[Suggestions] New Playable Races

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

(snip)
Centaurs are unable to swim and dive!! They are simply impossible to design for any Underwater Content
A horse just can barely swim, as long theres ground under their legs, but take away the ground under their legs and the swimming will become quickly a death trap for them once they run out of endurance to keep their massive bodies/nose above the water to breathe.
A horse practically doesn’t swim, it goes through the water as long it has contact to the ground more or less to keep its nose above the water mirror. Or have you ever seen a horse diving under water? Not to mention that Anet would have to make completely new movement animations and all that extra for them just to make them viable for a game content part, that has seen since game release absolutely no attention at all!! (snip)

I don’t know why you think horses need contact with the ground and would drown in short order in deeper water, but horses can swim. There was a fad where horses, sometimes with a rider and sometimes not, leaped off high places into deep water. They had to swim underwater to get to the surface and then swim to shore. Granted, horses don’t usually swim underwater or dive off high places but they can if they have to.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_horse

Show me a horse, that would ever get “naturally” into such a situation … that link shows an idiotic manipulated situation for the ret*rded “entertainment” for some humans of the past that were so dumb to pay for any kind of entertainment back then anything, just to be able to see for a short moment of their boring lives something “new and exiting” about something that they normally would never get to see happening, because the options for getting entertainment in the past were alot lesser, than what we can do all today to entertain us self without having to force animals to do such stupid things for our entertainment with that they and their even dumber riders could even hurt themself … /facepalm

Also leaping off into a ppol of water that is ensured not to be deep enough that the horse can drown, but deep enough, that it will soften good enough the fall is something completely different from swimming somewhere in the far and deep SEA, where everywhere hundreds of miles and hundreds of metres under you is nothing but just WATER, where a horse won’t be able to get contact with any ground to ensure to keep its nose above the water.
Sooner or later a horse won’t have the strength anymore to keep itself up, so sooner or later it WILL DROWN in such a situation, because for a horse to swim and keep up its massive body above water is costing it alot more energy, than it costs us humans energy to swim and keep us above the water to breathe, because we are much lighter than a horse and don’t have so much mass.

The heaviest draft horse in history known weighted 1500 Kilogramms (1,5 TONS).
Even a simple normal horse weights around 380-550 Kilogramms.

A fully grown man normally weights between just between around 70-80 Kilogramms, so much lesser than just.
So if we take the normal horse weight, they weight of to around 5,5 to nearly 8 times as much than a normal human, so the energy that have to use to keep themself up in water, is 5,5 to 8x more of the level of a human, what means, a horse will 5,5 to 8x faster drown in deep water, than a human, if not even faster, because a horse needs to stay constantly in motion to create enough updraft to stay above water, while for a human its enough to create enough updraft with juts minimal hands and feet moves to stay on position above water without having to to be in motion, ie. without havign to actually “swim” to stay above water.
So we humans have in water a large advantage, we can willingly reduce or energy consumption to the minimum needed level to reduce the stress level for our body, while a horse in deep water wil lbe practicalyl permanently under heav stress just to stay above the water… it can’t just reduce its movement, or its weight will just let it drown much quicker.
Horses are just physically NOT MADE for swimming/diving. Unlike for example Hippos, but thats a completely different animal which in fact can swim and dive unlike a horse.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Eggshells.1748

Eggshells.1748

When will people learn finally, that certain races will never come, because Anet clearly has said, that they count for the game#s story as “lesser races”.

So we will never see races become playable that are:

- Ogres
- Quaggan
- Skritt
- Grawls

Dwarfs will never become playable out of lore reason too.. there exists in the game only 1 single Dwarf and that is Ogden, he is already OFFICIALLY the LAST ONE OF HIS KIND for the other races. If you want classical 0815 races like dwarves, elves of millions of sorts and so so, go please play one of the many 0815 MMORPGs that are out there, like LOTRO, WoW and Co. which provide these 0815 races that absolutely every classical mmo rpg has. Guild Wars is different… thats why we have Charr, Asuras and Sylvari and not the typical 0815 pabulum

From all the rest of possibilites that are there I think the only ones that ever should become playable are:

• Tengus
  • Largos (after a redesign)

Centaurs will never become playable out of two simple reasons that should be very easy to grasp

1) They are by design and lore the main enemy currently of the Humans!!
2) Centaurs are unable to swim and dive!! They are simply impossible to design for any Underwater Content
A horse just can barely swim, as long theres ground under their legs, but take away the ground under their legs and the swimming will become quickly a death trap for them once they run out of endurance to keep their massive bodies/nose above the water to breathe.
A horse practically doesn’t swim, it goes through the water as long it has contact to the ground more or less to keep its nose above the water mirror. Or have you ever seen a horse diving under water? Not to mention that Anet would have to make completely new movement animations and all that extra for them just to make them viable for a game content part, that has seen since game release absolutely no attention at all!!

Then rather Largos, which are much more likely to become a playable race, are enemies of no one, have a humanous body shape, so no need to make for them special new animations extra like for a 4 legger it would be needed and which are per se also a much more interestign race, than the Centaurs.
Once we ar so far to go finally again the deep sea dragon, I think it will be most likely that the Largos could become then a playable race, once we learn about htme also alot more…whenever that will be… by the spee we go currently agaisnt the dragons, most likely in like 8+ years or so xD because surely we will set attention first on Jormag, Primordus and Kralkatorrik before we ever get to see the deep sea dragon, nor finally get to know even its name >.>

100% agree with this!

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

snip long uninformed post about horses being unable to swim

I am writing this currently from a horse ranch in Oklahoma. I have been riding and caring for horses since I was too young to remember. Horses swim just fine, they’ll swim across fast rivers with riders on their back. They’ll swim in the ocean, of their own volition, for fun. They have an enormous amount of stamina and buoyancy because of their lung capacity. When swimming they tend to rely on that buoyancy and just keep their heads above water, dog paddling to move across the water.

