[Suggestion] Put precursors in the gem store

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Talzed.4153

Talzed.4153

The idea of the gem store was originally for convenience items and cosmetics. Clearly precursors are a cosmetic.

This would stabilize the prices which would lessen inflation. It would lead to more people buying gems, which Anet would like.

They should still be available as random drops-kind of like the hair style kits can be bought or found as rare loot .

Seems like a simple fix to a vexing problem.

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

Oh I can’t wait to read the responses.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Or put in a way for people to acquire account bound precursors so that they can make an account bound legendary.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: suffish.4150

suffish.4150

I disagree with doing this because it would be even easier for people to just pay real money for long-term in-game rewards. Of course they can do it with gems → gold but this would be worse in my opinion. The pricing would have to be just right as well so as not to upset people who ground for months to get the 1k gold for their precursor. I think precursor crafting is a much better way to have a solid gold value of precursors than this but of course other people may prefer this depending on their style of play.

PvP- Stronlo Beastmaster (Ranger)
PvE- Grolex (Warrior)
PvP rank: 20 Rating: 1864 (season 7)

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

I wouldn’t care about it. I’m not going to spend ingame currency to buy a precursor on the TP, and I’m not going to spend real money (o ingame one for that matter) if they ever put precursors in the gemstore.

/stillwaitingforthescavengerhuntnotgoingtogiveup :P

It’s a-me, Aria!

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I dont think gem store is the way to go.
I would like to see a version of Iason’s idea about acquiring account bound precursors either by crafting or some sort of guaranteed reward and thus making the legendary account bound.
Also maybe some way of an NPC trader that accepts a way to swap your precursor for another of your choice (may have to account bound that) would be nice as all the precurors i’ve had as drops haven’t been the one i wanted and so far i’ve had to buy 5 that i wanted.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Buy gold for gems → buy precurser from TP.

See .. you already can do that.

Else if they would produce masses of precursers out of thin air, what do you think
would happen with prices of T6 mats and other stuff you need for legendarys ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Precursors in the gem store = Pay to win. Period. There really is no other way to look at it. Crafting a legendary is the end game, but now you put it behind a pay wall. A move like this would be a terible, terrible, terrible, most horrible and Grenth blasted idea ever.

No.

Edit: Pay to win is referring to skins, and not stats. There is a perception that obtaining all the highly sought after items for their skins (because with the normalization of stats, end game gear is very easy to obtain) is “winning” the game. For others, it’s actually getting a Legendary weapon, or several.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

If the precursor was account bound, as well as the Legendary was too…I’d have no problems. They can’t flood the market and make it bottom out. Granted, I am someone who thinks that Legendaries shouldn’t be able to be listed on the TP anyway.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Precursors in the gem store = Pay to win. Period. There really is no other way to look at it. Crafting a legendary is the end game, but now you put it behind a pay wall. A move like this would be a terible, terrible, terrible, most horrible and Grenth blasted idea ever.

No.

Not really “Pay to Win” (in that owning a legendary does not give you any form of combat advantage over someone who has an ascended weapon of the same type), but pretty detestable all the same.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

For the love of god, don’t do it. We have enough horsekitten claims of Pay 2 Win.

pdavis.8031

No.

Not really “Pay to Win” (in that owning a legendary does not give you any form of combat advantage over someone who has an ascended weapon of the same type), but pretty detestable all the same.

Oh I understand that completely. However, Pay to Win in this game has come to be defined as getting all the skins. Which is one of the main reasons for people pursuing a Legendary weapon in the first place. Thats the same argument given about gem store exclusive armor sets, and skins, and why so many people feel that GW2 is pay to win.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Swamurabi.7890

Swamurabi.7890

No.

Oh I understand that completely. However, Pay to Win in this game has come to be defined as getting all the skins. Which is one of the main reasons for people pursuing a Legendary weapon in the first place. Thats the same argument given about gem store exclusive armor sets, and skins, and why so many people feel that GW2 is pay to win.

Pay to win is NOT defined as having all the skins and never has been for GW1 or GW2.

Pay to win IS defined as paying for best in slot, which skins aren’t, but Legendaries are.

pdavis.8031

No.

Pay to win is NOT defined as having all the skins and never has been for GW1 or GW2.

Pay to win IS defined as paying for best in slot, which skins aren’t, but Legendaries are.

Again, I understand that, but there has been numerous threads commenting on the gem store, and the armor/weapons skins therein, and how you can use real money to buy the gems to get those skins. Which in some peoples mind equates pay to win. I don’t agree with that assessment, but that sentiment does exist.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

I don’t understand people here. You can already buy gems with real money and convert to gold. Do you honestly think nobody has ever done this?

