Sunday morning: Two hours in GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

“You cannot not solo Champion Giant Kol in Harathi Hinterlands”

I have to take exception to this. I soloed Kol in Harathi Hinterlands. He’s abysmally easy to solo as long as you have even a slight tiny amount of knowledge. The only thing you need to know is “Dodge Roll”.

Run to his feet. Attack his feet till he lifts his leg. Dodge roll back when he stomps. Run back to his feet and continue hacking away.

He has a ton of health (Being as he’s a champion) so it will take quite some time but he is FAR from unsoloable.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Hughs.6549

Hughs.6549

SamTheGuardian.2938

I arrive in Divinity’s Reach. Mostly a ghost town. I step outside. I cross the bridge and run past the sprinklers on the hill. Other players! Rangers with bears! A lot of rangers with bears I run with them, but they don’t respond to my local chat. . I don’t like this group, I move on.

Bots spotted xD

Posted by: FXLEACH.9436

FXLEACH.9436

As a player with many years of MMORPG experiences I say this now:

The suggestions forum would have been a much more suitable place for this topic.
If you are going to suggest something do it clearly and sincerely.

If you are serious about the topic you’ve brought up, Sam, I hope to see a thread about it in the suggestions forum soon.

Best wishes,

R

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

To the OP… You got Secrets in the Swamp to spawn?! That quest is so ridiculously hard to catch that I’ve pretty much given up on ever seeing it more than once.

Posted by: Direwolf.7812

Direwolf.7812

God…. Look at all these fanboy’s going crazy just from one person’s post on what they experienced during their 2 hours of gameplay… lol

Whether it’s sunday morning for the OP or not it doesn’t really matter as GW2 is a global game where players play at all different timezones, the OP may be playing on a Sunday morning, but for other people it could be Saturday night prime time for them, or Monday afternoon afterwork/school prime time as well…

The OP is only stating what he experienced during those 2 hours of logging in, in which I am sure A LOT of you out there are experiencing the same because this is simply what is happening right now whether you like it or not.

DE’s are heavily relied upon playerbase, and most areas just do not have enough players on to complete it. Even in Orr where most players are currently situated nowdays to farm karma and loot you would see a DE every now and then with not enough players to complete.

Sure you can be delusional and keep saying there are heaps of players around… But fact is there are only players around places like Orr’s farming spot such as Pent. Outside these area’s its pretty deserted from MY experience…

Is the game dying? No.
But the game is losing its playerbase by quite a lot by the day whilst not many new players are entering (based on the deserted starting areas).

Sure people are taking a break from the game for a few days….
Sure people will all come back for Halloween…
Sure people will all come back after they get bored of Mist of Pandarian…
Sure people will all come back after ….. X Y & Z….

Stop making excuses and face the fact…

The fact is there’s not enough things to keep people entertained, nothing to strive for… nothing to keep people from wanting more…

I do not want to farm Orr for months to rack up half a million Karma.
I do not want to spend 1000-s of gold to throw away into the Mystic Forge in the hopes that the RNG will give me a 0.01% chance or getting a Precursor.

This is not FUN…. this is not what a game should be based upon… We shouldn’t be farming a spot for days & months just to rack up Karma, we shouldn’t throw away all our gold on a RNG magical fountain… But this is what everyone is doing as it IS one of the quickest way to achieve the desired output…

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

1. Most dynamic events (DE’s) are quite soloable.
2. When a DE pops up….did you say something in map chat and link the nearest waypoint? 500g says you do that and more people will show up. its kinda like magic.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

“Most folks I know have map chat turned off 90% of the time. I am curious as to what interesting logic anyone would use to claim map chat chatter is an accurate metric for player population.”

It’s been my experience that most of the “idle chatter” types congregate in Lion’s Arch, where there are other idle chatter types of all levels to talk to. I do see map chatter in other zones, but not to the extent that I see it when I visit LA.

So lack of chatter doesn’t mean anything. The starting areas are pretty populated, and the high level areas as well, but through most of the game world people are more interested in getting stuff done than standing around chatting.