I’ll grant you, they don’t dive like ducks, although I have seen them lie down completely submerged to cool off. They also can’t swim forever, however, they have been known to out swim humans. Also, the length of time they can swim would seem to be a pretty pointless argument in a game where people can run and swim indefinitely without getting fatigued.

Long story short, that was an awful long post about something you don’t actually seem to know anything about.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: freedomgeass.4756

freedomgeass.4756

Ogden Stonehealer the last dwarf? can someone show me wherew they got this info?
i know hes the last dwarf of the surface but when did we get news on the rest of them being killed off?

karma booster? What karma Booster.

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

They already have 5 species that they don’t succeed at developing their stories.
Seriously, we’re flooded with Sylvari-focused lore from Living Story, many Human-focus content too. A touch of Asura with Waypoints, Norns nothing, Charrs nothing.
Rytlock is a Charr, that’s true, but he’s not its whole specie.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Ogden Stonehealer the last dwarf? can someone show me wherew they got this info?
i know hes the last dwarf of the surface but when did we get news on the rest of them being killed off?

It was actually part of the main story line for Eye of the North in the original Guild Wars. The last Dwarven king performed a ritual and turned himself and all of his people in to stone golems to fight the destroyers. In GW2 lore we discovered that the dwarves that originally weren’t part of the ritual later underwent the rite, by force if necessary, including Ogden. Also, they’re still down there, underground, battling destroyers constantly, without need to eat or sleep and with some strange kind of hive mind consciousness. Even the rebel stone summit dwarves all got converted to join the fight.

The lore is pretty definite on the subject, no playable dwarves, they’re all just the Great Dwarf now.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Ogden is not the last dwarf -alive- he’s simply the last dwarf above the surface. Every other dwarf is either dead or fighting destroyers in the deep, as part of the Great Dwarf.

Of all the suggested “new” races, only the Tengu and (maaaybe) the Largos are realistic choices for lore, practical, and gameplay reasons. They will also most likely be associated with the stories/expansions that deal with Primordus and Bubbles respectively.

That said, I think Largos will be 1000% more effective as a properly fleshed out NPC society.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I wanna play as a Centuar and challenge Human females to races.

If Anet chose Centuar and it did not run faster than the other races I would be very disappointed.

I have played as a four hoofed creature in games like Mabinogi and it is not hard to jump. Your back legs follow where you forlegs go when jumping on small places. Center of balance is in the forfront with the back being more of an animation.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

The problems with a new race, any new race, is the limited amount of new game play that it brings compared to how much work is required to add it. It brings nothing new mechanically to the game, at all. The only real addition would be the starting city, 1/3 of a personal story, and a whole lot of graphics. The graphical work of modeling every single non racial armor in the game for them is enormous, plus the three new racial armors they’d have to model. In the end, you end up with something that really has no impact on the game for months and months of labor. Seriously, all that work, and absolutely no impact whatsoever once you get out of the starter personal story and in to the factions part.

Why would they waste their limited development time on something so overwhelmingly cosmetic?

Flaw with your post where I have made bold. Sure it would be small but I would consider racial skills new mechanics.

That and roleplay and making a lot of people happy and giving them more variety I should say would make it all worth it imo.

“Why would they waste their limited development time on something so overwhelmingly cosmetic?”

You seem to forget just how much of a cosmetic game this is especially after level cap and what some people call end game. It becomes dress up Barbie which hey I am not knocking and many people enjoy. So why would players not want this to extend to the character at the most basic level?

I agree with your general point of view, but said view seems not to be represented by the community “at large”; humans players tend to like female humanoids, and male humanoids first, then “cute things,” then all the rest. While you can make a female Charr look cute, and a male one quite ellegant and less brutish, non human-like races like the Charr will always be underutilized, regardless of amazing, interesting character or RP potential, because most humans don’t care for these things, can’t relate to them, and thus often don’t play them.

I was discussing this with a friend the other day-think about it-if the Charr were “cat people”, and especially easily “cute”, they would likely get played more often than Charr regardless lost lore-or perhaps I have just lost faith in human players, and generalizing too much over what I see everyday (female humans everywhere-not bashing on this as I have my one female human accross my 8 characters. ) Inpressive, but non-cute/non-familiar (and thus largely ignored) races will always remain a niche that I doubt is ANet’s priority, even if WE-an assumed minority-think it would be great for the game universe and ourselves.

Perhaps they just don’t want to invest that much money on new, non-humanoid races due to said reasons. I wonder if it would be an economically wise concept for them to adhere to, given what most of our players seem to prefer (which I have nothings against for, except for the lack of “popular demand” it causes on everything else.)

(For the record, I do not believe Charr should be made to have “more appeal” by “humanizing” them-the above was but a theory to make a point. Also, it should be noted that as of late, ANet seems to be paying the graphics people more to individualize certain outfits for the Charr, though they won’t likely-and sadly-work on the “classic” clip-sasters, and/or “stretch-to-fit” models.)

Talking about “minorities”; isn’t it curious that Raids are “elite content” that’s supposed to be relevant for a minority of “skilled players”? I wonder how that fits the “development time to niche aspects of the game is not an important priority to ANet unless there’s specific, popular demand for it” argument above-perhaps they are a loud minority, or there’s even less demand for a richer variety of player character races (which would be a shame, and I suspect may be the case… $$$ vs “game relevance”, I suppose.)

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

After the Tengu behavior during the Lions Arch attack I hope they never become playable. They have too much to answer for. For the same reason I would not care what some dragon does to them.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.