The only thing that would be accomplished by putting pres in the gemstore is that you’d stabilize the price and cause the gold price of gems to increase.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No.

Again, I understand that, but there has been numerous threads commenting on the gem store, and the armor/weapons skins therein, and how you can use real money to buy the gems to get those skins. Which in some peoples mind equates pay to win. I don’t agree with that assessment, but that sentiment does exist.

Understood but a few people being wrong about what constitutes pay to win doesnt change what is and is not pay to win.

There are people on the internet who believe that the world is flat too.

A more interesting point, IMO, than whether or not a skin qualifies as PtW is whether or not the minor (if at all) mechanical advantage of stat switching would qualify.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

No.

You can already do it. The price is just in gold, not gems.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

no

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

For the love of god, don’t do it. We have enough horsekitten claims of Pay 2 Win.

It’s already been done in essence.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

no

pdavis.8031

No.

Understood but a few people being wrong about what constitutes pay to win doesnt change what is and is not pay to win.

There are people on the internet who believe that the world is flat too.

Hehehe True, I was just bringing attention to the argument as I am sure there are many others that will eventually try to go more into depth with it. In any event, locking precursors behind the gem store would be a terrible idea, and cause many people be kittened off to no end.

recognize my command!”

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Guys, seriously, think about it. $10=800 gems=X gold. Precursor costs Y gold. Z is the some factor you can multiple X by to get Y. So, Z units of $10=Z units of 800 gems=Z units of X Gold = precursor.

YOU CAN ALREADY BUY A PRECURSOR WITH REAL MONEY.

Edit: Which, coincidentally, was the whole reason precursors are not account bound and are rare and is the probably reason that the scavenger hunt has never panned out. People buy gems with real money to get the gold to buy a precursor. Precursors being non-account bound and so rare makes ANET money.

(edited by Nevets Crimsonwing.5271)

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Guys, seriously, think about it. $10=800 gems=X gold. Precursor costs Y gold. Z is the some factor you can multiple X by to get Y. So, Z units of $10=Z units of 800 gems=Z units of X Gold = precursor.

What? When did they put this in? This is an outrage!!!!

Yargesh.4965

no

But not in fact so no.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

no

But not in fact so no.

There’s no meaningful distinction, at least that people here are arguing about, so yes.

pdavis.8031

Yes you can, but thats not the point. Making something that was obtainable in game, and with in game currency, available ONLY through payment of real currency is just a terrible idea. Yeah it would increase gem sales, but destroy the precursor market on the TP, which in turn would cause a significant loss of a valued gold sink. I believe such a loss would also effect the prices of mats, and have far reaching negative effect on the economy as a whole.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

I just jumped here to say that my popcorn is ready.

And well to not create offtopic; i have already seen so many ppl with legendaries that i dont think precurson is a problem anymore for someone that truly wants to get legendary. Just look at zerks or dung runners – half of them wields legendaries to the point that i dont see these weapons as legendary anymore.

Also if they add precurson to gemstore then prepare for rates like 100g/1gem, and whats about t6 mats etc?

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

I can see it now every single player in the game running around with all the legendaries. I dont think arenanet is that stupid to add precursors to the cash shop.

wont happen (the everyone with every legend thing). if precursors lost their value (which they would unless it were like 2000 gems for precursor, even then some would still lose value). Then T6 mats/ectos would increase in value by at least double if not more (depending on the number of T6 mat farmers that dont want a legendary). Although i guess this would create a new thing: T6 mat trains.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Say there’s some rare item that can only be bought in a Chinese shop with yuan. People on this thread against this suggestion are just arguing that that rare item shouldn’t be purchasable with American dollars.

Defenders say, “Lol what difference does it make? I can already convert my American dollars into yuan and buy the item, who cares if they start to accept American dollars? Why is bypassing the conversion process meaningful?”

It’s the same thing.

Ashen.2907

Yes you can, but thats not the point. Making something that was obtainable in game, and with in game currency, available ONLY through payment of real currency is just a terrible idea. Yeah it would increase gem sales, but destroy the precursor market on the TP, which in turn would cause a significant loss of a valued gold sink. I believe such a loss would also effect the prices of mats, and have far reaching negative effect on the economy as a whole.

The OP suggestion specifically states that precursors would not be available ONLY through payment of real money.

Jerus.4350

Are you forgetting Gold→Gem conversion?