Posted by: Polle.6908

Polle.6908

Assuming you are the correct level and your gear hasn’t fallen too behind, many dynamic events are solo able but require more skill/patience to complete. There are the odd few that may take longer than others because of veterans spawning but with the right traits/weapon/utilities, most can be done without losing to many braincells…. Unless it is a champion then there maybe problems.

While it is unfortunate that you play at such a time, but there are many alternatives to advancing through the game. Some areas are more popular than others so migrating to a different area may help. Join a large guild that is known to have alot of active players may also improve your experience. GW2 lets you join multiple guilds for a reason.

This is not FUN…. this is not what a game should be based upon… We shouldn’t be farming a spot for days & months just to rack up Karma, we shouldn’t throw away all our gold on a RNG magical fountain… But this is what everyone is doing as it IS one of the quickest way to achieve the desired output…

I don’t wan’t to get into this argument but your post is no better or less fanboyish than the ones before you. Not knowing when to separate opinion from fact can be lethal on mmo forums and you just did that with your entire post.

All mmos have some kind of grind to get rewards. GW2 just happens to be mostly cosmetic. Which has come under the spotlight recently. I’m fine with this design model though personally I’m not a big fan of the visual choices of most of the armour. You can always dungeon farm to get rewards, you’re not forced to farm ore or throw your yellows in the mystic forge. They’re just options.

(edited by Polle.6908)

Posted by: CelticWish.2314

CelticWish.2314

Personally this was always a major concern for me. In every other mmo, over time if you aren’t at the end, the game is very barren and very non-mmo like, really a curse. Games typically add new functionality to power-level or just let you start high level characters to get around this big issue.

With GW2 you have/had these options:
1. Play the game right at the start, but that was as I understand it, a kittenized zergfest and couldn’t possibly be the directors vision on how to play the game.

2. Wait and then face possible isolation. Right now it seems you best play a Human if you have concerns like this, as from what I read they are the most requested race.

3. There is still plenty to solo.

4. Remember it’s a mmo and group up.

I’m glad to hear the minimum is 3, that is the number I’ll be playing GW 2 with from start to finish. The places I have been just testing the waters solo, have had enough people around to do the DE’s 80%+ of the time. This only two short months after release. Sounds like an issue for those that aren’t bringing group members with them to play a mmo.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

The hell is the point of this thread? My experience is the exact opposite on dragon brand. Im always running into people to do events with across all zones. All of our servers are full or high now….no medium pops left. And the game is gonna explode with the content patches. Find a new guild bro.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

@Red Falcon said Btw it’s curious you did not mention your class, level, what events you were doing, etc. It doesn’t seems like you’re looking for advice, it sounds a lot like “I already made my mind up and don’t want to hear anything beside other one-sided complaints, I will never consider I’m doing something wrong”.
I lvl’d 3 chars to 80 completely solo and didn’t have any issue; perhaps consider you might be in need of help?

Going to address these two points in reverse order. Starting with your boast about soloing the game with 3 characters and not having any issue. There’s a lot of room there. You obviously didn’t solo every dynamic event. You played through your personal story solo, that’s understandable. I did that on my level 80 as well. It seems you’re trying to make a case that this MMORPG was designed for solo play and that’s simply not true. If they wanted to make GW2 a solo game it would have been. Group events are designed for group play. The game world is designed to come alive and feel a certain way when it’s populated with other players. This is core to the games inherent design as an MMORPG. GW1 was by design a soloable experience. GW2 is not. The developer has gone on record in interview stating GW2 is different from GW1 in this regard. If you want to believe otherwise you are free to, but this is not something I’ll be continuing a discussion around.

Regarding my intent with the OP. I did not want to make the original post long. Aside from its purpose of generating discussion being a forum post it’s primary purpose was to document an experience for the ArenaNet developers. This experience is not a positive one. I don’t give a kitten about all the players telling me how they were able to solo this or that or that their servers are full or that the problem I’m having doesn’t exist in sPvP zones all of this occurs above. Some fans love a product so much they will fight anyone who expresses an idea or opinion that negatively positions something they believe in. GW2 has some very serious cracks in it’s core. Running around the game world on a weekend two months after the game launched and having this kind of issues and obviously I’m not alone it says a lot about where the game is right now. Do you really want to try and attack the messenger? ArenaNet already has the data. They don’t need me to tell them a server is empty, but as a player I can type out my experience. That’s not something that can be generated on a report from collected data. That’s a human experience with their product, a rather negative experience at that. I appreciate the healthy discussion.

