrational.

Maybe in the extreme, it’s going to require a lot of therapy to get over a phobia and so some video game avoidance isn’t going to make a difference. But for those for whom it’s more mild, I think the exposure may actually help them.

Does that make sense?

Or words to that effect.