Not saying I support the OP’s idea, but seriously people remember there is a Gold→Gem and Gem→Gold conversion…

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Not trying to be rude, honestly, but where did you read the suggestion was to make the item only available via real currency? The OP didn’t suggest that.

Also, the only way this would affect the economy is if the gem prices didn’t reflect the current conversion value. Like, if they offered pres for 200 gems, then obviously this is much less than current market value. You’ve created a price ceiling for pres. However, if you set the price near current market value, like around 2,000 or so gems as suggested above (I’ve not done the maths,) you’d see no change in the economy whatsoever.

Yargesh.4965

Yes there is gem to gold and vice versa, but when you put a gem price on then the precursor price is fixed, never to change. That is not the point or they would have a NPC selling them long ago.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Yes there is gem to gold and vice versa, but when you put a gem price on then the precursor price is fixed, never to change. That is not the point or they would have a NPC selling them long ago.

This is a legitimate argument.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Not trying to be rude, honestly, but where did you read the suggestion was to make the item only available via real currency? The OP didn’t suggest that.

Also, the only way this would affect the economy is if the gem prices didn’t reflect the current conversion value. Like, if they offered pres for 200 gems, then obviously this is much less than current market value. You’ve created a price ceiling for pres. However, if you set the price near current market value, like around 2,000 or so gems as suggested above (I’ve not done the maths,) you’d see no change in the economy whatsoever.

Actually you would. Gems to Gold and Gold to Gems do not convert at the same rate. If you were basing it off the value of gold to gems conversion to get it, it would be much more cheaper to buy the gems with cash instead of converting cash to gold at a lower value rate.

In essence you are making the precursor cheaper when it comes to real world money which would affect the price because people currently are required to go through the gem -> gold conversion. People will not do that if you charge a flat gem rate for precursors and thus stop paying gold for precursors until the price dropped and equalized.

And making them available through the gemstone will likely increase the demand for other materials required to make legendaries.

You can already buy a precursor for real world money going through the conversion. I don’t see why we need to disturb the economy by charging Gems for the current precursors.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

pdavis.8031

Are you forgetting Gold->Gem conversion?

Not saying I support the OP’s idea, but seriously people remember there is a Gold->Gem and Gem->Gold conversion…

Ok look at it this way.
More people farm gold and convert to gems. Prices of gems skyrockets. There will be less people convert gems to gold, which help keep gem prices down. Also, the rare/exotic weapon markets fall. No one is buying them to throw in the Mystic forge to get a precursor. Which in turn causes the mat prices to fall (for a time as there is less demand), as no one is crafting rare/exotic weapons to sell. There is now a significant gold sink (TP fees for buying and selling mats and weapons) lost. Which means there is more gold in-game which leads to inflation of gold. Which has an effect on ALL prices of everything on the TP. Which in turn leads to prices being higher as there is more gold in circulation. Now the prices COULD balance out eventually, IF the amount of gold going into gem conversion is equal to the amount of gold removed through the game through TP transactions.

However, I am sure there are people who are much more qualified to speculate on the market better than I can on this matter, but thats how I see it happening.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Gobble D Goop.4081

Gobble D Goop.4081

Say there’s some rare item that can only be bought in a Chinese shop with yuan. People on this thread against this suggestion are just arguing that that rare item shouldn’t be purchasable with American dollars.

Defenders say, “Lol what difference does it make? I can already convert my American dollars into yuan and buy the item, who cares if they start to accept American dollars? Why is bypassing the conversion process meaningful?”

It’s the same thing.

actually it isn’t quite the same thing. The precursors listed on the market were drops from somewhere in the game. Precursors drop at an incredibly rare rate. If precursors were added to the gem store, that rate would increase significantly (especially since the OP suggested keeping the precursors as a drop in all loot tables).

Your analogy isnt quite as accurate as you would hope. in the real world, there is only a limited (and likely low) amount of the aforementioned rare swords (otherwise they would not be rare). In the game world, the items are generated from nothing. Because of this, the precursors themselves would no longer be rare. to be fair though, allowing precursors to be crafted would also cause them to lose their rarity as well.

I dont see them doing this though since they have never released an exotic item on the gem store.

Habitual Warrior-Ranger
Gates Of Madness
Jewelcrafting to 500!

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Bad idea is bad.

/thread

P.S. This is why they got rid of the Suggestion subforum.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

Why the discussion on this? Amyone can buy enough gems to convert to gold for precusors. Heck I spent $40 on gems to finish my savings for Dawn. To buy the precusor outright would be very expensive (was around $200 when I was saving).