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

While Sam the OP makes some fair points, most don’t hold true for me and my server.

1. I was sleeping at 730AM on Sunday so will not comment on what my server(Sorrows Furnace) was doing at that time. It has been busy most days be it weekends or weekday mornings.

2. Most DE’s are not that difficult to solo. I have 1 of each class and only run into a handfull that can’t be solo’d. I haven’t done them all, because even my lvl 80 Ranger is only 45% or so map completion. I am sure there are a few more that need a group to complete.

3. Why do people have to call everyone like me who don’t agree with complainers “Fanboys”? I do my share of complaining here and I don’t agree with what the OP is complaining about.

So my suggestions Sam are to follow one of the suggestions that many have mentioned already.

If your guilds are dead then find a new guild that isn’t dead. At the same time you are joining ask them how busy they are at times you play so you don’t get into another “My guild is dead at the times I play” situation again.

If you can’t find a guild on your server that fits then you are going to have to consider changing servers. If it comes to that then do it while the transfer is still free or you will have something new to complain about.

If you are really having difficulty with most DE’s solo then I can only suggest you look at your gear, look at your skill setup and do some research. You can keep your repair costs down by picking at the edges and kiting more on the difficult ones. Even if it fails you still gain some exp and Karma from it. Focus more on not dying.

Good Luck Sam, hope things work out for you a bit better.

Posted by: Eurosdown.6072

Eurosdown.6072

While there is a fair point buried in the OP, the post itself seems designed to start forum drama. I agree that it sucks to have to skip some DEs because they are extremely difficult to solo, and that this scenario becomes a little too common in the higher level zones, especially the zones in Ascalon, which seem a lot less populated than the western zones (probably because they are visually boring and repetitive).

Posted by: Alyssa.7254

Alyssa.7254

Well I think I saw awhile back where somebody posted active times based on hour of different servers, but that was weeks ago so idk if it would be accurate anymore. However if you find it again you could transfer to a server that better suits your playing times.

Also keep in mind, probably in the next few months (hopefully sooner) guesting will be up and running and you can guest to an EU server whose peak times better match your own playing times.

Until then the best you can do is actively look for a guild that states their playtimes are your play times.

Posted by: Tharjax.9068

Tharjax.9068

I actually agree with the OP. I made a thread a while back about the two 40-50 zones being desolate.

Now that I am 56 I am experiencing the same thing. Very desolate and “alone” feel to these zones.

Don’t get me wrong because i really, REALLY like this game, but something needs to be done.

IMO ANet should increase server size and start merging servers so that we can get populated zones and have people to play with. It just sucks having to do all these hearts and DE’s by yourself, I want to see the zones active with players, i mean hell even seeing 10 players throughout my gaming session would be nice.

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

I would rather have people like OP post more valid concerns then to read crap from fanatics like you. So i suggest you leave and not log into forums if you can not handle criticism.

I see, your doing the whole your a “fanatic fan boy” because I disagree. So by that logic your the “whiny troll poster” right?

I am still waiting for an actual fact to support the claim that servers are dead and the sky is falling.

Look at the servers in the world selection screen. there are threads on it popping up today.

Have you checked out any3rd party sites that maintain log in or population information. How many people logged in over the weekend?

Oh please stop with your ‘i disagree’ crap. You simply just didn’t disagree you told op to quit and leave. That is a typical fanboy reply. People who disagree they do so respectfully and move on. Instead you are still here posting the same nonsense over and over again.

You want to see whiny troll? read your first post again. By the way no one said that server are dead and game is failing.

