[Suggestion] ranged weaponry overhaul

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

Consider introducing an ammo.

Ammo can be created by crafters, or looted from (ranged) mobs. Ammo comes in different qualities, better ammo gives conditions etc. and more damage. Must be carried in inventory. Once all ammo is spent, it is not possible to use ranged weapons anymore.

Some ascended back items can be unlimited (or limited ammount per day) source of the very basic ammo.

Increase ranged weapon damage so it is on par with melee weapons, or higher. Increase range of ranged weapons. Add a chance for a miss when attacking a very distant target.

Consider making flying mobs out of the melee weapons reach when airborne and not attacking by a melee attack. These mobs can be hit by a ranged weapon though, as long as they are in effective range.

Create a new class of game animals, who would normally flee from players, but can he hunted with ranged weapons (or using stealth). There animals have a guaranteed leather drop (i.e. leather “nodes”).

Posted by: Mad Pig.2890

Mad Pig.2890

I would just like to see a class other than Engineer use rifles effectively.

Like for…Ranger…maybe.

You think your life is hard? You don’t even main a Ranger.
~Desolation~

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Ah yes. Fond memories of playing FFXI. One of my friends mained ranger, possibly the most expensive job to play there. Shooting money at the enemy to kill it. Having to craft stacks and stacks of ammo before going out adventuring. “Sorry guys, down to my last stack of ammo, gonna call it in 15.” “Oh kitten it, missed the skillchain cause I didn’t equip more ammo.”

I’m a no for ammo.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

I hated, absolutely hated, ammo for Ranged weapons in other MMOs. It was so stupid and ridiculous. You either had to kitten your damage, or have a maintenance cost.

No, nope, never, ever, negative. NOPE.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Ranged in this game already borders on useless and you want to make it even less viable and fun?

No thanx.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Xia.3485

Xia.3485

Next you’ll want mana for elementalist? My fire elemental would like some words with you over by that tar field.

Posted by: Lankybird.8149

Lankybird.8149

Ranged in this game already borders on useless and you want to make it even less viable and fun?

No thanx.

What?! You guys must be high. First off Range is OP. Consider the fact the most common build right now is HamBow for WARRIORS, WARRIORS are tearing it up range in PVE and PVP. I agree rangers should be able to use Rifles but no buff of ANY kind is needed to range. That is all. Thank you…

Azreell.1568

Next you’ll want mana for elementalist? My fire elemental would like some words with you over by that tar field.

Resource management in games is actually a good thing.

It provides strategy instead of mindlessly mashing keys.

But, this proposed idea is limiting an already inferior dps model.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Name.9625

Name.9625

Thanks, but no. Seriously.

Xia.3485

Mana is not a proper resource management model. Ammo is not a proper resource management model either.

Thief initiative is.

Nothing in this thread points to a proper resource management model where you balance level, sources of income vs sources of usage. And most games that use mana fail in that respect as well. Just look at world of warcraft’s mages… if the fight is longer than 5 min your SOL (unless you’re arcane that works on a 2 minute mana cycle using evocation, which was fun to play).

Azreell.1568

Mana is not a proper resource management model. Ammo is not a proper resource management model either.

Thief initiative is.

Nothing in this thread points to a proper resource management model where you balance level, sources of income vs sources of usage. And most games that use mana fail in that respect as well. Just look at world of warcraft’s mages… if the fight is longer than 5 min your SOL (unless you’re arcane that works on a 2 minute mana cycle using evocation, which was fun to play).

Why do people keep posting examples or assumptions about games that are ridiculously out of date.

I suggest before using a game or class as a reference you actually see how said game or class is currently.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Xia.3485

Why do people keep posting examples or assumptions about games that are ridiculously out of date.

I suggest before using a game or class as a reference you actually see how said game or class is currently.

Why do people keep posting tangential topics in post about ammunition and expect people to interpret it their way?

And no, I will not re-install wow just to satisfy you. In fact, I’m quite content with the current system for elementalist as-is.

My earth elemental would like a word with you next to this quicksand pit.

Azreell.1568

Why do people keep posting tangential topics in post about ammunition and expect people to interpret it their way?

And no, I will not re-install wow just to satisfy you. In fact, I’m quite content with the current system for elementalist as-is.

My earth elemental would like a word with you next to this quicksand pit.

How is anything you just said relevant to the topic.

And from your responses I can see how mashing keys would appease you.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Xia.3485

Lets review the thread shall we.

Op wants: Ammo as a consumable that can be crafted and has different forms that yield different bonuses. Buff range weapon damage and or range. Making certain mobs range only (aka flying) and adding wild game to the game.

You chime in saying it would be a good resource management model….

Yes because anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Gotcha.

GW2 can use some work, yes. But this isn’t the way to go about it.

Azreell.1568

Lets review the thread shall we.

Op wants: Ammo as a consumable that can be crafted and has different forms that yield different bonuses. Buff range weapon damage and or range. Making certain mobs range only (aka flying) and adding wild game to the game.

You chime in saying it would be a good resource management model….

Yes because anyone who disagrees with you is an idiot. Gotcha.

GW2 can use some work, yes. But this isn’t the way to go about it.

Where did I ever agree with this suggestion or say it would be a good resource model?

I would love to see you link a quote with me saying that.

Matter of fact I did nothing but disagree with the OP in this topic.

After reading your replies- I can see how easily you get confused and would be against any type of resource management system.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Xia.3485

Where did I ever agree with this suggestion or say it would be a good resource model?

I disagree with his ammo idea. I state the equivalent for an elementalist would be mana or some sort. You state mana would be a good idea..

Its rather implicit.

Seeing how anet implements things, I’d rather they didn’t touch the mana idea at all. And I definitely don’t like the idea of mana as a finite resource I’d need to craft. Which is the main subject of this thread. Hence your tangent being interpreted differently than you imagined.

Azreell.1568

I disagree with his ammo idea. I state the equivalent for an elementalist would be mana or some sort. You state mana would be a good idea..

Its rather implicit.

Seeing how anet implements things, I’d rather they didn’t touch the mana idea at all. And I definitely don’t like the idea of mana as a finite resource I’d need to craft. Which is the main subject of this thread. Hence your tangent being interpreted differently than you imagined.

Fair enough.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Posted by: Mazdan.2071

Mazdan.2071

Way against this. Ammo clogs up inventory spaces.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

What?! You guys must be high. First off Range is OP. Consider the fact the most common build right now is HamBow for WARRIORS, WARRIORS are tearing it up range in PVE and PVP. I agree rangers should be able to use Rifles but no buff of ANY kind is needed to range. That is all. Thank you…

Hambow is a PvP focused build and not the most common build in PvE. Range is not OP in this game.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Fext.3614

Fext.3614

You don’t get it, guys.
With an ammo introduction must come a higher damage for the ranged weapons. So yes you shoot money at your mob but it is still worth it. But this is how anything ranged works, and it makes a balance in a word where you mix melee and ranged.
Also, if you want to be at safe distance in combat, well you pay for it.