Posted by: Nienow.1705

Nienow.1705

no

Sea of Sorrows

Jerus.4350

Not saying I support the OP’s idea, but seriously people remember there is a Gold->Gem and Gem->Gold conversion…

Ok look at it this way.
More people farm gold and convert to gems. Prices of gems skyrockets. There will be less people convert gems to gold, which help keep gem prices down. Also, the rare/exotic weapon markets fall. No one is buying them to throw in the Mystic forge to get a precursor. Which in turn causes the mat prices to fall (for a time as there is less demand), as no one is crafting rare/exotic weapons to sell. There is now a significant gold sink (TP fees for buying and selling mats and weapons) lost. Which means there is more gold in-game which leads to inflation of gold. Which has an effect on ALL prices of everything on the TP. Which in turn leads to prices being higher as there is more gold in circulation. Now the prices COULD balance out eventually, IF the amount of gold going into gem conversion is equal to the amount of gold removed through the game through TP transactions.

However, I am sure there are people who are much more qualified to speculate on the market better than I can on this matter, but thats how I see it happening.

Again, not in support of the OP’s idea. I simply think people forget about conversion too often. As Nevets has been pointing out, you can already buy Pre’s with gems… you simply have to convert them into gold…

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

It’s the same thing.

actually it isn’t quite the same thing. The precursors listed on the market were drops from somewhere in the game. Precursors drop at an incredibly rare rate. If precursors were added to the gem store, that rate would increase significantly (especially since the OP suggested keeping the precursors as a drop in all loot tables).

Your analogy isnt quite as accurate as you would hope. in the real world, there is only a limited (and likely low) amount of the aforementioned rare swords (otherwise they would not be rare). In the game world, the items are generated from nothing. Because of this, the precursors themselves would no longer be rare. to be fair though, allowing precursors to be crafted would also cause them to lose their rarity as well.

I dont see them doing this though since they have never released an exotic item on the gem store.

Check your assumptions.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Ok look at it this way.

Why would people convert to gems to get the pre and not just buy with the gold they just farmed?

Ashen.2907

Adding precursors to the gemstore does seem as if it would all but guarantee an increase in supply. To what degree we cannot know at this point but an increase would be so very likely as to be essentially a certainty.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

Why would people convert to gems to get the pre and not just buy with the gold they just farmed?

Not everyone farms gold.

There are people in this game that want instant gratification in this game with no work or effort involved and are willing to pay real money for it instead of farm. Nothing wrong with that as it drives markets. I promise legendaries are one of the biggest of the the biggest driving factor behind gem->gold conversions.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Cyrrin.1230

Cyrrin.1230

Put legendaries in the gem store please. Oh wait, CC then Gem → Gold.

D:

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Ok look at it this way.

Again, not in support of the OP’s idea. I simply think people forget about conversion too often. As Nevets has been pointing out, you can already buy Pre’s with gems… you simply have to convert them into gold…

Yeah. The only legitimate argument I’ve seen is about keeping the prices static, which this would certainly do unless ANET changed the price of the pre in gems over time.

The other argument was about the conversion rate being unequal, which I hadn’t thought about.

So, let me work this one out.

Let’s say a pre is 500 gold on the TP. Let’s say $100 will get you 500 gems and each gem is worth 1 gold if you convert from gems to gold. So if 1 pre were priced at 500 gems, someone buying the pre from the gem store rather than the TP would be paying the same price. The seller’s gold fee from the transaction wouldn’t be removed from the economy, this is definitely true. So there’s a second argument against this idea. But what about the person who doesn’t use real money? Well, to get 500 gems using in-game gold, the person has to pay more. So instead of 500 gems=500 gold, the person BUYING gems must pay more, say 750 gold.

So the person who DOESN’T want to spend real money can buy the item off the TP for 500 gold, or he can buy 500 gems for 750 gold and buy the TP from the gemstore. Of course he’s going to choose the second option, thus incentivizing the TP gold sink.

Right?

(edited by Nevets Crimsonwing.5271)

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Adding precursors to the gemstore does seem as if it would all but guarantee an increase in supply. To what degree we cannot know at this point but an increase would be so very likely as to be essentially a certainty.

Only if the price was lower than current market value.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Not everyone farms gold.

There are people in this game that want instant gratification in this game with no work or effort involved and are willing to pay real money for it instead of farm. Nothing wrong with that as it drives markets. I promise legendaries are one of the biggest of the the biggest driving factor behind gem->gold conversions.

I’m well aware, and those people can already pay real money for the pres. The person I quoted is arguing under the premise that pres would ONLY be available in the gem store, which wasn’t the OPs original suggestion.

Nevets Crimsonwing.5271

Forum bug or lock?