That is not even the main concern of OP. If you were less emotional and actually tried to read properly you would know that is not what is being discussed here.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

my saturday >.>

Its 8 AM i think it will be fine to farm orr a little hoping there will be less people…i get there but is quite full as usual ._. (with the same 5 bots and lot of legit players).
My guildmates seems doesn t need to sleep but i don t want to play too seriously in the morning…

A warrior summons a banner >.> i get near silenltly, steal it and run away: the warrior follows me mad (well we laugh together in the end)

then i go to divinity’s reach…i have some old ram tonics ._. so i pretend to be an NPC following newbies…..
They starts running in circles to see if i am actually an NPC XD then asks in the map what they should do with the npc ram

Then jormag’s claw spawns followed by shatterer >,> and i catch up with my guild mates to kill the dragons…..

if you want to farm lvl 50 zreas the best thing is to have friends….

BTW: the problem is mostly that people will farm dungeons and orr at higher lvl .-. they gives too much compared to any other activity so people just wants to do those….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: chimecat.9082

chimecat.9082

I don’t understand the idea that DEs are the primary or necessary form of progression. After doing my starting area and getting used to the game, I find myself in a map for:
1. map completion, doesn’t require events
2. personal quest, doesn’t require events; or
3. farming nodes/mats, doesn’t require events

It’s nice to drop by a couple of DEs if they’re nearby, but I don’t focus on them. If that’s what you want to do, be like everyone else and go farm karma in one of the hotspots. You will always find plenty of people around the maps with Shatterer, Claw of Jormag, The Straits of Devastation, and the Cursed Shore. If that bothers you, it’s a little different from saying that you can’t do anything because your current map is empty.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

@OP I agree with you that some areas are quiet empty. But, imo, this is not because the server is death (at least desolation is not). It is because for most MMOers level 80 takes a month max and so, on desolation, you see the RBs in the level 80+ areas filled with people most of the time. Tools for finding parties could be improved, a tool to find an active guild would be nice and more guild only activities would help you.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Last post here, as I dont like to get dragged into discussion with peoples whose minds are already made up…

With the exception of World Events, most Dynamic Events are playable solo. Even some champions can be killed solo.

No they are not solo – please state the truth in the matter. Zones are empty Orr is a mess, WvW has collapsed with free transfers and Spvp is unbalanced.
Why do you think the big guns have come out talking now (colin)? Because people
are leaving in droves (no gems to buy) and they are very unhappy about endgame.

Posted by: InfiniteRetro.9865

InfiniteRetro.9865

servers are FULL because they have the slots taken up by player accounts. its that simple. if a server is say, 1000 at cap, you have 1000 people making that server their home server. it doesnt mean its FULL it means its filled out its quota. it could still say its full yet only have 100 people active.

Posted by: Calavera.1086

Calavera.1086

servers are FULL because they have the slots taken up by player accounts. its that simple. if a server is say, 1000 at cap, you have 1000 people making that server their home server. it doesnt mean its FULL it means its filled out its quota. it could still say its full yet only have 100 people active.

Wrong! Servers are listed as full/high/medium based on the active players not accounts created there. That’s why a server can be full on peak hours and drop to high during low activity times.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

I have no trouble finding random peeps to do DE’s with, even at 4:00 – 6:00 in the morning. Champion fights might be tricky in the early hours, but weekends / evenings almost every champion spawn gets pounced on within minutes, and I’m sure my server (Desolation) isn’t the only one which has a lot of active players 24/7.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

So essentially you’re complaining that you need other people to progress in a Massively Multiplayer Online game?

Rrright…

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Archaeneoso.8461

Archaeneoso.8461

And he didnt stick his head in WvWvW at all.

Now maybe if he is on Kaineng that woulda been low too at that time of the morning, but there would be someone in there you could assist with some goal.

The whole OP comes out as a whine about, on his current server, there were people online just waiting for him to join them. Free server transfers are still in place if you need to find one with a population at 7:30 am on Sunday mornings.

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

I wish it was like this in the lv 80 area, the zerg up there is just horrendous.

Posted by: kiranslee.4829

kiranslee.4829

68 of 72 ppl in guild im in are off for weeks now , some already stated they quit some just left off for weeks.
WvW on my server is almost dead.
Maps other then “ori” are almost 100% empty.
Grindfest for karma in orr is now botfest – more then 5 ppl seen there are using bots to grind events for karma (they will get legendary wile legit players have no chance unless they play 12h per day).
So, what legit player is to do ? Should i change guilds all the time till all of them die ? Ppl ARE leaving , and its not small amount of ppl. New zones are empty coz we dont get new ppl almost at all as i see.
World bosses are joke.
Instances are terribad , to hard or to easy with sad rewards.
sPvP is pointless for some classes.
Bugs are rarly or ot at all fixed.
And so on and on …..

So my question is , what am i to do ? Should i use bot to grind karma ?
Leave like many others do ?
What is there to do in GW2 after 1 month of playing ???

Posted by: Many Pesky Monk.3140

Many Pesky Monk.3140

Wrong! Servers are listed as full/high/medium based on the active players not accounts created there. That’s why a server can be full on peak hours and drop to high during low activity times.

Actually, I believe you’re wrong. There was a discussion on that on these forums a while back and it was proven that the only reason they say high or full all the time, is because of the amount of players that have made it their home server not player activity. The server could be empty as kitten but it would still say high or full. But whatever.

(edited by Many Pesky Monk.3140)

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

Players log
2012-10-21

07:30

The three guilds I’m currently in are empty. I take a survey, four people respond when I ask in map chat who’s out there I run around through several empty dynamic events. The game is built with dynamic events being a critical component of story delivery, but they aren’t designed to be solo-able.

I could try my luck, crack my armor, spend my in-game savings. This is so frustrating. I do a few heart quest, one has me gathering items and taking them back to an NPC, I get bored quickly. I try for the next chapter of my personal story but fail it. It wants me to be two levels higher than I currently am. My armor isn’t good enough, have to grind….

08:30

I’m in Lions Arch selling loot and doing a little crafting. My loot is mostly whites and blues. trash items. I take what bronze I can get. I’m bored, going to check out the human starter area maybe there are other players there in zone for my level.

I arrive in Divinity’s Reach. Mostly a ghost town. I step outside. I cross the bridge and run past the sprinklers on the hill. Other players! Rangers with bears! A lot of rangers with bears I run with them, but they don’t respond to my local chat. . I don’t like this group, I move on.

In the swamps I see a very large creature spawn. He’s huge. We have three others players here trying to take him down, but simply not enough to make it work. We all die many times before giving up the fight.

09:30

Signing out…

This really is the weakest attempt at “The game is dying” I have ever seen in my life.

It’s Sunday morning, some of us actually like to sleep in on the weekends because we were up late either out, or playing GW2 the night before.

Did you ever think not everyone wants to wake up at 7:30 am on a Sunday morning?

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

If the event says “group event” then yes its not soloable (or if it is, its far too tedious)

If its a DE it can be soloable if you play decent enough… do learn to take some losses in some events…

Ffor instance if its keep X npc alive defend one or two npcs leave the rest to die, you will beat the DE.

If its a veteran, learn your interrupts (blind, daze, stun) and dodge the big hits only.

If its a retake X place remember to pull, never rush into things.

I’ve had trouble with DE only when there is people AFK nearby (or really inexperienced players) which do make the events impossible as its scaled to more people while only 1 doing the work…

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I find it best instead of wishing there were people where you are, to go to them instead.

Instead of wishing there’s people in your guild, belong to a good guild.

Instead of going to Divinity’s Reach (of all places, seriously no one’s been there since launch), try Lion’s Arch, try WvW, try sPvP, try zones where there AREN’T any hearts. That’s where the players are.

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

If it is so bad, quit and leave. Trying to grip at the rest of us via the forums is useless. Had you been on my server, I would never had heard the OP anyway, because I generally keep map chat off because of people just like the OP spamming it with complaints that no one is on. The last thing I need is my chat spammed with whiners crying about population.

I do not care what MMO you play and how many millions are or are not playing it, there will be places we do not congregate in.

Please OP remain signed out. It gets old stumbling across post such as this that are the decay of the forums, because I was doing something somewhere different, and because we didn’t flock to what ever DE you were doing to join you. (which I do not really believe you, or you would at least mention the name of the event, level, and location)

Heck, there are zones I haven’t even set foot in yet. But I guess since we all are not doing the same DE you are, we are all at fault. Let us know next time so we can all drop what we are doing and accommodate you. I apologize for having fun with my guild in WvW this morning, next time we will abandon such frivolous fun so we can go do dynamic events in PvE to take you feel crowded.

I would rather have people like OP post more valid concerns then to read crap from fanatics like you. So i suggest you leave and not log into forums if you can not handle criticism.

And yes it is a valid concern. In MMOS where questing is the main form of progression you can log in at any off times and still progress but in GW2 you can not do so because progression is heavily dependent upon DE’s.

I have stopped playing GW2 at off times even if i have free time because i know there won’t be enough players in PVE to get DE’s done.

Since when group DE are required to “progress” in this game? The only one I will grant you is if you have to do Arah as your last step in the storyline, and there aren’t enough players to clear the gates. Aside from that, I can’t think of anything else that “blocks progress”, as most DEs are optional, even if some may be very rewarding. There are so many things to do at any given time that could help you get “further” in the game, without engaging in group activities.

IMHO, I LOVE that this game almost enforces cooperative play-solo play will only get you so far, even as a Guardian, and frankly, though I could solo most of this game’s content with my own, I rather do it with good company (even my current “solo PvE” build is geared with a party/group mentality, because you never know who may show up that may benefit from my party/group support options.) Initially, I thought the game was weaker than GW1 on this regard (cooperative play, since there’s so much you can do solo), but in the long run, he/she who gets into groups/parties “wins”, as is hinted even from the beginning areas, with some ridiculously tough group DEs on those early maps (which again are for the most part OPTIONAL, so it’s also OK if there are not that many people on-just do someting else instead.)

“I have stopped playing GW2 at off times even if i have free time because i know there won’t be enough players in PVE to get DE’s done.”

^Not true at all, I am not very chatty on map unless somebody has a game question I can help with, and I will help with events if I have the time, but if I am busy with something else, not showing up at a particular DE doesn’t mean that I do not exist on said map. I think people mistake map chattiness and DE participation as the only gauges for map activity. Some people are very quiet, even in games-I know I am.

I do not mean to be negative, or continue needless arguments, though, so feel free to disagree. I just know from my own playing experience that what you stated is very different from my own in-game observations.

Posted by: zoobaby.7804

zoobaby.7804

Players log
2012-10-21

07:30

The three guilds I’m currently in are empty. I take a survey, four people respond when I ask in map chat who’s out there I run around through several empty dynamic events. The game is built with dynamic events being a critical component of story delivery, but they aren’t designed to be solo-able.

I could try my luck, crack my armor, spend my in-game savings. This is so frustrating. I do a few heart quest, one has me gathering items and taking them back to an NPC, I get bored quickly. I try for the next chapter of my personal story but fail it. It wants me to be two levels higher than I currently am. My armor isn’t good enough, have to grind….

08:30

I’m in Lions Arch selling loot and doing a little crafting. My loot is mostly whites and blues. trash items. I take what bronze I can get. I’m bored, going to check out the human starter area maybe there are other players there in zone for my level.

In the swamps I see a very large creature spawn. He’s huge. We have three others players here trying to take him down, but simply not enough to make it work. We all die many times before giving up the fight.

09:30

Signing out…

This really is the weakest attempt at “The game is dying” I have ever seen in my life.

It’s Sunday morning, some of us actually like to sleep in on the weekends because we were up late either out, or playing GW2 the night before.

Did you ever think not everyone wants to wake up at 7:30 am on a Sunday morning?

Let’s see, Sunday Morning at 7:30 (guessing in USA, so let’s call it Eastern Time Zone). Pretty much everyone west of you is sleeping still. East of you, football (soccer for us Americans) kicking off all over Europe at that time.

Now if you are talking 7:30 Pacific Time zone, then you have these factors to consider. Football/Soccer in Europe is in full swing. Church is going on the Eastern and Central time zones of the US. The NFL kicks off at 10am, so many people on the east coast are already tailgating.

After the initial rush to 80 weekends, most Sundays are low pop events, even on high pop servers.

SBI native and Altoholic
[Rage] Smelly Tree Sap — Band Camp Babe — Bannned Character--Spooner

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

When I played WoW during it’s most popular time (12 million accounts at that time) I started a new character on a Saturday morning.

The starting zone was empty.

As I leveled up the character I very rarely ran into anyone anywhere.

This is the nature of a level based game. The majority of players are well beyond the starting levels. If you had gone to the level 80 zone you probably would have experienced a whole bunch of players.

I was amazed when I checked server populations this morning at around 9am Eastern (Monday morning no less) and found a lot of servers listed as ‘full.’

I haven’t seen that in an MMO a month+ after it’s release ever.

Now, if your point is about dynamic events – you can do most of them solo at the appropriate levels. Plus, if you run into difficulty with one, chances are that there will be at least one other lonely player in the zone with you and they will probably be very happy to join in.

On my server, Tarnished Coast, there are always helpful people everywhere. I started a new character yesterday morning (Sunday morning at around 10am Eastern) and saw many people running around the newbie starting zone for Asura.

As always, your experiences will vary but playing at one of the quietest times of the week in a zone that the majority of players are well beyond is begging for a quiet experience regardless of which MMO you’re playing.

Posted by: Dracones.9105

Dracones.9105

I’m sorry, but there’s 5 racial areas of heart content and skill challenges. I’ve gone to other racial areas plenty of times and nailed out events and hearts. Then there’s WvW and PvP. GW2 is far from lacking in content for the early AM crowd.

The biggest issue is the game needs a decent LFG finder for the 30+ dungeons and they need to up the rewards on story modes.

Then anyone can level up 30 in any of the racial zones and hit the LFG for dungeon PUGs when popping out hearts gets boring.

Posted by: Phenomenal.5902

Phenomenal.5902

So you decided to do DEs at 07:00 on a Sunday instead of crafting, farming, class quests, map completion or multiple other things this game has to offer that can be done solo…

I see the issue and it’s not the game or the community it’s a lack of common sense.

Edit: Typos :/

(edited by Phenomenal.5902)

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

What I’ve noticed is that absolutely any time I go to one of the dragon spawns, there’s oodles of people there waiting to get their chest rewards.

I’ve had a longish period of convalescence, not working, not always sleeping, could play for short stretches. So I just parked characters at the dragon spawns and came on for them.

Primetime – yep they’re busy. 2 AM on a weekday – yep they’re busy. 6 am on a weekend – yep.

My point is, you don’t have to make up some story about how video game players are also football fans who go to church. In a game where you get a level per hour, after almost 2 months of play, most of the activity is NOT in the lowbie lands.

Witness, there’s never anymore “overflow” for lowbie lands, but there’s quite often “overflow” for Lion’s Arch.

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

The game is just fine, I am leveling an alt right now and every zone I go to I see people everywhere.

You also have to keep in mind that people might be playing their level 80’s…

Also WvW is VERY active to the point of long queues…

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I’m going to suggest that you first check to see if you are on a strong WvW server to switch to a mediocre one. Northern Shiverpeaks (if you are NA AU) and i can suggest a guild or two you can join. Basically if you’re on a heavy PVP server PVE content will be mostly a solo deal. Switching now, while it’s free might be in your best interest. I play early Sunday mornings as well (7am PDT) it is pretty quiet, that is definitely not a peak time. You really only need one or two buddies on your schedule to change the entire experience for the better.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

What’s really killing the game is this insipid WvW thing.

It’s a great idea in itself. But AreaNet made the insanely stupid decision to make it apply to PvE too! So if you picked the wrong server back when the game launched and all you find are bots instead of real human players on it, you’re stuck with them.

User will be infracted for this post.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I’m still finding no one in lv 60+ maps This content is hard for me to solo even with the best build for an ele Dagger/Dagger I was lucky that someone came to help me (another ele) when I stumbled upon a Champion Jungle skelk in a small corner of a minor jump puzzle for a vista. One of us could not kill it but two of us can.

If she wasn’t there, I would have died and damaged my armor again. I have to constantly repair stuff as there is no one to do events in 60+ maps, so its basically try your luck to solo it, avoid the events entirely, or die being boxed in with no way out.

Usually I’ll die constantly and I get frustrated and want to just rage quit. I wish players would start appearing in these map to get events cleared so I can just worry about mapping it out/ and farming platinum/mithril/etc.

Heck, there are zones I haven’t even set foot in yet. But I guess since we all are not doing the same DE you are, we are all at fault. Let us know next time so we can all drop what we are doing and accommodate you. I apologize for having fun with my guild in WvW this morning, next time we will abandon such frivolous fun so we can go do dynamic events in PvE to take you feel crowded.

Its not that anyone is expecting anyone to drop what they are doing and come to these vacant 60-70 and 70-80 maps, its that most of us that are upset here are expecting people to be more friendly and help out when they are on the maps not being an kitten and saying, “I do not want to help you because you can’t play like I can, and solo everything, which I seem to be seeing a lot of lately.”

I am a fan of the game but, I can at least see its glaring flaws and weaknesses and speak out against them. I’m not no blind kool aid drinking fanboy.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

If it is so bad, quit and leave. Trying to grip at the rest of us via the forums is useless. Had you been on my server, I would never had heard the OP anyway, because I generally keep map chat off because of people just like the OP spamming it with complaints that no one is on. The last thing I need is my chat spammed with whiners crying about population.

I do not care what MMO you play and how many millions are or are not playing it, there will be places we do not congregate in.

Please OP remain signed out. It gets old stumbling across post such as this that are the decay of the forums, because I was doing something somewhere different, and because we didn’t flock to what ever DE you were doing to join you. (which I do not really believe you, or you would at least mention the name of the event, level, and location)

And yes it is a valid concern. In MMOS where questing is the main form of progression you can log in at any off times and still progress but in GW2 you can not do so because progression is heavily dependent upon DE’s.

I have stopped playing GW2 at off times even if i have free time because i know there won’t be enough players in PVE to get DE’s done.

Since when group DE are required to “progress” in this game? The only one I will grant you is if you have to do Arah as your last step in the storyline, and there aren’t enough players to clear the gates. Aside from that, I can’t think of anything else that “blocks progress”, as most DEs are optional, even if some may be very rewarding. There are so many things to do at any given time that could help you get “further” in the game, without engaging in group activities.

IMHO, I LOVE that this game almost enforces cooperative play-solo play will only get you so far, even as a Guardian, and frankly, though I could solo most of this game’s content with my own, I rather do it with good company (even my current “solo PvE” build is geared with a party/group mentality, because you never know who may show up that may benefit from my party/group support options.) Initially, I thought the game was weaker than GW1 on this regard (cooperative play, since there’s so much you can do solo), but in the long run, he/she who gets into groups/parties “wins”, as is hinted even from the beginning areas, with some ridiculously tough group DEs on those early maps (which again are for the most part OPTIONAL, so it’s also OK if there are not that many people on-just do someting else instead.)

“I have stopped playing GW2 at off times even if i have free time because i know there won’t be enough players in PVE to get DE’s done.”

^Not true at all, I am not very chatty on map unless somebody has a game question I can help with, and I will help with events if I have the time, but if I am busy with something else, not showing up at a particular DE doesn’t mean that I do not exist on said map. I think people mistake map chattiness and DE participation as the only gauges for map activity. Some people are very quiet, even in games-I know I am.

I do not mean to be negative, or continue needless arguments, though, so feel free to disagree. I just know from my own playing experience that what you stated is very different from my own in-game observations.

DE are the main content of GW2 when it comes to PVE.

Do you know that hearts were not even in game and were added later on because people wanted something more traditional like questing? the whole PVE in GW2 is designed around DE’s with hearts being a later addition to give players some familiarity with GW2 progression.

So yes it is not just my opinion on this matter but how GW2 has been designed.

Oh and not all of us are playing Guardians but thanks for your opinion.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.